The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler

+5
manos de piedra
Seanusarrilius
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Pedro147
9 posters

Go down

Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler Empty Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler

Post by Pedro147 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Huge amount of talk about this on Twitter today and Hopkins has confirmed it also. Said preliminary talks taken place for a fight in Nov/Dec should Froch beat Kessler.

How do we see this one going guys? Hopkins too smart for Froch or will Froch come out fast and take the fight to Hopkins?

I can see it being a very boring fight though with a lot of spoiling going on!

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler Empty Re: Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 2:47 pm

I see it being the nail in the coffin of Froch's "legacy"

Lose and he lost to a relic...win and he beat an old codger.

Total lose/lose situation for FROCH. Only hope Carl doesn't actually give too many s***s about how people view his legacy and he's happy just to take the cash and live a long happy life with his missus and their kids.

Back to top Go down

Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler Empty Re: Froch v Hopkins if he beats Kessler

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:47 pm

No way Pedro..........

Hoppo can only fight sporadically now.................50 is no age to be fighting.

He needs to move on.....now!!

Froch - Cleverly would be nice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 07 May 2013, 2:49 pm

not sure why Froch would want this to be honest

I can see in terms of wanting to fight the best etc, but if he wins he is beating up a past it legend, and if he loses the Calzaghe crowd will be out in force.

Froch has other fights available at this time which make more sense

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No way Pedro..........

Hoppo can only fight sporadically now.................50 is no age to be fighting.

He needs to move on.....now!!

Froch - Cleverly would be nice..

It would indeed but I don't see Frank letting this happen or at least not at this stage anyway as Clev hasn't fought enough quality opposition for to step up to that level(let's not create a Clev debate though hahaha).

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 2:54 pm

Warren would look to convince Groves to move up to LH and then try get the winner of him and Clev on against Froch

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:55 pm

Thing is Cleverly would be a lot bigger than Froch....Froch is knocking on too...

If Hearn/Warren could make a deal which King/Arum have done in the past when it suited!...Then It's a big fight and a great transcending opportunity for clev who would have a great chance...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:58 pm

Some more on it here actually:

[i][i]Bernard Hopkins wants to fight Carl Froch, provided the British star wins his forthcoming showdown with Mikkel Kessler.

American veteran Hopkins - who became the oldest person to win a major title when he defeated Tavoris Cloud for the IBF light-heavyweight crown in March - must face mandatory challenger Karo Murat first.

He is expected to win that, and the 48-year-old says he then wants to tackle Froch and is happy to come to the UK to fight him.

Froch is looking to avenge his defeat to Denmark's Kessler when the two meet at the O2 Arena on May 25 in a blockbusting bout for the WBA and IBF super-middleweight belts.

"Froch is top of my wish list. I have great respect for him as a fighter. He is very exciting and our styles would make for a great fight," the 48-year-old told the Daily Mail.

"I will happily go over to the UK to make it happen but of course Carl will have to beat Kessler first. I am rooting for him to do it and I think he will win this time."

One issue may be agreeing a weight to fight at. The American, who has also been linked with a bout against Froch's compatriot and the WBO's 175lb champion Nathan Cleverly, is happy to negotiate, however.

"While we could fight for my light-heavy title, there is the option of doing it at a catch-weight we are both comfortable with," he said.

"A fight of this magnitude matters more in its own right than the belt. Cleverly is a possibility for later this year but Froch is my preference if we can get it made."
[/i][/i]

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 07 May 2013, 3:04 pm

Froch should steer well clear of Hopkins. Lose lose as Dave said.

Froch Clev would make sense if Clev had any profile whatsoever, but he doesn't.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 07 May 2013, 3:20 pm

I think it would be a good fight to take. I can see the lose/lose argument but at the end of the day Hopkins is still top 2/3 in the division. Dawson beat him and it didn’t do him any harm. Win or lose if Froch decides not to retire I think a move to light heavyweight would make sense. More fights there for him and a more realistic chance of becoming the number 1 in the division.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:22 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Froch should steer well clear of Hopkins. Lose lose as Dave said.

Froch Clev would make sense if Clev had any profile whatsoever, but he doesn't.

Everyone seems to be taking Kessler for granted...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 07 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Nobody is taking Kessler for granted.

The OP was about a potential fight with Hopkins

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:31 pm

You not think.......People are looking ahead to Froch's next opponent...

No one is predicting Kessler-Hopkins..........Or Kessler-Groves...

Must admit I see froch winning easily..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 07 May 2013, 3:33 pm

If Hopkins was spouting Kessler as a potential fight on Twitter, then maybe the OP would have been different.

There is a difference between predicting a victory for a fighter, and taking a win for granted...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:36 pm

Tend to find in Boxing people are always looking ahead.....

Remember Lou Duva setting up a Czyz - Sutherland fight only to find Sutherland was detroyed by Chong Pal Park..

But I get your point..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 3:38 pm

Kessler will beat Froch anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 May 2013, 3:40 pm

Win and he becomes a 2 weight world champion.

That is still a feather in the cap when hanging them up.

Better doing it now rather than some no mark taking the IBF belt off Hopkins as he surely has to fall at some point soon.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 07 May 2013, 3:40 pm

True, i guess it would take all the fun out of forums if we were not looking ahead!

tis many a slip twix cup and mouth and all that!

but back to the OP I could not see how this would make for an exciting fight, especially following Froch v Kessler if it lives up to the hype

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 3:42 pm

Hop v anyone would be dire.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Warren would look to convince Groves to move up to LH and then try get the winner of him and Clev on against Froch

Hasn't Groves gone to Matchroom? In which case I don't see Warren being able to dictate terms that way.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 4:23 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Warren would look to convince Groves to move up to LH and then try get the winner of him and Clev on against Froch

Hasn't Groves gone to Matchroom? In which case I don't see Warren being able to dictate terms that way.
Warren still has Cleverley but I firmly believe that a Cleverley/Hopkins fight is about as likely as Calzaghe/Hopkins II. Therefore, the next best fight for Warren's boy would be Froch but I can't see Froch wanting to face Cleverley (not cos he's scared, I just don't think there's anything for Froch to gain from it) so the next best thing (after the other next best thing) is a fight with someone like Groves and I just wonder if Warren could tempt Groves into a big money fight on the proviso that he moves up to LH.

Honestly don't know if it's a move Groves could or would make...I'm just speculating

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Could see Groves schooling Clev off the back-foot, on that basis I'd be tempted to suggest it's something GG should look to. Although it'd mean him abandoning his SMW ambitions which I don't think he'd do.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 4:34 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Could see Groves schooling Clev off the back-foot, on that basis I'd be tempted to suggest it's something GG should look to. Although it'd mean him abandoning his SMW ambitions which I don't think he'd do.
Agreed, there's potential for Groves at SM and I think he'd like to make his mark there especially as there's there's talk of Ward moving up to LH. Clev's a young lad and isn't going anywhere (in the worst possible way) so there's time to make a fight at LH with Groves.

This promoting lark is a piece of cake, now all I need to do is convince Degale to walk around selling hotdogs and I'd make a fortune.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 07 May 2013, 4:38 pm

What does Hopkins age matter? He just dethroned a 'world' champion and is still performing well, albeit hugely boring.

Would prefer to see him fight Clev however, think it would be entertaining.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 4:41 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:What does Hopkins age matter? He just dethroned a 'world' champion and is still performing well, albeit hugely boring.

Would prefer to see him fight Clev however, think it would be entertaining.
Think again...Hopkins doesn't want to engage a young hungry fighter and Cleverley doesn't have the ring smarts to get Hopkins to fight at a pace he doesn't want to. Interesting only from the point of view of watching Clev get outsmarted but as a spectacle....Hey Mr Degale, two more hotdogs please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down