The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Tour of Japan

+2
Shifty
Welshmushroom
6 posters

Go down

Wales Tour of Japan Empty Wales Tour of Japan

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:53 pm

So after a few days to digest the result on Saturday and a host of ex players & commentators labelling the depth in wales as not good enough, ive decided to share my view. JD for example mentioned during the Argentina v England game that maybe its an indication the Aviva Premiership is stronger than the Rabbo.

I cant agree with this.  Partly because I think the coaches got selection so wrong.  Bottom line most of the players who got taken didn't really have that much Rabbo experience in the first place.

The thing that was glaring for me was at Centre where Spratt & Williams where totally out of there depth.  Patchell made a big difference when he came on which just shows how much they lacked in that department.  I'm assuming Adam Hughes (Dragons) must have been injured because how he can be ignored is beyond me.  I also think Dixon (U20) would have been a better choice than either of those.  I also think Maule should have gone as the outside centre.  Had they had some physical busting centres the backline I think would have been better utilised.

Tighthead Prop worries me.  Mitchell showed he clearly is out of his depth at Tighthead at international level.  I'm on the fence with Andrews as well.  Again I can only imagine Samson Lee was injured, as too Joe Rees (Ospreys).  Additionally Buck would have been another to look at.  For me they got those calls totally wrong. 

Im all for trying youngsters but they have to show promise in the first place.  I actually think had they picked a tour team based on form they would have learned more about their depth.

Andy Fenby for me for example, just for his efforts and try scoring for the Scarlets over the last 2 seasons deserved a call up.  He should have been in the back 3 with Williams & Robinson.

Back Row was also a total selection mess.  Pretorious for example isn't good enough at 8 at Rabbo level, let alone internationally.  King also hasn't developed as well as originally thought although in fairness to him that is more down to regular game time at the Ospreys.

Don't get me wrong though - Japan were excellent.  They deserved the win, no doubt about it.  I just worry that at times we are capping players before they have actually proved themselves good enough at league level.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Wales Tour of Japan Empty Re: Wales Tour of Japan

Post by Shifty Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

I agree with selection. Spratt would be a good example, an uncapped center who is 27 years old.

James Hook is also 27, as is Andrew Bishop the first choice Ospreys center also 27. Why exactly would you take a uncapped 27 year old center who is only a regional squad player who covers international call ups?

What did Spratt do this season to be considered ahead of them two?

As I posted on another thread that was our talent pool excluding our Lions:

15 Lee Bryne / Gavin Henson
14 Tom James / Harry Robinson
13 Ashley Beck / Scott Williams / Andrew Bishop
12 Cory Allen / James Hook
11 Aled Brew / Eli Walker
10 Dan Biggar / Ryhs Priestland
9 Dwayne Peel / Lloyd Williams / Tavis Knoyle
8 Ryan Jones / Morgan Allen / Andries Pretorius
7 Josh Navidi / Sam Lewis
6 James King / Aaron Shingler
5 Luke Charteris / Andrew Coombs
4 Olly Kohn / Bradley Davies
3 Craig Mitchell / Eifion Lewis-Roberts / Scott Andrews / Sampson Lee
2 Ken Owens / Matthew Rees /
1 Paul James / Rhys Gill / Ryan Bevington

It's a pity more of these players were not selected.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

Shifty,

Add Lewis Evans, Jon Evans and Adam Hughes to that list but please get rid of T James, Pretorious and Kohn.

Didn't realise Spratt was that old thought he was still a youngsters, well cpmpared to me he is Crying or Very sad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:08 pm

This has to be the biggest knee jerk reaction I've ever seen.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm

We stole players from the U20s....

We should have stolen the coaches!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:55 pm

Japan just beat Canada 16-13 in their Pacfic Nations Cup match in Nagoya (having previously lost to Fiji and Tonga). Canada were favourites to win this match and take the trophy with an unbeaten record. Now, if Fiji beats Tonga, then they will probably be the champions on superior points difference.

The happiest people watching this match were the Fijian team. They were on the sidelines, having played their fixture against the United States on the same ground beforehand.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down