The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Cuthbert chose the Winners!

+18
lostinwales
Knowsit17
Jimpy
Biltong
Breadvan
munkian
fa0019
rainbow-warrior
RuggerBoy
Cyril
RubyGuby
dragonbreath
LordDowlais
yappysnap
flyhalffactory
thebluesmancometh
SecretFly
mikey_philVIII
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

When Cuthbert chose the Winners! Empty When Cuthbert chose the Winners!

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:56 pm

I had always wondered what links Alex cuthbert had to Wales, I found that it was through his Welsh mother from the following article. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/03/14/england-was-never-for-me-insists-wales-wing-alex-cuthbert-91466-32982808/

He is one of a few born outside of Wales but each of them show this very same passion and determination. I don't see why some people need to question it and in particular the media having to refer to players as "the South African born" or "kiwi born."

Alex is quoted as saying:
“Mum always told me that I’m Welsh and from a rugby perspective I’ve always been in the Wales environment,” he said.

“I’ve come through the sevens set-up here and I am very happy and privileged to play for Wales.

“England never crossed my mind."

And the rest they say, is history!

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

When Cuthbert chose the Winners! Empty Re: When Cuthbert chose the Winners!

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:12 pm

He sounds like a bit of an Ireland character... as in the player Stephen Ireland who had a bit of granny confusion one day when he said he couldn't attend an International game because his granny died. He was told she was still alive. He said oh then the other one died. He was told, nope, she's still alive too...!

I thought Cuthbert's lineage was well known by now. But for a fact, some seem to think his Grandmother was the one from Wrexham?

Was it his mother, his Grandmother or both?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

picard

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:48 pm

When you take your head out of your hand..which is it bluesman? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:54 pm

That head in hand wasn't meant for you mate.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:59 pm

SecretFly wrote:When you take your head out of your hand..which is it bluesman? Wink

Mother, according to the article(?). As for him, well he can act a bit silly when somebody won't agree with him, hence another pointless post. I'm trying to point out that Cuthbert is quite Welsh. Anyone who has watched him pull on the jersey can not doubt that. This also goes for other players across multiple national teams.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

So OP what are you trying to say that out of "backs" who play the "Welsh Way"

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

Only two out of the five are actually Welsh, and the try scorers in the 6Ns for Wales were actually English North Cuthbert and Davies............... Ahhh I see what you are getting at now thanks for pointing that out. No wonder Rowntree & Lancaster cried foul, and there I was thinking they were complaining about the dodgy scrums
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Poor, but still.... Laugh

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:21 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:So OP what are you trying to say that out of "backs" who play the "Welsh Way"

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

Only two out of the five are actually Welsh, and the try scorers in the 6Ns for Wales were actually English North Cuthbert and Davies............... Ahhh I see what you are getting at now thanks for pointing that out. No wonder Rowntree & Lancaster cried foul, and there I was thinking they were complaining about the dodgy scrums

What has happened to you FHF? When I started posting here a few years back you were ok? Now you're bottom of the pile with the rest of the pond life WUMs. What a fall from (relative) grace. Sad to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:28 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:So OP what are you trying to say that out of "backs" who play the "Welsh Way"

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

Fly

Why lower yourself to this Holly Wilaboobie's level?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

Griff wrote:

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

What has happened to you FHF? When I started posting here a few years back you were ok? Now you're bottom of the pile with the rest of the pond life WUMs. What a fall from (relative) grace. Sad to see.

Sorry if you think that was a wum it wasn't intended and I do believe the OP laughed, but Griff I will check out my future comments (and of course yours) I believe I respond with facts in the main
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

Fly

Why lower yourself to this Holly Wilaboobie's level?

Bluesman,
You are right mate, but it wasn't intended to wum (but perhaps it came out that way) just replied with facts as a humorous riposte.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:37 pm

Your post is the epitome of a WUM FlyHalf - I can't see any outcome other than winding welsh posters up by trying to point out that some of their players are actually English. We know that, we knew it before they played for Wales and we still know it now. Why the need to constantly point it out? It's not like we 'poached' them. We didn't pay them to move to Wales as project players. These are players born in England but grew up in Wales, played all their rugby here, etc. You are vocal on other threads of Welsh WUMs and how it's bad for the site, but fighting fire with fire is not the way to deal with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

Griff wrote:Your post is the epitome of a WUM FlyHalf - I can't see any outcome other than winding welsh posters up by trying to point out that some of their players are actually English. We know that, we knew it before they played for Wales and we still know it now. Why the need to constantly point it out? It's not like we 'poached' them. We didn't pay them to move to Wales as project players. These are players born in England but grew up in Wales, played all their rugby here, etc. You are vocal on other threads of Welsh WUMs and how it's bad for the site, but fighting fire with fire is not the way to deal with it.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:45 pm

Griff wrote:Your post is the epitome of a WUM FlyHalf - I can't see any outcome other than winding welsh posters up by trying to point out that some of their players are actually English. We know that, we knew it before they played for Wales and we still know it now. Why the need to constantly point it out? It's not like we 'poached' them. We didn't pay them to move to Wales as project players. These are players born in England but grew up in Wales, played all their rugby here, etc. You are vocal on other threads of Welsh WUMs and how it's bad for the site, but fighting fire with fire is not the way to deal with it.

I actually didn't realise Cuthbert was English until the OP brought it up, and certainly didn't realise how long he had been in England for so long, and Davies and North are both Welsh speakers so in my mind you can justify those two as been more welsh than most people in Wales if you know what I mean. On this instance I will apologise for the message reply and how it came across (as a WUM) to the forum.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:48 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

I actually didn't realise Cuthbert was English until the OP brought it up, and certainly didn't realise how long he had been in England for so long, and Davies and North are both Welsh speakers so in my mind you can justify those two as been more welsh than most people in Wales if you know what I mean. On this instance I will apologise for the message reply and how it came across (as a WUM) to the forum.

Makes you a bigger person than the OP thumbsup

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:54 pm

While flyhalffactory's post was fairly comical it's exactly the stupid, regurgitated wum I was referring to. As for you bluesmun you need to take your problems elsewhere.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:55 pm

Run

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:
SecretFly wrote:When you take your head out of your hand..which is it bluesman? Wink

Mother, according to the article(?). As for him, well he can act a bit silly when somebody won't agree with him, hence another pointless post. I'm trying to point out that Cuthbert is quite Welsh. Anyone who has watched him pull on the jersey can not doubt that. This also goes for other players across multiple national teams.

He put his jersey on backwards then?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:

He put his jersey on backwards then?

Laugh clap

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:02 pm

The right way of course, allowing him to put his hand on his badge with such passion as he touches down for a try. He tries scored compared to caps awarded is pretty impressive. I believe you witnessed the strike rate first hand when he scored another two versus England?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

Ok, I think we can all give flyhalf the benefit of the doubt here, it is not as if he is a serial wummer on here, but he could have chosen better examples than the one's he has chosen here, those three have at least got some "Welshness" to back up their claims to be "Welsh", not like the Shane Howarth's, Hal Luscome's and the Bret Sinkinsons of this world. The three players flyhalf has chosen actually came through the age grades and plied there trade here in Wales, John Davies and George North might not have been born here but they lived here before they could walk or talk, and at least Cuthbert's mother had the sense to always tell him he was Welsh, weather he liked it or not Laugh Of all the home nations I think we are the best behaved as of late when it comes to using players we have produced ourselves and not capped on "residency". More seriously though, in the border towns and cities, Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester, Bristol, Bath and even up by Chester there have always been a history of strong Welsh connections, and during the amature days there was always a good rivalry between the rugby clubs of the said towns and the Welsh clubs, I bet there are thousands of Welsh people who will actually claim to be Welsh living across Offa's Dyke in the towns and cities of England and players like Cuthbert will not be the first to represent Wales. We are slowly invading our big brothers without them knowing. laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:11 pm

I tried to read all that LD but the lack of paragraphs just killed me.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

yappysnap wrote:I tried to read all that LD but the lack of paragraphs just killed me.

What's the problem ? There's only one. How simple do you want it ? Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:The right way of course, allowing him to put his hand on his badge with such passion as he touches down for a try. He tries scored compared to caps awarded is pretty impressive. I believe you witnessed the strike rate first hand when he scored another two versus England?

They were very good tries, but would have looked better if his jersey was the right way around.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

Good post LD. Hope your manner rubs off on some of the unusual characters in here.

Yappy, ask Mike Brown. All he remembers is clutching at a number (14), failing and then falling over! Very Happy

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:47 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:Good post LD. Hope your manner rubs off on some of the unusual characters in here.

Yappy, ask Mike Brown. All he remembers is clutching at a number (14), failing and then falling over! Very Happy

Cheers Mikey. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:29 am

15 Halfpenny Wales
14 Cuthbert rose
13 Davies rose
12 Roberts Wales
11 North rose

Both JD and George are fluent Welsh speakers. How many real Englishman speak Welsh. You are what you are raised to be. Their situation is completely different to say a Ricky Fluety and you know it, Naughty boy warning

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

I think Wales are being very fair to their struggling neighbours at present, let's face it JD, North and Cuthbert are welsh and the arguments on the other hand are jovial and taken in good spirits. When you compare those legitimate welsh players alongside the fact that we nurtured and developed Ben Morgan for them in addition to bringing on and developing both Vunipolas, who still have welsh accents by the way; we can be seen to be doing our best to try to even the current international rugby divide. We are looking to develop more for you but you need to be patient thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

dragonbreath wrote:
Both JD and George are fluent Welsh speakers. How many real Englishman speak Welsh. You are what you are raised to be. Their situation is completely different to say a Ricky Fluety and you know it, Naughty boy warning
John Redwood?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:
John Redwood?

"Redwood's most famous gaffe was his attempt in 1993 to mime to the Welsh national anthem at the Welsh Conservative Party conference when he clearly did not know the words. Redwood of course subsequently learned the anthem but, in August 2007, when an unconnected news story on Redwood was illustrated with the same clip, Tory activists complained and the BBC apologised to him. Redwood's tenure as Secretary of State for Wales was summarised humorously by Adam Price, an MP for Plaid Cymru, as "The most bizarre political appointment since Caligula made his horse a Senator."

I think not. Try again

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

Laugh Most Welsh people mime and don't know the words either.

I used to live in Wales and knew more Welsh than most of the natives.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:23 am

Cyril - you don't even know you're digging a hole for yourself and perhaps that is the saddest thing here - it was only a game, albeit a bit of a thumping - get over it - Like I said we hung in there and managed to live with you Wales

You knowing more welsh than most of the natives Yahoo

See you at 3-30 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

Ruby, I thought your description of SCW and his pseudo-science was a bit pot-kettle-black Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Ruby, I thought your description of SCW and his pseudo-science was a bit pot-kettle-black Laugh

Nice to see you are still reading my insightful posts thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

RubyGuby wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Ruby, I thought your description of SCW and his pseudo-science was a bit pot-kettle-black Laugh

Nice to see you are still reading my insightful posts thumbsup
Only when I need to laugh at your spelling or misunderstanding the meaning of words thumbsup

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

Thers nothin wron with my spellin mate, you just don't know the diffrence between spelling and a typo Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:34 am

RubyGuby wrote:Thers nothin wron with my spellin mate, you just don't know the diffrence between spelling and a typo Yahoo thumbsup
Heh, you're one of the loose/lose, too/to, berth/birth, they're/their/there brigade. It must be because English is your second language. You could always try night school thumbsup

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:37 am

I'd try night school but I'm afraid of the dark thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:48 am

Oh God, my ageing Welsh mother has just told me she probably became pregnant on a weekend trip with my father to Kingston-upon-Thames. Bloody 'ell, does that mean I'm English? I bloody hope not!

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

Theres only 1 thing worse than a poor speller, and thats the guy who loses every argument and has to resort to pointing it out Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:58 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Laugh Most Welsh people mime and don't know the words either.

But everyone knows the english anthem...................... but what is it???? Whistle
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:01 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Theres only 1 thing worse than a poor speller, and thats the guy who loses every argument and has to resort to pointing it out Laugh
What argument? thumbsup

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Laugh Most Welsh people mime and don't know the words either.

But everyone knows the english anthem...................... but what is it???? Whistle
It's the one they play when we let you guys join us at the Olympics thumbsup

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:04 am

Does anyone think now he's chosen Wales that he would say... "of course, England was the only option but when that never happened I took a punt with Wales".

Had he gone through the youth setup with England I can't imagine he would have turned his back on them.... but from what I recall hearing he got his chance in Wales and then it was a natural process.

He's just playing up to his fans.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:07 am

[quote="Cyril on 606v2"]
rainbow-warrior wrote:

rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:09 am

fa0019 wrote:Does anyone think now he's chosen Wales that he would say... "of course, England was the only option but when that never happened I took a punt with Wales".

Had he gone through the youth setup with England I can't imagine he would have turned his back on them.... but from what I recall hearing he got his chance in Wales and then it was a natural process.

He's just playing up to his fans.

Not quite the way he saw it when taking up the contract with the blues, he was always England football mad, but never wanted to be associated with English rugby.

Infact the reason he took the Blues contract was because of the chance to play rugby in Wales, he did have options I heard.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:10 am

"But everyone knows the english anthem...................... but what is it???? "

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:15 am

Its your lineage more important to where you physically escape your ovarian prison ?

EG ROG's parents are Irish but he was physically born in America wasn't he ?

If you have an English Mum and Welsh Dad but are born in Guetamala are you not still half Welsh half English ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

RubyGuby wrote:"But everyone knows the english anthem...................... but what is it???? "

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life thumbsup
thumbsup
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next