The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour

+10
Notch
thebluesmancometh
Cyril
rodders
George Carlin
Biltong
TJ1
offload
bluestonevedder
Rugby Fan
14 posters

Go down

Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour Empty Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2316896/Lions-2013-Jonny-Wilkinson-team--Sir-Clive-Woodward.html

I went through this, wondering how the mea culpa would be presented, only to discover that Clive still feels he was on the right track:

Although we lost the series 3-0 in 2005, there is very little I would have done differently. I would, however, change the amount of information I gave the players as soon as we met for the tour.

It was too much detail for players who were not used to thinking in those terms.

The All Blacks team that beat us in 2005 would beat the current New Zealand World Cup-winning team by 30 points, they were that good. I chose to approach the tour with a Test team and a mid-week team in terms of both coaches and players.

Had we got things right on the pitch, I believe that separation would have been made the blueprint for future Lions tours. It goes against a lot of what people believe the Lions is about but from a performance perspective I still favour it because you cannot train properly in one huge group preparing for Wednesday and Saturday games, and I felt being totally open with the players on this point was the best approach.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour Empty Re: Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

He really is an egotistical goon.

Can't stand him anymore.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour Empty Re: Clive Woodward's Guide to a Successful Lions Tour

Post by offload Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

You have to admire the man's conviction - nothing else of course - but he certainly has the courage of his conviction.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

That lions tour showed how poor he was

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Too much information?

what is he suggesting, that the players can't handle too much information?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

That's just absolutely embarrassing. The man is a ridiculous egotist.

I would have thought so much more of him if he's just admitted his selection strategy was entirely wrong and that it does occasionally help to see how players are playing at the time of the tour before selecting them.

Surprised SCW didn't apply for the position of pope.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:32 am

hmm well the players hated it and the team were walloped 3 nil in the tests..... but sure as long as sir Clive is happy ...... king
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

I think we'll hear Gatland making a few excuses when the Lions are humbled. I don't see them winning a test unfortunately. The players aren't good enough and Gatland will choose the wrong tactics.

Depressing.

I like Sir Clive though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I think we'll hear Gatland making a few excuses when the Lions are humbled. I don't see them winning a test unfortunately. The players aren't good enough and Gatland will choose the wrong tactics.

Depressing.

I like Sir Clive though.

Laugh

Cyzil I wish you were travelling with me!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:45 am

If Gatland picks the right players and tactics then we can and will beat Aus. I do hope he doesn't go for wales+ bosh bosh bosh game - then we wil lose. We have a great set of backs - we will need to use them

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

The feedback from the players was almost universally negative Headscratch

An unhappy Lions touring party is never a winning one.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I think we'll hear Gatland making a few excuses when the Lions are humbled. I don't see them winning a test unfortunately. The players aren't good enough and Gatland will choose the wrong tactics.

Depressing.

I like Sir Clive though.

Laugh

Cyzil I wish you were travelling with me!!
It'll be complete waste of money going mate.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 30 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

The guide Woodward should have wrote should have been a short and simple one which said to be successful do the exact opposite to what i did.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 30 Apr 2013, 1:53 pm

SCW Step 1:

Choose your favourite players. It doesn't matter how they're playing at the time of the tour. They've won something in the past. So they are winners. What is 'form' anyway?

WG: Tick.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:03 pm

Come back Clive! All is forgiven!!!! Cry
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:03 pm

George Carlin wrote:SCW Step 1:

Choose your favourite players. It doesn't matter how they're playing at the time of the tour. They've won something in the past. So they are winners. What is 'form' anyway?

WG: Tick.

Haha!

Step 2 will be to hire a spin doctor...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

LOL no mention of if that NZ team would have beaten the 2002 English team...plus a bit of a turnaround from his chat after the 2nd test-"I don't think they're a better team". Henry sucked it up and said how he got it wrong. SCW should do the same.

At least Gatland's picking a majority of players that aren't two years past their peak. One or two old stagers there but they seem ok to go for mine.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

Does he really say:

"Had we got things right on the pitch, I believe that separation would have been made the blueprint for future Lions tours".

Idiot. His ego is of staggering proportions.

Most sensible observers concede that the Lions were not going to win that series, but to suggest that everything was done correctly to maximise their chances is plain wrong. Too many staff, too many players, dreadful morale and team spirit cause by Sir Clive's decision to ignore form on the tour and pick his XV from the outset (only to then mess everything around for the 1st Test and go for a ludicrous midfield combination that had barely played).

If I were Gatland I'd read Sir Clive's blueprint for the Lions very carefully, and do the exact opposite.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down