The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions

+16
GunsGerms
boomeranga
Icu
nganboy
Rob B
RubyGuby
bsando
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
MDB
kiakahaaotearoa
Pal Joey
pete (buachaill on eirne)
OzT
thebluesmancometh
fa0019
Biltong
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions Empty My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 am

After reading the many comments and opinions on V2 about the Lions squad, I started thinking about the Wallaby selections and if I was an Ozzie what would I like my team to look like.

I will stick to the starting XV only.

1. Ben Robinson, he may not be the greatest scrummager, but he is mobile and has had some very entertaining runs this season in super XV, his work rate isn't bad at all and I really don't think there is anyone out there that you can for certain say is better than him, plus he has experience.

2. Stephen Moore, for me an automatic choice, some might believe Polota Nau has more ball carrying ability, but I think you need consistency and experience when it comes to your Hooker, Moore reminds me a lot of Adriaan Strauss, solid, dependable and a serious rugby player.

3. This is probabaly the one postion I am least certain of, SLipper or Alexander? Probabaly Alexander because of his experience, and when you look at the combination of the front row, competent enough.

4. I am going to be controversial here by selecting Ben Mowen as the number 4, I would have considered Dave Dennis as along with Mowen have been the two leading line out winners for Australia Franchises, but after seeing the Bulls dismantle the Waratah Line out this past weekend, I will opt for the taller Mowen, the reason for Mowen is also his mobility and size

5. James Horwill, a must and my Wallaby captain.

6. You could argue Ben Mowen who play 6 at the Brumbies might be a better option at six, but for me Liam Gill is a sensational youngster, better at ball carrying than Hooper but also as good as Smith and Hooper at pilfering, for me Hooper is more in the mould of Pocock who (some may argue with me) is one dimensional and not very good at ball carrying. Also Gill has an incredible work rate on defence.

7. George Smith, the reason for Smith is that he has oodles of experience, he isn't as strong a ball carrier as Gill but a demon on defence and slowing down ruck ball, the reason why I pick him and Gill is that they can hunt as a pair, and the Lions will have to bring some serious S%^&t to counter them.

8. Scott Higginbotham, if you watched the Rebels this past weekend against the Crusaders you will know when I say this guy has, size, pace, ball carrying ability and some serious ball skills.

9. Genia, enough said.

10. Cooper, I don't like him much, but once you have gone through the list of other hopefuls, they have either not performed consistently enough or haven't played at 10 consistently. Beside that, Cooper has toned down his recklessness, been putting in more though into his blunders and his tactical kicking has been second to none.

11. Digby Ioane, I know many will say that his form hasn't been great this season, but I think his class will show.

12. Christian Lealiifano. cool, calm collected and has been doing very well for the Brumbies in the midfield. Plus he is the back up kicker to Cooper.

13. Adam Ashley Cooper, he has been running really hard all season, and has ignited the Waratahs back line with his ball carries, beside that, he is 100% commited to the cause.

14. Folau, yes he is inexperienced, but his running is very, very strong and he has excellent aerial skills.

15. Some would go for Mogg, but I will go for James O'Connor, he has very good individual skills and is an all round complete player.

So that is the Wallaby team I would select. I might change my mind at some point, but I think that is a really mobile pack, strong at the breakdown, and very good at defence and ball carries, the backline has some z factor and skills, and the combination of the team has enough experienced players to halp out those that are new to the international scene.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions Empty Re: My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions

Post by fa0019 Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

They won't go with Folau... too inexperienced. His defence is not strong enough and with the lions bringing North, Cuthbert and Bowe they will need their wings to be defensively solid. Could put him on the bench for some x factor attacking prowess mind.
I reckon they will throw in Mogg on the wing... you have to find a place for him somewhere as his pace is electric.

Beale will feature.... when do you ever see him play a bad game. He's back now and Deans won't care about him smacking a couple of team mates...at least he didn't slam Dean's regime unlike Cooper.

I myself fancy a backrow 678 of Higginbottom, Smith and Auelua.

Its a good combination IMO... Higginbottom has the lineout skills, Smith has the experience as is on fire as poacher and Auelua literally is tearing up all comers... Deans would be mad not to realise his form.

Whatever the combination that is one damn good side.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions Empty Re: My Wallaby team to take on the British and Irish Lions

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

Good side but I cannot understand someone who clearly watches a lot of Super rugby and chooses Smith in the first team...

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!

PS I would have JOC at 12, and Beale at 15, unless Beale isn't in the squad, maybe Cooper won't be either, in that case JOC at 10 and Mogg at FB.

I definately agrre with Folau... Very impressive!!

Also unsure about Mowen at lock, havn't seen him play there, does he have the out and out brutality and strength, not to mention lineout nous??

If I were Deans I'd be looking at the Lions front row options and consider Moore too, as well as Alexander and Robinson for their experience, theyre going to need every ounce of that!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 am

I have been very impressed with Auelua, the guy is a monster.

I thought the hype surrounding Folau was a bit much and I agree his defence can be suspect, but he did chase down anscombe after he missed the tackle, what I like about Folau is he reminds me a lot of JP Pietersen when he runs.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Good side but I cannot understand someone who clearly watches a lot of Super rugby and chooses Smith in the first team...

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!

PS I would have JOC at 12, and Beale at 15, unless Beale isn't in the squad, maybe Cooper won't be either, in that case JOC at 10 and Mogg at FB.

Also unsure about Mowen at lock, havn't seen him play there, does he have the out and out brutality and strength, not to mention lineout nous??

If I were Deans I'd be looking at the Lions front row options and consider Moore too, as well as Alexander and Robinson for their experience, theyre going to need every ounce of that!!

Like I said, Mowen at 4 is controversial, but Dave Dennis disappointed badly in the bulls line outs.

I am not a fan of Smith, never have been, but his experience and nuisance vaule at the breakdown with Gill the young buck, will be phenominal.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 am

Biltong wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Good side but I cannot understand someone who clearly watches a lot of Super rugby and chooses Smith in the first team...

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!

Like I said, Mowen at 4 is controversial, but Dave Dennis disappointed badly in the bulls line outs.

I am not a fan of Smith, never have been, but his experience and nuisance vaule at the breakdown with Gill the young buck, will be phenominal.

Smith has been average at best, he's bouncing off rucks (the ones he actually gets too in time) and his skill set has deteriorated!! He is being lauded by commentators and Ausies as the same old player, he certainly is not, when he manages a steal, or penalty it's like he's thrown a 40 yard pass off his left!! He also gets credit for things he has no involvement in by commentators, I like him he is a decent player, and a bit of a legend but when your watching the commentators claiming his turnover led to a try when in the replay you clearly see him on the floor 15 yards from the current breakdown is crazy!!

It's only a matter of time before they give him the kicking duties!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 am

I thought Smith was very good against the Reds the last week... he was outsmarting their pack and making a number of breakdown stelas etc.

He toured SA very well also, experience here counts, away from home and he was standout vs. the Sharks. Even did very well vs the Stormers regardless of them losing... we just beat them up even though Smith got a lot of steals that night. He's putting in a lot of tackles also... looks very fresh.

Folau is not bad defensively... he just in unused to union rugby and positioning and has looked a little out of place at times. In attack sure he looks useful but if the Lions pick 2 smart wings in North and Bowe I think he could be a liability.

When they have options such as Taomane, Ioane, O'Connor, Mogg, Cummins I think they can view him as a luxury... if they win first 2 matches then I think they can throw him in for the dead rubber 3rd.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 am

Have to disagree re Smith, he looks off the pace, lightwieght and his experience is keeping him somewhat competitive.

The Brumbies are playing superbly, but right now they are carrying Smith a little, if Deans gets into the trap of selecting him it'll work out lovely for the lions IMHO!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 am

I like that team Bilts, just as said by blueman I'd have JOC at 12 and Beale at 15.

Shame Mitchell was injured and never got to play last year, I think he would have been a nailed on starter on the wing. Well at least if we saw him before he went away we would have known if he still could have played on the wing for us

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 am

I got to say the Wallaby pack doesn't scare me to be honest. I think the scrums will be relatively dominated by the Lions and I'd say the lineout will be even. I can see the Lions dominating the breakdown just through sheer power if they keep it tight.

I can not however, see a way through the Wallaby defense with the Lions squad picked. I think we can make yards in contact alright but I don't think we will be able to create line breaks. For this reason I think the Wallabies will win the series

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

Well they can always keep making the yards then go for penality tries, or kicks, just as good as any scything back line runs to win the games.

I do have respect for the Lions squad, think some posters here are a bit less than behind the side. I'm obviously hoping for a Wallaby win, well I'm predicting a Wallaby win, but the 1st test will probably tell us all

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am

Good selections there, Biltong.

Slipper's a Test LH so behind Robinson on the bench.
Kepu or TPN to fight out for possible bench spot.
Would really like to see Dan Palmer given a go instead of Alexander.
Simmons to partner Horwill. Timane/Douglas/Pyle would make a great impact subs there.
Prefer Higginbotham-Gill-Mowen at 6-7-8
I'd then have either Hooper, Auelua, McMeniman (depending on his form on return) or Smith coming off the bench. Then there's Palu.

I'm still torn about Issy. He definitely has to be in the 22. Best player under the high ball and a devastating runner. Not concerned about his defence... he can crunch opposition. AAC is the incumbent but I believe Folau would offer more. So probably best to start conservatively there and maybe bring him on after 55 mins... at either wing or centre.

The situation then arises who else will join him on the bench? We have a glut of world class backs here. Matt Toomua and Ben Tapuai must be very close to selection as well. Mogg should be a starter on current form but I think RD will stick with Beale if he comes up with some special performances in the coming weeks.

15. Beale
14. O'Connor
13. AAC
12. Lealiifano
11. Ioane
10. Cooper
9. Genia

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Higginbotham
7. Gill
8. Mowen

16. Slipper
17. Kepu
18. Timane / MMM?
19. Auelua / Hooper
20. Toomua
21. Folau
22. Mogg

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

I'm just pleased Faingaas are not in the picture any more, both I felt were too lightweight for test rugby.

Would you really rather Palmer over Alexander's experience and power? He and Robinson did I think made our best props a few years bac. Maybe as a sub I reckon.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 am

I'd go for Dunning purely for comedy value. If Smith is back in the running make the real dream comeback and have him stand back in the pocket for the drop goal. That way everyone can video it on their phones and Qantas can give a prize for the person who captures the best footage.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 am

Linebreaker wrote:
15. Beale
14. O'Connor
13. AAC
12. Lealiifano
11. Ioane
10. Cooper
9. Genia

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Higginbotham
7. Gill
8. Mowen

Pretty close to mine LB, bar one or two positional changes and Palmer and Simmons.

I don't have an issue with Simmons, though Alexander over Palmer for this series though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am

That'll be pure magic, Dunning's 2nd drop goal in his career winning the last game and the series for the Wallabies..... pure magic!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am

The Wallaby back 3 is looking seriously competitive this year. I think the starting wingers will be JOC and Ioane (although i wouldnt be surprised to see JOC moved into the centre.) with Mogg at FB. this leaves the likes of Falau, Beale, Davies (not everyone rates him but with his pace he will always be a threat) out of the starting 15. This is a real area of strength, thank god Speight isnt available as he looks outstanding.

I think one of the areas of weakness will be the centres. I have always rated AAC but he just doesnt scare me as a player. Lealiifano looks a class act if he can remain fit but he hasnt played that much rugby. McCabe appears a bit of a favourite of Deans, but i really dont rate him, and while Tapaui looks a good player too, i would not be scared at seeing his name in the starting 15.

9 and 10 will be Genia and cooper. Genia is hands down the best 9 around for me and when Cooper gets it right, he is sensational. When he is bad, he is shocking.

Backrow is another area of real strength. I seem to be in the minority on here in still thinking Smith is class. He does get more praise from the pundits than he deserves, but he is still such a nuisance at the breakdown that i think he deserves to start. I would go for Gill (outstanding player) as the other flanker with Higginbotham at 8 to add a bit of meaness that the aussies may lack. very tough to leave out the likes of Mowen and Hooper.

Second rows I would go with Simmons and horwill in the second row. Does anyone know if Timani is Australia qualified. He would be some impact sub with his power and ball carrying. His weight in the scrum would also help even if his skills probably arent the most well rounded.

Front row for me would be the two bens and moore. As always its not Australias strongest position but its not as weak as it has been previously

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu May 02, 2013 12:01 pm

OzT wrote:That'll be pure magic, Dunning's 2nd drop goal in his career winning the last game and the series for the Wallabies..... pure magic!

Just for you mate - the most unusual end to a team's playoff chances ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvMKkC1kjA
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:03 pm

AAC and McCabe are just good competent centres, reliable but nothing out of the ordinary. Samo for impact sub????

What we need to think about, and a concern for me, is a replacement number 9. Phipps had a go up here for the autumn games, maybe a bit early for the Lions series though. We need someone to get that backline going, though Phipps has a bit of bulk I guess

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks Pete, think we've all seen it a million times before and shouted Noooooooo a million times before, 1st time I seen a player so dejected after scoring!!! LOL!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

MDB wrote:The Wallaby back 3 is looking seriously competitive this year. I think the starting wingers will be JOC and Ioane (although i wouldnt be surprised to see JOC moved into the centre.) with Mogg at FB. this leaves the likes of Falau, Beale, Davies (not everyone rates him but with his pace he will always be a threat) out of the starting 15. This is a real area of strength, thank god Speight isnt available as he looks outstanding.

I think one of the areas of weakness will be the centres. I have always rated AAC but he just doesnt scare me as a player. Lealiifano looks a class act if he can remain fit but he hasnt played that much rugby. McCabe appears a bit of a favourite of Deans, but i really dont rate him, and while Tapaui looks a good player too, i would not be scared at seeing his name in the starting 15.

9 and 10 will be Genia and cooper. Genia is hands down the best 9 around for me and when Cooper gets it right, he is sensational. When he is bad, he is shocking.

Backrow is another area of real strength. I seem to be in the minority on here in still thinking Smith is class. He does get more praise from the pundits than he deserves, but he is still such a nuisance at the breakdown that i think he deserves to start. I would go for Gill (outstanding player) as the other flanker with Higginbotham at 8 to add a bit of meaness that the aussies may lack. very tough to leave out the likes of Mowen and Hooper.

Second rows I would go with Simmons and horwill in the second row. Does anyone know if Timani is Australia qualified. He would be some impact sub with his power and ball carrying. His weight in the scrum would also help even if his skills probably arent the most well rounded.

Front row for me would be the two bens and moore. As always its not Australias strongest position but its not as weak as it has been previously

Mate, Timani has already represented Australia last year, but he copped a lot of criticism for workrate.

Lealiifano has played the whole Super XV this year?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 pm

OzT wrote:Thanks Pete, think we've all seen it a million times before and shouted Noooooooo a million times before, 1st time I seen a player so dejected after scoring!!! LOL!!

When you look at his reaction, you might think it was an intented chipkick that went wrong, he wasn't intending it to bounce before striking it. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Looking forward to seeing how the Force get on against the Reds this weekend. They'll be keen to cause another upset and get some revenge for the thrashing they received against the Brumbies.

No Winston Stanley though, knee injury. But there is a chance the Honey badger will be playing. I fancy him at 14 for the Wallabies Biltong, if he can prove his fitness and find some form.

Force team sheet isn't up yet but I'll be interested to see if he's included.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Ha, I am infact suggesting an upset on the cards.

The force will be highly annoyed with their performance last weekend and will exact revenge on the reds.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Ah bilts, that just brought another question to mind. If an attacking player had caught a successful drop goal before it bounced and touched down, would it be a try or would the drop goal stand?

You'ld thought the drop stands but wonder if that has ever happened before?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Badger can run and swerve, but can he tackle???

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Doubt it mate, the drop is a score, so restart is from the halfway line.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 pm

I have always liked the Badger, but I like Folau's running more. what about badger at midfield?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm

oh no oh no oh no...... we need a proper centre, preferably one of AAC or McCabe to be sensible and to tackle!!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 pm

I know. But he has a cool hairstyle though. Whenever I see him I think, beach, surfboard, bikini babes.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Oz, Biltong. Yeah, Alexander will most likely start... was just throwing an idea out there with Palmer. Mightily impressed with him this year.

Also, so many possible combinations in the Wallaby forwards.

Do you go for the best technical scrummagers who may fall short at lineout time and in general loose play or a more mobile, ravenging/defensive pack who can punch holes too and more than hold their own in the loose but get shunted around in the scrums and set piece? Or even a bit of both in addition to our best options in the line out/scrum? Selecting the right balance of front row, locks and loosies is a real dilemma.

I'm sure we have the right players for each scenario / game situation... but when (and in some cases, where) to play whom... in the start, middle and towards the end of each match... depending on the scoreline. The bench selections will be crucial as always.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 pm

I think Deans will focus on having a front row that can gain parity and then pace, mobility, skill and work rate for the rest of the forwards
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah I suppose so. He's from Port Macquarie but you'd think he was from the northern beaches like Dee Why or some place like that.

Ungainly style of running but seemingly effective. didn't you compared him to Peterson earlier? Cause I think they're completely different. Peterson more a power version of that wee Welshman, who has retired, now what was his name again?????

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Running style, Petersen and Folau could be clones, 100% sure of that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Think we'll be foolish to solely pick the best technical scrummagers, cause i think we'll gain parity there anyway but not dominate, so we would be wasting players to fight a losing cause. Alexander is also good round the park, almost a winger.... well ok, maybe a bit fanciful there...

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm

A Winger? Laugh

Did you see that try scoring run from I think it was the Hurricanes prop a few weeks ago, caught the ball behind him, on the sideline, collected it with one hand, never stepped over the line, and blitzed through to the tryline at a pace akin to a TLB on an uphill?

Poetry in motion that was.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm

tracked or wheels???

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Laugh a coal car broke loose from it's tracks....

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Laugh Excellent
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 pm

AAC is best at 13 and not only is he a rock on defence but he is the back line general that organizes the defence like Smith for nz or Fourie for Sa. He may not be offensively as potent as others but one cannot underestimate his organizational abilities. Ever since the retirement of mortlock AAC has been filling that role and he loses that role when he's shifted to wing or fullback. As the lions will be looking to crash their way through the centres it's vital the Aussie line holds their line to keep the tall timber out wide without space.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes Sir, sorry Sir. AAC for 13 it is Sir. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

he's a kiwi bilts, don't listen to him, he's prob in cahoots with that other kiwi in charge of the wallabies to engineer a Lions win so they can have a laugh at their bigger cousins across the ditch...

Smile

But strangly enough I agree with him

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm

You not supposed to let him know, that we know. I know that and was appeasing him and lulling him into a false sense of security, but now he knows that we know what he knows.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm

oh, right, shhhhh it is then......... censored

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Too late..... Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey go with dunning over AAC! I don't mind!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Now HE's letting the cat out of the bag!!!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

That's too obvious Kia, subtlety, there in lies your success. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu May 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Don't worry I got my good Canterbury mate Robbie working from the inside.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Don't worry I got my good Canterbury mate Robbie working from the inside.

You enjoy that Kia but best keep it off the boards thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next