The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH

+5
GavinDragon
fa0019
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
mckay1402
9 posters

Go down

could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH Empty could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH

Post by mckay1402 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

A long title I know but stick with it.

We all know that Wales haven't beaten a sh team in a long time. If, as many on here suspect the lions are made up of mostly Welsh and we go down there and smash themcould out gee the psychological key to opening the southern hemisphere for for Wales?

The players are good enough, they know how to win games so it must be a mental thing and for me I think that might do it.

Not only that but having some yonder players come through in Japan well only strengthen...so next season should be dominant...should be
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH Empty Re: could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:00 pm

I guess it will depend on how many Wales players will play in the test matches.

And of course if the Lions do manage too win a test. that will be a big question .

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH Empty Re: could a successful lions tour hold the key to Wales beating the SH

Post by SecretFly Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

Well...it'll always be a case of who-is-helping-you?

Plus... a Welsh dominant Lions beating/ "smash"ing the Aussies doesn't preclude England, Ireland or Scotland doing the same on their own when they next meet the Aussies...or indeed beating Wales itself next time round. It's a continuous game of "we beat you and then you beat the side that beat us"

It won't be a leg-up psycholgically for Welsh players - I don't think psychology is what was defeating them in the first place - just playing well enough to be close but not well enough to win.

And that will always be the unknown on any given day during any given game against SH opposition. How well you play on the day.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

For any player involved it would be a massive confidence booster... then again a series defeat can destroy players i.e. Balshaw.

I still think we're big underdogs. The Brumbies look especially good this year and AUS have a backline which would dominate the ABs.

Genia, Cooper, Ioane, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Mogg, Beale.

How do we beat a backline like that?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

by smashing their forwards so their backline is nullified forwards win games back decide by how many

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

With Phillips, North, Roberts, Davies and Cuthbert obviouly Wink.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

and i think the lions will have the pack to do that

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

AUS are the masters of playing so called "stronger" packs. It doesn't impact their game.

AUS have a current 7 wins in 9 vs the boks... the biggest of them all.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:39 pm

fa0019 wrote:For any player involved it would be a massive confidence booster... then again a series defeat can destroy players i.e. Balshaw.

I still think we're big underdogs. The Brumbies look especially good this year and AUS have a backline which would dominate the ABs.

Genia, Cooper, Ioane, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Mogg, Beale.

Henry screwed Balshaw not the series defeat

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

I still think thats how Gatland will approach it and I think it will be successful

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

It's worth pointing out that Australia scrum has improved significantly in the last 2 years as well. Doesnt make them a better team though. The key to beat them is defense.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

fa0019 wrote:AUS are the masters of playing so called "stronger" packs. It doesn't impact their game.

AUS have a current 7 wins in 9 vs the boks... the biggest of them all.

Thats so true. It is fundamentally holding them back from more decisive wins such is the way their backs carve it up but last year they were hit by injury all over the park- most of their key match winners out and still held their no.2 position basically all year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

On paper the Lions have a very strong side but how the team gels is unknown, sometimes its good, sometimes not. McGeechan had his bad moments as much as he has inspirational ones as coach.

I would say the 01 Lions side had better individuals and the this AUS side is better than the one we faced in 01 (albeit not so strong for Pocock being injured) but a backrow of Higginbottom, Hooper and Auelua would be very useful. The way Auelua smashed the sharks on the weekend was freightening given he's not even capped.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

Yes and in that respect I will worry about Roberts if he was to start as although he is an absolute rock when people run head on at him (a la tuilagi) is he is against a stepper he could b wrong footed quite easily

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

Yes and in that respect I will worry about Roberts if he was to start as although he is an absolute rock when people run head on at him (a la tuilagi) is he is against a stepper he could b wrong footed quite easily

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down