The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Of The Best Rafa/Nole Matches?

+5
HM Murdock
Danny_1982
kingraf
socal1976
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Two Of The Best Rafa/Nole Matches? Empty Two Of The Best Rafa/Nole Matches?

Post by hawkeye Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

Much has been made of Nadal and Djokovic's recent rivalry. For the couple of years leading up to Nadal's injury break they were the two players most likely to meet in a final. But IMO two of their best matches were played back in 2008.

The 2008 Hamburg semi

Djokovic was the proud holder of the AO title and many said it was just a matter of time before he claimed the number one spot. His mother had announced that the king (Federer) was dead and that her son was the new king. Nadal had three FO titles but many "experts" didn't think he would be a big threat off clay and already thought his days at the top were numbered because of his physical style. Nadal had been number 2 for years behind Federer but if Djokovic won this match he would have taken this spot. Djokovic was 20 and Nadal was 21 and they both look seriously cute... If you haven't time to watch the whole video just watch the end bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcPcNsIZw8

The 2008 Queens final

Just a few months after the Hamburg semi. Nadal had just won his 4th RG so this was a meeting between the holders of the last two slams even if Federer was still the number one. Usually Queens is more like an exhibition but with these two in the final it was serious. I doubt Queens had seen or will see such a high quality "fight" as this one. Again if limited by time just watch the last few games of the final set. It's electric!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obysR8PAoF4

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Two Of The Best Rafa/Nole Matches? Empty Re: Two Of The Best Rafa/Nole Matches?

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

The queens match was a delight one of the best matches I have seen in a best of three format. Plus I actually think when these two player on quicker surfaces the matches are more intriguing, both are so good defensively that when they play on a slow court the rallies really can become too long. Good thread Hawkeye, yes it is funny how young they look as we have seen both guy really mature before our eyes.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

I liked the 2009 Madrid semi-final. Before Djokovic became IronMan, this is the best he ever played by his account. Had match points, but simply couldnt kill it off. It was like watching a young lion unable to kill a seasoned Buck. No matter how cornered Nadal looked, Djoko couldnt Knock him out.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:13 pm

Yes that was a sensational match as well, the madrid match was again one of he best 3 set matches I have seen. Novak should have had his first clay court victory against Nadal on that day but just couldn't get over the finish line.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

The 2009 Madrid match is often described as one of their best matches but I can't really agree. It was a match that Djokovic should really have won because Nadal played poorly apart from right at the end. Something was up with Nadal that year and he was making all sorts of doom and gloom noises in interviews. He went onto lose easily to Federer in the final and then a couple of weeks later had that infamous loss to Soderling at RG.

In the Hamberg and Queens matches Nadal was playing really well. It was during a period of play when he beat up Federer at RG and played a match of a lifetime against Federer at Wimbledon. But Djokovic was right there too. In the Hamberg semi that 6-2 final set hides a game that is simply breathtaking and no way was that match over until the final ball was struck. Same breathtaking play at the end of the final set at Queens. I hope those in the posh seats realized and appreciated just what they were being treated too.

Ha ha! And they both look so young too.

After watching Djokovic's performance in these two matches I kept faith in his ability despite others loosing a little faith over the next couple of years. He had proved that he had the talent to match the best. That sort of quality is rare enough to stand out and be remembered.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:54 pm

Wow, Hawk, you said nice things about Novak is it possible that other great champions not named Fed and Nadal are fun to watch and follow? Are you having an epiphany and shaking yourself out of the stupor fedalomania?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

I dont know about LF, but my affection for top ranked guys stop at Nadal and Djoko. I prefer lower ranked entertainers.
Monfils
Gasquet
Verdasco
Cilic
Tomic
Blake

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

socal. I have always said nice things about Djokovic. After Nadal and Federer he is my favorite player.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

Next she'll be admitting Murray is a talented player!

.... Or maybe not!

My favourite Nole v Rafa match I'm not sure of, but the US open final in 2011 would be up there. In particular the third set. Novak was in charge but Rafa stretched every sinue to get back into the match and through sheer force of will took it on a tie break.

There were some unvelievable rallies. The New York crowd were loving it. People bemoan the physicality of matches like that, but I love them.

New York has been spoilt over the years. So many great matches.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

I preferred the second and third set of the USO 2010. Djokovic was manic in that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

kingraf wrote:I preferred the second and third set of the USO 2010. Djokovic was manic in that.

Good shout. That was very good as well. Novak played great but Rafa played arguably as well as he ever has on a hard court.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

I'm in agreement with Danny, USO 11 was a great match.

AO 12 had great rallies too but in hindsight it feels like one of those movie sequels where they make everything 'bigger' but the film itself isn't as good the original.

USO 11 was the superior original.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

hawkeye wrote:socal. I have always said nice things about Djokovic. After Nadal and Federer he is my favorite player.

Ok, anyway you are entitled to like who you like but this thread is maybe the nicest one you have done on Djoko, so kudos to you. I like the thread, good to talk about some great memories from the past.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

kingraf wrote:I dont know about LF, but my affection for top ranked guys stop at Nadal and Djoko. I prefer lower ranked entertainers.
Monfils
Gasquet
Verdasco
Cilic
Tomic
Blake

Monfils, no way, I used to love the guy, he is entertaining but the fact that he makes the same dumb mistakes and poor shot selection as he did when he first entered the tour has soured me on him big time. Too much wasted potential for me, although I love Gulbis and Ernie has some of the same issues so I can't be too harsh on him. Cilic is another one that I just can't warm to but I think the kid will have some good results in the future. Gasquet I love Gazza, is my second favorite and blake is pretty sweet as well. You are going to have to find replacements soon for fernando and Blake.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:21 pm

kingraf wrote:I preferred the second and third set of the USO 2010. Djokovic was manic in that.

Out of their two US Open finals the 2010 was by far the superior. The 2011 final was poor in comparison in terms of quality as it was played too much in the head and not on the court. The 2010 final also contains one of my favorite ever points culminating in a simultaneous world class racquet smash by Djokovic and celebration by Nadal. This is the best you tube I can find of the point but it just focuses on Djokovic. The view I can remember from the match is a slow motion reply of Novak smashing his racquet with Rafa clearly in focus in the background celebrating. This version does show them both looking quite sheepish afterwords though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxWmLwkcCo

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

Djoko looks much younger, Rafa only a little bit.

Rafa peaked much sooner that Djokovic.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:22 am

watching that point is like watching the perfect Nadal point. When on form, no one on tour can live with that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Same with feds last year, nobody could live with that.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

kingraf wrote:I dont know about LF, but my affection for top ranked guys stop at Nadal and Djoko. I prefer lower ranked entertainers.
Monfils
Gasquet
Verdasco
Cilic
Tomic
Blake

I am very humbled by your reference, King. I like Paire and Simon too. Ferrer too. I also like stars-in-the-making like Dimitrov. I used to think the younger generation will start making inroads, but the top guys seem to have a stranglehold that is very hard to break.

For pure freshness, I will take Tsonga. For Ball Bashing, no one like Soderling.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

laverfan wrote:

........................................................................................................................................................................

I also like stars-in-the-making like Dimitrov. I used to think the younger generation will start making inroads, but the top guys seem to have a stranglehold that is very hard to break.

....................................................................................................................................................

I like Dimitrov too. And I would also like to think that he is on the point of 'breaking through'

But how many more of the younger guys show real signs of climbing the rankings ? I'm always banging on about the need (if only for the health of the sport) to see some fresh blood moving up and contesting the big titles ; but it just doesn't seem to be happening.

In contrast to the quip about policemen getting younger, the top players seem to be getting older. In fact if there were to be no change to the current regime by the end of the year, I estimate this current season will end with just four players out of the Top 30 aged below 25. And of course not a single teenager....... Erm

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down