The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

+49
LastDamnation
Conehead
themightyone
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
GSC
CJB
Plunky
golfermartin
Seve_The_Great
Redrage
djlovesyou
monty junior
Dave.
Sand
MontysMerkin
Diggers
Lairdy
Good Golly I'm Olly
John Cregan
ALPanorak
AlciG
Hibbz
dynamark
SmithersJones
bluestonevedder
EmmDee57
GunsGerms
McLaren
super_realist
mystiroakey
GPB
Shotrock
princedracula
Bob_the_Job
Skydriver
twoeightnine
incontinentia
beninho
gaelgowfer
Sheldo25
WillyGilly
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JPX
sirbenson
pedro
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
53 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Martin Laird of course; you didn't think I was talking about the guy who's on the cover of every golf magazine and even some others did you? Or even that young Northern Irishman we've heard so much about?

No, Martin Laird's fantastic final round last Sunday in San Antonio not only stuck two fingers through the Ballwasher who doubted his resolve after a dismal nine-month spell. But also earned a ticket to Augusta National and finds himself in the "long shot, stranger things have happened, but not many" category for The Masters. More on that later.

2).The TPC San Antonio, ("Greg Norman designs golf courses to test professional golfers, not to please professional golfers," said Padraig Harrington), certainly looked much easier on the eye than in years past and it seemed that most pros who turned up enjoyed their week; some will hopefully even be back.
But play was dreadfully slow and one young American is just another guilty party who I hadn't spotted before. Daniel Summerhays, good lord, how long does it take you to hit the golf ball? Summerhays seemed to turn to Winterhays during some of his pre-shot routines.

3).And, while our thoughts turn to Magnolia Drive, our annual word in tribute to the Welshman from Bangor, Errie Ball, who played in the first Masters and is still alive today, hopefully to tell the tale, at 102.

4).Billy Payne has two new members this year, one who's just gone up one rung, presumably, on the list of the World's most evil women, the other who got her invite the old-fashioned way, thru' connections. (Have a personal interest in Darla Moore's richly endowed University of South Carolina's Moore School Of Business, so pleased to see her being honoured with a membership.)

5).With McIlroy and Woods striking form, I'd say this Masters, more than most, is almost certain to go to a favourite if, not necessarily, THE favourite. So let's look at some long shots and the owgr Top 25 for a form guide, with all the usual biases of course:

"Long shots, stranger things have happened, but not many":

#269: Angel Cabrera: You may think there's more chance of him attending Thatcher's funeral but, hey, this man hasn't forgotten how to play the game, he's physically fitter, has shown glimpses of form, and knows how to win - and how many can say that?

#56: Well, Martin Laird certainly can! 20th first time around Augusta, 50-something last year, but if he can putt like last week who knows? He hits the ball perfectly for the course, but it will be all about course management and his short game for Martin. The Laird of San Antonio with 22 Sunday putts, or the Laird of Florida when he took eight 3-putts each at Bay Hill and Tampa?

#41: Henrik Stenson: Eccentric as ever but plenty long enough and can putt well. On my e.w. list at 75/1.

#38: Scott Piercy: Thinks he's the best golfer the world has ever seen. Still seething at the perceived injustice of not being interviewed on TV after his demolition of Luke Donald at the MatchPlay. The favourite, in his eyes anyway, and don't you dare discount his chances!

6).21 - 25:
#25: Furyk: Planning to attack Augusta with two drivers but hasn't done better than 4th here and not likely to this week.

#24: Els: Terrible year so far, seems to have lost confidence just when he needs it most.

#23: Watney: Jekyll and Hyde, Would love to see him take the proverbial next step but don't see it this week.

#22: Hanson: 3rd last year but in much better form coming in than this year's version. Wouldn't count him out completely, top ten material.

#21: Mahan: A couple of Masters' top tens under his belt, but something's been missing this past year and I can't see him finding it at Augusta.

7).16 - 20:
#20: Simpson: His US Open win apart, hasn't really had that great a last 18 months. Can't see it improving here.

#19: Dustin Johnson: Augusta National is made for Dustin - no par 5's here for him, but nothing inside the Top 30 here yet, and his dodgy short game will frustrate him again this week.

#18: Dufner: Good start a year ago but faded. If his Dufnering pic's are anything to go by he's still asleep.

#17: McDowell: Top 15 material, doesn't fancy some of the tee shots here and, until he does, can't see him contending.

#16: Garcia: This place frustrates the sh1t out of him. Shame, might get close, but not close enough.

8).11 - 15:
#15: Schwartzel: 2011 winner and no reason to think he can't win another one. Except none of the five South African Major (and Players) winners these past eight years have won since on the PGA Tour. Top three candidate.

#14: Bubba Watson: It's all about his emotions - I fancy a left-hander but perhaps not this one.

#13: Westwood: Nope, not this year, Lee, not until your short game and your long game are on the same page. But, if he can somehow be -10 on the par fives, he'll be right there. Nah.

#12: Poulter: Would love to see Poults win a Biggie but reckon Augusta National is too long for him, too much pressure on his mid and long irons. Top 15 though.

#11: Bradley: Lots of top tens this year and may score another one. Plenty long enough but can't see that short game winning a Green Jacket.

9).6 - 10:
#10: Kuchar: 3rd last year, plods along with that inane-looking, sh1t-eating grin of his and, hey presto, he's right there. Top 5 perhaps, but Green Jacket? Perhaps not, e.w. value though at 33/1 or 40's.

#9: Mickelson: My choice last year and should've, would've and certainly could've . . . . Those triple bogeys did him in. My idea of the man to beat, not scared to win and probably doesn't want it so manically much as Number One.

#8: Stricker: Says he's "still trying to figure out Augusta". I bracket him with Poults, his long game puts too much pressure on his world-class short game; top 20 probable but can't see him in the shake-up.

#7: Scott: No form to speak of this season; plays a bizarre schedule and who knows if he's up for this? Not worth the risk.

#6: Oosthuizen: Difficult for me to separate the two South African Kings: He was devastated by last year's play-off defeat, but can he bounce back? Sh1t or bust I'd think - at his best a sure-fire contender.

10).1 - 5:
#5: Snedeker: Has been out injured for most of the past two months, no cuts made since his early season super form. Certainly has the game, but feel he's still slightly under-cooked for this week. The Sneds of the past year a certain Major winner - just not this week.

#4: Donald: No form for ages. The 2011 model Luke would be a contender anywhere, but not the short-and-crooked version of years ago which has made an unwelcome return - might get away with it at Hilton Head but not 150 miles up the road at Augusta.

#3: Rose: Which Justin will we see? The winner at such top courses as Aronomink and Muirfield Village, or the strutter who flatters only to deceive, but then burns up the final nine holes for a back-door podium finish? Until he can prove that he won't wilt when the heat turns up, I'd have him down as a likely top tenner, not a winner.

#2: And then there's Rory. If his confidence right now was as high as Scott Piercy's I'd ink him in to his first Green Jacket, but his driver left him a bit last Sunday and he won't be "back" until he's back. Not many would be surprised to see him win; me neither, but perhaps not this year.

#1: Tiger: The only person who can beat Tiger is Tiger, and his ambition and anxiety to earn his next Major. Until he does it, I'd bet against him and gamble that Tiger will beat Tiger. As we saw at Bay Hill, though, the old intimidation factor is back and, if he putts like he did in Orlando and hits 60% of the fairways, he'll win this. For me, I'd bet the field against him.

Can't wait though, although we'll have to put up with the unctuous, over-reverential tones of CBS - would be nice to think they'll have a commentator under the age of 50, a breath of fresh air so sorely needed, but no chance of that. The weather should have the course in perfect condition, but there's a chance of severe storms Thursday p.m. into Friday, after which the sun will shine.

I fancy Phil to win, but Bones (perhaps the only born-in-Britain winner this year?) has to keep him focussed. Reckon Louis and Charl will be right there and fancy Kuchar as best outsider, Stenson best complete long-shot.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

True, I mean no stats are accuratye but have a look at any of his putting stats. He is 181st this year in putting from 5-10 feet...I mean that should be prime birdie distance. He's 65th in 3 putt avoidance.
Whatever Im looking at relating to Justin and putting aint good.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

Garcia hasn't been in the lead of a major for a while, it will be interesting to see how is putting holds up. Cannot recall how he putted in the Ryder Cup, that would have been the last real high pressure tournament (in the last few years).

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

Its all on his player page on the pga site Mysti, under statistics.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

by the way

2012- GIR percentage

Rose is top!

1 1 Rose, Justin 69 70.34 861 1,224 -0.25

there is deffo something wrong with gained putting stats IMO..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:38 pm

Wish Monty would stop referring to "Europeans" on the Leaderboard.

Why must he do this? This is not the Ryder Cup. This is much, much more important than the Ryder Cup.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

Diggers wrote:Its all on his player page on the pga site Mysti, under statistics.

Ta

I go to the full stats page. and for some reason he isnt on any off them

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

John Cregan wrote:Wish Monty would stop referring to "Europeans" on the Leaderboard.

Why must he do this? This is not the Ryder Cup. This is much, much more important than the Ryder Cup.

Not in Monty's or Poulter's opinion (if he wins a major that opinion will change), but I totally agree.......Majors are what matters to the players.....Monty and Poulter say the Ryder Cup is the biggest and most important tournament.....why, cause they have never won a major..

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

Poulter doesnt believe that sirbenson..

he wants a major more than anything.. He is just in his comfort zone in the ryder cup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

He tweeted this week saying the Masters is the second biggest tournament after the Ryder Cup....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

checked out roses stats for 2013 on his page and lets get real the only stat that matters (non tourny win stats offcourse) is score average... and he is first!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

sirbenson wrote:He tweeted this week saying the Masters is the second biggest tournament after the Ryder Cup....
Why does he feel the urge to tweet that?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

sirbenson wrote:He tweeted this week saying the Masters is the second biggest tournament after the Ryder Cup....

He is a lad though isnt he.. ITS all banter

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:checked out roses stats for 2013 on his page and lets get real the only stat that matters (non tourny win stats offcourse) is score average... and he is first!!

But then when you go to the main stats page(list of all players)

woods tops it!and rose is nowhere to be seen

Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:checked out roses stats for 2013 on his page and lets get real the only stat that matters (non tourny win stats offcourse) is score average... and he is first!!

Of course thats brilliant. I hope he wins, would be great. His putting stats are still mediocore though which is the only point I was making in regards to his game having a weakness.
If he keeps stiffing it then it dont really matter Smile

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

I admit his putting stats dont seem great diggs. I just havent noticed it in play as much as the other players i mentioned..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

He is a lad though isnt he.. ITS all banter

In my opinion, the Ryder Cup is an utterly unimportant golf event (in the overall golfing scheme of things). It's a Brazil v Spain Friendly as opposed to a World Cup Final.

I am much more inclined to agree with Rory McIlroy's original opinion that it was a great exhibition of golf. And lets face it, nearly half the world's top golfers iaren't even eligable to play in it. You can't compare Ernie Els carees vis a vis Ian Poulters career and take the Ryder Cup into account when you are making a comparison.

RC is a GREAT event............is it an important event - No IMO.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

I dont think anyone rates poulter higher than els , and never would. However lets not take his amazing performances out of the equation.

The way he won that match on day 2 was insane..If he had half that ability final day of a major he would have won a couple.

The point being he has showed what a golfer he could be at the ryder cup.. And the way he bigs himself up- he applies presure onto himself in a way that others may to in big events.. It isnt an exhibition to him in his mind..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Poulter needs to play a good round today or he will miss his first Masters cut.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

Unfortunately when Poulter plays strokeplay he isnt taking on a person he is taking on the course and the field...and the course dont care how confident he is and the field bar his playing partners dont have to play with him.
Its a completely different dynamic and style of play. He's a very good matchplayer and just a plain old good strokeplay golfer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:10 pm

Let's go Paddy, 62 today!!!! Ok maybe just make the cut first haha

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:16 pm

poults hasd made 19 on the spin or something!!

come on poults continue the run lad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

Shame that Olesen got injured so close to the Masters, I think he would have done really well if he was injury free.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Olesen will be back sooner than later.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

Looks as though it's his putting letting him down this week, seems to be playing well tee to green. Can see him winning a good few majors in the future...

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

Here comes Gonzo!!!!!

Great interview on ESPN last night, more articulate in a foreign tongue than most British or American . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:49 pm

Gonzo should have been even lower yesterday, he had two gettable putts for eagle yeseterday....imagine how good he could be if he putted averagely.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

We should get some picture soon as to what the cut-line might be.
There's still the "anyone within ten shots of the leader" criteria as well as Top 50 and ties.

Right now that "grandfather's in" the four overs, so long as the lead stays at -6.

Whatever happens, Harrington and Poults need to get going! Mahan and Watney too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Good start from Trevor!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:26 pm

sirbenson wrote:Gonzo should have been even lower yesterday, he had two gettable putts for eagle yeseterday....imagine how good he could be if he putted averagely.

If
If
If
If

Wink q

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

Yeah, too true, If is a word all sporting stars would use!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:We should get some picture soon as to what the cut-line might be.
There's still the "anyone within ten shots of the leader" criteria as well as Top 50 and ties.

Right now that "grandfather's in" the four overs, so long as the lead stays at -6.

Whatever happens, Harrington and Poults need to get going! Mahan and Watney too.

It's usually Top 44 & ties

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm

John Cregan wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:We should get some picture soon as to what the cut-line might be.

It's usually Top 44 & ties

Changed this year, Payne announced it on Wednesday....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

Looks like the Augusta committee have decided they don't want the low scoring to continue!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Here comes Gonzo!!!!!

Great interview on ESPN last night, more articulate in a foreign tongue than most British or American . . . .
British or American don't even speak foreign tongue, so what's the big deal?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:44 pm

Yup, misworded that pedro!
Gonzo a lot more articulate in English than most British and Americans - how's that!

South Africa moving ahead . . . . Macclesfield slipping back.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

Gonzo is a much smarter guy than most of those pros out there...

EAGLE for Langer at the 2nd!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:05 pm

Did langer hit the hole in two???

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

What was the highest ever score in Round One by a winner in the Masters?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

the 2nd is a par 5, not sure how he got there in three... Friday's pin is probably the most gettable there of all 4 days...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:14 pm

The third unusually seems to be playing quite difficult today!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

when I said hole I actually meant green !!

that hole plays pretty long tbh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

Got ya kwini! Agree. Wink

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm

"highest score in Round One by a winner"? 75, by Craig Stadler - but it should arguably have been 80-ish by Curtis Strange . . . . .

PS: Craig Stadler now playing as if he's 75 - hopefully his final trip around here. Woosie too: What nerve to say it's his first competitive round for 6 months - if it is, why should he participate?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:"Woosie too: What nerve to say it's his first competitive round for 6 months - if it is, why should he participate?
Free dinner? cake

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:30 pm

Ooops, Crenshaw with a "Phil" at 4.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Everyone's hosing the third - why is that, I wonder? Just a drive and a pitch but can be a treacherous green. Funky pin-placement?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

Only 2 players under par at the moment.. Tough day

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

Garcia drops out of the lead.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Serigio is ok yeah. and along plenty of non major winners has the game.. But he along with all of them (westy,luke esp) has an archelis heal..

we have seen many many flashes of brilliance in recent years mind. But he has never been able to keep it going for 4 days..(bar 1 tourny on his home course with a weak field).

Rose is the one player out of these pretenders that seems to have it all tbh..

I dont get what you have said here Mystiroakey? Sergio has won 4 tournaments in the last 3 years on 3 different tours?

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

I do remember him winning 2 euro events now you mention it back to back.. Very weak fields.. But as I said I can only remember one tourney where he strung 4 good rounds together.. In the majority of PGA events where he has played some class golf he has also played some shocking stuff in the next round or something..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next