The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

+16
BoxingFan88
tunes666
mobilemaster8
Makaveli
milkyboy
seanmichaels
hampo17
eddyfightfan
manos de piedra
azania
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? - Page 2 Empty Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Afternoon Fellas,

I went back in the youtube time machine last night and watched a bit of Danny Garcia and couldn't help but think he doesn't get a fair shake on forums, YouTube etc.

When the fight was made against Khan, a lot of people (including myself) seen it as a cherry picked fight against one of the weakest title holders.........How wrong we were!

Because hes not flash, lightning quick, etc I feel this leads people to believe he is a soft touch.

Not me anymore though, he seems to have found his groove at world level and that left hand is one of the most vicious in the sport. Completely wiping out Khan, Morales etc.

He may not be the most exciting to watch, but he always gets the job done (recently in style).

I think 140lbers can view him as weak at their own peril. He is as solid as they come and I think apart from maybe Mattysse (50/50 fight in my eyes) Garcia beats every other fighter in the division.

Thoughts guys?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

... Pretty much how I see it manos. A Division with a lot of decent operators but nothing outstanding. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Matthysse just one of the bunch.. May prove to be the pick of them but nothing I've seen to date suggests he stands out from the crowd.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Is Danny Garcia massively under rated??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Danny Garcia massively under rated???

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

the closeness of the fights (with zab and alexander) isn't the point, mattyesse has improved loads since then, and will have learned not to let fights get close, and how to pace himself properly. i'd back him in a rematch against either man now.

ps: i had him winning both fights

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

I watched him against Soto and I honestly wasn’t massively impressed. He was getting caught a lot by Soto and was being outboxed until he overpowered him. He looked better against Olusagun who is good but maybe not quite top material. All in all from what Ive seen from Matthysse I just see a fighter who is in the mix with a group of fighters. Not a guy that is far better than everyone else. He might well beat Garcia who I would like to see more of but Im not really seeing Matthysse as quite the top class fighter some others are. I just think everything on his record and everything Ive seen so far points to a guy who is in the mix rather than standing out from the crowd in his division. But the same is true for a whole number of fighters. I don’t really see a dominant fighter emerging from the group. They are well matched and similar in level.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:39 am

eddyfightfan wrote:the closeness of the fights (with zab and alexander) isn't the point, mattyesse has improved loads since then, and will have learned not to let fights get close, and how to pace himself properly. i'd back him in a rematch against either man now.

Has he improved? Will he have learned? Just assumptions eddy. Soto was a fine fighter but a pumped up feather past his sell by. And olusegun, a good win but ajose's first fight at a higher level. Not sure they're telling us anything new really. He's tough, hits like a mule, he's no sugar ray.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:40 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:To be fair AZ he has been fighting "live" fighters.

Ajose Olusegun, Humberto Soto, Devon Alexander, Zab Judah, Mike Dallas Jr and soon to face Lamont Peterson.

All live and decent operators who he has handled easily!

Fair? Me? Laugh

But seriously he lost to Zab legitimately. Had it gone to Lucas it would have been a robbery. He was robbed in the Alexander fight. Dallas is not that good. Pretty average to be honest. Soto was old and fat SFW who caught him often. If Garcia catches him that often then its good night Vienna. Good fight coming up with LP. I expect LP to win by a distance.

Lucas is the 4th best LWW today behind Garcia, LP and Khan*.

*Provided he doesn't catch Khan on the temple.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

I think he is under rated good all round fighter who possesses the gift of superb timing, he is still young and getting better all the time. Give him another year and he could well be the dominant man in the division, sadly for him he is the kind of fighter some will never rate because he efficient rather than spectacular.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:33 pm

You're overselling Matthyse massively like many seem to do, regardless of who you think won his fights with Alexander and Judah were both very close, I had 1-1 beating Alexander but losing to Judah. Soto was and is a fine fighter but it wasn't talent that shone through that night but it was plain and simply size, he lost 3/4 of the 5 rounds before his power and toughness shone through.

I can't say i've seen massive improvements since his fights against the two americans really, he's just fought guys who make him look good, if Olesugen and Soto had a big punch then the fights become very different propositions.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

milkyboy wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:the closeness of the fights (with zab and alexander) isn't the point, mattyesse has improved loads since then, and will have learned not to let fights get close, and how to pace himself properly. i'd back him in a rematch against either man now.

Has he improved? Will he have learned? Just assumptions eddy. Soto was a fine fighter but a pumped up feather past his sell by. And olusegun, a good win but ajose's first fight at a higher level. Not sure they're telling us anything new really. He's tough, hits like a mule, he's no sugar ray.

he has by my eyes, in the dallas jr fight he was the much slower than his opponent, both reasons why judah and alexander managed to win rounds, but whereas before he just kept piling forwards reguardless, this time he adjusted and timed his punches. you can say dallas was never all that but it still impressed me.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Every opponent of Khan's knew his flaws.

Paulie, Maidana, Kotelnik, Judah, Peterson...

All knew he is vunerable, but only Garcia managed to stop him.

The others mentioned, all world class and not one of them even scored a knockdown.

Khans Flaws are quite silly though, and is usually him being naive and over confident.

In most of those fights Khan had allot to prove.. Paulie was his first big US introduction.. Maidana was touted as a serious threat in the division which many felt would expose Khan, Kotlnik was his first title fight..

Peterson was controversial but he was also too over confident, and I will give him a great performance against Judah..

He was also over confident against Garcia who most thought was just a routine fight to nick him back a title..

From what I have seen of Garcia so far while he deserves credit for executing a good fight plan against Khan my money would be on a more cautious Khan winning a UD in a rematch.

Unless we see more in the Garcia locker of course.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:49 pm

tunes666 wrote:

The others mentioned, all world class and not one of them even scored a knockdown.

Khans Flaws are quite silly though, and is usually him being naive and over confident.

In most of those fights Khan had allot to prove.. Paulie was his first big US introduction.. Maidana was touted as a serious threat in the division which many felt would expose Khan, Kotlnik was his first title fight..

Peterson was controversial but he was also too over confident, and I will give him a great performance against Judah..

He was also over confident against Garcia who most thought was just a routine fight to nick him back a title..

From what I have seen of Garcia so far while he deserves credit for executing a good fight plan against Khan my money would be on a more cautious Khan winning a UD in a rematch.

Totally agree on Khan, he is well capable of beating everyone in the 140lb division, just as he is capable to losing to the main guys there.

Matthysse is honestly so overrated now by some it seems a joke, I think if Lamont loses he will have shown the way to beat him and that he is not really "all that", that's if he doesn't beat him himself that is.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

Totally agree on Khan, he is well capable of beating everyone in the 140lb division, just as he is capable to losing to the main guys there.

Matthysse is honestly so overrated now by some it seems a joke, I think if Lamont loses he will have shown the way to beat him and that he is not really "all that", that's if he doesn't beat him himself that is.

Guess we shall have to wait and see, I think Matthysse will clean up 140.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 06 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

Garcia is a limited boxer who was fortunate to pick the WBC strap from a spent Erik Morales. El Terrible was picking Garcia apart up until round 10, then the younger man picked him off.

Garcia landed a wild left hook on Khan, watch the fight again, Garcia wasn't even looking when he threw the punch. Khan was ripping him apart for the first 8 mins.

Rematch with Morales was a non event. Morales was in no condition to be in the ring.

Garcia's had the luck to get a couple of wins over a legend on his record.

Garcia will lose to Peterson, as both will beat Zab and Matthysse respectively.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2