The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced

+27
mankiaow
t1000advancedprototype
Notch
ME-109
aucklandlaurie
The Great Aukster
Taffineastbourne
thebluesmancometh
100%beefy
Metal Tiger
MrsP
screamingaddabs
fa0019
SecretFly
funnyExiledScot
RubyGuby
Scrumpy
Luckless Pedestrian
Geordie
GunsGerms
flyhalffactory
dragonbreath
Gretgael1
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
Newsilure
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced  - Page 2 Empty We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced

Post by Newsilure Thu 02 May 2013, 10:01 am

First topic message reminder :

This board shows a lot of people looking at the Lions through blue, red, green or white tainted glasses. Thats normal I am the same when the Welsh squad/team is announced, I always count the number of Scarlets, Ospreys, Blues, Dragons ... and French players and mutter if the entire Blues team isn't selected(no honestly I am not that stupid!). But when the Welsh team goes out on the park I'm Welsh and when the Britsish Lions team goes out on the park I will be British and 100% behind all of them.

There have been Lions tours in the past when few Welshmen made the starting line up and I didn't find that any reason not to enjoy watching them..... This time I think English and Scottish fans will need to take a deep breath and try and do the same as in my opinion there may not be any players from either country in the starting 15 although there will be lots on the bench.

If we picked on form today, and a lot might change during the tour then -

Front row would be 3 Welsh or 2 Welsh and Healey
Second row POC and a Welshman
Back row will be any 3 from Heaslip, Toby, SOB, Warburton and Tuperic
Phillips, Sexton, Roberts, BOD,
Back 3 will be any 3 from Bowe, North, Cuthbert, Halfpenny and Kearney

Croft, Gray, Parling and Vunipola have the best chance of breaking this Welsh/Irish monopoly

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced  - Page 2 Empty Re: We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 2:54 pm

FA, who did you support in 2009?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced  - Page 2 Empty Re: We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced

Post by GunsGerms Thu 02 May 2013, 2:55 pm

Biltong wrote:FA, who did you support in 2009?

SA I bet

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 02 May 2013, 2:58 pm

Biltong wrote:FA, who did you support in 2009?

mate no question... the lions. In 50 years time it will still be so unless junior wears the green and gold one day.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 3:00 pm

Sad, mate.

Do you eat biltong?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:01 pm

thinking about buying myself a biltong dryer to make my own.... you got one?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Thu 02 May 2013, 3:15 pm

SecretFly wrote:Nice of you to mention it Ruby. Smile I feel I'll have to prod a lot of people though between now and the end that The Lions ain't Team GB. Some never seem to work out the difference.

Anyway, tally ho The Lions.

Sorry SecretFly my enthusiasm for us being a united team overcame my slight knowledge of geography/polotics .... in future I will say we all need to unite and be Lions(that sounds good)

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 02 May 2013, 3:24 pm

Fly - in all honesty I haven't a clue what being British is about (no offence) - I'm just stuck with being welsh unfortunately and when they come down the tunnell and play my heart beats a 1000 times to the minute - When the Lions play; I'm interested and supportive but nothing moves me like my country thumbsup

Shix, we're not even represented on the British Flag thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu 02 May 2013, 3:36 pm

You do all realise that by the time the fiirst test comes round there will be different people in the squad (due to injuries) some players will have hit form in warm ups and training and others will have dropped off?

In short, the best team that you can pick from the squad chosen at this moment in time is highly unlikely to be the team that turns out for the first test and certainly won't be the one for the 3rd test.

Kitson wrote in the paper the other day something along the lines of: Recall the two centres for the third test in SA 2009? Roberts and O'Driscoll? Nope, it was Flutey and Tommy Bowe.

In 2009 Croft wasn't even selected until Quinlan dropped out and ended up starting all 3 tests (I think).

So yeah, discuss the merits of the squad, but as the OP says, get behind the lions and take off the national blinkers.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 02 May 2013, 3:46 pm

I am usually a huge Lions fan but I have to admit that there are some on that squad that I do not want representing me. This isn't just about X getting picked ahead of Y, although I will admit that there is some of that. It is more that I don't want X representing me and I feel X shows none of the qualities I associate with that great tradition.

Maybe I will feel differently nearer the time?

I feel bad about it as I remember berating some of the Scots last time for not getting behind the squad. I do feel that my disillusionment has a different scource though.

Crying or Very sad

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 02 May 2013, 3:48 pm

I feel the same about Hartley too MrsP - You're not alone there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 02 May 2013, 3:51 pm

Screaming

I will for one be rootingtooting and screaming all over for the Lions as will most of my brethren, however the OP didn't just say lets support a united team, he banged on about form and then selected a mass of Welshmen..... his comment of "POC and a Welshman" clearly indicated his mindset.

We all know that by 1st test there could be injuries.... changes in form, format of the side etc. But fundamentally we want the strongest possible Lions selection based on the fact we are playing a SH side in their own country over what 10 weeks, and if that meant no scots then so be it and we would still be supporting them thro thick and thin. Unfortunately its not the case

Two 10s and no utility players, and suggesting that a 20 yr old scot can cover 13 and 10 is in all honesty ludicrous. With that rationale the rest of the selection howlers are annoying but just not surprising.

I have been on 3 lions tours as a supporter, if I had booked this time I would be a pretty miffed guy.

Right that's my rant over with regards to the Lions, I have said too much already on these boards. All the best to a united Lions this summer clap
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 02 May 2013, 3:57 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Fly - in all honesty I haven't a clue what being British is about... Shix, we're not even represented on the British Flag thumbsup

That's because Wales is a principality of England... Similar to the Isle of Mann in that respect Whistle
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 02 May 2013, 4:01 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Fly - in all honesty I haven't a clue what being British is about... Shix, we're not even represented on the British Flag thumbsup

That's because Wales is a principality of England... Similar to the Isle of Mann in that respect Whistle

Spoken like a true Brit thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 02 May 2013, 4:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Actually I do consider myself to be British... but the best thing is that for 10 weeks I get to be British & Irish and cheer on the Lions!!!

I will be screaming my lungs out supporting whoever is picked to tour & play.

What I don't need is idoitic welsh people constantly mocking everyone elses players & nationalities because they are better represented in the squad. And I have to apologise to the majority of the decent Welsh posters on here for that remark.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 02 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Tiger - All I see on here are people mocking a young Captain - Indeed there are whole threads given up to it thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 02 May 2013, 5:13 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Newsilure wrote:This board shows a lot of people looking at the Lions through blue, red, green or white tainted glasses. Thats normal I am the same when the Welsh squad/team is announced, I always count the number of Scarlets, Ospreys, Blues, Dragons ... and French players and mutter if the entire Blues team isn't selected(no honestly I am not that stupid!). But when the Welsh team goes out on the park I'm Welsh and when the Britsish Lions team goes out on the park I will be British and 100% behind all of them.

There have been Lions tours in the past when few Welshmen made the starting line up and I didn't find that any reason not to enjoy watching them..... This time I think English and Scottish fans will need to take a deep breath and try and do the same as in my opinion there may not be any players from either country in the starting 15 although there will be lots on the bench.

Croft, Gray, Parling and Vunipola have the best chance of breaking this Welsh/Irish monopoly

You don't watch much rugby maybe

If we picked on CURRENT FORM (i.e. looking at the Heino Cup, AP, PRO12, TOP14) then Wilkinson, Grant, Ken Owens, Brown, and Barclay would be starting

But if you pick the players who have actually been selected...... on their CURRENT FORM or ABILITY the following would be picked

Front Row
Healy, Youngs, Jones

Locks
POC, Gray

Back Row
Lydiate, Warburton, Heaslip

Halfbacks
Phillips, Sexton

Centres
Davies, BOD (or Tualagi)

Wings
North, Bowe

FB
Hogg

That's
6 Welsh
6 Irish (5 if Tualagi is chosen)
2 Scots
2 English (1 if BOD is chosen)

fhf standard answer for anyone disagrees with his banging the current form drum!

Course not fhf, the poster is on a rugby forum, no reason he would watch much rugby picard

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 02 May 2013, 6:04 pm

100%beefy wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
Newsilure wrote:This board shows a lot of people looking at the Lions through blue, red, green or white tainted glasses. Thats normal I am the same when the Welsh squad/team is announced, I always count the number of Scarlets, Ospreys, Blues, Dragons ... and French players and mutter if the entire Blues team isn't selected(no honestly I am not that stupid!). But when the Welsh team goes out on the park I'm Welsh and when the Britsish Lions team goes out on the park I will be British and 100% behind all of them.

If we picked on CURRENT FORM (i.e. looking at the Heino Cup, AP, PRO12, TOP14) then Wilkinson, Grant, Ken Owens, Brown, and Barclay would be starting

But if you pick the players who have actually been selected...... on their CURRENT FORM or ABILITY the following would be picked

Front Row
Healy, Youngs, Jones

Locks
POC, Gray

Back Row

Halfbacks
Phillips, Sexton

Centres
Davies, BOD (or Tualagi)

Wings
North, Bowe

FB
Hogg

That's
6 Welsh
2 Scots

fhf standard answer for anyone disagrees with his banging the current form drum!

Course not fhf, the poster is on a rugby forum, no reason he would watch much rugby picard

As usual the poster has more than 2 lines and some reasoning and analysis behind his statements
I challenge his rationale with some sort of analysis to provide some sort of meat on the bone
,,,,,,,,, and then there is you......... two lines that make no sense at all Tumbleweed
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 6:39 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:

Actually I do consider myself to be British... but the best thing is that for 10 weeks I get to be British & Irish and cheer on the Lions!!!

What I don't need is idoitic welsh people constantly mocking everyone elses players & nationalities because they are better represented in the squad. And I have to apologise to the majority of the decent Welsh posters on here for that remark.

I'm sorry but first we're nasty and bitter regarding certain surprise English players, now we're idiotic and mocking because we're better represented.

Why is it since the selection I have heard nothing but anti Wales comments from every angle??? I really think we need to stop this and recognise that it doesn't matter how many of your boys got selected they are one now, as we all are under the Lions banner.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 02 May 2013, 7:31 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:

I'm sorry but first we're nasty and bitter regarding certain surprise English players, now we're idiotic and mocking because we're better represented.

Why is it since the selection I have heard nothing but anti Wales comments from every angle??? I really think we need to stop this and recognise that it doesn't matter how many of your boys got selected they are one now, as we all are under the Lions banner.

Look blues...first cheap shot on a Welsh guy by an Aussie (I mean during a game) and it'll be all in and all for one Wink

Paulie will be in, Maitland will be in and Hartley will be in. Getting Hartley out again might be a problem but they'll be all in to back up the Welsh guy. I think those games are going to have to happen first before the gelling happens though. Until then just grin and bear the slagging and fretting about numbers and positions - wouldn't be a Lions tour unless there was bellyaching and mud slinging about representation.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 02 May 2013, 9:48 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
100%beefy wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Front Row
Healy, Youngs, Jones

Locks
POC, Gray

Back Row

Halfbacks
Phillips, Sexton

Centres
Davies, BOD (or Tualagi)

Wings
North, Bowe

FB
Hogg

That's
6 Welsh
2 Scots

As usual the poster has more than 2 lines and some reasoning and analysis behind his statements
I challenge his rationale with some sort of analysis to provide some sort of meat on the bone
,,,,,,,,, and then there is you......... two lines that make no sense at all Tumbleweed

er no you didn't....you preceded your post with a completely patronising put down, suggesting the poster didn't watch much rugby...how the hell do you know? this after having gone on and on about Brown and 'form' for days on end which was never Gatland's biggest concern. seems like it is you who doesn't watch much rugby.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 02 May 2013, 9:51 pm

So current forn in April for a series starting at the end of June.Ah,I see.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 9:55 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Look blues...first cheap shot on a Welsh guy by an Aussie (I mean during a game) and it'll be all in and all for one Wink

How about I take a cheap shot now (even I am not an Aussie) , can we not save time by getting all of you be all for one and one for all from today? Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 May 2013, 10:10 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:

Are you taking the p*ss?! Wales hasn't been a principality since 1536! What a WUM. You'll be claiming the Republic of Ireland is part of Britain next!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 02 May 2013, 10:11 pm

Biltong wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

How about I take a cheap shot now (even I am not an Aussie) , can we not save time by getting all of you be all for one and one for all from today? Wink

We're not all for one...we're a ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest - for a shining planet known as Oz.

We're a mongrel breed,the progeny of four bickering parents and a few test tubes.
We stick together like oil and water mostly.

So, in the first few weeks we tend to kill each other in 'friendly fire' incidents in the build up to the war - when the war starts unity of sorts happens by osmosis in that we begin to offer each other cigarettes and offer cover fire for Scottish or Welsh commandos advancing on Oz lines. How vicious the war is dictates how close the bonds become.

But there'll be no 'all for one' today, tomorrow or next week. Operational manoeuvres have to begin first.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 02 May 2013, 10:12 pm

I am siding with the Scots now as I find that I actually predicted 4 Scots would be picked and I find three to be grossly unfair!I thought I had predicted 3 but not for the first time I was wrong.Mind,I had picked four Scottish lads and not a second hand kiwi.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 10:15 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Biltong wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

We're not all for one...we're a ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest - for a shining planet known as Oz.

We're a mongrel breed,the progeny of four bickering parents and a few test tubes.
We stick together like oil and water mostly.

So, in the first few weeks we tend to kill each other in 'friendly fire' incidents in the build up to the war - when the war starts unity of sorts happens by osmosis in that we begin to offer each other cigarettes and offer cover fire for Scottish or Welsh commandos advancing on Oz lines. How vicious the war is dictates how close the bonds become.

But there'll be no 'all for one' today, tomorrow or next week. Operational manoeuvres have to begin first.
so I take it you are declining my offer and insist on making it a long haul for the mods. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 02 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I am siding with the Scots now as I find that I actually predicted 4 Scots would be picked and I find three to be grossly unfair!I thought I had predicted 3 but not for the first time I was wrong.Mind,I had picked four Scottish lads and not a second hand kiwi.

Until Scotland dominate the 6 nations i think that only their very best and the odd import, will make the grade.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 02 May 2013, 10:55 pm

"We all need to become Lions fans or there could be a lot of unhappiness when the first test team is announced"

Why?

This loser thinking is yet another manifestation of why the Lions are bad for NH rugby. Does anyone really believe that an All Black would put any other team ahead of playing for NZ, or a Bok for SA? What about their fans?
NH teams wonder how they can catch up with their SH counterparts and then in the same breath espouse the merits of a team that is divisive in selection and undermines their National side? Far from unhappiness, sensible posters should be delighted if they see no representation on the team sheet.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 02 May 2013, 11:04 pm

C'Mon Aussie C'Mon....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 02 May 2013, 11:10 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
C'Mon Aussie C'Mon....

The Anzac'n'Bok Lions?

Try it sometime Wink That'd pretty much stop you in your chant, I reckon...especially immediately after the touring party was announced! Whistle

Indeed, I propose that very plan. The Lions of Europe should meet the Lions of SH, with all the pre-interfighting team selection fallout to get everyone in the right mood Laugh

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 02 May 2013, 11:14 pm

interesting point Fly:

Lions only come from South Africa, dont they?

We might have to cross breed a Kangaroo, a Lion and a Kiwi.......A Kangaliwi perhaps.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 02 May 2013, 11:18 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

We might have to cross breed a Kangaroo, a Lion and a Kiwi.......A Kangaliwi perhaps.

Interesting concept and accurately reflective of the futility of trying to produce a hybrid that simply dilutes the strengths of the individual components.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 02 May 2013, 11:23 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

Interesting concept and accurately reflective of the futility of trying to produce a hybrid that simply dilutes the strengths of the individual components.

Much like a rugby team composed of players from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 02 May 2013, 11:29 pm

100%beefy wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
100%beefy wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Front Row
Healy, Youngs, Jones

Locks
POC, Gray

Back Row

Halfbacks
Phillips, Sexton

Centres
Davies, BOD (or Tualagi)

Wings
North, Bowe

FB
Hogg

That's
6 Welsh
2 Scots

er no you didn't....you preceded your post with a completely patronising put down, suggesting the poster didn't watch much rugby...how the hell do you know? this after having gone on and on about Brown and 'form' for days on end which was never Gatland's biggest concern. seems like it is you who doesn't watch much rugby.

The reason I queried does he watch much rugby is that he stated form TODAY = NOW, not FEB/MAR....... now if you look at the last say FOUR WEEKS

What has been the form over the last four weeks of say

1/2p............ v
Liam Williams when the Blues played the Scarlets, oooh yes now 1/2p when playing for his region is a totally different FB.... ahem no because Williams outplayed him not just in defence but attacked at will (very much like Hogg has been doing all season)
or compared to
Leigh Byrne who has been playing superb in a very good CA side who are now in the HC final

or what about
Roberts playing for the Blues.... NUFF SAID

or what about Tips
v Warburton when the Blues played the Os
v Barclay when the following week when the Os played Glasgow
or even more relevant
compared to Kelly Brown performances not just in the 6Ns but from then on with Sarries right up to the semi HC

Or what about the form of
Ken Owens v Glasgow...... awesome performance compared to Hibbard v Glasgow

or what about the form of
R Grant (did you see his game against Adam Jones) v G Jenkins performances for Toulon

and yet the OP didn't even state the Welshmen just who were going to play just that Welshmen will be playing and Scots and English will not.

The Ospreys but for the form of the Hibbard, Jones, AWJ, Ianto, Tips (to an extent) should be now in the play-offs..... Biggar has been one of the few Welshmen who have carried their 6Ns form on through to Lions selection

I mean if he said "based on the 6Ns form" I would kinda agree with him, but not when he states "form as of today" and in the same breath selects ELEVEN Welshmen to start the test

I'll ask again
"have you watched rugby in the last 4-5 weeks?"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 02 May 2013, 11:33 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

Much like a rugby team composed of players from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales....

You forgot to mention that they usually lose as well..on the rare occasions they do actually succeed it spawns boring tv programs that are repeated endlessly

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 02 May 2013, 11:42 pm

DOD wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

You forgot to mention that they usually lose as well..on the rare occasions they do actually succeed it spawns boring tv programs that are repeated endlessly

The marketeers are having to find a way to sell the losing series as well, the last winning VHS is nearly worn out now.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 02 May 2013, 11:53 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
DOD wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

The marketeers are having to find a way to sell the losing series as well, the last winning VHS is nearly worn out now.

I would bet there are a lot of worried folk in the organization at the moment. What if Aus are abject and it becomes a walkover...how will they engineer a close series with some excitement.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 03 May 2013, 12:01 am

SecretFly wrote:

Paulie will be in, Maitland will be in and Hartley will be in. Getting Hartley out again might be a problem but they'll be all in to back up the Welsh guy.

Hartley will be in, Hartley will be in, Hartley will be in, Hartley will eat the biscuits and then get the next plane home.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri 03 May 2013, 12:07 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Ireland were mince in the 6N. 2nd last is where they finished! So why should they make up a 50-50 squad with Wales to form the Lions? Is that because they were the only team to beat Wales?

From a Scottish perspective I can see all 3 of our current tourists making the Test XXIII.

Ireland's six nations has NOTHING to do with it.

Ireland's best players:

POC
Sexton
Bowe
BOD

The first 3 hardly featured in the 6N.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri 03 May 2013, 12:16 am

The argument about recent form is irrelevant.

International form is what matters. Players play differently when playing for rubbish regional sides playing along and against substandard opposition.

How their recent international form is what matters and how they play with other international players and combinations.

We all know how good these lions are individually and we know how much they will raise their game.

MIKE PHILLIPS: Match winner, game changer, passion, aggression and intensity.
POC: Born winner, Lions expert, inspirational
HALFPENNY: Never plays bad, puts body on the line
BOD: He is the lions
ROBERTS: Lions man of the series
WARBURTON: Double grandslam winner and captain
ADAM JONES: 4 six nations titles, 3 grandslams, 4 celtic leagues

You need characters like this in your side come lions time.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 03 May 2013, 12:54 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:The argument about recent form is irrelevant.

International form is what matters
. Players play differently when playing for rubbish regional sides playing along and against substandard opposition.

How their recent international form is what matters and how they play with other international players and combinations.

We all know how good these lions are individually and we know how much they will raise their game.

Funny because that's not what Gatland has stated or how he has selected when he asked Wilkinson to tour because of his form only last week in the HC semi, when he picked POC Lydiate Bowe Stevens etc etc etc picard picard

What like Wales played last year in the very same place AUSTRALIA and against the very same nation AUSTRALIA.... remind me how they performed? did they win a game? perhaps it was an astounding win? close draw maybe? narrow 2-1 loss no? oh sorry it was a 3-0 whitewash, oh never mind it was against one of the best fully fit Aussie side yes?.......... Oh sorry I thought you said these players can and are used to winning international games

Ahhhhh I see what you are getting at now............. Selective memory syndrome

Let me jog it for you

2012 Grand Slam champions
then
8 (That's EIGHT) losses on the bounce ahem I wonder how many were against SH teams, more importantly how did they do against Australia
then
2013 6Ns chumps sorry champs

Yes that's what after 4 years a lot of us have been waiting for
The form coach Shaun Edwards not selected and
The form players not been selected
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 03 May 2013, 1:19 am

. Players play differently when playing for rubbish regional sides playing along and against substandard opposition.

thank fork someone gets it, fhf take note

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 03 May 2013, 1:42 am

100%beefy wrote:

thank fork someone gets it, fhf take note

Think we should rename you from 100%beefy to "1linebeefy"
Tumbleweed

By the way
I would play POC Warbs Jones BOD Phillips in the test side anyway but not for the reasons Mr Poll Creator has highlighted but because they are the current best options
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Fri 03 May 2013, 5:24 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
interesting point Fly:

What would be interesting would be if Gatland was to field 14 Welsh players plus say, Sexton, and they won. How would that victory be percieved given that Wales have failed to overcome Oz in their last six attempts.

So your criticism of the concept falls down if the Lions win any of the tests. Which is distinctly possible.

What is it with the term 'Lions' anyway. Surely a team from these islands should be represented by and indigenous animal.....Stags(sorry Munster), Bears or maybe Wolves........or Woolly Mammoths!

Some bright spark tried to brand Leinster as Lions because the Irish word for Leinster is pronounced like lion......that didn't last long, thankfully.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 03 May 2013, 6:30 am

Dont worry Mankiow, as a number of players and the coach dont come from Geat Britain, Why should the mascot?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 03 May 2013, 6:38 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

Funny because that's not what Gatland has stated or how he has selected when he asked Wilkinson to tour because of his form only last week in the HC semi, when he picked POC Lydiate Bowe Stevens etc etc etc picard picard

What like Wales played last year in the very same place AUSTRALIA and against the very same nation AUSTRALIA.... remind me how they performed? did they win a game? perhaps it was an astounding win? close draw maybe? narrow 2-1 loss no? oh sorry it was a 3-0 whitewash, oh never mind it was against one of the best fully fit Aussie side yes?.......... Oh sorry I thought you said these players can and are used to winning international games

Let me jog it for you

then
8 (That's EIGHT) losses on the bounce ahem I wonder how many were against SH teams, more importantly how did they do against Australia
then

Sour grapes from a Jock. picard
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 03 May 2013, 7:57 am

People can speculate all they like over who will start the first test vs aus. But there is no way of knowing who will start. They have 6 games before the first test I believe, so I'm sure those games will decide who's starting. It'll give gats a chance to test out likes of POC, lydiate, Gray, sexton and bowe who are all just back from injury. And look at on form players such as Hogg, 1/2p, Maitland, tiperic, Heaslip etc.

Lets not forget, Gatland said he would feel uncomfortable presenting a starting XV with a nation missing. So lions fans should all expect a side with at least one player from their country available.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 03 May 2013, 10:04 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

Let me jog it for you

then
then

I will remind you how they performed,they performed pretty damn well.Why not try watching the games.Scorelines like stats don't always tell the whole story.
I cannot decide whether you are wumming or not as I question your anti-Wales and anti-Lions stance.Surely we should all get behind the team.If you are not interested then why keep banging on?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 03 May 2013, 10:43 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Let me jog it for you

then
then

Sour grapes from a Jock. picard
Rainbow Warrior
The man with naff all to say........ so spouts a one-liner which makes us all smile from time to time
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 03 May 2013, 11:09 am

[quote="Taffineastbourne"][quote="flyhalffactory"]
t1000advancedprototype wrote:[b]I cannot decide whether you are wumming or not as I question your anti-Wales and anti-Lions stance.Surely we should all get behind the team.If you are not interested then why keep banging on?

Taff / T1000 / Rainbow Warrior
I have been on three Lions tour that's taking time off work and spending a lot of dough (to watch mostly Welsh, English and Irish players over the last 20 yrs) all of which have had little Scottish representation and that has not mattered one iota. So don't attempt to suggest I am anti-Lions...... or anti-Welsh as I have worked in the country for a total of five years off and on, and made sure when I was down there in the working week I made a point of going to every Os home game or Scarlets home game. How many Lions games have you guys been to or how many regional games have you watched in the last five years?. Its because I am a massive Lions supporter that I am dismayed at the last weeks activities...and yes I will be there up watching the boys burning the midnight oil.

I am replying to posters who have stated that Lions selection policy is based entirely on international representation (to prove why the Welsh boys got selected) so when I challenge that by asking them to explain why then so many players who have either been long-term injured (Bowe, Lydiate, POC etc) or retired from international duty (Wilko, Stevens etc) have been selected they resort to the lowest common denominator and throw their toys out of the pram.
What they in fact mean is selective international games i.e. 6Ns... what utter drivel.

In fact most of the queries on the forum of Gatlands picks are not about Wales or Welsh players but its about selection policy e.g.
* two 10s with no utility cover of the pivotal role, yet selecting three specialist 15s and three specialist 9s and only one specialist 12.
* two specialist 8s with no utility (albeit SOB and Warbs can cover 8) when perhaps a utility back row the likes of Ryan Jones would have been better.

etc etc

Most of the forum queries have not been directed at Welsh selections but it says so much when most of the angry ripostes have been defensive Welshmen

I am annoyed that we haven't 5 scots but would be embarrassed if there was 7 or more, as I feel for example as good as Matt Scott is coming on he is not a better option as a specialist centre than the BOD, Tualagi, Foxy or the Doc, but Brown and Grant should be on the plane purely because they have been excellent in the 6Ns and more importantly carried on that form up to the 30th April where a lot of the tourists form has dropped
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next