The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales' Summer Tour to Japan

+17
LordDowlais
Morgannwg
pioden gorllewin
wayne
Taffineastbourne
ScarletSpiderman
flyhalffactory
Aelandor
majesticimperialman
mpc28
Shifty
welshboii15
mikey_philVIII
maestegmafia
youngguns6
bedfordwelsh
wales606
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales' Summer Tour to Japan Empty Wales' Summer Tour to Japan

Post by wales606 Fri 22 Mar - 19:51

Not long left of this season, and I imagine there are still a fair few places up for grabs for the Japan tour.

Considering most of the Wales starting 15 will be on the plane to Australia, and a fair few players will be rested it will be interesting to see a few new combonations

1. Ryan Bevington (James rested, Gethin lions)
2. Ken Owens (Hibbard lions)
3. Scott Andrews (Adam lions)
4. Andrew Coombes (Charteris injured, AWJ lions)
5. Bradley Davies (c) (if fit, otherwise James King. Evans lions)
6. Aaron Shinger (Ryan injured, Lydiate rested, Warbs lions)
7. Josh Navidi (Tips lions)
8. Ieuan Jones? Andreus Pretorious? (Faletau lions)
9. Lloyd Williams (Phillips lions)
10. James Hook (Biggar lions)
11. Eli Walker (North lions)
12. Ashley Beck (Roberts lions)
13. Scott Williams (JD2 lions)
14. Tom Prydie? Harry Robinson? (Cuthbert lions)
15. Liam Williams (1/2p lions)

16. Matthew Rees (experience)
17. Rhodri Jones
18. Craig Mitchell
19. James King (Lloyd Peers?)
20. Lewis Evans
21. Gareth Davies/Tavis Knoyle
22. Rhys Patchell
23. Adam Warren?

Reserve props
?

Reserve hooker
Scott Baldwin?

Reserve locks
Lloyd Peers

Reserve backrow
Ieuan Jones/Andreus Pretorious
?

Reserve Halfback
Webb/Knoyle/Davies
?

Reserve Centres
Adam Hughes?

Reserve back3
Tom Prydie/Harry Robinson
?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales' Summer Tour to Japan Empty Re: Wales' Summer Tour to Japan

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 22 Mar - 20:05

Would definately start Lewis Evans and most probably make him skipper other than that couldselection of squad with a mixture of youth and experience.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 22 Mar - 23:21

I would love to see I Jones go but they might let him n the like go to the U20 WC.

J Evans has to go as a 9 for me.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Mar - 10:21

Patchell would be an exciting lad to have on the tour.

I would look at Stephen Shingler as an inside centre too. Jason Tovey and Owen Williams would be useful.

Nalvidi will have a great time

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar - 11:10

maestegmafia wrote:Patchell would be an exciting lad to have on the tour.

I would look at Stephen Shingler as an inside centre too. Jason Tovey and Owen Williams would be useful.

Nalvidi will have a great time

Didn't think about Shingler - he was playing well, but I haven't seen much of him recently, has he been starting for LI, Irish havent exactly been setting the world on fire at the moment.

Tovey has been playing mostly at FB, not sure if he is back to his best yet and ready to tour.

Navidi and Patchell certainly deserve a shot, and I would love to see Patchell start one of the test - although some may argue he should go with the U20s
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Mar - 11:13

Samson Lee will benefit from this tour. Great time for him to develop in the welsh environment. Although I think like Patchell and Ieuan he still qualifies for the under 20s

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar - 11:18

Whats the name of the Ospreys no8, was with the U20s?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 23 Mar - 11:32

maestegmafia wrote:Samson Lee will benefit from this tour. Great time for him to develop in the welsh environment. Although I think like Patchell and Ieuan he still qualifies for the under 20s
If correct, I see no reason as to why they shouldn't be with the U20's team at the JWC. We came third in the last tournament and those guys coming back in would help us go one better.

As for Wales in Japan, I think your back row looks weak. Lydiate, Navidi and Evans would be my selection. I would also take Ollie Kohn and start him. He will be fresh and battle hardened as opposed to just coming back from injury, and should give is us some much needed muscle up front.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar - 11:37

WA about Rhys gill really good prop

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar - 11:48

welshboii15 wrote:WA about Rhys gill really good prop

Forgot about Gill, he will probably make the tour (though he isnt playing much for Sarries) - but I would start Bevington over him
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 23 Mar - 13:57

Japan are on par with Samoa and Fiji and are not a team of skinny midgets, unless we take the strongest possible squad out there we will probably get our ásses handed to us.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sat 23 Mar - 14:08

Shifty wrote:Japan are on par with Samoa and Fiji and are not a team of skinny midgets, unless we take the strongest possible squad out there we will probably get our ásses handed to us.

Japan on par with Samoa! Are you serious? I don't think they will be a pushover by any means but they are simply not on par with Samoa.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 23 Mar - 14:16

With Gatland saying that he wants to play the SH teams more and more. Giving Wales more experence of playing them. I am surprised that they are going to Japan to be honest.

Who's idea was this? why are they touring NZ or SA for that matter? Iam am not saying that Japan wont give them a hard time. But will playing Japan be better for Wales in the long run?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 23 Mar - 14:17

With Gatland saying that he wants to play the SH teams more and more. Giving Wales more experence of playing them. I am surprised that they are going to Japan to be honest.

Who's idea was this? why arent they touring NZ or SA for that matter? Iam am not saying that Japan wont give them a hard time. But will playing Japan be better for Wales in the long run? Or is this a way of Spreading the game of Rugby around Japan?

Last edited by majesticimperialman on Sat 23 Mar - 14:25; edited 1 time in total

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 23 Mar - 14:19

Because they would lose by 50 points going to any of those countries without their first team. Same with Argentina, who will be looking for a series win over a weakened England.

Japan are certainly not on par with Samoa. They are not far off Italy however. Do they still have their kiwi coach and players?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar - 14:22

majesticimperialman wrote:With Gatland saying that he wants to play the SH teams more and more. Giving Wales more experence of playing them. I am surprised that they are going to Japan to be honest.

Who's idea was this? why are they touring NZ or SA for that matter? Iam am not saying that Japan wont give them a hard time. But will playing Japan be better for Wales in the long run?

Because it is a Lions year. We always go to 2tier nations - NZ or SA would completely destroy the 2nd/3rd string team we will be sending.

Japan are nowhere near as tough as Samoa. Our reserve pack should be able to dominate fairly comfortably, anything less that 3 wins would be a huge , huge failure.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar - 15:11

wales606 wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:With Gatland saying that he wants to play the SH teams more and more. Giving Wales more experence of playing them. I am surprised that they are going to Japan to be honest.

Because it is a Lions year. We always go to 2tier nations - NZ or SA would completely destroy the 2nd/3rd string team we will be sending.

Japan are nowhere near as tough as Samoa. Our reserve pack should be able to dominate fairly comfortably, anything less that 3 wins would be a huge , huge failure.

You're going to be hugely disappointed if you want 3 wins Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 23 Mar - 20:51

You don't think we'll get 3 wins Rev? I think we'll go over there with quite a handy side in spite of the lions call-ups.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sat 23 Mar - 21:03

mikey_philVIII wrote:You don't think we'll get 3 wins Rev? I think we'll go over there with quite a handy side in spite of the lions call-ups.

I think he was just pointing out that there are only 2 tests not 3.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar - 21:04

There only playing 2 tests Doh
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 23 Mar - 21:05

Haha. I just assumed you knew what you were talking about without checking. What a pair of asses...

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 24 Mar - 16:32

mpc28 wrote:Japan on par with Samoa! Are you serious? I don't think they will be a pushover by any means but they are simply not on par with Samoa.

There was one point in it last season when they played each other. I guess we'll see how close it is this year when they play. thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar - 16:35

Shifty wrote:
mpc28 wrote:Japan on par with Samoa! Are you serious? I don't think they will be a pushover by any means but they are simply not on par with Samoa.

There was one point in it last season when they played each other. I guess we'll see how close it is this year when they play. thumbsup

Wasnt that Samoa without most of their internationals playing in proffesional leagues?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelandor Sun 24 Mar - 16:38

Matthew Morgan at 10?

Aelandor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar - 16:42

Aelandor wrote:Matthew Morgan Rhys Patchell at 10?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 24 Mar - 17:29

I like the look of Owain Williams of the Scarlets haven't seen him much but I can see why Leicester have gone for him, I thought that Patchell then Morgan were the men behind Biggar but I think that this guy is possibly a step up from them
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar - 17:56

flyhalffactory wrote:I like the look of Owain Williams of the Scarlets haven't seen him much but I can see why Leicester have gone for him, I thought that Patchell then Morgan were the men behind Biggar but I think that this guy is possibly a step up from them

A step up from a starting regional FH who has been praised for his performance in almost every game, despite his team losing most of them.

Patchell has very few weaknesses in his game and at 19, has more composure and confidence than any FH I have seen at that age.

If Owen Williams can displace Flood at Tigers then perhaps,

But for me, Biggar and Patchell will be fighting for the 10 shirt for the forseeable - both have developed very well rounded games - although I would say that Biggar has a slightly better kicking game and has the experience of closing out tight games, while Patchell has more pace (he has twice caught a winger from behind this season) and is a better defender.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 24 Mar - 20:54

wales606 out of interest Rhys Patchell is only 19 why wasn't he selected for the U20s 6Ns. I saw Nigel Davies lad play 10 when you guys were up with us and I watched the highlights of the match against England and he was the flyhalf then or was Patchell is the squad and played the other games?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 24 Mar - 20:59

flyhalffactory wrote:wales606 out of interest Rhys Patchell is only 19 why wasn't he selected for the U20s 6Ns. I saw Nigel Davies lad play 10 when you guys were up with us and I watched the highlights of the match against England and he was the flyhalf then or was Patchell is the squad and played the other games?

Blues and WRU agreed that the regional first choice fly-half would be released for the final 2 U20 games and by then he was injured. Sam Davies would struggle to get in amateur teams and must only be in the mix because of who his daddy is. Owen Williams is another extremely good you number 10 and in my opinion better than Shingler, who they have brought back instead of trying to keep Williams.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar - 21:16

mikey_philVIII wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:wales606 out of interest Rhys Patchell is only 19 why wasn't he selected for the U20s 6Ns. I saw Nigel Davies lad play 10 when you guys were up with us and I watched the highlights of the match against England and he was the flyhalf then or was Patchell is the squad and played the other games?

Blues and WRU agreed that the regional first choice fly-half would be released for the final 2 U20 games and by then he was injured. Sam Davies would struggle to get in amateur teams and must only be in the mix because of who his daddy is. Owen Williams is another extremely good you number 10 and in my opinion better than Shingler, who they have brought back instead of trying to keep Williams.

Yep, Patchell was released for the last 2 games, but got injured Sad

He missed the Blues last game too, I really hope he is fit to face the Ospreys. We will lose anyway, but it would be interesting to see Patchell vs Biggar (as a side show to Warbs v Tips)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 25 Mar - 0:43

Ahhhh ok....... yes didn't think that much of Davies. Deffo would be good to see those two 10 at it
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar - 15:44

ScarletSpiderman - on an older thread wrote:Props -: Bevington, R Jones, Hobbs, Gill, Lee, Andrews
Hookers -: Owens, Hibbard, Myhill
Locks -: Reed, Ball, Peers
Backrow -: Shingler, L Evans, Navidi, Turnbull, Murphy

Scrum Half -: G Davies, R Webb, A.N.Other (youngster who is looking in form at the time, R Williams at the moment)
Fly Half -: Patchell, Morgan
Centre -: G Owen, S Williams, Beck, A Hughes
Back Three -: E Walker, Li Williams, D Evans, T Prydie

However looking at it now I would probably drop Hobbs and put in Mitchell, put Baldwin in for Hibbard at hooker, find somewhere to sneak Coombs in, and replace Murphy with I Jones. In the backs I would look at Jon Evans as the young scrum half, put Tom Isaacs in there instead of Prydie, and maybe sneak Owen Williams in there (cap him just incase he trys to turn nationality when at Leicester).

Probably start with -:

D Evans
L Williams
S Williams
Beck
Walker
Patchell
Webb

Bevington
Owens
Andrews
Coombs
Reed
Shingler
Navidi
L Evans
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar - 15:53

If Patchell doesnt make it at 10, he would actually make a decent centre, hes big, has a lot of pace, tackles well and gives a very good 2nd kicking option

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 25 Mar - 16:34

Liam Williams-15
Prydie-14
S.Williams-13
A.Beck-12
Walker-11
Stefan.Jones-10
Knoyle-9

James-1
Owens-2
Andrews-3
Combs-4
reed-5
King-6
Navidi-7
Pretorius-8

LH- James/Bevinton/R.Gill
H- Owens/Rees/Dacey
TH- Andrews/Mitchell
SR- Combs/Down
SR- Reed/B.Davies
BF- Shingler/King
OF- Navidi/ Sam Lewis
8- Pretorius/Murphy
SH- Knoyle/L.Williams/Webb
FH- O.Williams(scarlets)/Stefan.Jones/Hook
LW- Walker/brew
IC- Beck/Henson
OC- S.Williams/isaacs
RW- Prydie/O.Williams(Blues)
FB- Liam Williams/ Dan Evans

I wanted to pick a side that has experience and new talent, and i think i have put a group of players together that will win in Japan and will help get better group of players for the future.
34 man squard

wanted to pick samson lee and patchell but they will be away with the 20s in the world cup

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 25 Mar - 16:53

IronMike wrote:If Patchell doesnt make it at 10, he would actually make a decent centre, hes big, has a lot of pace, tackles well and gives a very good 2nd kicking option

He started the season at 12, and looked set to play there outside Tovey/Sweeney for this season (with Phil Davies playing a 10 at 12 a lot for the first few months) - but he wasn't as impressive at 12 (played a FB a couple of times which didn't go great) - he lacks a bit of contact skill at 12.

Still, I think he could play on the wing pretty easily with the pace he has got - so that's 10 - 15 covered Wink

10 is definitely his position though.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 25 Mar - 19:26

Is Dirkson at the Ospreys a)Welsh yet? b)still injured?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar - 19:29

Taff his residency only started last year due to a student visa or something, so even though he has been here three years he does not qualify until two years time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 25 Mar - 20:12

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Taff his residency only started last year due to a student visa or something, so even though he has been here three years he does not qualify until two years time.
SS, I believe he qualifies early next year 2014, might be wrong, but could have sworn I read it on our website a few months ago.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon 25 Mar - 20:21

wayne wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Taff his residency only started last year due to a student visa or something, so even though he has been here three years he does not qualify until two years time.
SS, I believe he qualifies early next year 2014, might be wrong, but could have sworn I read it on our website a few months ago.

Yeah i'm pretty sure he qualifies just before the next six nations, Hopefully he can re-find his form again after he gets back from injury.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 25 Mar - 20:23

Ta for that!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar - 20:32

wayne wrote:

Yeah sorry your right, he joined the Ospreys in 09, well Swansea really, but due to visa issue it took 5yrs to qualify, which would be 2014. Can't believe it has rolled around this quick.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 25 Mar - 20:40

cory allen could be in with a shout after his display for the wales 7's.

my squad would be:

LH: Bevington, Gill, R Jones
Hooker: E Phillips, Baldwin, Myhill
TH: Mitchell, Lee, Andrews
Locks: Peers, Ball, Coombes, Day
BS: Paterson (WQ this summer) A Shingler, J King
8: M Allen, Pretorius, I Jones
9: J Evans, R Williams, A Davies
10: Patchell, O Williams (Scarlets)
Wings: E Walker, Prydie, L Williams, A Hughes
Centres: S Williams, Beck, A Warren, C Allen
Fullback: Gareth Owen, S Shingler

Tried not to pick anyone from the starting 22 for Wales.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 25 Mar - 20:40

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:

Yeah sorry your right, he joined the Ospreys in 09, well Swansea really, but due to visa issue it took 5yrs to qualify, which would be 2014. Can't believe it has rolled around this quick.
SS, I know it is not to a lot of peoples way of thinking, because of where he has been, but I think the competition for places for Wales will be terrific with North, Cuthbert,Walker, Dirksen and Robinson coming through, perhaps there are others coming through that I know nothing about.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar - 7:43

Lock and back row are interesting.

King and Peers from the Ospreys, Coombs from Dragons, then do we take Davies or Charteris if they are fit? Or another youngster?

Similar tough calls in the back row, Baker or I Jones could play in the JRWC, Nalvidi would be a monster, Sam Lewis too. We also possibly have Lydiate, Shingler available.

Their experience could be valuable and they may be rewarded by the game time. That said, I don't want to see players like Pretourious, Kohn or Dom Day going on tour ahead of talented ounger players with more potential.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 26 Mar - 20:50

Eli Walker is due to have surgery apparently, so that probably rules him out
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 26 Mar - 21:01

When is Priestland set to return from injury? I heard it was before the season ended... So he could be in with a shout. Is it too soon for guys like Jarvis, Davies and Charteris? I guess Pretorious would go if he's available as we don't really have another number 8 playing regulary, assuming Faletau is with the Lions and Jones at the JWC.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Mar - 21:06

I can definatley see Cory Allen going.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Tue 26 Mar - 21:25

"he does not qualify until two years time." -- Youre right about the delay in his qualification period, but I'm pretty sure that he becomes Wales-qualified in 2014 -- and I think it's Jan 2014.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 26 Mar - 21:25

LordDowlais wrote:I can definatley see Cory Allen going.

Needs gametime for the Blues first :/

I imagine he will be left to get a full pre-season.

Especially with S.Williams, A.Beck and A.Warren all likely to be available and all have been around the squad in the last few years.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Mar - 21:54

Wales606 lack of regional appearances didn't stop Czekaj or Hook going on summer tours when the Lions were playing, so who knows.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next