The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Stadium (London)

3 posters

Go down

Olympic Stadium (London) Empty Olympic Stadium (London)

Post by Kingshu Fri 22 Mar 2013, 3:39 pm

Maybe not the right place but what are your thoughts the many issues of it.

It not going to be used by a rugby club, but is going to be used in the rugby world cup?

The stadium cost £537 million,
and will have a further £135 million spent on it to reconfigure it adding a roof for Rugby world cup and then clsoing again to be reconfigured so seats will slide over the running track to bring West Ham fans closer to the action, and capacity reduced from 80,000 to 60,000.

Not sure if capacity is reduced pre or post WC.

I just can't figure why it is so some stadiums are expensive?
Casement Park about £100 million for a 40,000 all seater stadium (planned)
Aviva stadium Cost: €410 million and is 50,000 all seater stadium?

Anyway, does the cost of building a stadium in London prevent the London cllubs from expanding, and potentionally all moving outside London? Will Leinster outgrown the RDS, (to be honest they nearly already have), and whats the alternative.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Olympic Stadium (London) Empty Re: Olympic Stadium (London)

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:20 pm

I think it would be daft to spend £100+ mil just for a RWC.

That said, the Olympic Stadium has a weird history. It was originally built with the idea that the upper level would be removed after the Olympics and leave capacity at around 25,000. The stadium was offered to a number of football clubs and also to Sarries. For some reason all teams turned it down. I can only assume it was the financials of it all. I think the cost was due to the all-everything which was built into it.

In reality, we have two Premiership London Rugby clubs. Quins and Sarries. Sarries just built their own stadium, undersized as it is. Quins seem happy at the stoop and have HQ next door. I would guess that tempers any desire to expand the Stoop, though it seems they could easily fill an additional 5000 seats.

Wasps are out in the bushes somewhere and still can't come to an agreement with their community. Don't know if Reading Irish want to move closer to 'London'.

Interesting subject.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:54 pm

London Olympic (a merger of Wasps and Irish)?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down