The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler

+13
eddyfightfan
kingraf
Diggers
Snakeyman123
sittingringside
ShahenshahG
jimdig
Strongback
John Bloody Wayne
AlexHuckerby
bhb001
davidemore
Steffan
17 posters

Go down

Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler Empty Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:56 pm

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/201309.html#

Joe Calzaghe has tipped Carl Froch to gain revenge over Mikkel Kessler by defeating the Dane in their forthcoming rematch.

Calzaghe was the first man to defeat Kessler when the pair met in 2007, winning by unanimous decision. The former super-middleweight labels the win "one of my top three victories".

Kessler later recovered to defeat Froch by unanimous decision in 2010, claiming the WBC super-middleweight strap.

The pair are now set to square off for a second time, with the WBA and IBF belts on the line. Froch is fancied to avenge his earlier loss, and Calzaghe does not disagree.

"Where I fancy Froch is that he has aged a bit better than Kessler," Calzaghe told Newsletter. "Kessler isn't as mobile as he used to be, he's a lot easier to hit and I've noticed he doesn't move his head like he used to.

"He's a bit flat-footed. That suits Froch because Froch doesn't like movers; he struggles against them. He likes people right in front of him so he can unload his punches."

The much-anticipated bout is scheduled for May 25 at London's O2 Arena. Kessler has won his last four bouts - although Froch was the toughest opponent in that quartet, while the Brit is coming off back-to-back wins including an annihilation of Lucian Bute.

George Groves is also expected to compete on the same night, although his opponent is yet to be named. Adam Booth recently told Buncey's Boxing Podcast on ESPN that Groves is eyeing a top-ten rival.

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler Empty Re: Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler

Post by davidemore Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Groves and Frochy to devastate.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler Empty Re: Calzaghe: Froch beats 'flat-footed' Kessler

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

"He's a bit flat-footed. That suits Froch because Froch doesn't like movers; he struggles against them. He likes people right in front of him so he can unload his punches."
Joe's way of saying to Carl, "You'd never beat me even on my worst day"

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Joe's way of saying to Carl, "You'd never beat me even on my worst day"

Cheers for the post, Steffan. Must have killed you to put something on that is positive about Froch, so much appreciated!! Having said that, Dave has the correct interpretation, but Calzaghe probably has a point. I do take his work rate to beat Froch. Anyway, really looking forward to this fight, even if it is the best of the also rans!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Steffan this is surely a conflict of interest as you have said that Kessler beats Carl but your God has said otherwise...

OBEY HIM!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I actually think that slimey big nosed snake will win this one. But il be backing the Dane all the way ofcourse

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Steffan, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!! Consistent to the last.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Im sure if the slime meister wins you can all rub my face in it Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm

No point ... and it's when not if!!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Feel like promising you'll leave if Froch wins then reneging when he does like you did for Bute?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Feel like promising you'll leave if Froch wins then reneging when he does like you did for Bute?
Nah

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Steffan wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Feel like promising you'll leave if Froch wins then reneging when he does like you did for Bute?
Nah

Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 pm

The Huck wants me to stay so I will Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:55 am

Steffan wrote:The Huck wants me to stay so I will Smile

I have to sadly admit, I think you're a good character... Mostly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 am

Joe's just saying he beat a better version of Kessler than Froch is facing.

It's a preemptive strike in that if Froch does win it wouldn't have been against an opponent in his prime.

I agree with Calzaghe's point per se but it's the typical pettiness that goes on between himself and Froch.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:02 am

Strongback wrote:Joe's just saying he beat a better version of Kessler than Froch is facing.

It's a preemptive strike in that if Froch does win it wouldn't have been against an opponent in his prime.

I agree with Calzaghe's point per se but it's the typical pettiness that goes on between himself and Froch.
In hindsight im sure Joe wishes he had fought Froch now instead of RJJ but at the time Froch wasnt really a recognised fighter and when Calzaghe would have whopped him people wouldnt have given him any credit anyway just saying Froch was overhyped and another Lacy etc. Shame they both peaked at different times really. Joe to win that one 10 times out of 10 though Froch wouldnt have beat Calzaghe in a million years

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 am

Steffan wrote:
Strongback wrote:Joe's just saying he beat a better version of Kessler than Froch is facing.

In hindsight im sure Joe wishes he had fought Froch now instead of RJJ but at the time Froch wasnt really a recognised fighter and when Calzaghe would have whopped him people wouldnt have given him any credit anyway just saying Froch was overhyped and another Lacy etc. Shame they both peaked at different times really. Joe to win that one 10 times out of 10 though Froch wouldnt have beat Calzaghe in a million years
If they had of met. It could have destroyed froch's career. A loss to Joe at that point would probably have ment no Taylor fight, no super 6. No profile.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:11 pm

I wanna know how come Carl Froch and Lee Westwood are both from Nottingham yet Froch is a totally loathable person and Westwood is such a likeable guy Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Steffan wrote:I wanna know how come Carl Froch and Lee Westwood are both from Nottingham yet Froch is a totally loathable person and Westwood is such a likeable guy Headscratch

Chris is also from nottingham so Lee probably fell from the tree and rolled down to Derby

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Steffan wrote:

Agree with this, fight made no sense at the time so no shame at all on Joe for not taking it. I warmed to Froch much more when he dropped the whole calling out calzaghe thing and got on with forging his own legacy. They're both better for it.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Steffan wrote:I wanna know how come Carl Froch and Lee Westwood are both from Nottingham yet Froch is a totally loathable person and Westwood is such a likeable guy Headscratch

Westwood is from Worksop...

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm

And is a Muppet if we're talking about the same guy

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Funny enough Id say Froch and Westwood were pretty similar personality wise and career wise. Both decent enough blokes who can get a bit prickly at times and both very good at their sport without quite hitting the peaks. LW a works number one but no WGC's or majors and Froch a world belt holder but never the man at his weight.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:21 pm

I really want Kessler to win. Mainly because I put £20 on him...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Steffan wrote:

I very much doubt he regrets it in anyway. His last fight, for lots of money, against an all time great well past his best so no threat to his beloved zero. It isn't very difficult to get yourself up for such a fight, but very hard to go against a hungry fighter who everyone would expect you to be beat anyway.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 am

Roy still had enough left to put Joe on his ass. I wouldn't fault Calaghe for taking Hopkins and Jones at the end in America. If only Joe had gotten over his fear of flying when he was younger then who knows what he could have achieved. Calzaghe had it all and in his prime was tip top world class.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 am

Do not disagree with you in anyway Strongback. The person who held Calzaghe back the most was Calzaghe and, if he had more self belief, could have been talked about as the best Britsih fighter of all in stead of the what might have been

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:05 am

Frank carefully managed Calzaghe as well remember. I seem to recall Hopkins saying he wouldn't fight outside America so Calzaghe wasn't the only one who was inflexible. Calzaghe should have gone to America earlier I agree, I think he would have done very well.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:56 pm

i still think JC didn't really leave any doubt about being the man in each division anyways,he had no idea what froch would end up doing, so the fight was nothing to him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Joe only had two fights at light heavy; one against Hopkins and one against Jones. We all agree Jones was a shadow of the man he was previously (and still but Joe on his back side), so I cannot agree that Calzaghe proved himself to be the man at that division. Super middleweight is a different argument and has been had many times, so I don't want to revisit it here; I'll lose the will to live!!

Unless of course you mean Jesus Christ when you say JC, then I agree as I don't want to have an argument with his dad.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

hopkins is still winning titles at 49, who else at LHW at the time was there?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:34 am

The thing that gets me is Calzaghe's hypocrisy [don't get me wrong I loved watching him fight], he called out Collins when Steve was trying to get a fight with RJJ & Joe bleats when Collins shuns him.
But he does exactly the same thing to Froch but can't understand why Carl got upset when he wouldn't take the fight.
I can see it all happening again though with Froch blanking Groves or Degale for a payday against a higher profile boxer & the two of them whinging.

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Wales win the 6N

Cardiff City promoted tonight

Kessler beating Froch would round off a good first half to the sporting year thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:hopkins is still winning titles at 49, who else at LHW at the time was there?
Possibility of luring Pavlik up to 170 which is what Hopkins did?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:hopkins is still winning titles at 49, who else at LHW at the time was there?
Possibility of luring Pavlik up to 170 which is what Hopkins did?

Chad Dawson was carving out a name for himself and lots of us wanted to see that fight at the time. Jean Pascal had a belt I believe, Tarver was still fighting. There were other options than going for an over the hill Jones as his swan song.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:32 pm

when calzaghe fought RJJ dawson was scheduled to fight tarver the same month, and they had a rematch afterwards, and pascal was KO'd by froch a few weeks later. non of those were options at the time, and they wouldn't really have added a huge amount to his legacy anyways.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Right, so the fact that he could cash in on a low risk fight at the end of his career had nothing to do with his choice of opponent. Normally I'd say he deserved it, but there were too many low risk fights in his career for me to feel charitable. I feel let down by a man of immense talent not living up to his potential and I have yet to see an argument that makes me feel better disposed to the man. For every Lacy we have a Pudwill, for every Kessler a Manfredo Jr.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Pascal wasn't a big name back then - and no, I don't think he had a belt. Fighting him would have done nothing for Joe's legacy, and it wouldn't have sold in America at all.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Smashing, I'll accept that point and agree totally with you. So Pascal was not an option. If Dawson and Tarver were fighting within a couple of weeks of Joe and Jones Jr then the fight was probably made at the same time. Given Joe coming off a fight with Hopkins, he would have been in the driving seat and the others would cue up to fight him, but only in the US. That wasn't a problem to Joe, so he picked the easier fight with the biggest name and the biggest cash reward. As business, it makes perfect sense. I am a fan and not interested in his business acumen. Calzaghe was a disappointment all the way to the bank!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 pm

At the time of the Jones fight Pavlik was unbeaten coming off the back of two wins over the previously unbeaten undisputed middleweight king Taylor and was willing to move up to face Joe. Do not let Kelly’s subsequent failure to live up to his promise or out of ring problems tell you otherwise but at the time he was very much considered the better option than Jones and Joe dropped the ball by picking Jones over him.

Good for the bank balance probably, for the legacy, less so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Reckon Pavlik would have been given the LAcy treatment once joe had battered him.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Reckon Pavlik would have been given the LAcy treatment once joe had battered him.

I don't doubt it shah, but like Lacy being the one to man up and prove someone is not the second coming is eminently more praise worthy than beating the shell of a once fine fighter who has nothing left and like it or otherwise that is what Joe chose to do instead of being the first to beat Kelly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Always wonder what would have happened If Byron mitchell had kept his head....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Calzaghe wasn't interested in a risky fight. He wanted a testimonial and a few quid in the back pocket. Jones fitted the bill. Calzaghe was done anyway and was becoming too accustomed to the canvas.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm

You have a downer on everybody don't you......

Ali, Mayweather, Calzaghe....and yet you like Audley... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Read the thread, I gave Calzaghe great praise, Britain's best in my memory. Last comment refers to his retirement package.

I see you're reading comprehension skills are as good on this thread as they were on the prediction league thread, how did you feel after getting a scolding from the OP?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight now.... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down