The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!!

+20
Valero's Conscience
J.Benson II
kingraf
rIck_dAgless
aja424
BoomBoomBaby
TopHat24/7
Strongback
Boxtthis
Rowley
Lumbering_Jack
bellchees
Seanusarrilius
Diamond in the rough
azania
hazharrison
88Chris05
JabMachineMK2
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!! Empty Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:31 am

Let's look at steroids and there affects..........on the Boxer...........Rememebr steroids increase muscle..........

1. Punching is a snapping motion not a pushing motion...........Lifting weights is a pushing/ pulling motion.......Won't affect power at all...

2. Lifting weights reduces muscle relaxation capacity.......More muscle means you're slower...makes you stiff..........makes you tire out faster

3. The weight behing your punches is not your muscle........It's your bodyweight...

other reasons too why steroids are pretty much useless to a fighter.....but these are enough!!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 03 May 2013, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!! Empty Re: Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!!

Post by Rodney Fri 03 May 2013, 11:33 am

You're on the wind up aren't you?

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!! Empty Re: Why we should be more lenient to steroid abusers in Boxing!!

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:34 am

Steroids, or banned protein substances aren't about strength, they're 99% of the time about the improvement in recovery. It means people can train harder, for longer and with quicker gains.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:35 am

No..not at all..........In other sports Steroids are a help..........In Boxing they are pretty much useless..

Forgiving doesn't mean giving them a free pass....means we should be more tolerant as they are pretty much useless...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:38 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Steroids, or banned protein substances aren't about strength, they're 99% of the time about the improvement in recovery. It means people can train harder, for longer and with quicker gains.

Steroid abusers........put on muscle..That makes them tire quicker...makes them stiff and slower...

Look at Frank..............The negatives outweight the positives for Boxing.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:39 am

Well it's definitely an interesting take on the matter, Truss, but can't say I agree at all.

Even before we get in to the physical aspects of it all, juicing goes against the very heart 'n' soul of what competitive sport is supposed to be about, for me. I think it should be about an individual / team using what gifts they've been given to be the best they possibly can be.

I appreciate that additional muscle doesn't automatically make a fighter faster or stronger by any means, but what about added weight to potentially wear another man out? What about unfair advantages that substances can give for stamina? The illegal advantages which steroids give to a fighter may not be blindingly obvious, but they're still there all the same.

Lives are at risk, after all.

Not all cases are the same and I believe that having a uniform "fail a test and you're out for life" isn't the best way to go about it, but steroid abusers in boxing, if caught, should be punished as far as I'm concerned, with the severity of the punishment matching how bad, deliberate or costly the offense is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:43 am

It's a valid response.............

1. I think it's more widespread...especially diuretics to make weight..

2. Like I say in relation to other sports they really don't offer much......

Only real help is for 175/cruisers moving up to Heavy..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 03 May 2013, 1:06 pm

Tommy Morrison's take:

"You become bigger, faster, and stronger,” Morrison said. “It helps with your endurance and recovery time between rounds. I looked around and, from what I saw, everybody was doing the same s***. It wasn’t something that was talked about openly; but when you looked around, you could tell. I just looked at it as bettering my chances. Without steroids, I wouldn’t have gone as far as I did. I guarantee you that.”

Marvin Hagler's:

“You don't need drugs for courage, which is what a boxer really needs, so to take drugs and fight, for me, shows the person who does it is totally out of their mind, and shouldn't be boxing. Period."

"In my time we had never heard of drugs like this. Your life is on the line every time you step between those ropes. Boxing is a dangerous sport and should be made as safe as possible."

"For me, it's the same thing when people put stuff inside your gloves or use liniment on the gloves to get into their opponents' eyes.”

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 03 May 2013, 1:15 pm

Jail them. It's attempted manslaughter imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Fri 03 May 2013, 1:16 pm

I think in most sport you should allow it but not one which the main objective is to hurt someone, but I would much rather watch the 100m in 9 secs than 10 for instance should have a juicing Olympics

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 03 May 2013, 1:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's look at steroids and there affects..........on the Boxer...........Rememebr steroids increase muscle..........

1. Punching is a snapping motion not a pushing motion...........Lifting weights is a pushing/ pulling motion.......Won't affect power at all...

2. Lifting weights reduces muscle relaxation capacity.......More muscle means you're slower...makes you stiff..........makes you tire out faster

3. The weight behing your punches is not your muscle........It's your bodyweight...

other reasons too why steroids are pretty much useless to a fighter.....but these are enough!!

America, land of the cheat

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 03 May 2013, 1:26 pm

azania wrote:Jail them. It's attempted manslaughter imo.

Couldn't agree more.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 03 May 2013, 1:28 pm

There is a line of thinking (held by some pretty decent writers) that PEDS should be open to all.

Let's face it, it virtually is open to those that are inclined, so bad are modern testing standards.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 03 May 2013, 1:28 pm

I thought you knew your stuff about steroids Truss.

Obviously not.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 May 2013, 1:30 pm

My views on this issue is always the same. Firstly, and I have still not received any kind of response to this. If PED’s provide no advantage or only negligible advantages, why do boxers take them?

Secondly when inevitable tragedies such as Watson or Mclellan happen what would be the consequences was it revealed the opponent was juicing. Could we seriously forgive this or continue to justify the sports existence.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 03 May 2013, 1:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In Boxing they are pretty much useless

That's simply not true. Treatments like TRT dramatically improve recovery time and endurance. Steroids don't only make you in to a big muscular hulk. They have all sorts of benefits for boxers. This is a ridiculous thread.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 1:58 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's look at steroids and there affects..........on the Boxer...........Rememebr steroids increase muscle..........

America, land of the cheat

Nothing like cheap stereotyping..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 03 May 2013, 2:17 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In Boxing they are pretty much useless

That's simply not true. Treatments like TRT dramatically improve recovery time and endurance. Steroids don't only make you in to a big muscular hulk. They have all sorts of benefits for boxers. This is a ridiculous thread.

I shake my head now looking back at the Mosleys when they once claimed they were pioneering "power boxing", where a fighter throws power shots relentlessly. Mosley's team boasted about how much he could bench.

Yep. Steroids and EPO will do that for you.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:19 pm

We can agree to disagree...........Hearns muscle didn't make him devastating..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 03 May 2013, 2:20 pm

Conte said anabolic steroids and growth hormone do not give great value to boxers when talking about "bang for the buck".

EPO on the other hand is what Balco was giving boxers. Gives the endurance to fight all night.

There are steroids that have been developed that don't have the side effect of putting on additional muscle.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:20 pm

To be expected view from a Yank, a country that likes nothing better than turning a blind eye when it comes to winning at all costs and who's countless sporting 'heros' are drug cheats.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:24 pm

Why bring my Nationality into it..........I'm saying more leniency in Boxing or can't you read........

We might fail the tests.but at least we take them!!.....Don't forget.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoomBoomBaby Fri 03 May 2013, 2:29 pm

This thread is insulting and it's only purpose is WUM. Would one of the mods please remove it!

BoomBoomBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:30 pm

Coxy's back is he??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:32 pm

Strongback wrote:Conte said anabolic steroids and growth hormone do not give great value to boxers when talking about "bang for the buck".

EPO on the other hand is what Balco was giving boxers. Gives the endurance to fight all night.

There are steroids that have been developed that don't have the side effect of putting on additional muscle.

The cyclists champagne..............That and blood transfusions...........

People do think muscle brings power though..Just debunking that myth....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why bring my Nationality into it..........I'm saying more leniency in Boxing or can't you read........

We might fail the tests.but at least we take them!!.....Don't forget.

Barry Bonds.....Marion Jones......Lance Armstrong........ yeh, all that 'testing' does a fat lot of good.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:42 pm

Mate I don't want a slagging match but

Linford Christie..Gary Cadogan..........Maccarinelli..........

So let's just leave it...........Skeletons in every closet!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Agree with Truss, lets leave nationality out of it. Will be unlikely to end well and like Truss has said no nation appears to have the moral high ground in this one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 03 May 2013, 2:47 pm

Yeah but look at the American scandals. Wholesale cover ups involving officials and professionals at all levels.

This isn't Enzo Mac walking into JJB picking up a protein bar.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:52 pm

Let him without sin .. cast the first stone..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 May 2013, 2:52 pm

Rowley wrote:Agree with Truss, lets leave nationality out of it. Will be unlikely to end well and like Truss has said no nation appears to have the moral high ground in this one.
Are you referring to the issue of Nationality or this highly contentious thread.

Next topic..."Margarito-style handwraps for all"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 2:57 pm

nothing contentious at all..........

Just pointing out that steroids aren't that effective for fighters....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 03 May 2013, 2:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:nothing contentious at all..........

Just pointing out that steroids aren't that effective for fighters....

Except that is a load of rubbish. But other than that...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:00 pm

You can't beat scientific rebuttal like that

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Let's have a load of fighters off their face on steroids all belting each other in the face with plaster filled handwraps

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Weight training on steroids allow you to bench press a heavier weight.
Hitting a heavier bag on steroids allows you to hit the bag harder and for longer. The point being that after a training camp a REAL PERSON is put in front of a roided boxer in place of the heavy bag.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:03 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Let's have a load of fighters off their face on steroids all belting each other in the face with plaster filled handwraps

Missing the point of the article and being a silly in the process..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:05 pm

It doesn't make you hit harder that is the point......and steroids are used bar EPo for anaerobic activity...........

Stamina.......suffers...and it doesn't make you punch any harder....

Effects are negligible for a Boxer.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:06 pm

If the point of the 'article' is should we be handing out a 6 month ban in place of a 12 month ban? NO and WHY?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 03 May 2013, 3:06 pm

is this not just simply a case of illegal substances being utilised to optimise various pinch points in a fighters training regime, rather than one type fits all?

To build mass
to recover
to induce ligament and dermatological toughness
etc...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:08 pm

Its scientifically proven that steroids aid the recovery process. It also promotes un-natural hormonal imbalances and considerable growth in areas you wouldn't usually experience muscle growth, such as the base of the neck. I'm not saying this aids their power, but it does give them an unfair advantage over the none-steroid user because they can train longer, and harder without the body giving way.

It also means that in a boxing match, their stamina doesn't dip as quickly, meaning their punches are harder, later into rounds. Match a heavyweights round 1 punch against their 6th and 12th round punch and you'll see the power has dropped considerably. If someone has a naturally slower dip in power due to stamina then thats part of their conditioning, but if this is aided by chemical intervention then it is by definition, unfair.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:08 pm

The point of the article is..............

1. To not change legacies because someone has been found out once...

2. To not hit Boxers as hard as in other sports..............

3. To understand the effects on steroids ain what they don't do as well as what they do.........Make you slower...don't increase your power etc..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:10 pm

Your neck can't get more muscular...........

Shrugs can make your traps bigger..

Stamina suffers cause it does...........Look at old Frank..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:11 pm

They don't increase power, per se - but they do allow the power to continue through for longer periods as the body isn't deteriorating at the same rate it would naturally.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:11 pm

More muscle = Less stamina.......Rather than have me tell you... look on the net..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:13 pm

The steroids taken aren't of the variety to make you bigger, its not like Joe Public at the gym injecting his mates arse with Rhino semen. These are cleverly put together regimes intended to improve the performance of the athlete.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:14 pm

Not everyone takes the same steroids Jabby.........

I'm talking steroids per se.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:15 pm

Agree that steroids are a lot more beneficial to a bodybuilder, who's aims are to appear outwardly masculine, more so than the benefits expected to be added to a boxers reportoire.
But steroids should be untolerated in all sports, including boxing.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:17 pm

I'm aware of the fact that larger muscles = more oxygen required to use said muscles, but they're not really the type of steroids being used in athletics, cycling and boxing. COmpare the cocktails bodybuilders use with the one say that Mosely was found to have in his body, and they'll be very different for different goals.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 May 2013, 3:20 pm

You don't know what's being used by different athletes............

Christie was done for Nandrolone...........as were others which shouldn't help a boxer .

Nandrolone is hugely popular.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next