The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilko - European Player of the Year!

+18
fa0019
Cyril
sirtidychris
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
Geordie
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Mickado
RuggerRadge2611
hugehandoff
nathan
GunsGerms
rodders
doctor_grey
wrfc1980
BigTrevsbigmac
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wilko - European Player of the Year! - Page 2 Empty Wilko - European Player of the Year!

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22590414

One more accolade for the CV.

JD was right 'Wilkinson has had his day' Headscratch

European Player of the Year & still going strong....

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Wilko - European Player of the Year! - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilko - European Player of the Year!

Post by Cyril Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

Griff wrote:Have to agree with Cyril here.
That's twice this year Griff Shocked

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Wilko - European Player of the Year! - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilko - European Player of the Year!

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Griff wrote:Have to agree with Cyril here.
That's twice this year Griff Shocked

Really? Oh dear...!

But then you have improved of late, hence why you haven't been banned I guess! Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Maesteg, you talk of Biggar's 6N winning tournament but in reality the two players had similar tournaments but in reverse. For Biggar, it started with a loss but Wales turned it around for 4 wins on the trot. for Farrell, he helped them to 4 wins on the bounce with a loss at the end. That included winning away in Ireland (the team we couldn't beat at home), while Biggar had to guide to Wales to wins in France and Scotland. Much of a muchness really. But Farrell did claim a win over NZ, which is not to be sniffed at.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 am

Griff wrote:Maesteg, you talk of Biggar's 6N winning tournament but in reality the two players had similar tournaments but in reverse. For Biggar, it started with a loss but Wales turned it around for 4 wins on the trot. for Farrell, he helped them to 4 wins on the bounce with a loss at the end. That included winning away in Ireland (the team we couldn't beat at home), while Biggar had to guide to Wales to wins in France and Scotland. Much of a muchness really. But Farrell did claim a win over NZ, which is not to be sniffed at.

My point being when there is pressure on the players Farrell doesn't perform and Biggar does. Yes I agree that both players are far from being their best, they are both young and new to international rugby.

The way we have seen Biggar not only not crack but perform his best in very tough games year after year, has shown he has a character Farrell has not. A character we might need should Sexton get injured.

The purpose of many opinions on this thread are underlined by posters, who having seen Farrell, have no confidence in him.

We all know many of the squads selections were very close calls. But I do not think this was anywhere near as close as Andy Farrell made it appear.

Owen Farrell has still not proved anything to any of us. Certainly not that he is a top international flyhalf.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm

If Warren Gatland was persuaded to select a player because his dad is his assistant, then he does not deserve to be employed.

More likely is that Gatland just does not rate Biggar as highly as some posters do. We can disagree with his opinion, but to effectively accuse him of being hen-pecked seems harsh.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 27, 2013 1:10 pm

LondonTiger wrote:If Warren Gatland was persuaded to select a player because his dad is his assistant, then he does not deserve to be employed.

More likely is that Gatland just does not rate Biggar as highly as some posters do. We can disagree with his opinion, but to effectively accuse him of being hen-pecked seems harsh.

So you are saying that you do not in any way think that Andy Farrell overrates his son Owen? That he would be completely impartial in whether Owen is selected for the teams Andy coaches..?

Gatland relies on the advice of other coaches for selection, not sure how you conclude that Gatland is somehow weak from what I wrote....?

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue May 28, 2013 6:11 am

I believe Wilko & Sexton would have been the first choices of the coaches but didn't happen because of Wilkos commitment to Toulon.

Farrell is a better FH than Biggar & although he is having a dip in form he has achieved more. I accept he has limitations & it is another area of potential weakness for the Lions.

The Farrell knockers will convince themselves that it was Dads decision that got him the nod but like other '50/50' decisions which we don't agree with for various reasons the coaching team & ultimately Gatland will have chosen the best players to win the test matches in their view.

ps. no need to be so rude to Warren Maes - 'Fatland' Shocked

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 am

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:If Warren Gatland was persuaded to select a player because his dad is his assistant, then he does not deserve to be employed.

So you are saying that you do not in any way think that Andy Farrell overrates his son Owen? That he would be completely impartial in whether Owen is selected for the teams Andy coaches..?

Gatland relies on the advice of other coaches for selection, not sure how you conclude that Fatland is somehow weak from what I wrote....?

I do not conclude that Gatland is weak, but I do conclude that you somehow feel he is based on your continued assertions about Farrell's selection.

I have seen any number of father-coaches. Some treat their offspring as if they are the chosen one, many others demand higher standards. How much would Andy have pushed Owen's case? Knowing the character of the father not much at all. Gatland will have listened to advice from coaches (including Howley as well as Farrell) and come to his own conclusion. Between them the Head Coach, the attack coach (both of whom coach Wales remember) and the defense coach have selected the players they feel best able to win the series.

I do not believe that Gatland has succumbed to nepotistic demands from one of his coaches. I do not believe he has been weak.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2