The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

+16
BoxingFan88
tunes666
mobilemaster8
Makaveli
milkyboy
seanmichaels
hampo17
eddyfightfan
manos de piedra
azania
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? Empty Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

Afternoon Fellas,

I went back in the youtube time machine last night and watched a bit of Danny Garcia and couldn't help but think he doesn't get a fair shake on forums, YouTube etc.

When the fight was made against Khan, a lot of people (including myself) seen it as a cherry picked fight against one of the weakest title holders.........How wrong we were!

Because hes not flash, lightning quick, etc I feel this leads people to believe he is a soft touch.

Not me anymore though, he seems to have found his groove at world level and that left hand is one of the most vicious in the sport. Completely wiping out Khan, Morales etc.

He may not be the most exciting to watch, but he always gets the job done (recently in style).

I think 140lbers can view him as weak at their own peril. He is as solid as they come and I think apart from maybe Mattysse (50/50 fight in my eyes) Garcia beats every other fighter in the division.

Thoughts guys?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? Empty Re: Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm

Na hes a ok fighters made to look better than he is by the flaws of others. Like Barkley.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? Empty Re: Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:14 pm

I think he is slightly underrated by some, he's not quit egot what it takes to be a superstar, he is beatable, but I think he has a shot against anyone in the 140lb division.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

Barkley call is a good one................Ordinary fighter who got lucky.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm

Knocking out Khan and Morales doesnt really prove he has huge power. He is lucky he hasn't been in with a real tough guy yet as he's easy to hit and might not hae the ability to box for rounds on end

Morales gave him lots of trouble i their first fight and until large championship rounds it was very close. Had morales had more power or speed Garica would have been in trouble. They were punch for punch through most of it but garcia's work always looked more solid so it was easier to give the rounds to him

I'd take the Matthysse-Peterson winner to beat him as a hailary left wont bail him out and maybe Khan in a rematch. I don't care what people thin but imo Khan was having as easy a time as he had anyone and was in the process of busing up Garcia's face with constant right hands that were landing

He shouldn't have too much problem with Judah who can't seem to pull the trigger anymore and his reflexes seem to be on the wane but the real acid test would be matthysse-Peterson winner. Olusegun, had he got back in the ring after the Matthysse loss, would beat him as he has the toughness, skill an speed to our point him

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

I like Garcia and I want to see him succeed, as he seems like a good fella and I think he has quite a bit of ambition about him.

That said, I'm not all that sold on him and his abilities just yet. He probably hasn't been given enough credit for the Khan win, I suppose - he was looking for that counter left as Khan unloaded from the off, to be fair, and even if it was the only tactic he had, the fact is it worked - but I do believe that Garcia beating Khan was very much an exception to the rule. He's easy to hit, doesn't have speed in his favour and, while the stoppages of Khan and Morales were impressive, I don't think he's going to be able to turn out the lights of many of the top, top guys at 140 or 147 in the future.

He'll beat Judah, of that I have no doubt whatsoever, and in fact I think he's likely to stop Zab. But if he's still holding all of those belts once the dust has settled on Golden Boy's proposed Light-Welter showdown tournament, I'll be very surprised.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

I believe he is underrated. One thing he has going for his is timing. Both in the ring as a fighter and that he's around when there are several quality LWWs around.

I don't think he got lucky against Khan as many claim. He timed the punch as he knew what Khan was doing. Great win.

Love his dad also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

Im not fully sold on Garcia to be honest. Going into the Khan fight there wasn’t a great deal to suggest he was a power puncher at all. However he is a young guy and its probable that he is developing and improving all the time and gaining power. I still cant shake the feeling that against Khan he was getting a bit of hiding though until he caught Khan with a big shot. You can argue he was looking for it and that was his plan but I couldn’t envisage Garcia outpointing Khan based on what I saw. Its strange that given he is a “Ring” champion there is still several guys in the division you would think are well capable of beating him. I think Judah will a decent test for him as long as Judah isn’t completely finished. I certainly wouldn’t have Garcia top 15 or 20 at the moment though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

i think garcia is about maidana's level but hits a little harder, your right about the lethal left hook, but thats his most dangerous punch. look to his first fight with morales to see how limited he is.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i think garcia is about maidana's level but hits a little harder, your right about the lethal left hook, but thats his most dangerous punch. look to his first fight with morales to see how limited he is.

Why not look at his second fight with Erik?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

because that doesn't prove my point as well

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:00 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:because that doesn't prove my point as well

So you pick a fight where he didn't look good and ignore the on where he did look good to prove your point that he is over-rated.

Good one.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

He still got caught fairly easily in the second fight against Morales untill he hurt him at the end if the third

The fact is he struggled with a 35 year old fat featherweight who can't punch and had been knocked out at lower weights and wa sun far too many wars

He was also very ordinary agaisnt gatekeepers like Holt, Campbell and Theophane

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:He still got caught fairly easily in the second fight against Morales untill he hurt him at the end if the third

The fact is he struggled with a 35 year old fat featherweight who can't punch and had been knocked out at lower weights and wa sun far too many wars

Would anyone call JMM a 39 year old fat FW if he loses to Garcia?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

The knockout of Morales in the second fight was scary, I watched it again recently and that shot actually spun Morales round, not just snapped his head. He has a fair bit of power on him but I want to see him with a guy who can match is power, Matthyse or Maidana are the fighters I want to see him in with.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm

Hes a young guy though, so hes gaining experience and developing all the time at the stage in his career he is at. I still think I need to see more of him to form a proper judgement though. At the moment I dont think hes top twenty material and havent really seen too much from him to think he will go on to be a really top fighter.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

There are seemingly a lot of fighters who have upped their game to another level recently. Found KO power from nowhere. Trying hard not be cynical but boxing doesn't do itself any favours.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:10 pm

azania wrote:

So you pick a fight where he didn't look good and ignore the on where he did look good to prove your point that he is over-rated.

Good one.

yeh, who'd do a thing like that Az.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:14 pm

azania wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:He still got caught fairly easily in the second fight against Morales untill he hurt him at the end if the third

Would anyone call JMM a 39 year old fat FW if he loses to Garcia?

Jesus Christ man what's wrong with you, you have literally spouted on every Matthysse thread that Soto is a fat SFW and you don't think Morales is a fat FW. Have you seen Morale since his comeback.

JMM has proved himself as he went up in weight and has always been in shape unlike morales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

Don't think he's under or over-rated, I don't think anyone on here thinks he's the next big thing nor does anyone think he's being done a massive dis-service. He did a solid job on Khan who has already been shown to struggle against heavy handed fighters and he's flattened Morales (who most believe should have had one foot in the "retirement home" a long time ago) and accept the win was against a faded great.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

I am with Az here.

WHU its easy to say that Khan was having an easy night up until he got took out, but using that logic then we forget about gameplans in a fight.

It was blatenly obvious that Garcia was going for that left hook. He had missed a few times in the previous round and it was just a matter of time before it landed. And as for the comment that he is only good because of his opponents flaws, that is nonsense, of course he wins due to the other fighters flaws, thats the whole point of a gameplan and training.

When you look at the shots Khan has been hit with since he stepped things up (Maidana, Peterson etc) the fact that Garcia was able to take that fight by the scruff of the neck and the pressure he put on Khan was brutal, the 4th round he threw Khan about like a wet tracksuit. Something we have never seen being done to Khan EARLY in a fight because he tends to be the quick starter. (Prescott loss wasn't the same as it was only about 3 punches that finished it, not really a beatdown).
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:26 pm

I think he is underrated in the sense that his wins against morales and khan have been discredited as "lucky punches". Those wins were anything but lucky punches, having said that, i think he loses to mathyse, rios and alvarado, and depending on how he fights, khan in a rematch.

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:27 pm

milkyboy wrote:
azania wrote:

Good one.

Are you copying me then or just trying to be contrary?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

azania wrote:

Good one.

i didn't say he was over rated, i said he was limited with a lethal left hook, and even the second fight proves that point.

he has power, a good engine and a good chin, and that can be enough (look at matteysse) but i don't think he would cope well with a good technical fighter, he was getting his ears boxed of by khan till he landed, and has struggled with very limited opposition.

i don't think he deserves to be ring magazine champion, khan is his best win by far. i can actually see judah giving him fits, but think garcia will get to him eventually.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

I think he is the worst champ at the weight.

I wouldnt say he was under-rated, id say we rate him as we see him.

A slow boxer with decent power and timing.

Has not looked great in any of his fights to my knowledge, especially the 1st Morales fight and the 3 rounds Khan battered him before getting caught (although its not hard to Knock khan out).

I think he will lose to Zab.

Dont know why, and i know its a bit of a statement, but i see Zab knocking him out.

One last hurrah, home town, world title fight against a guy who gets punched far too much, isnt quick and simply isnt great.

If Zab turns up for the first time in years, then i see him taking the belt. In style.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I am with Az here.

Jesus Reborn... steady on...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:15 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I am with Az here.

Jesus Reborn... steady on...

laughing
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:18 pm

azania wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
azania wrote:

Good one.

Neither az, not a poster on here who hasn't cherry picked an example to prove his point, whilst conveniently over-looking something that might counter it. You and me most definitely included fella

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:19 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I think he is the worst champ at the weight.

I wouldnt say he was under-rated, id say we rate him as we see him.

A slow boxer with decent power and timing.

Has not looked great in any of his fights to my knowledge, especially the 1st Morales fight and the 3 rounds Khan battered him before getting caught (although its not hard to Knock khan out).

I think he will lose to Zab.

Dont know why, and i know its a bit of a statement, but i see Zab knocking him out.

One last hurrah, home town, world title fight against a guy who gets punched far too much, isnt quick and simply isnt great.

If Zab turns up for the first time in years, then i see him taking the belt. In style.

Bit of an exaggeration there I think. Since the Prescott fight and before the Garcia fight, Khan hadn't even been knocked down let alone knocked out.

And I think its also a bit harsh to say Garcia is slow. His footwork may not be the quickest but he is still very fast with his punches. The faster Khan was nt quick enough to get out of the way and we all seen how that ended.

I also think in that fight Garcia showed how good he is at pacing a finish, he picked his last shots to perfection when Khan was hurt. Had him all over the place. A slow lumbering fighter that hes made out to be couldn't have preformed that.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:
azania wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
azania wrote:

Good one.

Neither az, not a poster on here who hasn't cherry picked an example to prove his point, whilst conveniently over-looking something that might counter it. You and me most definitely included fella

Perfectly described every Az arguement.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

Have not really seen him out box anyone who is good, he has just Knocked them out. Khan it's world class with some silly flaws which Gercia was good enough to expose but in his previous 2 fights the flaws where there to see.. And Moralis was past it..

So for me he could prove to be the man but as of yet the jury is open..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

Every opponent of Khan's knew his flaws.

Paulie, Maidana, Kotelnik, Judah, Peterson...

All knew he is vunerable, but only Garcia managed to stop him.

The others mentioned, all world class and not one of them even scored a knockdown.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:14 pm

I don't rate him at all, he struggled life and death with Morales in the first fight, I think a good boxer who can take a shot will easily outbox him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:I don't rate him at all, he struggled life and death with Morales in the first fight, I think a good boxer who can take a shot will easily outbox him.

He wiped the floor with him in the second fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm

azania wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:I don't rate him at all, he struggled life and death with Morales in the first fight, I think a good boxer who can take a shot will easily outbox him.

He wiped the floor with him in the second fight.

Wasn't Morales taking drugs to lose weight?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

Yes. Your point?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

azania wrote:Yes. Your point?

He wasn't very well prepared...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm

Garcia was very nervous in the first fight as he said. Fighting a legend and all that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:41 pm

Garcia holds the single biggest win in the division right now so if he's not that good then the rest must be even worse.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Garcia holds the single biggest win in the division right now so if he's not that good then the rest must be even worse.

Matthysse will kill him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:45 pm

The Matthysse who lost to Zab?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Garcia holds the single biggest win in the division right now so if he's not that good then the rest must be even worse.

Matthysse will kill him.

Can't see it, Garcia has beaten a better boxer than Matthysse, chin issues or not the skill is landing the big shot in the first place.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:04 am

Matthyse losses to Zab and Alexander were a joke and we all know that.

Was on the wrong side of boxing politics unfortunately.

matthysse would clean Garcia up along with the majority of the 140lbs division!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:22 am

Danny Garcia has a great left hook and will improve if he moves up in weight IMO. But he is not underrated.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

davidemore wrote:Danny Garcia has a great left hook and will improve if he moves up in weight IMO. But he is not underrated.

he isn't underrated, as his record is thin, if he continues to win then he will be looked at more favorably.

your right about the left hook though, he does have the power to put anyone to sleep.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:10 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Matthyse losses to Zab and Alexander were a joke and we all know that.

I had Zab winning a close decision but had Lucas ahead against Alexander hence I only mentioned him losing to Zab. When Lucas fights a live opponent then we can make a case for him winning. I reckon Alexander was weight drained when he fought Lucas. Look how bog he is at WW now.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:32 am

To be fair AZ he has been fighting "live" fighters.

Ajose Olusegun, Humberto Soto, Devon Alexander, Zab Judah, Mike Dallas Jr and soon to face Lamont Peterson.

All live and decent operators who he has handled easily!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Matthyse losses to Zab and Alexander were a joke and we all know that.

What does the fare cost? I'm not planning taking a ride on the matthysse hype train anytime soon, but thought I'd ask the conductor in case the mood takes me anytime soon. Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

Costs £10 on box nation Milky.....

But seriously i think he can.

He handled Alexander with ease and should have got the nod. He handled Zab and won in many peoples eyes.

Baring in mind Alexander is a world champ supposedly wanted by Mayweather.

He should be undefeated.

Your telling me he cant beat Garcia? Khan? Bradley? Alexander (again)? Rios at LWW?

He would be tough for anyone.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

I wouldnt say Matthysse handled Zab or Alexander with ease, even if one had him winning both fights. Still not sure how Garcia would fare against those guys though. It strikes me as pretty competitive division where any of the top 6 guys could beat the other on a given day.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next