The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions

+27
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Morgannwg
gavstar
Gibson
bsando
reallybored
Standulstermen
doctor_grey
gelodge
king_carlos
mzan
thebluesmancometh
welshboii15
sensisball
fa0019
MacKnocked-on
t1000advancedprototype
Feckless Rogue
Shifty
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
TJ1
OzT
Biltong
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

British and Irish Lions - Page 2 Empty British and Irish Lions

Post by Biltong Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am again convinced after watching the english vs Wales "final", that Cuthbert and North are the first choice wings for the Lions tour.

They both run with conviction, at pace and don't fear contact.

Their defence is strong, much better than Visser's whos name has been thrown about, and to be honest Ashton doesn't come close. I don't know if Bowe will be available, but he will be my other choice.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions - Page 2 Empty Re: British and Irish Lions

Post by TJ1 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

Kearney? behing 1/2 p and Hogg on this years form

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm

Laidlaw has enjoyed a great season for Scotland back in his preferred position. He reads the game really well and his kicking both from hand and goal is top drawer.

However that may be perceived as a weakness for the Lions tour. I doubt Gatland will want as much possession kicked away as Johnson seeemed to want. Scotland rarely threatened to move the ball through the hands instead trusting in errors from the opposition to open up counter attacks for a dangerous back three. With the centres available to the Lions and the nature of the Aussies counter attack game i dont see the same tactics being deployed and therefore Laidlaw may well miss out to a quicker running 9 such as Care.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm

Phillips had a shocking championship but I think he was exceptional against England. I prefer Youngs truth be told though. Off topic but Tipuric would be my first backrower picked. I think he is exceptional

O'Brien and Healy are up there Pot. Best too but I except he has something to prove with a decent lineout. Sexton needs to prove fitness along with Bowe and you can't right BOD off. The first two I mentioned would be the only ones at this moment I would consider for the first 15 though. It's genuinely hard to call.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

I think it's harsh to say Phillips had a shocking championship. I think he got better as the tournament progressed (culminating in a good performance yesterday), but there'll always be that question mark over his service, I guess.

If people want aerial skills from a fullback, then that's Halfpenny anyway. I don't know why, but I sometimes have a lingering doubt (due to Halfpenny's height) when a high ball comes his way, but he is never found wanting to be fair to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

I thought he was dreadful against Scotland risca. Seriously bad, as did the welsh lads I frequent ulster games with. He was at his best against England though. I couldn't believe how good he was. Massively impressed

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Is any Irish player worth a place in the Lions first team?

Sexton
BOD
Healey

That's about it - in the squad!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm

thumbsup Bowe as well

and Gibson as ball boy

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

Standulstermen wrote:I thought he was dreadful against Scotland risca. Seriously bad, as did the welsh lads I frequent ulster games with. He was at his best against England though. I couldn't believe how good he was. Massively impressed

I thought against Scotland he had his worst game of the championship. But he still wasn't that bad and certainly did not get 'taught a lesson in scrum half play by Laidlaw' like all the Scots claimed he would, which is good enough for me. And Warburton looked world class again against England. I hope that form is here to stay. He's never had a poor game against England.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:09 am

Best has dropped down the pecking order surely on the basis of his last two test matches.

Healy - possibly.

BOD? Hmmm

Kearney ain't the front runner for FB at this stage.

Heaslip - plummetted down rankings and captaincy has distracted him big time.

O'Brien - possibly. But not at 7. Could be a good 6 or possible 8.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

I haven't claimed Heaslip or Kearney pot. Best was the front runner after the first round of matches and although Hubbard and youngs have impressed since neither have had to deal with the clusterf**k that is team Ireland. He is on the plane. What happens thereafter is down to form. By the way his form against France was top notch, as were his line out stats. Scotland and Italy were a shambles though and of he doesn't prove himself with a better functioning team (ie ulster) then he has no excuse.

Healy has been exceptional in a beaten pack

BOD still exhibits the class the other contenders can only dream of. He has as much right to a shirt based on the 6N as any other contender none of whom were exceptional throughout.

I agree with your assessment of O'Brien. If Gatland thinks he can get the best out of him then he has to travel. Oz will genuinely fear him.

Morgan

Agree regarding warburton. He had an exceptional end to the tournament and I am delighted to see it from a neutral perspective. Aways a likeable player. Tipuric is stellar IMO though and i would have him in the 7 jersey at the minute.

My own preference is for a faster delivery from 9 though which I whyni prefer Youngs. Phillips is a demon around the fringes when on form but is too limiting otherwise. Having both in the squad gives us options though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:40 am

This is all very well but the Lions aren't being picked tomorrow so there are plenty of opportunities for players to get on the plane. Thankfully if you play for Ulster, Munster, Saracans or Harlequjns you can redeem yourself yet. People have such short memories over the course of the Six Nations. Just two weeks ago Cuthbert was a defensive liability now he's a certainty? Warburtonn hadn't a hope and now he's a shoe in? Jenkins was overweight and woeful and now he's world class? Some serious realism is needed.

If O'Connell plays well for Munster I have no doubt he will go given the rather lacklustre performance of the second rows, Evans and the excellent Parling aside. Rory Best was head and shoulders above any other hooker, was superb against Wales, good against France, decent against England. Unfortunately poor against Scotland and dreadful against Italy. So a whole season goes out the window in a rudderless Irish team? Be real. Hubbard's throwing was as poor against Scotland and Youngs was not much better against Ireland. People have also forgot who the form 7 in Europe was before the start of the championship. Not Tipuric. Not Robshaw. Certainly not Warburton, but Ulsters Chris Henry. It's a shame we don't have a coach that values form. What of Warburtons form goes back to pre-Six Nations? What is Ulster get to the final again? Even then I'm advocating him going, but people need to be realistic. Gatland will not just take the past seven weeks or so into account. Of course it is vitally important, but if it was only based on the Six Nations then very squad in the professional era would be markedly differb.

There is still a great deal to play for but a hell of a lot of Welsh players put their hands up with an outstanding display against England. It's a shame for them the season doesn't end now. But it doesn't and other players may yet claim a surprise spot.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:13 am

dan biggar has played his first 6 nations. and his first 5 welsh games on the bounce.

howley should have put him in instead of the out of form priestland last year and we would now be looking at a g slam as he would have been so much better in the irish game with a few more games at this level under his belt.

english supporters may not be aware of biggars kicking ability, highest score in the premiership. you see 1/2p and forget dan is a superb kicker, took 2 and a drop goal in the millenium cauldron no prob, even though he hasnt kicked in the 6nations up to now. pressure get to him? no.

you wont hear shouts for him from many welsh posters because they want a fleet footed singing dancing 10. those days are long gone. the 10 now has to take the options when they come, not miracle passes and blind alley running, leaving team mates scattered and the opposition a chance to break and score.

get behind this young guy ,23, he is the real deal. believe.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2