The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who thinks Zab will beat Khan?

+11
d260005p
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
coxy0001
Scottrf
Rowley
Imperial Ghosty
GaryMabbuttYidLegend
J.Benson II
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Raymond
15 posters

Go down

Who thinks Zab will beat Khan? Empty Who thinks Zab will beat Khan?

Post by Raymond Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:01 pm

I think IF Zab has trained hard and is motivated for this fight he will have too much speed and power for Khan, saw him vs Mayweather and was giving him all kinds of problems in the first 4 rounds until Mayweather figured him out. Khan doesn't have the defence skills of Mayweather and if Zab is in good condition and a 33? won't be past it Khan wont have a speed advantage. He has only lost once at light welter to Kostya Tszyu and there is no shame in that. I have a cheeky tenner of a Zab KO.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Who thinks Zab will beat Khan? Empty Re: Who thinks Zab will beat Khan?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

I've said since before it was even booked Zab beats Khan for me. Like Maidana did Zab will catch him and Khan will panic and run around in straight lines flapping his arms about. Unlike Maidana Zab is smart enough and quick enough to corner Khan and finish him off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Zab isnt the same fighter that fought Mayweather.
I havent been impressed with any of his recent performances. He has too many flaws.
I think the first 3 rounds might be quite explosive but once the early exchanges are over, Khan will take control and stop him in the mid rounds.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryMabbuttYidLegend Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

If Zab beats him it will be within the first 6 rounds in my opinion. If the fight goes past 6 I see Khan winning on points.

Zab is a very live underdog, I agree, but my concern is him fading, as he has in big fights before

GaryMabbuttYidLegend

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

GaryMabbuttYidLegend wrote:If Zab beats him it will be within the first 6 rounds in my opinion. If the fight goes past 6 I see Khan winning on points.

Zab is a very live underdog, I agree, but my concern is him fading, as he has in big fights before

Never at 140lbs though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

Faded badly against Corley and the less said about the Tzuyu fight the better, he's a great fighter for 4/5 rounds but after that he's easily outpointed

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

A motivated Zab is a very very talented boxer, something tells me he is very motivated for this fight, he seem different. Zab is quick enough to get inside Khan's poor defence and once he does like PBK said Khan will get hit and panic, and a Quick powerful Zab will finish him.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryMabbuttYidLegend Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
GaryMabbuttYidLegend wrote:If Zab beats him it will be within the first 6 rounds in my opinion. If the fight goes past 6 I see Khan winning on points.

Never at 140lbs though.

True, but who has he faced at 140 (apart from KT)? His elite competion has been at 147.

GaryMabbuttYidLegend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

One other thing to bear in mind this is the first time Zab will have had a full camp with Whitaker, in the Boxing Monthly preview Pernell was saying Zab has been fighting the wrong style for some time was far more defensive in his early days and as an amateur. They reckon we will see a different Zab this time round. Personally wonder how much a fighter can change at 33 but do think Zab is a valid opponent and could make this interesting.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Khan isn't a pressure fighter like Tszyu, Khan uses his jab to box he doesn't like been on the inside. Tszyu would kill Khan.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Faded badly against Corley and the less said about the Tzuyu fight the better, he's a great fighter for 4/5 rounds but after that he's easily outpointed

Corley was a tough fight and Zab was guilty of shooting his blot far to early in a fight back then, he never got the chance to fade against Tszyu but to be fair he was an elite level fighter. He was a young man at the time. I see it up to Zab. If he is on form and prepared properly imo he wins. If not no excuses he is an experienced guy now who should know better.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

rowley wrote:One other thing to bear in mind this is the first time Zab will have had a full camp with Whitaker, in the Boxing Monthly preview Pernell was saying Zab has been fighting the wrong style for some time was far more defensive in his early days and as an amateur. They reckon we will see a different Zab this time round. Personally wonder how much a fighter can change at 33 but do think Zab is a valid opponent and could make this interesting.

He improved a lot from the Matthysse fight to the Mabuza fight and he had only spent a few weeks with Pernell. His defence was much tighter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

You've been reading the Main Event press releases then Wink

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

I don't see what evidence we have to rate Judah so highly, the Mayweather fight was over 5 years ago now and he's shown me nothing to suggest he's improved since then if anything he's got worse. Losing to Cotto, Mayweather, Spinks and Tzuyu fair enough but a fighter capable of beating Khan doesn't get outboxed by the likes of Clottey and Baldomir, since then he's got a questionable decision over Matthyse and was put on the deck by Mabuza. Not the form to come close to beating Khan i'm afraid.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

Nothing to suggest he can beat Khan, struggled with Mathyse who ain't exactly class.

Interesting to see how he fights under Whitaker but as things usually go he'll revert to type after getting tagged.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

Raymondo,

When you mention the Mayweather fight, that was over 5 years ago.

I think people talking about a revuvanted Judah have gone a little OTT. I still see a fighter passed his best.

Judah has a chance but think I Khan will be too lively and active and see Khan winning a close UD.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I don't see what evidence we have to rate Judah so highly, the Mayweather fight was over 5 years ago now and he's shown me nothing to suggest he's improved since then if anything he's got worse. Losing to Cotto, Mayweather, Spinks and Tzuyu fair enough but a fighter capable of beating Khan doesn't get outboxed by the likes of Clottey and Baldomir, since then he's got a questionable decision over Matthyse and was put on the deck by Mabuza. Not the form to come close to beating Khan i'm afraid.

Clottey and Baldomir were at 147 so are pretty irrelevant because he's a different fighter at 140. He's much quicker and sharper and probably hits harder as well. I'm not sold on Khan he makes mistakes that I think are perfect for Zab. If Maidana had Zabs speed and awareness he would have stopped Khan in the 10th round of their fight.

Zab will catch Khan it's down to how Khan reacts when he does. If he runs in straight lines flapping his arms around like he usually does it's fight over and a Zab win by stoppage imo. I can't see Zab winning on points though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I don't see what evidence we have to rate Judah so highly, the Mayweather fight was over 5 years ago now and he's shown me nothing to suggest he's improved since then if anything he's got worse. Losing to Cotto, Mayweather, Spinks and Tzuyu fair enough but a fighter capable of beating Khan doesn't get outboxed by the likes of Clottey and Baldomir, since then he's got a questionable decision over Matthyse and was put on the deck by Mabuza. Not the form to come close to beating Khan i'm afraid.

Since when has Khan become all that? He has recently beat a powerpuff puncher who you can walk through, a puncher who can't box and a euro level southpaw who he struggled against that's it.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

Clottey and Baldomir were at 147 so are pretty irrelevant because he's a different fighter at 140. He's much quicker and sharper and probably hits harder as well. I'm not sold on Khan he makes mistakes that I think are perfect for Zab. If Maidana had Zabs speed and awareness he would have stopped Khan in the 10th round of their fight.

Zab will catch Khan it's down to how Khan reacts when he does. If he runs in straight lines flapping his arms around like he usually does it's fight over and a Zab win by stoppage imo. I can't see Zab winning on points though.
Judah isn't a finisher. He's had a few guys in trouble, but doesn't finish off the job (save Spinks).

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Losing to Cotto, Mayweather, Spinks and Tzuyu fair enough but a fighter capable of beating Khan doesn't get outboxed by the likes of Clottey and Baldomir, since then he's got a questionable decision over Matthyse and was put on the deck by Mabuza. Not the form to come close to beating Khan i'm afraid.

In fairness though Ghosty, that was a very dubious 'knockdown' against Mabuza. The punch barely connected and Judah was off balance, it's not as if a gaping hole in his defence was exposed.

I'm going to stick my neck on the line and tip 'Mad Zab' to cause an upset, though there is a strong element of gut feeling in that. I'd usually only see an inside fighter beating Khan amongst the current crop of 140 lb men, but Judah still has that famed hand speed, and I don't think that Khan is going to be able to just pin him behind that jab as he easily did with Malignaggi and Maidada. I don't see a stoppage either way and I anticipate a cagey fight, but I think that Judah might just have one last hurrah and nick rounds with his in and out speed, getting under Khan's jab.

Have been well-rewarded by backing a couple of underdogs lately, and think I'll do the same here. Judah by a close decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Judah isn't a finisher. He's had a few guys in trouble, but doesn't finish off the job (save Spinks).

It's not about Judah being a finisher though it's about how Khan reacts when he gets hit. He's wide open.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

prettyboykev wrote:It's not about Judah being a finisher though it's about how Khan reacts when he gets hit. He's wide open.
Yep, and Maidana didn't stop him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

Why are people talking about how good Zab looked against Mayweather? Im sure that was like 5 years ago. If your going based on that, then Zab to win, because Khan looked like poor in his last fight against Gomez? lol Dont make sense. This fight will be easy for Khan. Too fast. Yes his chin is poor, but Judah aint the fighter he was. He looks like he has the drive back and has changed his personality which is a good thing, but i just dont think he will be good enough on the night. Khan looked great against Maidana in the FOTY last year and im expecting this fight to be similar. He may get caught, but if a guy who has one of the best KO ratios in the LWW division cant finish Khan, then Zab aint.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

Judah doesn't fight anything like Maidana so what's to say he connects on Khan, Maidana is one dimensional but he's the kind of fighter who is happy to walk through a guy and take one to try and land one of his own, something Judah wouldn't be willing to do. Who's to say that he sees the second round if Khan were to have landed that body shot which in itself is a null point as Judah isn't as open to shots.

Baldomir and Clottey may have been at 147lbs but neither are the kind of fighter any supposedly great fighter should be losing to, he looked a different fighter at light welterweight because he wasn't facing anyone of real quality until he stepped up.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:It's not about Judah being a finisher though it's about how Khan reacts when he gets hit. He's wide open.

Like I explained earlier Maidana lacked the speed and awareness to pin Khan down who is quick but so is Judah so he won't have that advantage.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Like I explained earlier Maidana lacked the speed and awareness to pin Khan down who is quick but so is Judah so he won't have that advantage.
Firstly he has to put Khan in that position. It was a massive shot that made him lose his cool. Secondly Maidana closes the ring off and gets inside for uppetcuts - not Judah's game. I'm not sure he has the killer instinct. Thirdly, Khan had more experience in that situation now.

Khan has some big flaws and might knock him out. But it seems to be a common opinion that if Zab lands he gets him out if there - I don't see much precedent for that.

Last edited by Scottrf on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Judah doesn't fight anything like Maidana so what's to say he connects on Khan, Maidana is one dimensional but he's the kind of fighter who is happy to walk through a guy and take one to try and land one of his own, something Judah wouldn't be willing to do. Who's to say that he sees the second round if Khan were to have landed that body shot which in itself is a null point as Judah isn't as open to shots.

Baldomir and Clottey may have been at 147lbs but neither are the kind of fighter any supposedly great fighter should be losing to, he looked a different fighter at light welterweight because he wasn't facing anyone of real quality until he stepped up.

He has fast hands and Khan isn't that hard to hit. I'm not suggesting he fights like Maidana. He can punch and Khan reacts badly to being hit which Prescott aside he has got away with until now. Zab has the speed and power to get after Khan when he is in trouble which his other opponents have lacked.
Judah beat Corley and Witter at 140 they were good wins.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Khan is A LOT faster then Judah. We all know that. As much as people hate Khan, he is a very good boxer, especially under Roach. Like Scottrf pointed out, Maidana couldnt finish him off, and you say its because he is a slow plodding fighter? Tell that to Ortiz when he was stopped by him. Tell that to the other 85% of his opponents who were stopped. He aint that slow. Zab will put up a fight for first 3 rounds id imagine, he will be outworked by the jab and hit to the body and i feel at around round 4, Zab will be getting frustrated and will start to get hit a lot. Lat stoppage. That Mbuza fellow was slow but powerful and he dropped Zab. Times that speed by 4 and you get Khan. Goodnight Zab

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

d260005p wrote:Khan is A LOT faster then Judah. We all know that.
Disagree here.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Firstly he has to put Khan in that position. It was a massive shot that made him lose his cool. Secondly Maidana closes the ring off and gets inside for uppetcuts - not Judah's game. I'm not sure he has the kicker instinct. Thirdly, Khan had more experience in that situation now.

Khan has some big flaws and might knock him out. But it seems to be a common opinion that if Zab lands he gets him out if there - I don't see much precedent for that.

Zab has the power to put Khan in trouble that's a given really. Maidana was slow and plodding Judah is quick and lively at times. I don't think we can say Khan has fixed his faults until we see proof, if he fixes them I'm sold on him.

I do hope Zab refrains from using his kicker instincts though I would presume he would get disqualified. Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Was typing on my phone but spotted the error - very good.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Disagree here.

Really? I dont know, i know Zab is fast, but Khan is unreal at times.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

d260005p wrote:Khan is A LOT faster then Judah. We all know that. As much as people hate Khan, he is a very good boxer, especially under Roach. Like Scottrf pointed out, Maidana couldnt finish him off, and you say its because he is a slow plodding fighter? Tell that to Ortiz when he was stopped by him. Tell that to the other 85% of his opponents who were stopped. He aint that slow. Zab will put up a fight for first 3 rounds id imagine, he will be outworked by the jab and hit to the body and i feel at around round 4, Zab will be getting frustrated and will start to get hit a lot. Lat stoppage. That Mbuza fellow was slow but powerful and he dropped Zab. Times that speed by 4 and you get Khan. Goodnight Zab

Ortiz is wide open and he quit.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

Scottrf wrote:Was typing on my phone but spotted the error - very good.

It's about time I owed you one.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

d260005p wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Disagree here.
Really? I dont know, i know Zab is fast, but Khan is unreal at times.
Yeah Zab is lightning. Not much in it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

Fair enough, suppose only this Saturday night will tell us all hey. Like i said, should be good for first 4 rounds, but cant see anything but an overwhelming Khan win.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Primetime Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

Well Roach claims Khan is further on tha Pac at them same age but on the other side there is a lot of talk that Whitaker has made significant in roads with Judah and we'll see a much more polished defensive game from him.

All pointing towards a cracking nights boxing, don't miss it Very Happy

Primetime

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:59 pm

Primetime wrote:Well Roach claims Khan is further on tha Pac at them same age but on the other side there is a lot of talk that Whitaker has made significant in roads with Judah and we'll see a much more polished defensive game from him.

Are you PRIMETIME Tele? lol You keep bigging this fight up and not to miss it etc and you seem to have a lot of info about the night itself?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

Primetime wrote:Well Roach claims Khan is further on tha Pac at them same age but on the other side there is a lot of talk that Whitaker has made significant in roads with Judah and we'll see a much more polished defensive game from him.

He probably is, as Manny was much more limited at this age. However, I'm not sure Khan has the potential to go on to a level better than Manny is now...that'd be some feat.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

d260005p wrote:

Are you PRIMETIME Tele? lol You keep bigging this fight up and not to miss it etc and you seem to have a lot of info about the night itself?

Yes mate, that is a representative of Primetime. Check out the competition that we are running in association with Primetime, it is a sticky at the top of the page. Have a go!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Fists tend to agree Khan will not surpass Manny. He has ability and has approved but whilst I get as sick of everyone of the chinny thing it is a concern. He really does look woefully out of his depth when tagged and also doesn't really commit to his punching because he seems loath to sit down on his punches. Think he will get past Judah but for me he looks a bit of an accident waiting to happen, although to be fair that is half of what makes watching him fun, and just to keep primetime happy is why they can have my £15 this weekend

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Khan will stop the Jud

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

After the Haye farce i've given up on paying for fights Jeff, would far rather watch Froch for free than anyone else as it is anyway

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Can see your point Ghosty but am in Saturday night and actually think this is a decent match up. Really do want to be more particular though because for as long as people like me shell out for rubbish like Audley v Haye Sky will charge for them. However I know if I am stuck in the house and if it is a choice between sticking to my principles or watching all star celebrity cooking on ice I will crack in the end.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

I do also find it hard to watch any fight without the HBO team nowadays, probably in the minority but wont watch a fight replay commentated on by anyone else

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

Kahn had an extensive amature career to learn the basics, olympic silver medalist was he not? Pacquiao just got in there and started swinging his left arm around until someone took notice. Kahn should be more developed than Pacquiao was at that age, he still doesn't have the same physical gifts though.

Judah has the power to put Kahn down, my only concern for Judah is does he have the stamina and application to do it? We don't know if anything Wittaker's saying is truth or hype (same goes for Primetime Wink ) but both these guys have the tools to upset each other. They're two of the fastest guys in the sport so it'll be a blink and you'll miss it, plenty of nervous energy burned up. Wouldn't surprise me to see a concentration lapse for just a second and BANG it's over. Really could go either way...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down