The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ERC Player of the year shortlist

+2
Notch
ChequeredJersey
6 posters

Go down

ERC Player of the year shortlist Empty ERC Player of the year shortlist

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 pm

The Shortlist for the 2013 ERC Player of the Year has been released:

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12062_8680565,00.html

From Stuart Barnes (sorry...)

As a member of the panel I am delighted to list some of the reasons for the selection of this superb quintet - I cannot speak for the rest of the ERC panel but I voted for three of the five and have no qualms with the democracy that sees two non-Barnes' nominations.

In the interest of solidarity, I will not disclose which three I nominated and the duo who missed out... though you can guess and write to Under The Posts if you like!

Anyway, without further ado and in no particular order, here are the five men selected...

Julian Bonnaire - Clermont Auvergne

The Clermont back-row man produced one of the finest back-row performances of the European season when the finalists dazzled Exeter in Devon. He just about held his nerve as stand-in captain against Munster, in the absence of Aurelien Rougerie.

Jamie Heaslip - Leinster

A blockbuster of a performance face to face with Imanol Harinordoquy in the Amlin semi-final was the highlight of a solid to strong series of games. In the semi-final last Saturday Heaslip showed all the old verve with a real cameo.

Sitiveni Sivivatu - Clermont Auvergne

He WAS on my list. Big, bruising and brilliant; no one is unstoppable but he has been pretty near it at times. A great rugby brain and a show stopping performer, yeah, I voted for the former All Black.

Wesley Fofana - Clermont Auvergne

Another Clermont man; no surprise working out who the star team of the tournament has been. He has gone toe to toe with Sivivatu as the most dangerous three quarter in the competition. Clermont may take the mantle of European champions from Leinster, Fofana is stealing the title of Europe's best centre from Brian O' Driscoll.

Jonny Wilkinson - Toulon

Two of the most nerveless displays of goal kicking imaginable has seen Toulon through to the final of the Heineken Cup. He did not miss a kick in either the quarter or semi-final and took on some monsters - especially against Leicester. The drop-goal to swat the Saracens at Twickenham was from another world. A big hit in the tackle and in the town, Wilkinson was hardly a surprise nominee.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

ERC Player of the year shortlist Empty Re: ERC Player of the year shortlist

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Not sure why Heaslip is on that list
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

There is always one player from the Amlin- given his performance against Biarritz, it may as well be Heaslip!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Isn't it meant to be based on a whole season of European rugby?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Yeah, but I'm saying there's always one player from the knockout stages of the Amlin involved.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Might as well just be from the last games. Who needs a whole season eh?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 am

Well if you're still in the last games it hints that you might have had a whole season....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed May 01, 2013 7:28 am

Cannot believe Bonnaire retired from internationals - France missed him very badly in the 6N this year. I would also have had Hines, Parra or Cudmore in there given their huge influence. Also a little odd that Fofana and Sivi are in there but Nalaga isn't when he's scored more tries.

Heaslip has saved his season with his late form. Hopefully it's an upwards trajectory as we need him to squish Big Fotu in the test matches.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 am

Heaslip has been top class for Leinster all season,made a massive amount of tackles and carries in the HC group stages as well as contributing well at the dirty work in the rucks.He didn't do well in the 6N so people assume he has had a poor season.

He won't win the thing but given that they always pick a player from the Amlin to be on the shortlist Heaslip is deserving of his place.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed May 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Just on another little related point... I really don't like the idea of Sky employees deciding on who are best players of the ERC season. It should be a panel that has no link to the Broadcasting company that televises it, and certainly not a man who comments on it.

He can instantly turn his 'opinions' on players into proven awards to ensure he's seen to be right on the ball on his 'opinions' during match days themselves. It affords Barnes a gravitas he might not necessarily enjoy if he wasn't part of the selection panel.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down