The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals

+10
SecretFly
flyhalffactory
Metal Tiger
thomh
gregortree
Cyril
GunsGerms
WELL-PAST-IT
whocares
pbuk0
14 posters

Go down

British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals Empty British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals

Post by pbuk0 Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 am

What would your lions team if they had a game next week, based on current form not reputation..
I would suggest that Healy, Hartley, Laws, O'Mahony, Murray, Care, Brown, Billy V, Kearney could all be in the mix...

Last edited by pbuk0 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals

Post by whocares Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:31 am

a "Lions team on form" thread ! been a while Smile

British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals 1347041234 

whocares

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Team based on first 2 Rounds of 6 nations and Autumn Internationals

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:37 am

You certainly wouldn't be seeing some many of the boys in red.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 am

I love these threads. They always attract a hoard of poster who will bleat about how pointless such a thread is.

I think Sexton would be nailed on 10 and Schmidt nailed on coach. North, Burrell, and Healy would be hard to leave out too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 am

Oooh somebody missed 'Irish' out of the title boxing

Farrell to start at 10 obvs.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 am

Cyril wrote:Oooh somebody missed 'Irish' out of the title boxing

Farrell to start what at 10? His day when he is left at home in England? Just kidding, Im sure he will make the bench again.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:50 am

BOD is first name on the timesheet.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 am

gregortree wrote:BOD is first name on the timesheet.
Timesheet? Is it BOD o'clock again already?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 am

gregortree wrote:BOD is first name on the timesheet.

loosehead prop?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril wrote:Oooh somebody missed 'Irish' out of the title boxing

Farrell to start what at 10? His day when he is left at home in England? Just kidding, Im sure he will make the bench again.
 Very Happy I want him there to wind you up with his 'place-kick face' Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 am

Cyril wrote: Very Happy I want him there to wind you up with his 'place-kick face' Wink

Oh you know me too well. Haha

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 am

I always enjoy these threads. People complain about them but they're just an entertaining exercise in debating who the form players are in each position. No-one is suggesting this will be the same in 3 years time.

For the moment:

1. Healy. Marler has been playing well but Healy's carrying is a notch above. Neither have made a really big statement in the scrum yet.
2. Hartley. Can't argue with 20/20 in the lineout and everything else has been strong. His forced summer off seems to have done him good. The lineout chaos when replaced by Youngs, a Lions test starter, three games running shows how important he is. Best is also playing well. Hibbard and Ford are not.
3. ???
4. Lawes
5. O'Connell The two most productive locks so far. They're both lineout leaders, but not at the expense of any other aspects of play, so it wouldn't be an unbalanced partnership. Both brilliant tacklers, carriers etc as well.
6. O'Mahony. Great against Wales.
7. Robshaw. Pretty great against everyone always. Honourable mention to Fusaro, who looked handy against us on debut.
8. Vunipola. Been carrying brilliantly, and no one wants him on the opposition team-sheet. Edges Heaslip.

9. Care Unarguable so far I think.
10. Sexton Ditto.
11. North. Wales haven't given him the platform yet, but at Northampton he's been playing very well, and none of the other wingers have done enough to select them ahead of him here yet.
12. Roberts or Twelvetrees through lack of other options, though neither are setting the world alight for their clubs either. Ireland don't have a nailed on first choice right now, and Scott was poor against England.
13. Burrell. O'Driscoll wasn't one of Ireland's better players against Wales, and Burrell looks like taking to test rugby well, albeit short of one or two yards of pace.
14. Trimble. Odd that it's taken him 50-odd caps to suddenly hit form. Always liked him for Ulster but didn't seem to do it for Ireland before. Made one great run against Wales.
15. Brown. The form full back by quite a way. His Quins performances between the AIs and 6Ns weren't so good, but he's kept it up for England.

I've only really mentioned club form where there isn't a standout performer at international level so far.

5 Irish, 7.5 English, 1.5 Welsh and a missing tighthead prop.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:09 am

Honestly?

A Lions thread 3 years out?

The only thing I'm prepared to predict is there won't be a lot of scots on the tour based on current form... maybe Denton.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:11 am

Metal Tiger wrote:Honestly?

The only thing I'm prepared to predict is there won't be a lot of scots on the tour based on current form... maybe Denton.

Yessssssssssssssss. Knew someone would complain. The thread assumes hypothetically that the Lions team is to be picked now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 am

15 Hogg
14 Cuthbert
13 Dunbar
12 Roberts
11 Lamont
10 Barry John
9 Laidlaw
8 Faletau
7 Fusaro
6 Lydiate
5 Hamilton
4 Coombs
3 Low
2 Hibbard
1 Grant

Bench cover 16-23 James Hook (damn he still cannae make the team)

Scott Johnson to be Lions coach, and Neil Jenkins to be Lions Manager.... and Water Boy..... and Lemon Carrier

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:35 am; edited 3 times in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 am

Who are the British Lions?... never heard of em.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:Honestly?

Yessssssssssssssss. Knew someone would complain. The thread assumes hypothetically that the Lions team is to be picked now.

Perhaps you can outline where I have complained about the thread?

Surprised... Yes.

Complaining... No.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:51 am

I think the Irish are feeling a bit left out pBuk0. Something missing in your title.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:54 am

Yeah, there are far too many Irish men on those British Lions Teams lists.

Treason will be the sentence for some of them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 am

thomh wrote:I always enjoy these threads. People complain about them but they're just an entertaining exercise in debating who the form players are in each position. No-one is suggesting this will be the same in 3 years time.

For the moment:

1. Healy. Marler has been playing well but Healy's carrying is a notch above. Neither have made a really big statement in the scrum yet.
2. Hartley. Can't argue with 20/20 in the lineout and everything else has been strong. His forced summer off seems to have done him good. The lineout chaos when replaced by Youngs, a Lions test starter, three games running shows how important he is. Best is also playing well. Hibbard and Ford are not.
3. ???
4. Lawes
5. O'Connell The two most productive locks so far. They're both lineout leaders, but not at the expense of any other aspects of play, so it wouldn't be an unbalanced partnership. Both brilliant tacklers, carriers etc as well.
6. O'Mahony. Great against Wales.
7. Robshaw. Pretty great against everyone always. Honourable mention to Fusaro, who looked handy against us on debut.
8. Vunipola. Been carrying brilliantly, and no one wants him on the opposition team-sheet. Edges Heaslip.

9. Care Unarguable so far I think.
10. Sexton Ditto.
11. North. Wales haven't given him the platform yet, but at Northampton he's been playing very well, and none of the other wingers have done enough to select them ahead of him here yet.
12. Roberts or Twelvetrees through lack of other options, though neither are setting the world alight for their clubs either. Ireland don't have a nailed on first choice right now, and Scott was poor against England.
13. Burrell. O'Driscoll wasn't one of Ireland's better players against Wales, and Burrell looks like taking to test rugby well, albeit short of one or two yards of pace.
14. Trimble. Odd that it's taken him 50-odd caps to suddenly hit form. Always liked him for Ulster but didn't seem to do it for Ireland before. Made one great run against Wales.
15. Brown. The form full back by quite a way. His Quins performances between the AIs and 6Ns weren't so good, but he's kept it up for England.

I've only really mentioned club form where there isn't a standout performer at international level so far.

5 Irish, 7.5 English, 1.5 Welsh and a missing tighthead prop.

I would pick almost the same team...

1- Healey
2- Hartley
3- Cole/ Ross / Jones.. none have impressed
4- Laws
5- AWJ
6- O'Mahony
7- Robshaw
8- Billy V
9- Care
10- Sexton
11- North
12- Jamie Roberts
13- Burrell
14- Trimble
15 - Brown

7- English 4- Irish 3 - Welsh  ... plus any of the tight heads..  only 5 of the team played in the lions tests last summer..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 am

I don't get the Brown love. He hasn't been that good.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I think the Irish are feeling a bit left out pBuk0. Something missing in your title.

Doh

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 am

GunsGerms wrote:I don't get the Brown love. He hasn't been that good.
He got Man of the Match over the weekend, even with a bad cold. Gets my vote Smile

He first felt poorly on the train journey up to Edinburgh and he said: "I think I caught a bug through the air-con when travelling up here. I didn't sleep too well on Friday night and I have a really sore throat now.

"I've had the shakes and you know when you're ill you are sensitive to every little knock and the cold. It wasn't ideal but you have to do what you can do.

"I dosed up on paracetamol and all the things you are allowed to take. But the throat is definitely really sore now.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/9158462/six-nations-mike-brown-says-murrayfield-pitch-unfit-for-internationals

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 am

GunsGerms wrote:I don't get the Brown love. He hasn't been that good.

When he plays you guys you will, don't worry.

It's not an absolute rule, but generally when the rest of the rugby world (sensible people, not journalists) thinks one thing and you another, you are the one who is mistaken Hug
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:13 am

Sorry I just wanted to put "Brown love" into a sentence. Seriously though he isn't that good. He is lauded for his attacking prowess but two trys in over 20 tests isn't particularly potent. Id take Kearney over him any day.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 am

GunsGerms wrote:Sorry I just wanted to put "Brown love" into a sentence. Seriously though he isn't that good. He is lauded for his attacking prowess but two trys in over 20 tests isn't particularly potent. Id take Kearney over him any day.

But 2 tries in 2 tests is quite good, no?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:20 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Sorry I just wanted to put "Brown love" into a sentence. Seriously though he isn't that good. He is lauded for his attacking prowess but two trys in over 20 tests isn't particularly potent. Id take Kearney over him any day.

But 2 tries in 2 tests is quite good, no?

Yes it is. Bet he wont score v Ireland though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 am

Yes he will Smile sportsman bet. If he does, you will admit on a thread that you were wrong, Brown is not overrated and is an exceptionally good FB. If he does not (statistically far more likely so the bet is in your favour), I will post a thread saying I was wrong, Brown is not as good as I think he is and Kearney is a better player. Deal?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:32 am

As we've already seen last year, form has nothing to do with selection - it's all to do with who the coach's favourites are.

If Lancaster is coach then there is bound to be at least 12 Englishmen starting.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

dont put lancaster in the same boat as gatland.

gatball just about scraped it vs australia (with a decent 10 in sexton) but would get ANNIHILATED by SA or NZ.

i think SL would pick the best players for the job. He doesnt seem to have a rigid strategy yet, apart from subbing all the best players on 60mins  picard 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 am

quinsforever wrote:dont put lancaster in the same boat as gatland.

gatball just about scraped it vs australia (with a decent 10 in sexton) but would get ANNIHILATED by SA or NZ.

i think SL would pick the best players for the job. He doesnt seem to have a rigid strategy yet, apart from subbing all the best players on 60mins  picard 

Yeah, but asLionscoach he'd have decent subs...

Much as I hate to admit it, Gatland probably had the right idea in picking a core team who were familiar with each other and supplementing it with players who added something more. I just feel that he took too many out-of-form or just-back-from-injury Welshmen, and focused on players from the other nations who could play in the Welsh way, rather than add a different angle. It's very telling that it took the addition of Corbs and SOB - not at all Gatland style players - to secure a convincing win. Oh, and a NH ref.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down