The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club nicknames

+18
jimbopip
21st Century Schizoid Man
R!skysports
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
Imperialbigdave
asoreleftshoulder
George Carlin
Kingshu
Effervescing Elephant
Feckless Rogue
ScarletSpiderman
HongKongCherry
Mickado
TrailApe
Geordie
Portnoy's Complaint
22 posters

Go down

Club nicknames Empty Club nicknames

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr - 11:07

Blues and Sharks, Chiefs and Warriors, Ospreys and Falcons etc.

How and when did these epithets arise?

Leicester Tigers apparently named after the Leicestershire Regiment over a hundred years ago.
The Regiment were granted a Tiger symbol in 1825 for service in India.

It was as early as 1885 that the team took up the Tigers name when the Leicester Daily Post stated that "the Tiger stripes were keeping well together." It is still not certain whether the name came from the brown and yellow kit then worn by the side or a connection with the local regiment who were nicknamed the Tigers after serving in India.
http://www.leicestertigers.com/club/history/general.php

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Club nicknames Empty Re: Club nicknames

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Apr - 11:29

Was it not all to do with the rise of professionalism...marketing etc

Newcastle Gosforth were bought up by Newcastle United (John Hall) as were the Basketball and Ice hockey teams to create a Sporting Club like Barcelona (didnt quite work)

Gosforth became the Falcons and the Green and White became the black of United.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 26 Apr - 11:44

Wll there was a touch of logic in that Newcastle Utd were traditionally the Magpies, the Basketball team became the Eagles and the rugby team was the Falcons - so you can see where John Hall was going with that - although Falcons and Eagles are not commonly seen on Tyneside. (I suppose Pigeons and Jackdaws aren't sexy enough.)
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr - 11:55

For a short time Leinster were the Leinster Lions.

That's because the Irish word for Leinster (Laighean) is pronoucned almost exactly the same a Lion/Line. Our supporters bar is called the Laighean Out.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 26 Apr - 12:06

Gloucester's nickname is rather obvious with the Cherry and Whites come from our shirt, which legend has it comes from when we had no kit and we had to borrow Painswick's kit for a game, which we won and we have worn ever since.

One of our better associated nicknames is Castle Grim for Kingsholm, which is a rather fitting and foreboding name. However, the origin of the name is rather mundane. The plot of land Kingsholm is on used to be called the Castle Grim estate, as the old castle was just round the corner.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Apr - 12:07

TrailApe wrote:Wll there was a touch of logic in that Newcastle Utd were traditionally the Magpies, the Basketball team became the Eagles and the rugby team was the Falcons - so you can see where John Hall was going with that - although Falcons and Eagles are not commonly seen on Tyneside. (I suppose Pigeons and Jackdaws aren't sexy enough.)

And plenty of feckin seaguls... steam

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr - 12:24

Given Mr Hall's legacy to professional rugby (alongside that of Mr Warren at Bedford), maybe Newcastle should be Gosforth Arsehalls and Bedford's the Myxomatoses.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 26 Apr - 19:46

Llanelli picked up the name Scarlets purely down to shirt colour. I believe them also being known as the Turks comes from a game post WWII when the visiting side complemented them by commenting on how Llanelli battled like the Turks.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 26 Apr - 22:20

The ladyboys. Because we're so good looking.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 29 Apr - 14:11

Exeter Chiefs: the only way to subdue the restless spirits of the dead apaches as we built Sandy Park on the site of an ancient indian burial ground.

Or

Senior teams in Devon have always, traditionally, been called Chiefs with junior teams called braves etc. Also means you can have interesting names for the bars/restaurants. Although they got the wrong sort of indian with the Wigwam curry house.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 29 Apr - 14:33

Why did Worcester and Glasgow become Warriors? also the old Celtic Warriors.

Seams a popular choice,

Ulster call the 'A' team, the Ulster Ravens (after Ravenhill),
Connacht call thier 'A' team the Connacht Eagles (after the Eagle on thier coat of arms)
I guess in time Munster 'A' will become Munster stags, and Leinster 'A' take over the name Leinster lions, that Leinster tried years back, Leinster Harps would make more sense though.

I always think Names like Scarlets and Blues is a bit silly, when they are in thier alternative top, when someone asks which team are the Scarlets? and th eanswer is, Scarlets are that team in the Brown!

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 29 Apr - 14:43

Kinghsu - the away colour is Chocolate, not brown. Although I have another word that describes it more accurately, but can not be posted on here. I see your point about colours being team names makes little sence, however sometimes these names are pretty historic. I think Llanelli RFC have been the Scarlets for over 100 years, so seeing as they wanted to keep some of their identity going into regionalism, I guess it made pretty good sense, as it was easier for people to relate to the Scarlets than it would have been to relate to the Dyfyd Detroyers, or whatever unrealated name the pen pushers could have thought up.

I think the thing with the Welsh regions is that their 'nicknames' had to be manufactured, and also in the process teams like the Dragons, Ospreys and Celtic Warriors had to do their level best not to do anything to isolate either side of the merger.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr - 14:48

On professionalism, Glasgow was merged with the team of our northern brethren who hold the rear end of sheep in high regard (aka Aberdonians) and we became Glasgow Caledonians. 'Caledonian' was dropped at the start of the 2002–03 season because nobody outside of Spean Bridge liked it*, with the team being being re-named Glasgow Rugby instead (presumably after fully three minutes of agonising over the name in an SRU meeting just before the pubs opened). In 2005–06 season, we were rebranded as Glasgow Warriors**.

Have absolutely no idea why Warriors was chosen. I think that it narrowly beat 'Jessies' in an SRU staff vote.

*This might be a lie.
** And we adopted the logo that was surely put together by an 'O' level art student.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 29 Apr - 14:50

George Carlin wrote:On professionalism, Glasgow was merged with the team of our northern brethren who hold the rear end of sheep in high regard (aka Aberdonians) and we became Glasgow Caledonians. 'Caledonian' was dropped at the start of the 2002–03 season because nobody outside of Spean Bridge liked it*, with the team being being re-named Glasgow Rugby instead (presumably after fully three minutes of agonising over the name in an SRU meeting just before the pubs opened). In 2005–06 season, we were rebranded as Glasgow Warriors**.

Have absolutely no idea why Warriors was chosen. I think that it narrowly beat 'Jessies' in an SRU staff vote.

*This might be a lie.
** And we adopted the logo that was surely put together by an 'O' level art student.

The same thought that was put into the re-branding of Edinburgh when they dropped the Gunners tag then.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 29 Apr - 14:52

Mickado wrote:For a short time Leinster were the Leinster Lions.

That's because the Irish word for Leinster (Laighean) is pronoucned almost exactly the same a Lion/Line. Our supporters bar is called the Laighean Out.

I always hated that,it was so artificial and there's only one Lions team in the Northern Hemisphere.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr - 15:00

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
George Carlin wrote:On professionalism, Glasgow was merged with the team of our northern brethren who hold the rear end of sheep in high regard (aka Aberdonians) and we became Glasgow Caledonians. 'Caledonian' was dropped at the start of the 2002–03 season because nobody outside of Spean Bridge liked it*, with the team being being re-named Glasgow Rugby instead (presumably after fully three minutes of agonising over the name in an SRU meeting just before the pubs opened). In 2005–06 season, we were rebranded as Glasgow Warriors**.

*This might be a lie.

The same thought that was put into the re-branding of Edinburgh when they dropped the Gunners tag then.

We got threatened with legal action by Arsenal over that.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 29 Apr - 15:02

BigDave - really? That is a bit harsh, what with it being different sports and all that. I remember there being money issues etc around the time of the change, and assumed it was a 'clean start' sort of idea.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 29 Apr - 15:05

I remember reading that Edinburgh had to drop Gunners, as this was a registered Arsenal trademark and they were infriging on it.

Can we make up names for Edinburgh, like Edinburgh Castles?

SS I like the Scarlets name and history behind it, wasn't really meaning to single them out as Cardiff Blues could be same thing

"Which team are the Cardiff Blues?"
"Blues are the team in pink"

I'd never suggest that Scarlets be called anything else mind, just think it can be funny at times.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 29 Apr - 15:30

TrailApe wrote:Wll there was a touch of logic in that Newcastle Utd were traditionally the Magpies, the Basketball team became the Eagles and the rugby team was the Falcons - so you can see where John Hall was going with that - although Falcons and Eagles are not commonly seen on Tyneside. (I suppose Pigeons and Jackdaws aren't sexy enough.)

I think pigeons and jackdaws are sexy.

Perhaps I shouldn't say any more... censored

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr - 15:47

I would quite like the Edinburgh Pandas tbh, it would reflect the apathy of players and fans alike, while playing on our famous residents.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 29 Apr - 15:54

Pigeons and Luckless Pedestrians I understand.
Along with roadrunners and dippers.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 29 Apr - 16:03

Canterbury Crusaders - well, Christchurch is regarded as the most "English" NZ city, so they went a bit St George on the name and threw in some alliteration

Otago Highlanders - historically Dunedin was settled by Scotsmen, and the southerners still roll their "r"s in remembrance

Wellington Hurricanes - the wind does get up a bit in Wellywood

Waikato Chiefs - the Waikato was at the heart of the Kingitanga movement, so plenty of Maori chiefs around.

Auckland Blues - the jafas play in blue & white hoops in the NPC. It could be worse, their cricket team got tagged the "Aces"

The NPC team nicknames (being less official) have more provenance
Taranaki - Ferdinands - cow country reference
Waikaro - Mooloos - another cow country reference
Thames Valley - Swamp Foxes - err, a bit damp out their way
Marlborough - Red Devils (red shirts & punch above their weight)
Southland - Stags (from their crest)
Northland - Taniwhas (marketing name - a Taniwha is a Maori mythological spirit/monster)
Counties-Manakau - Steelers - steel factory reference
Hawkes Bay - Magpies - black & white hooped jerseys

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 29 Apr - 16:12

Imperialbigdave wrote:I would quite like the Edinburgh Pandas tbh, it would reflect the apathy of players and fans alike, while playing on our famous residents.

I thought Edinburgh had already been rebranded Edinburgh MFLs?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 29 Apr - 16:24

How about

Glasgow Deep Fries

and

Edinburgh Shabbies

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr - 16:41

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:I would quite like the Edinburgh Pandas tbh, it would reflect the apathy of players and fans alike, while playing on our famous residents.

by one soap dodger.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Mon 29 Apr - 16:50

Gosforth Arsehalls

Well in their previous state, before they morphed into Newcastle, a lot of the smaller clubs in the region would have agreed with that description.

Gosforth were quite full of themselves and a magnet for the 'plummier' type of supporter and Blazer.

With the reference to the Edinburgh Gunners - I was once on a course with the gadgy that used to fire the 25lber at the castle. I think his name was Tam. It was the 'Potential Sergeants' course and it was VERY physical. Nearly killed him as he was quite 'mature' even though they were taking it easy on him (his stripes were more for show - but he still had to do the course). Good for him though - as I'm a bit older now I can see how hard it must have been for him and in retrospect how well he actually did. Every morning well before sparrow fart and they had us doing 'stretcher' runs. That doesn't sound so bad until you realised that the stretchers were made of steel scaffold poles with sections of tank track welded to them. My arms must have stretched about 5 inches.

Happy days.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 29 Apr - 17:11

Riskysports wrote:How about

Glasgow Deep Fries

and

Edinburgh Shabbies

Why Glasgow Deep Fries when the mars bar delicacy was invented in Stonehaven or Kirkaldy or something - nowhere near Glasgow anyway? I prefer the Glasgow Pure Mad Mental - see Niko Matawalu for appropriateness ! Erm

Edinburgh Metrosexual Festival Luvvies (copyright Jimbopip) is very appropriate too tbh
laughing

Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Mon 29 Apr - 17:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Apr - 18:10

Imperialbigdave wrote:

by one soap dodger.
IBD inaccurate on two levels; the MFL sobriquet was hatched as the result of a love-in between GC and myself and the rebranding has been embraced by posters well outside the Scotstoun postcode which shows how fitting it is, and secondly I gave up dodging the Knight's Castile years ago- When MrsPip wants to get me soapy I know better than to struggle!
MFL you ar and MFL you shall remain man up and embrace your inner metrosexuality.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 29 Apr - 18:39

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 29 Apr - 18:49

TrailApe wrote:
Gosforth Arsehalls

Well in their previous state, before they morphed into Newcastle, a lot of the smaller clubs in the region would have agreed with that description.

Gosforth were quite full of themselves and a magnet for the 'plummier' type of supporter and Blazer.

With the reference to the Edinburgh Gunners - I was once on a course with the gadgy that used to fire the 25lber at the castle. I think his name was Tam. It was the 'Potential Sergeants' course and it was VERY physical. Nearly killed him as he was quite 'mature' even though they were taking it easy on him (his stripes were more for show - but he still had to do the course). Good for him though - as I'm a bit older now I can see how hard it must have been for him and in retrospect how well he actually did. Every morning well before sparrow fart and they had us doing 'stretcher' runs. That doesn't sound so bad until you realised that the stretchers were made of steel scaffold poles with sections of tank track welded to them. My arms must have stretched about 5 inches.

Happy days.

Have to say the Gosforth Arsehalls suggestion was a slur on Sir (sic) John Hall's dubious contribution to pro rugby. Read it as 'Gosforth ArseHalls'.
Good academy though but it won't want am immediate Ofsted inspection.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 29 Apr - 18:57

I've never seen Munster go by any nickname or alternate brand.

Even the Stag is a very new thing; it was put on the crest in 2004 and there has never been any real efforts to use a stag as part of a branding campaign.

We changed our mascot this year from Murty the inflatable man (the most sh1t mascot to ever be associated with a team) to Oscar who is a red stag.

However most kids just think he is Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer and I couldn't ever see it being a popular move to label Munster as "The Stags".
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 29 Apr - 19:00

Leinster are supposed to be the Lions I think, Munster the stags, Connacht the Eagles. But they will never be called anything other then the provinces, simply because the names have been there for over a thousand years.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr - 19:14

jimbopip wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

by one soap dodger.
IBD inaccurate on two levels; the MFL sobriquet was hatched as the result of a love-in between GC and myself and the rebranding has been embraced by posters well outside the Scotstoun postcode which shows how fitting it is, and secondly I gave up dodging the Knight's Castile years ago- When MrsPip wants to get me soapy I know better than to struggle!
MFL you ar and MFL you shall remain man up and embrace your inner metrosexuality.

I can and do embrace my metrosexuality as a Panda, not a MFL
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 29 Apr - 19:14

Thomond wrote:Leinster are supposed to be the Lions I think, Munster the stags, Connacht the Eagles. But they will never be called anything other then the provinces, simply because the names have been there for over a thousand years.

I thought Leinster were the ladyboys or the leinstertainers?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr - 19:25

I am an Edinburgh resident and fan - and I accept the name MFLs with pride! nay even gay abandon!

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Apr - 19:47

TJ wrote:I am an Edinburgh resident and fan - and I accept the name MFLs with pride! nay even gay abandon!
Brothers and sister let us all unite and pray unto the lord that one day Imperialbigdave will be man enough to embrace the Metrosexual Festival Luvvie inside him.
Let's hear it ,
Sing if you're glad to have reserved seating in the quiet of the Morningside Reading Room
Sing if you're happy that way (although quietly)
Sing if you're glad to have reserved seating in the quiet of the Morningside Reading Room
Sing if you're glad to have had your tea already
Sing if you're happy that way king

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 29 Apr - 19:59

Laugh That's the spirit, TJ!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr - 19:59

Very Happy my smilie keep disappearing :-)

Last edited by TJ on Mon 29 Apr - 20:00; edited 2 times in total

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 29 Apr - 19:59

jimbopip wrote:
TJ wrote:I am an Edinburgh resident and fan - and I accept the name MFLs with pride! nay even gay abandon!
Brothers and sister let us all unite and pray unto the lord that one day Imperialbigdave will be man enough to embrace the Metrosexual Festival Luvvie inside him.
Let's hear it ,
Sing if you're happy that way (although quietly)
Sing if you're glad to have had your tea already
Sing if you're happy that way king

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 30 Apr - 11:20

red_stag wrote:I've never seen Munster go by any nickname or alternate brand.

Even the Stag is a very new thing; it was put on the crest in 2004 and there has never been any real efforts to use a stag as part of a branding campaign.

We changed our mascot this year from Murty the inflatable man (the most sh1t mascot to ever be associated with a team) to Oscar who is a red stag.

However most kids just think he is Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer and I couldn't ever see it being a popular move to label Munster as "The Stags".

Any idea why the stag was put on the badge? There was nothing wrong with the traditional crowns was there?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 30 Apr - 11:32

The crowns were too dear.

I'll get me coat.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content