The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Italy: Match thread

+51
Heaf
Hound_of_Harrow
belovedfrosties
George Carlin
ChequeredJersey
formerly known as Sam
BigTrevsbigmac
Taffineastbourne
Mad for Chelsea
Knowsit17
trebellbobaggins
Coleman
Wi11
majesticimperialman
Mr Bounce
nobbled
sickofwendy
rainbow-warrior
Scoped
kingelderfield
logie28
Taylorman
mankiaow
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LeinsterFan4life
A World Cup and 3 Finals
GLove39
Duty281
whocares
SecretFly
LondonTiger
Casartelli
thebluesmancometh
wales606
bsando
Breadvan
Geordie
glamorganalun
RuggerBoy
t1000advancedprototype
lostinwales
Looseheaded
Morgannwg
Alex_Germany
aitchw
Hood83
Barney McGrew did it
RDSguru
100%beefy
EnglishReign
nathan
55 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

England vs Italy: Match thread - Page 6 Empty England vs Italy: Match thread

Post by nathan Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:04 am

First topic message reminder :

So what are peoples predictions? It's snowing in Leicester, so I presume similar weather at Twickenham?

I have a bad feeling about this game and don't think England will run away with it as many are predicting.

nathan

Back to top Go down

England vs Italy: Match thread - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs Italy: Match thread

Post by Casartelli Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I can't understand how England got away with not supporting their body weight over the tackled player thoughout the game but got away with it.

Lol, they've been doing that since 1998!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

England vs Italy: Match thread - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs Italy: Match thread

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

nathan wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:What an interesting final game coming up Wales need to win by 8, not 48 as expected.

Expected by who exactly?

Pretty much anyone tbf, the bookies point spread was in the high 20's for this game. This is one of the closest ever games between italy and england, most games england win by around 30.

Historically this was a terrible and unusual result for england, its not unreasonable to expect in a year when england are strong that theyd do better than this

It was just poor.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

Disappointingly Flood and Care didn't take their chances (a bit like Hartley didn't last week).

We need Farrell back, B Youngs, a no 8 (Haskell or Morgan). And after the 6N SL has to sort the back 3 out or he'll have lost it for me.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

Not wishing this to sound like a wind-up but based on what I've just seen I feel Wales should have nothing to fear next week. I would be quite happy if England brought that game to Cardiff next week.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

Casartelli wrote:As a neutral, I think rugby was the winner today. Italy were fearless and played some of the most positive rugby of the 6N so far. Fantastic underdog performance but England never really looked like losing.

I thought so even in the first half but second half kinda changed my mind.

I think England expected to win today working off third gear...retain energy levels for next week and still win comfortably. I think the plan was almost scuppered.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

Exactly the sort of game England needed. They played badly and realised they were beatable.

Hopefully this will give us the best possible game next weekend: A resurgant Wales against an England that have had a scare and will play to the best of their abilities.

May the best team win.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

Clancy cost italy the game. England were constantly infringing at the breakdown

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

Oh dear! Gutted we couldn't pull away and stick Burns on for 20. Flood was very average, I can see why Farrell is preferred now.

Still, best game to put in your worst performance.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

Well played Italy! England need to up the aggression. How many turnovers did England win? Not enough. Against the ABs we were so effective at winning the turnover. What's happened?

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:Disappointingly Flood and Care didn't take their chances (a bit like Hartley didn't last week).

We need Farrell back, B Youngs, a no 8 (Haskell or Morgan). And after the 6N SL has to sort the back 3 out or he'll have lost it for me.

Largely agree. Goode just lacks oomph and Brown was caught in defence again. Ashton got one good chance in the game. Flood did fine though IMO.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

Well what a relief for England. I never did think that England would win by a cricket score like some posters on here did. Italy could be disapointed for not putting the game away when they had the chance.

England will need to play a different game next week against Wales.

Looking forward to next week and Wales in Cardiff. Will the roof be open or shut? Will it make a difference to how the game is played?

A good win for England.

But well played to Italy for making a real game of it.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:57 pm

Goode had a shocker. Dodgy tackler, messed up several attacks when coming into the line and was poor under the high ball. That's a high price to pay for his (admittedly reliable) defensive positioning.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

They say Wales need to win by 8 points to take the championship. Is this true?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Well played Italy! England need to up the aggression. How many turnovers did England win? Not enough. Against the ABs we were so effective at winning the turnover. What's happened?

Oh come on, we all know what happened you just don't want to admit it Rolling Eyes

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

All I can see is Gatland sitting there wondering which of the 60-70 players on the list in front of him will actually get over the line.

25 penalties and 4 tries in 3 matches this round. A try every hour. Next week should be interesting though one for purists and fans only. picard

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
nathan wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:What an interesting final game coming up Wales need to win by 8, not 48 as expected.

Expected by who exactly?

Pretty much anyone tbf, the bookies point spread was in the high 20's for this game. This is one of the closest ever games between italy and england, most games england win by around 30.

Historically this was a terrible and unusual result for england, its not unreasonable to expect in a year when england are strong that theyd do better than this

It was just poor.

Thankyou, you beat me to it, even C Woodward stated England would win by 5 tries.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Morgannwg wrote:They say Wales need to win by 8 points to take the championship. Is this true?

Yep, then Inverdale said 7 would level it (and Wales have more tries), but I don't think that was right
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:00 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Clancy cost italy the game. England were constantly infringing at the breakdown

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:00 pm

Morgannwg wrote:They say Wales need to win by 8 points to take the championship. Is this true?

England's points difference is +43.
Wales' points difference is +29.

So yes, 8 points or more will do it for Wales. A 7 point win will make it level on points difference and I have no idea what happens then.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:00 pm

Taylorman, this 6N has been truely abysmal.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Taylorman wrote:All I can see is Gatland sitting there wondering which of the 60-70 players on the list in front of him will actually get over the line.

25 penalties and 4 tries in 3 matches this round. A try every hour. Next week should be interesting though one for purists and fans only. picard

And only 2 of those 4 tries came from B&I teams, and both came from forwards.

Italy were the most creative team this weekend
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Barritt, Goode, Ashton, Wood -and plenty more do not deserve to play next week. Mako cannot scrummage well enough to start against a strong Welsh scrum.

Scrum - No idea, but poorer than Wales'

Lineout - Ok, just about.

Carrying - Pish poor - no supporting runners, the only player in credit Haskell despite what Jiffy says.

Rucking - Excellent...for 10 minutes.

Defence - Breached continually.

Kicking - Aimless, the chase was terrible.

Running lines - A joke, absolutely terrible. Flood as too deep, but Farrell has been too all tournament.

We need Morgan or B Vunipola back at 8 quickly. Brown at 15 and somehow to find 2 international class wingers asap. Barritt? No, sorry, when he doesn't defend, he offers nothing.

Some good players in this team, but not enough yet.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Yes, but Wales have to win first.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Taylorman wrote:All I can see is Gatland sitting there wondering which of the 60-70 players on the list in front of him will actually get over the line.

World cup final was a real classic though wasnt it

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Well played Italy! England need to up the aggression. How many turnovers did England win? Not enough. Against the ABs we were so effective at winning the turnover. What's happened?

Oh come on, we all know what happened you just don't want to admit it Rolling Eyes

I know I am going to regret this - what's your theory bluesman?

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

Yes, but Wales have to win first.

Hence why I said win. It's quite cleary written in English.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

Care never plays well when he starts. Always looks good off the bench though. Youngs and Farrell need to start next week, hopefully Morgan too.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

If eng were plus 7 after yesterday, why are they still pus 7 now rather than than plus 14?

I was thinking that it was 15 Wales needed?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Clancy cost italy the game. England were constantly infringing at the breakdown
Not forgetting he totally c****d up giving the forward pass against Italy on Sergio's break. And even ignored his touch judge furious

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

I'm bitterly disappointed you haven't congratulated England on a hard-fought win yet. I do hope it's down to laziness and not arrogance.

And just to show my heart's in the right place commiserations for next week, I'm sure you'll do very well.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:

England's points difference is +43.
Wales' points difference is +29.

So yes, 8 points or more will do it for Wales. A 7 point win will make it level on points difference and I have no idea what happens then.

It goes to tries scored/conceded, that gives Wales the advantage. Thanks for clearing that up by the way.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:

I'm bitterly disappointed you haven't congratulated England on a hard-fought win yet. I do hope it's down to laziness and not arrogance.

And just to show my heart's in the right place commiserations for next week, I'm sure you'll do very well.

Laugh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

Lol, that's a point mort, where's the congratulations on the win???

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

Yes it is true.

If Wales win by 7 it goes on points difference, if the points difference is the same, then it goes on tries scored.

If their are the same tries scored then it becomes a draw.

I think.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:If eng were plus 7 after yesterday, why are they still pus 7 now rather than than plus 14?

8pt Wales win = +8 Wales and -8 England
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

Oh, of course it will. Duh. Forgetting each plus point is a negative for the other.

Wales should have this then at home. England playing like that are in trouble.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

Parrise hands down best 8 in world rugby!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

I thought he was brilliant. Italy as a whole played so well.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:If eng were plus 7 after yesterday, why are they still pus 7 now rather than than plus 14?

As it's Eng v Wal, every point Wales get is taken off of England's PD. Hence only 8 point margin needed.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

Correction : Wales have to win by 7, without conceeding 2 more tries than they score (3 for England to win outright)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

Yup thanks. I was being stupid.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:09 pm

No joking, I can see a Welsh win by 2 or 3.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

nathan wrote:

Are the congrats in order first or perhaps some humble pie for starters?

We'll smash Italy and then smash Wales (probably won't beat Wales by quite as many as we're away)

Smile

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Well Massi and Parisse have gone for England over Wales. Hope it's not a poisoned chalice.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Thank you and well done Italy. You put us under the cosh today and tested us more than anyone else yet this tournament. We needed that and it will have done us more good than an easy victory would have done in preparation for next week.

Wales will have no fears but they know they have things to iron out as well. It will be an immense game next week for us, Wales and Ireland because if Italy bring the same to that game it's going to be tough.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:12 pm

I really have no idea on how to call the next game, if we play like that we'll lose for certain. Thought Care didn't play well, Flood wasn't too happy about.

Thought t. Youngs carried well and his line out throwing was spot on (never normally gets a mention when it goes well) I do hope Morgan is back as we really need more carriers against the big Wales backs.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
nathan wrote:

Are the congrats in order first or perhaps some humble pie for starters?

We'll smash Italy and then smash Wales (probably won't beat Wales by quite as many as we're away)

Smile

I think you should read the first post on this thread then come back....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

out of interest, when was the last time England lost by seven points or more? second test in SA? (can't remember the exact score but seem to remember it was comfortable for SA).

on today's game, England were OK in the first half but butchered a few chances, then dreadful in the next 20 minutes before defending pretty solidly in the final quarter. Care had a good enough first 20 but then faded out of the game completely while Flood tried a bit too hard and just doesn't bring the control that Farell does. Vunipola carried well, and scrummaged OK. Youngs did enough to start over Hartley for me, carried very well, and his line-out work wasn't too bad. We could do with a bit more bulk in the backrow, so hopefully Morgan will be fit next week.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:18 pm

Sir Clive made me chuckle.Before the game he predicted 5 tries for Ingerland and after the game he said it was always going to be a tough game.PratusMaximus !!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

Not aimed at you nathan. The poster who wrote that quote knows very well who they are and will probably read over this thread at some point, though I don't expect a direct response as per. Such a recent post I simply couldn't resist unearthing in the face of today, the irony is too sweet to say no to.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next