The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....!

+24
Taylorman
lauriehow
robbo277
Cyril
kiakahaaotearoa
dragonbreath
gregortree
englandglory4ever
beshocked
thomh
Poorfour
nathan
Biltong
lostinwales
Hood83
fa0019
rainbow-warrior
Taffineastbourne
Casartelli
damage_13
AlastairW
RubyGuby
Geordie
maestegmafia
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....! - Page 3 Empty England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:45 am

First topic message reminder :

An insight into England preparation for thei Grand Slam finale in Cardiff.

By Robert Kitson for The Guardian

It may sound bizarre in the final week of a Six Nations campaign but England have been talking more about New Zealand than Wales this week. The thinking in the visitors' camp is simple: if England play the way they did against the All Blacks in December they will be almost guaranteed a grand slam. Spend too much time worrying about Wales's strengths and the psychology becomes very different.

Hence the positive noises emerging from Bagshot before England's players departed for Cardiff, several of them driving their own cars rather than catching the team bus. The English management reckon the more composed side under the screeching pressure will emerge on top and Stuart Lancaster, the head coach, opted for a deliberately soothing tone after confirming his starting XV. "This week is more about relaxing everyone, rather than ramping them up," he stressed, fully aware that a packed Millennium Stadium and a tantalising title decider will be motivation enough.

For the full article link below

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/14/england-wales-six-nations

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....! - Page 3 Empty Re: England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

Biltong wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Biltong wrote:
lauriehow wrote:Wales have simply out-muscled France, Italy and Scotland, forcing their way up the pitch, playing the opponent's end, and defending really well when they had to. Shipping no tries in 3 away games is something special. The whole thing a preparation for the England match tomorrow in my estimation. So they are now as battle-hardened and determined as I have ever seen them. It's not pretty though.

True they haven't conceded any tries, but the opposition attacks weren't really very threatening either.

That's due to a good Welsh defence closing their options Bill.
yes, of course Maes, but you also need to concede to the fact that the attacks this season has been pretty damned predictable.

Aye

A lot of that has been due to the frequency with which the referees want to hear their whistles again.

The penalties awarded stats for this six nations have been ridiculous. Last week vs the Scots. A few weeks ago in Paris the matches were constantly interrupted by over zealous refereeing

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....! - Page 3 Empty Re: England focus on the NZ in preparation for Wales....!

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm

Not sure its a good thing celebrating good defences if 1..everyones doing it, and 2...no ones scoring tries, in the end the same thing.

Having great defences is as much as saying the oposition attack is inept.

Lets hope for the games sake that its 'tries' that settle the difference tomorrow. We've had enough close, battles of atrition, penalty shootouts already from everyone surely. Lets get back to the real rugby from the first round...now we're talking...hope the refs are taking notice of it as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

Taylorman wrote:Not sure its a good thing celebrating good defences if 1..everyones doing it, and 2...no ones scoring tries, in the end the same thing.

Having great defences is as much as saying the oposition attack is inept.

Lets hope for the games sake that its 'tries' that settle the difference tomorrow. We've had enough close, battles of atrition, penalty shootouts already from everyone surely. Lets get back to the real rugby from the first round...now we're talking...hope the refs are taking notice of it as well.

If the refs would allow it we would all be happy...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

Yes it would make a great match, particularly in the midfield. Fitting finale to be enjoyed for the tension alone. As a neutral I just hope the quality befits the occasion.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes it would make a great match, particularly in the midfield. Fitting finale to be enjoyed for the tension alone. As a neutral I just hope the quality befits the occasion.

I think we all agree with that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:10 pm

Yes but a multiple of 3 win to either side where nothing happens will still have the victors singing into the early hours...long after us neutrals have already forgotten the match. This tournament desperately needs a good finale.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes but a multiple of 3 win to either side where nothing happens will still have the victors singing into the early hours...long after us neutrals have already forgotten the match. This tournament desperately needs a good finale.

True

Wales have managed to score in every game, they are trying to liven it up a bit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

yep, and one very good one saved the day. That'd be a great way to decide this here.

I'm just in the school where two players trading penalties and the remaining 28-40 players not combining enough to get over a line 68 meters or so wide at least one or more times is just not good enough. For me for this to happen time after time simply means people have lost the plot with this game. Risk management gone mad...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:51 am

Taylorman wrote:yep, and one very good one saved the day. That'd be a great way to decide this here.

I'm just in the school where two players trading penalties and the remaining 28-40 players not combining enough to get over a line 68 meters or so wide at least one or more times is just not good enough. For me for this to happen time after time simply means people have lost the plot with this game. Risk management gone mad...

We had a family dinner last night, a good number of my kids and grand kids here. General concensus was that the ideal finish would be Wales with a one try seven point lead going in to the final minute, then Ashton gets slipped the ball inside from Croft, he does one of his huge swallow dives over the line dropping the ball before he lands to the applause and laughter of the tens of thousands in the crowds.

A fun evening had by all, a good win for Wales and a great night out in the capital city for everyone.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:yep, and one very good one saved the day. That'd be a great way to decide this here.

We had a family dinner last night, a good number of my kids and grand kids here. General concensus was that the ideal finish would be Wales with a one try seven point lead going in to the final minute, then Ashton gets slipped the ball inside from Croft, he does one of his huge swallow dives over the line dropping the ball before he lands to the applause and laughter of the tens of thousands in the crowds.

A fun evening had by all, a good win for Wales and a great night out in the capital city for everyone.

Laugh
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Laugh

It was quite a fun conversation, deciding on the greatest win, everyone had an opinion, but we all agreed on the same finaly proclamation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:37 am

It's a shame that rather than seeing a good game some 'fans' would rather just see a player humiliated or injured.

The hatred is running strong again. A shame.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

Pathetic again Cyril, trying to stir things- you are a total disgrace.
So which fans on here want to see someone injured? Don't be vague and say well the Welsh public or whatever.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

Ask George North laurie.

You may have seen various comments on here after Ashton was punched by Manu or after he was glassed. I realise this forum isn't a fair reflection of Welsh fans but I'm just commenting on the ones who post on here.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm

lauriehow wrote:Pathetic again Cyril, trying to stir things- you are a total disgrace.
So which fans on here want to see someone injured? Don't be vague and say well the Welsh public or whatever.

You should have seen a lot of the Welsh posters reactions after Ashton was glassed. That was disgraceful, or just head over to the booing thread to see the racism some Welsh WUMs puke onto this forum. Two wrongs don't make a right, but this is mild compared to other stuff, and expect to see worse in your time here.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

I see a fair bit of racism towards the Welsh on here - there are idiots all around.....very close some of them. Just saw a bus-load of England fans calling in at our local Tesco - about 2 miles from the ground. All made very welcome. I shall get over to the Stadium at around 4pm and we always have great banter with the English fans. I was once an English touring rugby player [ with the LSE college team 1965] We were not allowed to buy a drink in the Welsh clubs - barmen would not take our money but summoned a committee man over - the hospitality was overwhelming. So these anti- Welsh comments dishonour what I have experienced. By the way, I played against Barry John that tour, and could not lay a hand on him at a time he had the ball.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

lauriehow wrote:I see a fair bit of racism towards the Welsh on here - there are idiots all around.....very close some of them. Just saw a bus-load of England fans calling in at our local Tesco - about 2 miles from the ground. All made very welcome. I shall get over to the Stadium at around 4pm and we always have great banter with the English fans. I was once an English touring rugby player [ with the LSE college team 1965] We were not allowed to buy a drink in the Welsh clubs - barmen would not take our money but summoned a committee man over - the hospitality was overwhelming. So these anti- Welsh comments dishonour what I have experienced. By the way, I played against Barry John that tour, and could not lay a hand on him at a time he had the ball.

Good stories thumbsup

In 1965 my old man was barely a glimmer, so always good to hear history from someone who was there. Personally, all the vitriol I've seen is on forums, which is a shame as these are the places where discussion is meant to take place. Every game I've been too, be it club/international level has had a great crowd and better banter between the opposition.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

Yep, I'd echo that. Every game I've been to between Wales and England has always been good natured and the Welsh perfect hosts. Whilst I am aware that the matches against England are a bit special I really don't recognise some of the things I read on here. Then again I have a wonderful Welsh family so perhaps that colours my judgement a bit.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Tell them not to forget to put a claim in for the £5.60 at the Bridge Toll.

When was the last time you went over the bridge Ruby? It's gone up a bit since then mate.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:33 pm

I have never known of Eng/Welsh rugby fans getting hostile in the real rugby world. It is totally against accepted norms of hospitable rugby culture.
(and I exclude bonehead soccer townies).

Now anonymity of 606 ... that is another matter.
Fortunately the only casualties on 606 are the occasional elevated steamed blood pressure, one or two exiled avatars and maybe the odd kick arrrs for the poor ol' cat.
Rugby folk are great.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

Its worth remembering even here the Welsh/English WUMS are a minority - just in some cases a very vocal minority

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

i would guess that in person, most of the WUMS on here would be normal rugby loving folks.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

nathan wrote:i would guess that in person, most of the WUMS on here would be normal rugby loving folks.

yes like road rage, personality changes behind screen anonymity.
But I feel sure in real world I could have a civilised pint & rugby chat / banter with any poster on here ! Hug

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Laugh

It was quite a fun conversation, deciding on the greatest win, everyone had an opinion, but we all agreed on the same finaly proclamation.

Well you were way off the mark Maes...it was way better than that...you can have your dessert with that now too!

Well done. One for the history books- pleasure to have watched it. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:It's a shame that rather than seeing a good game some 'fans' would rather just see a player humiliated or injured.

The hatred is running strong again. A shame.

I see we managed to live with you Cyril thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

As an update on the 1965 story above, we [LSE students] played a Carmarthen team on a Friday afternoon, and we had not heard of Barry John at that point. He was studying I believe at Trinity College in Carmarthen. He seemed quite slight and almost lanky as a fly-halfs go. I still have a vivid memory of Barry whipping the ball away as I came to tackle him: he was self-evidently so fluid and balanced. I was a mere hooker and had little chance. I see Barry from time to time and he says he remembers the game.

We later heard he had also played for Llanelli the next morning, by which time we were in Cardiff for a Wales v England game. Wales must have won that as they did not lose after 1963 v England until somewhere in the 1980s. I also have memories of the Cardiff and Wales wins over New Zealand in 1953, when I was taken to the CAP by an uncle at the age of 9. I had all the NZ team autographs and a little silver fern, obtained by my father, who sold them clothing at wholesale prices, suits etc then in short supply. Sadly these I lost in my teens. But I have been back to every game v NZ in Cardiff since, with no wins ever seen!

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

Interesting Laurie...which was the AB side that most impressed over that period...I thought the Mourie lead side in 80 was a good one- one of my fave Wales vs ABs matches.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

Taylorman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Laugh

Well you were way off the mark Maes...it was way better than that...you can have your dessert with that now too!

Well done. One for the history books- pleasure to have watched it. thumbsup

Oh it was so much better, what a performance...

Very proud though slightly hungover after the weekend.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:09 am

gregortree wrote:I have never known of Eng/Welsh rugby fans getting hostile in the real rugby world. It is totally against accepted norms of hospitable rugby culture.
(and I exclude bonehead soccer townies).

Now anonymity of 606 ... that is another matter.
Fortunately the only casualties on 606 are the occasional elevated steamed blood pressure, one or two exiled avatars and maybe the odd kick arrrs for the poor ol' cat.
Rugby folk are great.

Gregor the English lads we met at dinner on Saturday were excellent blokes and we spent a good few hours drinking with them in Cardiff. They were celebrating a great game more than commiserating a loss.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3