The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

+49
LastDamnation
Conehead
themightyone
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
GSC
CJB
Plunky
golfermartin
Seve_The_Great
Redrage
djlovesyou
monty junior
Dave.
Sand
MontysMerkin
Diggers
Lairdy
Good Golly I'm Olly
John Cregan
ALPanorak
AlciG
Hibbz
dynamark
SmithersJones
bluestonevedder
EmmDee57
GunsGerms
McLaren
super_realist
mystiroakey
GPB
Shotrock
princedracula
Bob_the_Job
Skydriver
twoeightnine
incontinentia
beninho
gaelgowfer
Sheldo25
WillyGilly
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JPX
sirbenson
pedro
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
53 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 9 Apr - 14:34

First topic message reminder :

1).Martin Laird of course; you didn't think I was talking about the guy who's on the cover of every golf magazine and even some others did you? Or even that young Northern Irishman we've heard so much about?

No, Martin Laird's fantastic final round last Sunday in San Antonio not only stuck two fingers through the Ballwasher who doubted his resolve after a dismal nine-month spell. But also earned a ticket to Augusta National and finds himself in the "long shot, stranger things have happened, but not many" category for The Masters. More on that later.

2).The TPC San Antonio, ("Greg Norman designs golf courses to test professional golfers, not to please professional golfers," said Padraig Harrington), certainly looked much easier on the eye than in years past and it seemed that most pros who turned up enjoyed their week; some will hopefully even be back.
But play was dreadfully slow and one young American is just another guilty party who I hadn't spotted before. Daniel Summerhays, good lord, how long does it take you to hit the golf ball? Summerhays seemed to turn to Winterhays during some of his pre-shot routines.

3).And, while our thoughts turn to Magnolia Drive, our annual word in tribute to the Welshman from Bangor, Errie Ball, who played in the first Masters and is still alive today, hopefully to tell the tale, at 102.

4).Billy Payne has two new members this year, one who's just gone up one rung, presumably, on the list of the World's most evil women, the other who got her invite the old-fashioned way, thru' connections. (Have a personal interest in Darla Moore's richly endowed University of South Carolina's Moore School Of Business, so pleased to see her being honoured with a membership.)

5).With McIlroy and Woods striking form, I'd say this Masters, more than most, is almost certain to go to a favourite if, not necessarily, THE favourite. So let's look at some long shots and the owgr Top 25 for a form guide, with all the usual biases of course:

"Long shots, stranger things have happened, but not many":

#269: Angel Cabrera: You may think there's more chance of him attending Thatcher's funeral but, hey, this man hasn't forgotten how to play the game, he's physically fitter, has shown glimpses of form, and knows how to win - and how many can say that?

#56: Well, Martin Laird certainly can! 20th first time around Augusta, 50-something last year, but if he can putt like last week who knows? He hits the ball perfectly for the course, but it will be all about course management and his short game for Martin. The Laird of San Antonio with 22 Sunday putts, or the Laird of Florida when he took eight 3-putts each at Bay Hill and Tampa?

#41: Henrik Stenson: Eccentric as ever but plenty long enough and can putt well. On my e.w. list at 75/1.

#38: Scott Piercy: Thinks he's the best golfer the world has ever seen. Still seething at the perceived injustice of not being interviewed on TV after his demolition of Luke Donald at the MatchPlay. The favourite, in his eyes anyway, and don't you dare discount his chances!

6).21 - 25:
#25: Furyk: Planning to attack Augusta with two drivers but hasn't done better than 4th here and not likely to this week.

#24: Els: Terrible year so far, seems to have lost confidence just when he needs it most.

#23: Watney: Jekyll and Hyde, Would love to see him take the proverbial next step but don't see it this week.

#22: Hanson: 3rd last year but in much better form coming in than this year's version. Wouldn't count him out completely, top ten material.

#21: Mahan: A couple of Masters' top tens under his belt, but something's been missing this past year and I can't see him finding it at Augusta.

7).16 - 20:
#20: Simpson: His US Open win apart, hasn't really had that great a last 18 months. Can't see it improving here.

#19: Dustin Johnson: Augusta National is made for Dustin - no par 5's here for him, but nothing inside the Top 30 here yet, and his dodgy short game will frustrate him again this week.

#18: Dufner: Good start a year ago but faded. If his Dufnering pic's are anything to go by he's still asleep.

#17: McDowell: Top 15 material, doesn't fancy some of the tee shots here and, until he does, can't see him contending.

#16: Garcia: This place frustrates the sh1t out of him. Shame, might get close, but not close enough.

8).11 - 15:
#15: Schwartzel: 2011 winner and no reason to think he can't win another one. Except none of the five South African Major (and Players) winners these past eight years have won since on the PGA Tour. Top three candidate.

#14: Bubba Watson: It's all about his emotions - I fancy a left-hander but perhaps not this one.

#13: Westwood: Nope, not this year, Lee, not until your short game and your long game are on the same page. But, if he can somehow be -10 on the par fives, he'll be right there. Nah.

#12: Poulter: Would love to see Poults win a Biggie but reckon Augusta National is too long for him, too much pressure on his mid and long irons. Top 15 though.

#11: Bradley: Lots of top tens this year and may score another one. Plenty long enough but can't see that short game winning a Green Jacket.

9).6 - 10:
#10: Kuchar: 3rd last year, plods along with that inane-looking, sh1t-eating grin of his and, hey presto, he's right there. Top 5 perhaps, but Green Jacket? Perhaps not, e.w. value though at 33/1 or 40's.

#9: Mickelson: My choice last year and should've, would've and certainly could've . . . . Those triple bogeys did him in. My idea of the man to beat, not scared to win and probably doesn't want it so manically much as Number One.

#8: Stricker: Says he's "still trying to figure out Augusta". I bracket him with Poults, his long game puts too much pressure on his world-class short game; top 20 probable but can't see him in the shake-up.

#7: Scott: No form to speak of this season; plays a bizarre schedule and who knows if he's up for this? Not worth the risk.

#6: Oosthuizen: Difficult for me to separate the two South African Kings: He was devastated by last year's play-off defeat, but can he bounce back? Sh1t or bust I'd think - at his best a sure-fire contender.

10).1 - 5:
#5: Snedeker: Has been out injured for most of the past two months, no cuts made since his early season super form. Certainly has the game, but feel he's still slightly under-cooked for this week. The Sneds of the past year a certain Major winner - just not this week.

#4: Donald: No form for ages. The 2011 model Luke would be a contender anywhere, but not the short-and-crooked version of years ago which has made an unwelcome return - might get away with it at Hilton Head but not 150 miles up the road at Augusta.

#3: Rose: Which Justin will we see? The winner at such top courses as Aronomink and Muirfield Village, or the strutter who flatters only to deceive, but then burns up the final nine holes for a back-door podium finish? Until he can prove that he won't wilt when the heat turns up, I'd have him down as a likely top tenner, not a winner.

#2: And then there's Rory. If his confidence right now was as high as Scott Piercy's I'd ink him in to his first Green Jacket, but his driver left him a bit last Sunday and he won't be "back" until he's back. Not many would be surprised to see him win; me neither, but perhaps not this year.

#1: Tiger: The only person who can beat Tiger is Tiger, and his ambition and anxiety to earn his next Major. Until he does it, I'd bet against him and gamble that Tiger will beat Tiger. As we saw at Bay Hill, though, the old intimidation factor is back and, if he putts like he did in Orlando and hits 60% of the fairways, he'll win this. For me, I'd bet the field against him.

Can't wait though, although we'll have to put up with the unctuous, over-reverential tones of CBS - would be nice to think they'll have a commentator under the age of 50, a breath of fresh air so sorely needed, but no chance of that. The weather should have the course in perfect condition, but there's a chance of severe storms Thursday p.m. into Friday, after which the sun will shine.

I fancy Phil to win, but Bones (perhaps the only born-in-Britain winner this year?) has to keep him focussed. Reckon Louis and Charl will be right there and fancy Kuchar as best outsider, Stenson best complete long-shot.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 9 Apr - 18:11; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Sun 14 Apr - 18:05

Isn't it about time Nine Chins stopped his stupid red shirt superstition. Looks like a t1t.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 18:06

GT350 wrote: every one in the gofling world knows the rule!!!!)

Apparently Nick Faldo did not, and like him you are not looking at all of the facts. Like I said, it comes down to your interpretation and ability to be objective.
Sorry but I just don't agree with your conspiracy theory.

laughing laughing laughing

You dont think faldo knows the drop rule. OMG

look mate as i said before -go back to the start of the rule breach and try and understand what has happened..

then read the below..

"Rule 33-7 is supposed to keep unnecessary disqualifications from coming around. Under the description of Rule 33-7/4.5 there's a "not reasonably have known" factor that applies.

"However, if the Committee is satisfied that the competitor could not reasonably have known or discovered the facts resulting in his breach of the Rules, it would be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving the disqualification penalty prescribed by Rule 6-6d,"

GT350 - check out the bold text , can you please explain how anyone could be satisfied that tiger couldnt have reasonbly known his breach of rules.. when its a rule kids are taught at 12 years old.

And if you can argue that ignoarnce is a valid excuse(even though it is strictly not allowed to be IN THE RULES OF GOLF), well then golfers from this point on might as well do what the hell they want and just blame ignoarnce - then they reasonably couldnt have known about any breached rule and no one can ever be DQ'ed again!!

This rule is for things like PH's example when his ball moved a mm and only an HD tv replay could tell what actually happened!

This is not me arguing if a rule should be there or not, or arguing the wording- its about the fact that this rule can not be used in this situation!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 18:07

Thomas Bjorn looks like a crazy Viking!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr - 18:08

ben,
Cabrera has a five-year exemption for being a Major winner four years ago.

Correct on Slu, quite honestly it happens a handful of times a year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Sun 14 Apr - 18:12

Rule 33-7 specifically says for Exceptional circumstances. How a player taking a wrong drop is an exceptional circumstance is beyond me. BUT Perhaps the officials initially missing the error then correcting after he's signed the card is. But then that's really stretching it. Think we can agree on this and move on now.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 18:14

all the players and their fancy coloured shirts and trousers. gonzo is clearly the coolest mofo out there!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 18:17

beninho wrote:all the players and their fancy coloured shirts and trousers. gonzo is clearly the coolest mofo out there!

only because poults falied to make his 20th straight cut

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr - 18:18

Come on Lee my son . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 18:24

that schwartzal putt was fkin ridiculous.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Apr - 18:26

mystiroakey wrote:
beninho wrote:all the players and their fancy coloured shirts and trousers. gonzo is clearly the coolest mofo out there!

only because poults falied to make his 20th straight cut

Yep, big occasion Poulter, tough course expert, chooses the Masters to end his run.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 18:30

that 3rd hole is a killer for such a short one!

dont worry diggers poults will be back..

Any predos about him falling out the top 100 any time soon mate Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 18:33

langer Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 18:37

Langer - he couldn't...could he?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Apr - 18:39

Europe's best hope for this tournament still in the hands of Langer!

Meanwhile, Jason Day on a mission.

Let's see how Sneds handles the pressure. Angel should be just fine in that department.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Apr - 18:45

mystiroakey wrote:that 3rd hole is a killer for such a short one!

dont worry diggers poults will be back..

Any predos about him falling out the top 100 any time soon mate Very Happy

Well he's finding his normal strokeplay form again so I live in hope Mysti. I reckon he'll end the year around 20-25 maybe.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 18:48

day 3-3 start.

omg this is setting up to being one hellova final day!

Now westy get on with it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 14 Apr - 18:49

Day holes out for eagle! That's the shots back he dropped on 17 and 18, plus another one already.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sun 14 Apr - 18:49

I'm Jason Day-ier, what a start. Cool

Looking at some of the early starters cards, plenty of birdies out there, Kaymer birdied the last 5 in his 70..

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 18:51

Just how good a putter is Snedeker?? Quite fancy him to win this today.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Apr - 19:05

westwood in his customary sunday red.

can woods make it 14 and a half majors?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 19:09

bubba has had 10 at the 12th!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 19:10

Pity Lee can't buy many birdie putts but he's holing out well.

Great two shots into 2 for Cabrera. Easy birdie.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 19:10

beninho wrote:bubba has had 10 at the 12th!
Did he really? Didn't Na do similar?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 19:11

"14 and a half majors?"

Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 14 Apr - 19:17

Great putt Adam Scott. Come on Woods time for a move.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 19:19

Great shot Lee! Surely a gimme birdie at 7?

JPX

That was an exceptional putt wasn't it? Died into the hole dead centre.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Sun 14 Apr - 19:21

Na dunked his 12th tee shot then kept reloading til he hit the green. Didn't even go to drop zone. Now, I wonder could he have moved back two club lengths if he wanted? No. Don't answer that please.

Westwood already missed his chances? Hope not!!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 14 Apr - 19:21

Indeed it was Navy, I have a good feeling about Adam Scott today.

I get nervous when Westwood has a 3 footer.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr - 19:23

Come on Lee my son . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Sun 14 Apr - 19:24

I think we can safely say bye bye Tiger....

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 19:24

JPX wrote:Indeed it was Navy, I have a good feeling about Adam Scott today.

I get nervous when Westwood has a 3 footer.
But he got it! Still on if he can get on some sort of run but think he's got too much to make up. Still, weirder things have happened.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 14 Apr - 19:25

Lairdy wrote:Na dunked his 12th tee shot then kept reloading til he hit the green. Didn't even go to drop zone. Now, I wonder could he have moved back two club lengths if he wanted?

Sounds like he needed to go two yards closer rather than back

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 19:26

lee is playing very nicely!

good par saves.. a couple o birds, good driving.

Oleson is flying- wow what a score from the lad after that start!! loved on here and not surpising either!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 14 Apr - 19:27

Well, you just never know Navy.

Yes I think Tiger's race is run, I don't think even his best golf would be enough now. Whoever wins this will have to finish in front of Jason Day, he's on fire.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr - 19:30

mystiroakey wrote:lee is playing very nicely!

good par saves.. a couple o birds, good driving.

Oleson is flying- wow what a score from the lad after that start!! loved on here and not surpising either!
Oleson had a 78 first round??? Some major talent right there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Sun 14 Apr - 19:31

I'd like to say that the unlucky shot on the 15th followed by the penalty have cost him the jacket. However he hasn 't really played well enough over the last two rounds in order to win it.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 14 Apr - 19:33

Hmmmm. I hope the weather doesn't ruin this final round, it's shaping up to be a great one.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 19:34

on the masters app you can see na take 10. at least he took his hat off to the crowd at the end, bubba just skulked away. must have taken na bloody ages to take all those shots though!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 14 Apr - 19:35

A Monday finish perhaps?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Apr - 19:36

why was tigers shot on 15 unlucky? he knew there was a flag there it wasn't a surprise.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 19:38

Adam scott must have english ancestors

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Sun 14 Apr - 19:38

As nice as this is shaping up... I miss Phil.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 14 Apr - 19:39

beninho wrote:is Angel playing purely on a past champion exemption. would he be in any other way?
That is his only qualification listing on wiki.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Sun 14 Apr - 19:42

beninho wrote:why was tigers shot on 15 unlucky? he knew there was a flag there it wasn't a surprise.

If hitting a flag stick that's a couple of cm's across from a hundred yards away and then rebounding into the water isn't unlucky then what on earth is unlucky in your opinion? Of course it was a surprise. Slightly ridiculous thing to say in all honesty. How often does such a thing happen?

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 19:44

I think he was joking dude..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 14 Apr - 19:45

Snedeker is not doing my chances in Sportsville's comp much good!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Apr - 19:47

beninho wrote:why was tigers shot on 15 unlucky? he knew there was a flag there it wasn't a surprise.
if anything he was probably aiming at the flag, so it was lucky!

at any rate he will need miracles if he is to be don the green jacket tonight
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 14 Apr - 19:49

Can Westwood sneak this?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr - 19:49

Leishman taking a chunk out of the hallowed augusta greens.. hehe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Sun 14 Apr - 19:51

Letter in Leishmans locker...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next