The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales U20 - England U20 title decider.

+30
LondonTiger
BigTrevsbigmac
markb
glamorganalun
The Great Aukster
Shifty
Breadvan
trebellbobaggins
mbernz
Biltong
lostinwales
yappysnap
stub
LordDowlais
munkian
maestegmafia
robbo277
Cumbrian
cakeordeath
ScarletSpiderman
Hood83
wales606
DaveM
RubyGuby
formerly known as Sam
sickofwendy
Dubbelyew L Overate
rainbow-warrior
thebluesmancometh
Morgannwg
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales U20 - England U20 title decider. Empty Wales U20 - England U20 title decider.

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21758093

Wales U20s: Wales Under-20: Jordan Williams (Scarlets/Llanelli); Harry Robinson (Blues), Cory Allen (Blues/Cardiff), Jack Dixon (Dragons), Ashley Evans (Ospreys/Bridgend); Sam Davies (Ospreys/Swansea), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets/Llandovery); Nicky Thomas (Ospreys/Swansea), Elliot Dee (Bedwas), Nicky Smith (Ospreys/Swansea), Carwyn Jones (Scarlets/Carmarthen), Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys/Swansea), Ellis Jenkins (capt, Blues/Cardiff), Daniel Thomas (Scarlets/Llanelli), Ieuan Jones (Dragons).

Replacements: Ethan Lewis (Blues/Cardiff), Gareth Thomas (Scarlets /Carmarthen), Dan Suter (Ospreys/Bridgend), Jack Jones (Ospreys/Rovigo), Sion Bennett (Scarlets/Carmarthen) Joshua Davies (Dragons/Bedwas), Hallam Amos (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets/Llanelli).

Four changes to the side that beat Scotland. Dixon, Evans, Dee and Smith. The undefeated Wales now get to test themselves against one of the top U20 sides in world rugby in a sold out Parc Erias. If Wales win then it is their first win over England and first title at U20 level. Any win for England will see them take the title. This squad this year is probably the best we have had at this level so we have a good chance. Last years crop were not good in the 6 Nations but did well with a stronger squad at the JWC. Many have remained at U20s since then.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 - England U20 title decider. Empty Re: Wales U20 - England U20 title decider.

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

Gutted Patchell is not available, I'd like to see him at the JWC. England will probably target Sam Davies. He can't tackle, he's slow, and if put under pressure then he'll make mistakes. His boot is also unreliable. England were in with a good chance of a win anyway, but those odds have now increased.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 - England U20 title decider. Empty Re: Wales U20 - England U20 title decider.

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

Anyone going up for this (or already there)

I'm considering going up to the game, staying overnight and coming back in the morning, anyone know of a decent place to stay and have a night out?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

Viewtothegym will put you up. I'll give him a text now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:07 am

You better have tickets for this game it has sold out.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

The England team:

15. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby)
14. Anthony Watson (London Irish)
13. Mark Jennings (Sale Sharks)
12. Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
10. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
9. Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)

1. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
2. Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
4. Elliott Stooke (Gloucester Rugby)
5. Dominic Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
6. Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers)
7. David Sisi (London Irish)
8. Jack Clifford (Harlequins)

Replacements
16. Max Crumpton (Saracens)
17. Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
18. Danny Herriott (Northampton Saints)
19. Tom Jubb (Saracens)
20. Gus Jones (London Wasps)
21. Alex Day (Northampton Saints)
22. Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
23. Ben Howard (Worcester Warriors)

LCD back to prop from hooker, Sinckler back from LV duty and Watson back from injury. Nowell won the LV breakthrough award today and links up with both Watson and Devoto for the first time to form an exciting back three. Arguably, both Watson and Nowell's best position is fullback, while Devoto's is flyhalf, but they're all (relatively) experienced in their positions.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

Hobbs-Awoyemi, bit of a mouthful. That's a good team. Both of these teams should go on to the latter stages of the JWC (provided they avoid the Baby Blacks until the final). Anyone know when the pools for that tournament are released?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

JWC pools were done a while ago:

Eng, Fra, SA, USA

Aus, Fiji, Ire, NZ

Arg, Samoa, Scot, Wales

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

Why only 12 nations?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

Devoto at 15 is a bad choice. He was ineffectual against Italy I don't see why Watson who is class and works well at 15 with this squad is pushed on the wing. If Wales have a ball scavenging 7 we could be in trouble.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

We have a ball scavenging 7 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:47 pm

We have two, as both of them are open-sides. Dan Thomas did look the player that had the most potential last year but I see why he was then benched at the JWC. The guy is living on the edge too often and it isn't paying off enough. Jenkins has been one of our best players to date.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:JWC pools were done a while ago:

Eng, Fra, SA, USA

Aus, Fiji, Ire, NZ

Arg, Samoa, Scot, Wales

Thanks. Haha look at those other two pools compared to Wales' pool! Jeez. That's very winable for us. Assuming Samoa are as bad as last season we have a chance of finishing top seeds. Would we then face second or third place then? (I do appreciate if you think I'm dreaming here).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

It paid off last week - Dan Thomas was awesome - yellow card aside of course thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:19 pm

England have two eights and a lock in the backrow. They are all big, physical and have big engines (especially Wells). If you can stop them on the gainline then there's the great opportunity to get over the ball where the big English forwards will struggle to move them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:23 pm

This should actually be a cracking game - I'm very impressed that Wales can put out such a strong side from such a relatively small pool of players thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:England have two eights and a lock in the backrow. They are all big, physical and have big engines (especially Wells). If you can stop them on the gainline then there's the great opportunity to get over the ball where the big English forwards will struggle to move them.

Hopefully Wilson has the team practicing 'chopping' and legally pulling down the lineout all week. If these guys are as big as the stats say then our ball carriers are going to struggle. We'll need to use the backline more but I worry about Sam Davies, he's slower than most of the forwards.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm

RubyGuby wrote:This should actually be a cracking game - I'm very impressed that Wales can put out such a strong side from such a relatively small pool of players thumbsup

Is it right that the Exeter lads have outscored Wales so far, or is it just the ones from Truro College?

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm

Back to the nonsensical selection of 3 props on the bench and both hookers in the starting line-up. We may as well have a 22 man matchday squad.

And Sisi isn't an 8. He's probably a 6, but has certainly played at 7 recently.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:This should actually be a cracking game - I'm very impressed that Wales can put out such a strong side from such a relatively small pool of players thumbsup

Is it right that the Exeter lads have outscored Wales so far, or is it just the ones from Truro College?

How do you mean?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm

Pity Patchell got injured just as he was released to the U20s - He would provide a lot to the Welsh backline, along with a far more accurate boot than Davies
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:

How do you mean?

A significant majority of England's points have been scored by lads from Exeter's academy in this campaign, and quite a few of those from graduates of Truro College or DR'd Pirates players. The eminent Mr Guby has professed allegiance to both of those - a little tease, no more.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

Morgannwg wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:England have two eights and a lock in the backrow. They are all big, physical and have big engines (especially Wells). If you can stop them on the gainline then there's the great opportunity to get over the ball where the big English forwards will struggle to move them.

Hopefully Wilson has the team practicing 'chopping' and legally pulling down the lineout all week. If these guys are as big as the stats say then our ball carriers are going to struggle. We'll need to use the backline more but I worry about Sam Davies, he's slower than most of the forwards.

Wouldn't worry Morgan, it's not a vintage England U20 team. Big but a little cumbersome for my liking, and no idea why Devoto is at 15, a total waste not having Watson there. Our back-row doesn't look balanced at all, we'll need to blast it up a LOT.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

Ah I see. Well off the top of my head we've scored 14 tries so far. Not bad. A lot of points (well too many points) have been lost because of an inconsistent and flaky kicker. We really did miss Patchell and behind Sam Davies I don't think our back-up 10 has had any game time at all. We were very poor against Ireland, as we usually are in our opening game. We improved against France but seemed to take the foot off the gas against what is a poor France U20s. We got three tries against Italy, had the weather been better we perhaps could have bagged more. The weather stopped all that, as did an inconsistent ref. This game should be the best of the tournament. The lads are under no illusions and will be well up for the challenge.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:05 am

Hood83 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Wouldn't worry Morgan, it's not a vintage England U20 team. Big but a little cumbersome for my liking, and no idea why Devoto is at 15, a total waste not having Watson there. Our back-row doesn't look balanced at all, we'll need to blast it up a LOT.

Probably not compared to previous teams. I think England were good enough to get the Slam every year since their first in 2008 (that includes this year). Seem to lose to Ireland quite a bit though. France seem inconsistent at this level.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:18 am

Yeah I'd agree, though I think at least one year, possible last year (?), I thought was pretty average too. We seem to lose to Ireland quite a bit at all levels, and I'd agree on France. They seem to be generally getting better at this level though.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:27 am

With our back 3... I think Williams should have been moved to the wing with Amos coming in at full-back. With those 3 having pro experience it would be fair to assume that that selection would likely be our best pick. Guess Wilson has next year in mind again.

Hood83 wrote:Yeah I'd agree, though I think at least one year, possible last year (?), I thought was pretty average too. We seem to lose to Ireland quite a bit at all levels, and I'd agree on France. They seem to be generally getting better at this level though.

Last year you did get the Slam and thrashed most of the teams. Perhaps the year France/Ireland won it? I remember a few players being drafted in and out of the team by their clubs during one of those years. I always thought there was a gulf in class between Ireland and England at U20 level, including some of the games won by Ireland, that's the only reason I mentioned it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

Is this on the beeb on friday?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

I thought the Scotland game was on S4C, so probably the same

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Yeah S4C 7.10 tomorrow

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Wales U20 - England U20 title decider. Empty Wales U20s vs. England U20s

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

Wales U20: 15 Jordan Williams (Scarlets/ Llanelli); 14 Harry Robinson (Blues), 13 Cory Allen (Blues / Cardiff), 12 Jack Dixon (Dragons), 11 Ashley Evans (Ospreys/ Bridgend); 10 Sam Davies (Ospreys / Swansea), 9 Rhodri Williams (Scarlets/ Llandovery); 1 Nicky Smith (Ospreys / Swansea), 2 Elliot Dee (Bedwas), 3 Nicky Thomas (Ospreys / Swansea), 4 Carwyn Jones (Scarlets/ Carmarthen), 5 Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys/ Swansea), 6 Ellis Jenkins (Capt, Blues / Cardiff), 7 Daniel Thomas (Scarlets / Llanelli), 8 Ieuan Jones (Dragons).

Replacements: Ethan Lewis (Blues / Cardiff), Gareth Thomas (Scarlets / Carmarthen), Dan Suter (Ospreys / Bridgend), Jack Jones (Ospreys / Rovigo), Sion Bennett (Scarlets/ Carmarthen), Joshua Davies (Dragons / Bedwas), Hallam Amos (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets / Llanelli).

England U20s

15. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby)
14. Anthony Watson (London Irish)
13. Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
12. Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
10. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
9. Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)
1. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
2. Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
4. Elliott Stooke (Gloucester Rugby)
5. Dominic Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
6. Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers)
7. David Sisi (London Irish)
8. Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Replacements
16. Max Crumpton (Saracens)
17. Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
18. Danny Herriott (Northampton Saints)
19. Tom Jubb (Saracens)
20. Gus Jones (London Wasps)
21. Alex Day (Northampton Saints)
22. Henry Purdy (Leicester Tigers)
23. Ben Howard (Worcester Warriors)

Just about the strongest team we could put out I reckon (obviously not counting Ford) , the loss of Jennings accepted.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

Bit out of the loop and have only heard of a handful of those players. Is this game tonight? Is it on TV?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

Yeah it is on S4C (Sky channel 134) at 7:35pm, I believe they usually have an English commentary option.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Looks a bit wet up there...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Right then, this seems to be overlooked in all the excitement.

We have some very talented young players, looking forward to this ! OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:20 pm

I was looking for this thread everywhere now there are two, we need the MODS to merge these I think.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

England have always been good at age grade level rugby, this will be a tough one for Wales tonight.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

Oops, I didn't see the other one. Doh
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Oops, I didn't see the other one. Doh

Put a request in with Biltong to merge them cumbrian. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

There has been a late change for England, Stephenson is replacing Jennings. It is in theory a decent English back-line, they haven't clicked so far though.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

Cheers pal.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

Shame the weather is dire.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Shame the weather is dire.

Its not as bad as the Italy game though. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:32 pm

But everyone xpects rain in Italy, it is unhead of in North Wales.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

Looks a decent crowd in too.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:But everyone xpects rain in Italy, it is unhead of in North Wales.
Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

Come on LLO!!! I assume that's us.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

robbo277 wrote:Come on LLO!!! I assume that's us.

Lloegre = England, you assume right. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Good start. Big England team

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm

That is never a high shot!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next