The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill

+5
davidemore
bhb001
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Pedro147
9 posters

Go down

Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill Empty Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill

Post by Pedro147 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

George Groves will face Noe Gonzalez Alcoba on May 25 at the O2 Arena, as part of the Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler bill live on Sky Sports Box Office in ‘Warrior’s Call’ in association with Betfair.

Super middleweight star Groves is hunting a World title fight later in the year and will keep preparations going against the hard-hitting Uruguayan who has 22 KO wins from 32 fights and is hunting a second World title fight of his own having challenged Felix Sturm and Adonis Stevenson for major belts.

Groves boxed twice in March with a spot on the undercard of Robert Stieglitz four round blitz of Arthur Abraham in Germany, at the Londoner is targeting a crack at the WBO champ this autumn.

“He's been in with good company and he's got a big KO record so it will be an explosive fight,” said Groves. “He's a bit of a banger so I'll have to be on my toes. But I feel that I'm right on track for a World title shot now and there's no margin for error.

“I don't think there's any mileage in an immediate rematch between Abraham-Stieglitz, maybe down the line but I think they're sick of the sight of each other I imagine, so hopefully it's time for someone like me to get a crack at the belt.

A stoppage loss for Abraham takes a lot of getting over at this stage of his career and his eye was a mess too, so I don't think he'll be the man to fight Robert, I think I am though and that's a fight I really want.

“A World title fight in London in September would be a dream come true and it's not unrealistic to think it will happen. I'd love for Eddie Hearn to get a World champion over to London and we do a big show in the capital, but I've shown I am happy to box overseas and I would happily do so again for a World title.”

“This is a pivotal moment in George's career,” said Groves’ promoter Hearn. “Gonzalez comes with heavy artillery and is also looking for another shot at the World title. Groves is ready for this test and victory will see us pushing for a World title shot in September.”

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill Empty Re: Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill

Post by azania Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

How good is Alcoba?

azania

Back to top Go down

Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill Empty Re: Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm

Seems like he has a bit of a pedigree

Has fought Sturm and Stevenson for world title, with the latter ending early however, and seems to have a fair old whack on him

Should get Groves a good old bit of exposure and should he take him out in style which could happen than its a good scalp to have and will help him get mandatory positions to force title shots

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

In that case I hope Groves isn't looking past him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:14 pm

At least he is keeping himself busy. Wasn't he pretty inactive for a while due to contractual issues, lack of promotion or something of that ilk?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:24 pm

bhb001 wrote:At least he is keeping himself busy. Wasn't he pretty inactive for a while due to contractual issues, lack of promotion or something of that ilk?

All of the above.

azania

Back to top Go down

Groves faces Alcoba on Froch vs. Kessler bill Empty Groves to Fight ANOTHER CAN: Come on Eddie

Post by davidemore Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:48 pm

George Groves is back next month to face a can.

Never even heard of him. The guy probably works in a Morrison's somewhere.

Adam Booth aint got no sense, George needs to step up in class. Not a manufactured name.

Thoughts?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=274107&cat=boxer

On second thoughts, not too bad, lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

Let's merge the two Groves threads can we..

He doesn't deserve two.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Not for this fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

Its not bad, on his way to a world title shot it looks like our Georgey.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:38 am

Looks like he can bang but has only fought outside of South America twice and has lost both. Groves by late stoppage in this one.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:45 am

I was hoping to have a name to look forward to, another Glen Johnson type, but I guess I'll reserve judgement as it could still be a good fight. Doesn't add much value on paper though.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down