The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes

+16
jimdig
AlexHuckerby
Lumbering_Jack
tunes666
hampo17
davidemore
Valero's Conscience
TRUSSMAN66
azania
TopHat24/7
owen10ozzy
School Project
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
TheMackemMawler
Seanusarrilius
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes Empty Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Danny Garcia is making noise like he is going to move to 147 soon. Hopefully, he won't use this as an excuse to duck Matthysse, should he flatten Peterson, but if he doesn't, is this a sign of Goldenboy building and undefeated fighter of PR decent for a May 5th 2014 fight with Floyd. Now, we know a style like Garcia's is a meal for May. Too open, and swings wide punches that open him up too much. But he is very entertaining in the ring, and the pre-fight banter between Angel Garcia and Mayweather's dad would be apocolyptic.

Garcia is undefeated too. Young lion and blah blah blah.

Garcia v Mayweather next year. I can see it happening.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes Empty Re: Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Oscar hates Floyd and clearly wants to end his career. It's become something of an obsession and I'm afraid Oscar will go to his grave not having completed his mission. Garcia is yet another fighter in a long line of fighters who doesn't possess enough to beat Floyd.

When the time comes and Floyd does get beaten you'll know it's only because some loose tape got caught in the spokes of his wheelchair

Back to top Go down

Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes Empty Re: Danny Garcia and the Mayweather stakes

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Oscar hates Floyd and clearly wants to end his career. It's become something of an obsession and I'm afraid Oscar will go to his grave not having completed his mission. Garcia is yet another fighter in a long line of fighters who doesn't possess enough to beat Floyd.

When the time comes and Floyd does get beaten you'll know it's only because some loose tape got caught in the spokes of his wheelchair

Alvarex would have a shot, IMO. Mainly due to size and timing, as Floyd's legs aren't what they once were. That said, I don't see Floyd taking that fight. Garcia could be a good fight for him next year. I see that happening.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 pm

I can't say who is or should be a light-middlewight, welterweight or light-welterweight anymore. The boundaries have become too blurred. Too much moving around between those weights, especially between LW and W. It's the same fighters fighting in the wrong category. They move up to avoid people or get fights made, then the person they wanted to avoid moves up then they avoid each other anyway. None of that is strictly true but I never know who's fighting at what from one day to the next. Very confusing.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Certainly very possible. A decent win for Garcia at 147 and he would be tick all the boxes for one of those Mexican festivals this time next year. Would not have much of a problem with it if Mayweather targets Alvarez beforehand but I think if Mayweather fails to meet Alvarez before he retires (or even over the next 12 months) its not going to look good for him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Unfortunately I think that Garcia is going to do exactly what you think he will

If not Canelo than i'll really struggle to get excited about Floyds next fight, and i'm 99% sure it wont be Canelo. Garcia will sell well, wins over Khan, Morales, and judah, undeafeated, puertorican-american origin etc and most importantly he's nowhere near as good as floyd

Wasn't particularly impressed with him against Judah although he showed some grit, he shouldnt be the one getting beat up and hurt against the 36 year old 4 round fighter in the championship rounds

Matthysse or Peterson are tough enough to take his best and hit hard enough to put him down so i'm not sure GB would.like to make those fights

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm not a Garcia fan, so as immature this is for me to admit... I would loved to see Garcia on his butt and his loud mouth Daddy throwing fits about it.

Also, can you imagine the build up before the fight between the Mayweathers and Garcias Dad? It would make for great TV - but the fight? Although it looks good on paper, it smells of a mismatch. On the flip side - who else is there at Welterweight for Mayweather now?

Berto has lost 2 of his last 3, Marquez looks set against Bradley (both Top Rank fighters) and Kell Brook isn't anywhere near the star to be in with Mayweather...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:22 pm

If Mayweather doesn't take on Alvarez before he retires (which I think will be within the next 18 months) then for me his stock majorly falls in terms of all time standing and legacy he leaves behind.

He would have avoided the two biggest fights/challenges of his era and would not have that career defining match-up that all greats have...and it would be inexcusable.

The one thing which I hate Mayweather fans using is this idea that Alvarez is simply too big and would have to much of an advantage in size. Well that may very well be the case but then why is Floyd campaigning at this weight. He has no excuses for avoiding this fight...it is the money fight out there and I would argue to a degree that it is possibly a bigger money spinner than any long overdue Pacman fight!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Mayweather to absolutely school (yes, I am aware of Jab's thread) Garcia on the way to an LKO.

Thought he looked poor on the weekend. He's struggled past a fat old washed up Morales I, was getting totally outboxed by Khan before finding the glory punch, knicked a tight decison v Kendall Holt for his first strap, and last weekend failed to finish renowned buckler Judah who's collapsed in just about every top level fight he's ever had. And I scored that one darn tight too, 7-5 in rounds with the extra point difference from the knockdown. Zab's an old man now and just got a whooping from Khan.

Garcia's punches were wide looping and predictable, his movement slow and ponderous. Basically he's durable with decent power. That's it. Basically made for Mayweather.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm

If Garcia is not beaten by Dec, he will rematch Khan. Khan will beat him and then get thrown in against another belt holder. Simply put, Khan is more marketable and delivers exciting fights. A made for TV fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, as much as I agree with rest of what you say, and that Garcia is limited and Khan a vastly superior boxer, seeing Amir dropped again over the weekend my a nothing special Diaz makes me think at some point Garcia will get to him again and then it's game over.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm

The Khan under Roach I think would be 50/50 in a rematch with Garcia but the Khan that fought Diaz there would probably have been knocked out several times over.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Mayweather should retire If he beats Guerrero..............

Nothing to prove...........Garcia is average..........

Just call it and leave on top.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Unfortunately, as much as I agree with rest of what you say, and that Garcia is limited and Khan a vastly superior boxer, seeing Amir dropped again over the weekend my a nothing special Diaz makes me think at some point Garcia will get to him again and then it's game over.

He will be more defensively savvy I reckon. He should and will win a rematch. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I agree he'll start off with a better defence... but and it's a big but.... his problem is with his survival instinct..........

Everything goes out the window when he's hurt.........

Khan is the better boxer but the longer it goes the likelihood of a Garcia stoppage.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather should retire If he beats Guerrero..............

Agree. Think it's harsh to knock the career of someone who won their first title at Super-feather for not fighting a full blown light-middle. It is possible to be brilliant and not Hank Armstrong!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree he'll start off with a better defence... but and it's a big but.... his problem is with his survival instinct..........

Everything goes out the window when he's hurt.........

Khan is the better boxer but the longer it goes the likelihood of a Garcia stoppage.

I actually thought that was the one positive from the Diaz fight, was a lot less precocious and eager to engage when heavily tagged IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Danny Garcia is making noise like he is going to move to 147 soon. Hopefully, he won't use this as an excuse to duck Matthysse, should he flatten Peterson, but if he doesn't, is this a sign of Goldenboy building and undefeated fighter of PR decent for a May 5th 2014 fight with Floyd. Now, we know a style like Garcia's is a meal for May. Too open, and swings wide punches that open him up too much. But he is very entertaining in the ring, and the pre-fight banter between Angel Garcia and Mayweather's dad would be apocolyptic.

The press conferences alone could warrant PPV! Wouldn't be suprised if a riot broke out boxing

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:Danny Garcia is making noise like he is going to move to 147 soon. Hopefully, he won't use this as an excuse to duck Matthysse, should he flatten Peterson, but if he doesn't, is this a sign of Goldenboy building and undefeated fighter of PR decent for a May 5th 2014 fight with Floyd. Now, we know a style like Garcia's is a meal for May. Too open, and swings wide punches that open him up too much. But he is very entertaining in the ring, and the pre-fight banter between Angel Garcia and Mayweather's dad would be apocolyptic.

The press conferences alone could warrant PPV! Wouldn't be suprised if a riot broke out boxing

You just know Angel would drop the N-bomb at some point and all hell would break lose!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Danny Garcia vs Mayweather is a great fight, a great spectacle and another undefeated on Mayweather's record. It be a great fight IMO and is VERY doable.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:42 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Agree. Think it's harsh to knock the career of someone who won their first title at Super-feather for not fighting a full blown light-middle. It is possible to be brilliant and not Hank Armstrong!

I thought this as well TH. Canelo is a big light middleweight and could well move up in weight soon, not sure you can hold Floyd not facing him against him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
I know where your coming from, but to be honest Garcia has not proven to have great stamina, because he did not blow ZJ away when he wanted too it was him who was hanging on more..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Mayweathers would be a small light middleweight no doubt, but hes competed there already and if he avoids Alvarez it just makes him like hes picking and choosing. If it was an isolated incident I might feel like giving him a pass but when you add it to missing out on Cotto and Pacquaio at 147 plus fighting only once a year then it starts to look bad and really hurt his legacy for want of a better word.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:19 pm

I personally think you can hold it against Floyd. He's a champion at 154 and is unwilling to face the biggest challenge. For a man who says he fights for the fans this is disappointing.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Has he said he won't fight Saul?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Read earlier that Canelo rehydrated to 172lbs for the Trout fight, thats a massive size difference and one I dont think an aging Floyd would overcome easily.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 pm

No, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't want it, much like the Manny fight.

He can be a joy to watch but has picked his fights very carefully. When was the last time he was in a 50/50 fight?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 pm

How is it pretty obvious?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Neither Floyd nor Manny where willing to give ground to make that fight happen LJ. Floyd asked for Olympic style testing, I believe he's asked for this in every fight since also, but Manny wouldn't take a blood test for what would have been easily his biggest pay day.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Certainly very possible. A decent win for Garcia at 147 and he would be tick all the boxes for one of those Mexican festivals this time next year. Would not have much of a problem with it if Mayweather targets Alvarez beforehand but I think if Mayweather fails to meet Alvarez before he retires (or even over the next 12 months) its not going to look good for him.

Garcia's Puerto Rican.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

azania wrote:How is it pretty obvious?

Because Mayweather will only fight someone bigger than him if they are devoid of talent.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 pm

They are both to blame Hampo...

Neither really wanted the fight and were happy picking up millions fighting vastly inferior fighters.

Truly a once in a generation fight we have been robbed of and I will never pay to watch either of them again.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Was ODH bigger than him? Hardly devoid of talent plus a lot of the fighters he fought on the way up through the weights where probably bigger than him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
azania wrote:How is it pretty obvious?

Because Mayweather will only fight someone bigger than him if they are devoid of talent.

Like Oscar? Like most of his opponents have been as he went through the weights. Ok sure. What ever floats your boat.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Devoid of talent is harsh I agree...

Oscar was bigger than him but was past his best and didn't have the tank to sustain the pressure.

Saul can box and punch. And whilst being far from unbeatable he represents a bigger challenge than anything Floyd has faced before. I don't think he'll take it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Mayweather had no interest in Martinez at 154, so I doubt he'll have any in canelo, especially seeing as canelo is genuine box office in his own right. Mayweather is too greedy to share ppv money. But what annoys me most is he'll be happy enough to tease that he's interested. Canelo should try make the mayweather fight in September and when it inevitably falls through, set his sights on Martinez. Canelo missed weigh in against trout, time to move up fatty.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Why should he annoy you...why not be happy to have seen such a once in a lifetime achiever and special talent..

because a guy 15 years at the top is something you won't get again.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 pm

hampo171 wrote:Neither Floyd nor Manny where willing to give ground to make that fight happen LJ. Floyd asked for Olympic style testing, I believe he's asked for this in every fight since also, but Manny wouldn't take a blood test for what would have been easily his biggest pay day.

Because Manny was on the juice most probably.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Neither Floyd nor Manny where willing to give ground to make that fight happen LJ. Floyd asked for Olympic style testing, I believe he's asked for this in every fight since also, but Manny wouldn't take a blood test for what would have been easily his biggest pay day.

Because Manny was on the juice most probably.

Robinsons or Ribena?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why should he annoy you...why not be happy to have seen such a once in a lifetime achiever and special talent..

because a guy 15 years at the top is something you won't get again.
I dunno about that, fury is pretty young.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Laugh Nice one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:When was the last time he was in a 50/50 fight?

Not his fault he's just that much better than everyone.

Even if he'd fought Cotto at 147 it still wouldn't have been 50/50. Manny is the only fight that would've been that close since he left SFW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 am

Think he's locked into a 6-fight deal with Showtime. Martinez looked vulnerable against Murray, perhaps he'll go after him? He needs someone more marketable for his next PPV.

I imagine the following (in order of likelihood) will be in the frame after Guerrero (if he beats him):

Alexander
Garcia
Bradley
Khan
Peterson
Alvarez

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

Bradley is a TopRank fighter

Maidana if he beats lopez cod be in contention

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am

Duran is widely acknowledged as the greatest lightweight ever. What did he do? Move up to face SRL, Hearns, Hagler etc...

Floyd would never do that because he is so precious about his zero. Someone who genuinely wanted to challenge the best would.

I don't hold it against him, I'd do the same if I was in his position.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

a lot of excuse making for mayweather, if he's fighting at light middle he should fight the best there simple

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:58 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Duran is widely acknowledged as the greatest lightweight ever. What did he do? Move up to face SRL, Hearns, Hagler etc...

Floyd would never do that because he is so precious about his zero. Someone who genuinely wanted to challenge the best would.

I don't hold it against him, I'd do the same if I was in his position.

Moved up from 130-154.......... Rolling Eyes

Did Hagler move up.......... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am

He is not fighting at light middle. He has fought twice there.

Why didn't Pacquiao fight someone of note at light middles then?

He fought margarito........floyd fought Oscar.......

He campaigns mainly at welter.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

The 7 day weights were on Twitter earlier, Floyd was at 148.5 and Guerrero at 153.

A week before a fighter and Floyd's at 148, yes I know he can get around the 150+ mark when needed for a LMW fight, but I think he's still just a biggish WW not a true LMW campaigning at that level.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:The 7 day weights were on Twitter earlier, Floyd was at 148.5 and Guerrero at 153.

A week before a fighter and Floyd's at 148, yes I know he can get around the 150+ mark when needed for a LMW fight, but I think he's still just a biggish WW not a true LMW campaigning at that level.

Floyd is a tiny WW most LWW would out weigh him fight night

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next