The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv

+15
Adam D
dallym
Kay Fabe
JoshSansom
Marsh
Crimey
VDT
theundisputedY2D2
NickisBHAFC
nasisillmatic
BD21
Samo
cloudsm
Shot 21 LCFC
Makaveli
19 posters

Go down

Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv Empty Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv

Post by Makaveli Thu 14 Mar - 15:21

First time im writing an article, was talking to afew of me mates about half an hour ago, friends who stopped watching wrestling just after eddie gurrero died like me, as we all sort of lost interest in the product since the brands split, but eddie kept us interested, but thats beside the point. We got talking about wrestling when i told them that mania was around the corner and started talking about our favourite matches, and out of 6 of us the other 5 all kept mentioning ppv mathces, like shane vs steve blackman, austin v rock mania matches, undertaker vs kane summer slam 2000. anyways i was surprised that when i mentioned a match on raw they were all clueless, as they couldnt recall it. The match i am talking about is undertaker vs jeff hardy on raw, for me it was the most memorable matche ever on an episode of raw, a match that had me on the edge of my seat, even though i knew deep down there was no way jeff was going to win the title there was part of me that was rooting for him, that match made me forget that wrestling is scripted for a change, the story telling was great, the commentry added to the match, i honestly rate that match 10/10.

My question to you guys is what match would you say is your most memorable or favourite match or moment, on an episode of raw or smackdown.

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv Empty Re: Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 14 Mar - 15:30

Welcome to the board. I have a quick question off topic for you firstly: the name Makaveli - is that 2 Pac related? If it is you get a massive OK from me as he truly is the G.O.A.T!!!!!

Back to wrestling, a very recent one has to be John Cena v CM Punk from Raw the other week. The other one was the 4 team TLC match on Smackdown. The Hardy Boyz v the Dudleys v Edge & Christian v Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv Empty Re: Most memorable match ever that wasnt on a ppv

Post by cloudsm Thu 14 Mar - 15:30

Shawn vs Shelton on smackdown.

cloudsm

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 14 Mar - 15:47

yes it is tupac related lol, haha, he really is, its a shame his life was cut so short.

Agreed cena v punk was a great one, and although i cant remember the tlc match, any tag matches with the teams youve mentioned and the apa were classics, il youtube the match though to refresh my memory.

cloudsm, i cant remember shawn vs shelton can u find a link of it for me? jus seen another thread about who should have got a better deal, i think shelton benjamin is a name that deserves to be on that list

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 14 Mar - 15:51

Undertaker vs Jeff hardy - ladder match for the WWE Undisputed title - RAW 2002. Brilliant match and brilliant end.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by BD21 Thu 14 Mar - 16:04

I did a topic on this a few months ago but that account has since been banned. I got great feedback on it but my 2 personal favourites are the Iron Man Match between Lesnar and Angle on Smackdown and the 4 way tag team TLC Match, also on smackdown

BD21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar - 16:41

Mr Perfect v Ric Flair in a Loser Leaves Town match back in 93 (RAW) was memorable but it may well of aged a bit since then. I'll have to watch it again!

123 Kid beating Razor Ramon in the same year (I think) was jaw dropping at the time.

More recently I found the Del Rio/Big show match on Smackdown very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 14 Mar - 16:47

BD21 wrote:I did a topic on this a few months ago but that account has since been banned. I got great feedback on it but my 2 personal favourites are the Iron Man Match between Lesnar and Angle on Smackdown and the 4 way tag team TLC Match, also on smackdown

Angle vs Lesnar is my favourite. Classic.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 14 Mar - 16:56

In recent memory

ADR vs Big Show - Smackdown 2013

CM Punk vs John Cena - Raw 2013

Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho - NXT 2010

John Morrison vs The Miz - Raw 2011

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy - Raw 2002

Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle - Smackdown 2003

Undertaker vs John Cena - Smackdown 2003

Personal favorites.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 14 Mar - 17:00

The hour long epic HBK and John Cena had on RAW a few years back. Brilliant match.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 14 Mar - 17:06

Welcome to the board Makaveli OK

Loved that Undertaker / Jeff Hardy match, it's one of my all time favourites. I think the Shawn Michaels / Shelton Benjamin match that cloudsm referred to was actually from RAW in 2005 as part of the Gold Rush tournament. It's got one of the best finishing sequences ever.

Some of my other favourite non-PPV matches not already mentioned are Shawn Michaels v Marty Jannetty in 1993, Bret Hart v 1-2-3 Kid in 1994, Mick Foley v Terry Funk in 1998, Triple H & The Radicalz v The Rock, Cactus Jack, Rikishi & Too Cool in 2000 and Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit v Stone Cold Steve Austin & Triple H.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu 14 Mar - 17:06

I read the topic wrong i was gonna say Sting v Undertaker at WM from 2 years ago with all them creepy vigettes for monthes which got the IWC excited than it turned out to be Y2J.

Agreed with alot above

Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle - Smackdown 2003 - Epic and Mr Perfect v Ric Flair in a Loser Leaves Town match back in 93 was another great match.

There was a really good battle royal in the early 90's where the last two would have a match for the IC title the next week. Think the last two were The Model and Scott Hall.

VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Mar - 17:57

The recent CM Punk/John Cena main event on Raw has got to be up there now, it was excellent and showed that of any people on the roster, those two probably have the best chemistry and arguably that might have made a better Wrestlemania main event than Rock vs Cena again.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Thu 14 Mar - 18:17

Agree with Lesnar - Angle on Smackdown, my other one would be Benoit & Jericho v Austin & Triple H for the tag title on Raw,

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu 14 Mar - 19:06

Agreed with NickisBHAFC on that list. One of my favourites from a storytelling perspective (though it wouldn't have worked on a PPV) was Triple H v TAKA Michinoku from Raw in 2000 when Trips thought he would have an easy title defence only for TAKA to rally and then call in the APA for support.

Helmsley's face coupled with JR commentary made that very special.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 14 Mar - 20:18

Jericho vs HHH for the WWF title on RAW, the title change that never was. It wasnt a terrific match, but the crowd were red hot and it had a good build up even though it was just on the night. It was a huge pop for both Jericho and the APA.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 14 Mar - 23:00

Michaels vs Jannetty May 17 1993 for the IC Title

Unbelievable

Last edited by Kay Fabe on Fri 15 Mar - 9:41; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Fri 15 Mar - 8:40

Can't remember the year, but HBK V HHH for the title. Ended in a draw

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 15 Mar - 8:58

I would go for the Miz cashing in on Orton with the Money in the Bank case. Hadnt read any spoilers and genuinely marked out when it happened.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 15 Mar - 9:14

Surprised no one mentioned poss the greatest match of all time! The Mini Royal Rumble on Raw in early 07 or 08! EPIC!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri 15 Mar - 13:53

TLC match for the world tag team championship on RAW 2002.
Kane (without The Hurricane) (c) defeated The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & Spike), Christian & Chris Jericho, and Jeff Hardy & Rob Van Dam.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 15 Mar - 15:17

Bret Hart vs sid, steel cage match from april 97, was a good little match, proberly more memorable for the post match promo from hart which for me was the true beggining of the attitude era

Last edited by ncfc_Tooze on Fri 15 Mar - 18:01; edited 1 time in total

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 15 Mar - 16:45

laughing
Wrong thread lol!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 15 Mar - 18:03

hardly since it was originally titled moment not match
PS read the top post again where it says match or moment

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Fri 15 Mar - 19:10

Think you were looking for this Tooze Wink
https://www.606v2.com/t41759-best-pre-match-promo

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 15 Mar - 21:26

Nope that's for before hype videos this was after the match

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar - 21:39

Mankind vs The Rock in early 1999 for the title. (1st time Foley held the title)

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy in a ladder match.

Kevin Nash vs Hulk Hogan the Fingerpoke of doom fiasco

Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle - Iron Man Match

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Sun 17 Mar - 9:39

In WWE - Austin vs Benoit in 2000. This was one of Austin's first matches back after next surgery, and the first ever meeting between the two. This was one of the best technical wrestling matches I've ever seen.

WCW - Lex Luger beating Hogan for the WCW title on Nitro.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 18 Mar - 8:03

ncfc_Tooze wrote:hardly since it was originally titled moment not match
PS read the top post again where it says match or moment

OK my bad Doh

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down