The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Wyn Lions Captain or Tool?

+19
ChequeredJersey
Geordie
Scarpia
fa0019
flyhalffactory
maestegmafia
Glas a du
irfon17
t1000advancedprototype
Taffineastbourne
George Carlin
Shifty
RubyGuby
wales606
welshboii15
mikey_philVIII
Knowsit17
wayne
dragonbreath
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alan Wyn Lions Captain or Tool? Empty Alan Wyn Lions Captain or Tool?

Post by dragonbreath Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

Just saw AWJ interviewed after the Ospreys game. When asked in a perfectly reasonable manner about all the talk surrounding his credentials as a potential Lions Captain, his response was unnecessarily rude and his attitude distastefully arrogant. Now I can understand why he would not want to answer such a question but to completely ignore the guy asking the question (making him look like a complete FOOL) and provide an answer to a question that wasn't even asked was pathetic. He was arrogant and disrespectful to a guy he probably knows well and was bang out of order.

AWJ came across like a complete Meat trombone soloist and for I one wouldn't want him as Lions Captain, He would be an embarrassment

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Alan Wyn Lions Captain or Tool? Empty Re: Alan Wyn Lions Captain or Tool?

Post by wayne Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

dragonbreath wrote:Just saw AWJ interviewed after the Ospreys game. When asked in a perfectly reasonable manner about all the talk surrounding his credentials as a potential Lions Captain, his response was unnecessarily rude and his attitude distastefully arrogant. Now I can understand why he would not want to answer such a question but to completely ignore the guy asking the question (making him look like a complete FOOL) and provide an answer to a question that wasn't even asked was pathetic. He was arrogant and disrespectful to a guy he probably knows well and was bang out of order.

AWJ came across like a complete Meat trombone soloist and for I one wouldn't want him as Lions Captain, He would be an embarrassment
The ONLY embarrassments last night at the Liberty was your team and the pitch side reporter who always asks the most mundane and inefectual questions.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm

If you find AWJ's response so embarrassing, maybe you'd care to enlighten us on how you'd have reacted to somebody querying your leadership credentials. Would you have said "Yes, I'm your man" and come across as arrogant and up yourself or "No, I shouldn't be skipper" and come across as lacking in self-confidence? Say how you think it should be done before throwing a hissy fit about how someone else is doing it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

He would have to make the Lions tour first, which he knows. How he responded was the correct way to respond, he is concentrating on the next game and the next game only like all professional players.That to me shows he is a fantastic Ospreys captain on and off the pitch. The only embarrassing fool here dragon breath is you when you posting such posts.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

AWJ couldnt answer because he needs to carry on with his job for the ospreys. if any other player answered it with a yes i should be captain then hes a tool and if he said no then he might not want it but if he answers like AWJ it means he has more important things to do than answer such a silly questions

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

He responded by saying he was focused on the next game for the Ospreys.

Don't see the problem
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

I'm with dragon breath all the way here. Irrespective of AWJ as a player he showed a complete lack of intellect and composure in that interview and it was embarassing to listen to his repetitve drivel. Compare that to the maturity of BOD, Ryan Jones, and Robshaw among others and AWJ has illustrated why he lacks some of the key ingredients to lead the Lions, if indeed he's in the frame. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:If you find AWJ's response so embarrassing, maybe you'd care to enlighten us on how you'd have reacted to somebody querying your leadership credentials. Would you have said "Yes, I'm your man" and come across as arrogant and up yourself or "No, I shouldn't be skipper" and come across as lacking in self-confidence? Say how you think it should be done before throwing a hissy fit about how someone else is doing it.

He should be saying, "it's flattering to be considered but I'm just concentrating on getting on with my job with the Ospreys and we can see where we go from there" - He was pitiful. If he feels that Phil Steele is badgering him then god forbid if he has to open his mouth after a first test loss, I'd shudder to think what would come out:thumbsup:

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

well after a local derby and the ospreys fighting for top 4 finish im sure the last thing on his mind straight after game was the lions captaincy and a decent persons questions would be whats your thoughts on next weekends local derby at the millenium stadium, not whats your thoughts on beinging Lions captain shocking

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

Ruby, I've always got time for as measured and objective a response as that. What I have little time for is approaches such as that taken by the OP which are downright insulting and disrespectful towards the party they're addressing.

Personally I wasn't even considering AWJ as a dead cert for being on the plane, let alone a candidate for the armband, prior to Shane's (perhaps overly glossy) recommendation. And also I don't watch rugby to judge between personalities and deduce who's the most apt at giving an interview.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

welshboii15 wrote:well after a local derby and the ospreys fighting for top 4 finish im sure the last thing on his mind straight after game was the lions captaincy and a decent persons questions would be whats your thoughts on next weekends local derby at the millenium stadium, not whats your thoughts on beinging Lions captain shocking

That's exactly the reason why he shouldn't be Lions captain - Absolute Tool - Answer the man's question with dignity and maturity thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Knowsit - I'm just agreeing with the OP about the fact that AWJ did himself no favours with that interview last night, Phil Steele is an easy interviewer and he just showed him so much disrespect - AWJ will regret that if he sees it again thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:well after a local derby and the ospreys fighting for top 4 finish im sure the last thing on his mind straight after game was the lions captaincy and a decent persons questions would be whats your thoughts on next weekends local derby at the millenium stadium, not whats your thoughts on beinging Lions captain shocking

That's exactly the reason why he shouldn't be Lions captain - Absolute Tool - Answer the man's question with dignity and maturity thumbsup

if i was you id leave this post with some dignity and maturity because you clearly don't have much nolidge on what your talking about

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm

you clearly don't have much nolidge laughing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:51 pm

RubyGuby wrote:you clearly don't have much nolidge laughing

lets be honest you really need to start reading your past comments on other posts you have next to no nolidge on rugby because you speak utter stupidity

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

welshboii - Are you Alun Wyn, or do you write his after match comments thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

nope but i have met and spoke to him on many occasions and how down to earth and such a nice guy that he is and because the guy don't answer meaning less questions at the moment don't make him a tool it makes the idiots making such bad posts the tools

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm

TOOL thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:21 am

I don't think he did much wrong, he was there to answer questions about the Ospreys fantastic win.

Why should he be asked questions about himself and the Lions captaincy? Espceically when such a great effort had been put in by the Ospreys. I like Phil Steele but he was disrespectful to the Ospreys to put questions about AWJ and the Lions when AWJ was there to talk about the game that just happened. Also I think AWJ got annoyed when Phil talked about the Ospreys big name players and coming into form at the right time, which basically means their only starting to try because there is a Lions tour at the end of the season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:46 am

Captain or tool? Are those the only options?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:47 am

nolidge?! Ha!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:08 am

Look - lets forget the banter and extremism - I'm happy to suggest that it was a poor interview by AWJ and I think he will regret the way he conducted himself - In Aus after a first test defeat an interviewer is likely to say something on the lines of, "do you think too many welsh players were involved just based on a one off reult against England", based on the lack of composure last night he will be a laughing stock - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:06 am

He did himself no favours with that response.As our noisy neighbours say,he will learn from this and move on Smile

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

I watched that live and AWJ did nothing wrong or rude. He did a vague smirk indicating "did you really need to ask that question".

The interviewer knows he's touring.
We know he's touring.
AWJ knows he's touring.

If the media and pundits are tipping you as a potential captain then it's obvious you're going.

It's not AWJ's place to talk about the lions at this time.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:19 am

There are ways of dodging a question or refusing to answer it without coming across as arrogant, rude and disrespectful.

Avoiding the question was obviously the correct thing to do but I agree with Ruby, maybe AWJ is a nice guy and not a tool- but responding in that way did make him come across as one.

All he had to do was preface his actual answer with some thing along the lines of "I'd prefer to talk about the performance tonight........."

Whether this should count against a possible lions captaincy- probably not, but it certainly doesn't count in favour.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

Steele will tell you the answer was irrelevant, it was all about the question. Everybody hearing it had their own view, AWJ's response would only amplify the views of him, very few opinions would change.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

It was typical of a modern rugby show interviewer to ask that sort of question. I am very glad AWJ ignored it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

The Ospreys just put in a storming performance, seven individual tries, great pack effort, the whole 22 was used and played their part in a fantastic win which put the region into the playoffs. Dan Lydiate back for his first competitive match, and some serious questions about the NGDs contribution.

So much for Ospreys captain AWJ to enthuse over and show respect to his fellow players and also to chat about their next match.

And what does he get asked about?............ strewth no wonder he chose to ignore such a leading question, can you imagine the press the next day

AWJ states "based on that performance I should be leading the Lions"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:31 pm

1 rubbish pundit says he should get the captaincy and then the whole world goes crazy.

It was the same with O'Connell... Oh Johnson turned out to be a great choice.. He wasn't captain of his country either at the time... So the no nonsense lock is the obvious choice then.

Johnson turned out to be a one off player... We can't just replicate what was successful 16 years ago and assume we'll be successful. Where I think the 09 tour started to go wrong in part... McGeechan tried to replicate much of the 97 tour without accepting rugby had changed since then.

Is he first choice? where has he been in high pressured leadership issues before? Has gatland ever had him has captain before.... In his whole 4 years with Wales??? If not then why would he chose him as the best man to lead his team in his most important rugby quest?

I think he's a top player and he would be in my 23 for sure... But he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the last tour... Was quite disappointing and quiet.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sun 24 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

fa0019 wrote:1 rubbish pundit says he should get the captaincy and then the whole world goes crazy.

You mean:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21851951

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

fa0019 wrote:Where I think the 09 tour started to go wrong in part... McGeechan tried to replicate much of the 97 tour without accepting rugby had changed since then.

The reason the 09 tour went wrong was the contribution of one Ronan O'Gara. You have to hate a guy who in the same year puts in a match winning performance against your side (Wales) and single-handedly throws away the game when he plays for a team you're supporting.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:10 pm

Scarpia wrote:
fa0019 wrote:1 rubbish pundit says he should get the captaincy and then the whole world goes crazy.

You mean:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21851951

I thought it was jiffy originally.

Johnson was a great player... As a coach... Well we all know that one. he chose Steve borthwick as his first captain.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

Captain? Really.

He wouldnt even be on my list to tour...let alone go as Captain.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 25 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Captain? Really.

He wouldnt even be on my list to tour...let alone go as Captain.

Why?........... we at the forum are all waiting (for your rationale) with bated breath
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

I just think there are better lineout second rows...and better enforcer style second rows...

Ive said this many times before over the years...i think Wales have better locks...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:18 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I just think there are better lineout second rows...and better enforcer style second rows...

Ive said this many times before over the years...i think Wales have better locks...

Ok...................... Who?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I just think there are better lineout second rows...and better enforcer style second rows...

Adam Jones in one article over the weekend said he was the best Wales second row he has seen, it was in either the Guardian, Independent or the Eastern fail, there is a link in one of the topics on 606.It is on the Independant article where Adam has a go at Rowntrees interpretation of what happened last weekend

Last edited by wayne on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found extra information)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

What did AWJ actually say?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

Evans for a start
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Evans for a start
Agree about Evans, very good player who seems to improve every time I see him play. Second row is wide open making it hard to pick a captain playing in that position. Plus if Gatland rated AWJ as captain material then wouldn't he have given him the job before Sam W was originally given the armband, or even Jenkins for the England game? I know the last one was Bob Howleys call but you can't tell me Gatland didn't have any input into it.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:What did AWJ actually say?

Its not what he said it's about the way he condcuted himself - it was immature and foolish and illustrated he does not have what it takes to be a Lions Capatain - I generally like the guy and he has come back strong but he will regret the way he managed that interview thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:59 am

And I thought the first part of his first name was Alun, not Alan Wink

Gatland has apparently got a captain in mind, although he hasn't spoken to them about it. He has also said that there is no room for sentimentality, and that this is a results driven business. Also that the tour captain may not make the test starting XV.

For me that all points to Ryan Jones or Warburton as tour captain.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:21 am

AWJ as captain of the Lions??? That's nearly as crazy as the posters suggesting Madigan will tour.

Awful Wyn Jones only link to the '13 Lions should be watching it on TV.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:AWJ as captain of the Lions??? That's nearly as crazy as the posters suggesting Madigan will tour.

That is absolute rubbish. AWJ has proved time and time again that he is one of the best locks in the NH. When you have world class players like Adam jones and Martin Johnson not only commending his play but recommending him as a potential the tour captain you have to listen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:41 am

I disagree, I think he's extremely average, I've never rated him.

I can think of more than half a dozen locks that are much better players than him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:43 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:AWJ as captain of the Lions??? That's nearly as crazy as the posters suggesting Madigan will tour.

That is absolute rubbish. AWJ has proved time and time again that he is one of the best locks in the NH. When you have world class players like Adam jones and Martin Johnson not only commending his play but recommending him as a potential the tour captain you have to listen.

Maesteg - What did you think about his performances in the last lions tour?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:55 am

I thought he did well but he wasn't as experienced. Up against probably the best in the world in opposition and with their near rivals, POC and DOC at the time he was not a front runner.

In the last four years he has grown massively as a player.

Good to see him being so well respected by such esteemed players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:07 pm

Not as experienced as now you mean.... of course... but by 09 he'd had already had 30+caps and been to a world cup. Look at Johnson for instance.... 1 cap in 93 then went on lions tour to NZ as a replacement but nudged 2 already existing locks out of the test side and played very well.

I recall Jones always being favourite to test from the start of the series, big things were expected from him but by the end I think he was probably 5th in the list of locks. i.e. last. I myself favoured him probably falling for the hype which does tend to surround him.

Sure he was playing Bakkies & Matfield but I can't stop thinking this is often the case with Jones.... we build him up to be this legend lock player in the mould of recent greats but come the crunch he's average. I've always thought Evans and prior to him Charteris eclipses him constantly.

I think the lions can do better myself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

Totally agree Fa0019.

AWJ constantly flatters to deceive imo, he seems to look good when everybody else looks good.

I really hope he doesn't tour.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm

He looked good against Parling, Launchbury, Hamilton and Grey and no one has a problem with those 4 being touted as tourists and that was coming back after injury thumbsup: thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next