The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I the only one who thinks that ....

+4
Strongback
bhb001
Sir. badgerhands
ONETWOFOREVER
8 posters

Go down

Am I the only one who thinks that .... Empty Am I the only one who thinks that ....

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 15 May 2013, 4:47 pm

Prime v prime De La Hoya beats Donald Curry within the distance? at welter weight of course.

This is not TRUSS baiting but a genuine debate I had at my local gym the other day. Lots of people telling me that the Cobra had way too much ability for anyone in his prime but I look at his opposition and think yes we was very good but prime De La Hoya was the real deal.

What do you guys think about this one. I have Oscar winning by ko 7th to 9th rounds.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one who thinks that .... Empty Re: Am I the only one who thinks that ....

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 15 May 2013, 4:50 pm

Haven't been on here for a while, have you and Mr Truss had a falling out?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one who thinks that .... Empty Re: Am I the only one who thinks that ....

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 15 May 2013, 4:51 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Haven't been on here for a while, have you and Mr Truss had a falling out?

Again this is not TRUSS baiting.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 15 May 2013, 4:58 pm

Fair enough chap, was just being nosey Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 15 May 2013, 5:00 pm

I accept this in the spirit is presented one two. I have loads of respect for Oscar and do think he is an exceptional talent. However, I'd still plump for Curry in this one, but it would be an exceptional contest! I think the cobra's overall package is too good. Have to be pre-Honeyhgahn though, when he still had an air of invincibility about him!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 15 May 2013, 5:09 pm

Well if Honeygan could punch Curry around the ring..................its east meat for Oscar.

I was reading, not for the first time, that Curry is a fairly unpleasant character.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Wed 15 May 2013, 7:16 pm

Did Curry end up in clink on some drugs charge?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 15 May 2013, 7:18 pm

Check out my thread, now that's Truss baiting...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 15 May 2013, 7:26 pm

Curry beats Oscar every day and twice on Sunday.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 May 2013, 7:52 pm

Think this to be a very decent match-up, in fact. Curry paid his dues at 147 against Moochie and looked as though he was unbeatable when taking out Stafford, LaRocca, Jones and McCrory. Oddly, he wasn't too fantastic against the remarkably tough Korean, Hwang, but at his best, was the most fluid boxer-puncher - very easy on the eye.

The fact that Oscar lost a couple of nail-biters at the weight shouldn't blind us to the fact that he was a really fine welter with an outstanding CV. Great opposition - I'd argue that ageing Whitaker, Chavez and Camacho, plus Quartey, Trinidad and Mosley represent a resume over and above even that of Curry's. Of those to whom DLH lost from this select group, there are plenty of viewers who would have given him the decision against Mosley and Trinidad in a heartbeat.

For the life of me, I don't see how Curry has the easy night that az seems to be suggesting. A classic pick'em contest for me, with no result ruled out.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 15 May 2013, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 May 2013, 8:07 pm

It's a very interesting match up to ponder, I think. Don't see it as being cut and dried either way.

Always a little bit difficult with Curry when we talk about how he'd get on against the outstanding Welters from other eras, as much of his lure does, to an extent, rest upon what he might, could and should have done before he fell apart so suddenly. He was a more dominant champion at 147 than Oscar, no doubt, but as the captain has already said above, Oscar's level of opposition at the weight was phenomenal.

De la Hoya faced a man who was extremely difficult to hit cleanly (Whitaker), a man who owned one of the most wonderful and consistent jabs in Welterweight history (Quartey) and a man who packed fantastic and very genuine knockout power in his hands (Trinidad) and, although all of the verdicts were contentious, he did acquit himself well against all of them in general. The problem is that Curry, at his best, possessed a pretty good mix of all three of those attributes and I don't think Oscar faced anyone who had quite that much to call upon at 147. The closest he came to doing so was when he boxed an absolutely peak Mosley in 2000 and, although there are one or two who weren't convinced by the outcome, I've always felt that Sugar Shane was definitely well worth a win in that one, even if subsequent revelations mean that we have to look at that fight with cynicism.

On that form line, I'd probably give an edge to Curry.

De la Hoya was a little outsped in that one and, what with him being so open to a heavy and quick jab, I'd fancy Don's greater hand speed to befuddle Oscar quite often and see the Cobra controlling the distance and tempo of the fight. Obviously, Curry's record once he got dragged in to the trenches doesn't make for great reading and De la Hoya's own power means that he won't be able to take liberties, but I just feel that, if Curry's on top form, De la Hoya might be reduced to simply trying to outwork and outhussle the Don while being cleanly countered and peppered with the jab for most of the night.

Oscar was handy at nicking rounds with late flurries and the like, so I expect it to be pretty close, but if both were at their absolute best then I'd probably back Curry by close (but not controversial) decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 15 May 2013, 8:09 pm

At his best Curry was one of the finest technicians to step between the ropes. Oscar was very good but Curry was better. His punch variety, his very long arms. Plus the way Oscar alwaysseemed to lean fforward would make it easier for curry to land.

If oscar were around at that time the fight would have been made in a heartbeat.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 15 May 2013, 8:18 pm

Nice reply captain

Like you said Curry was a joy to watch. His poise and movement really impressed me. I think his fast counters would cause Oscar no end of trouble, also pretty sure he hurts De La Hoya early but I like Oscars famous left hook and underrated heavy hands in this one.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 May 2013, 7:58 am

azania wrote:At his best Curry was one of the finest technicians to step between the ropes. Oscar was very good but Curry was better. His punch variety, his very long arms. Plus the way Oscar alwaysseemed to lean fforward would make it easier for curry to land.

If oscar were around at that time the fight would have been made in a heartbeat.

I take it that is to the credit of Oscar who, as far as I am aware, didn't duck or avoid anyone

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down