The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

+29
fa0019
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ME-109
George Carlin
Full Credit
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
trebellbobaggins
t1000advancedprototype
Pal Joey
Hookisms and Hyperbole
100%beefy
kiakahaaotearoa
Impossible Standards
offload
Icu
BigTrevsbigmac
littlejohn
Jhamer25
tecphobe
Biltong
Taylorman
ChequeredJersey
sensisball
belovedfrosties
GunsGerms
Geordie
gowershowerpower
thebluesmancometh
33 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual Empty Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Firstly all the talk is about how amazing the Aussie Super teams skill levels are and how they are all playing immensely... Despite the league format proving otherwise, and all teams similar standings to last seasons finish.

He loves to highlight how goo players like AAC, Folau, and JOC are, despite 2 having poor games this morning showing little going forward and totally outclassed by Inman and English.

Then we talk about the strengths of the Aus team... The back row Shocked

Then Cooper will definately be named in the Aus team, despite him being told he has to defend in the front line to prove himself for international rugby and him not doing so much at all! Lynagh is convinced Cooper and Beale should be named and assessed at the camp, how can Beale be assessed where he is now? And surely for all Coopers weaknesses what he brings to any team isn't up for debate, it's his attitude toward everything, and Deans relationship!

And lastly Lynagh scoffs at the perceived weakness of the Aus scrum and physicality, as they beat both Wales and England in the Autumn and their scrum was the better despite being weakened...

Oh Mr Lynagh you sure know how to make astute observations.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual Empty Re: Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by gowershowerpower Fri 24 May 2013, 12:47 pm

yawn

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual Empty Re: Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 12:49 pm

gowershowerpower wrote:yawn

Very valuable insight, I expect nothing less from such an intelligent poster Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Fri 24 May 2013, 12:50 pm

whawazat?

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 May 2013, 12:54 pm

Its a shame about Kurtley Beale...

Whats the crack with him...is he in a complete mess with the drink.

Might getting back into the Aussie squad in an enclosed environment not be worth a chance? The guy is top class.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 24 May 2013, 12:56 pm

Lynagh is just getting over excited because the tour is coming up. In reality the Aussies are in dissaray and really will need some good sessions to make the weight for this tussle and it will be some tussle.

Cooper and Beale are all over the place, Ioane their most potent tryscorer is injured as is Bieber and Pocock. Its gonna be interesting.

Hopefully Folau will be picked. I can picture him doing something really stupid.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 24 May 2013, 12:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Its a shame about Kurtley Beale...

Whats the crack with him...is he in a complete mess with the drink.

Might getting back into the Aussie squad in an enclosed environment not be worth a chance? The guy is top class.

Apparently being in Melbourne is considered to be a predominant factor in Beale going off the handle, there is quite a drinking and partying culture in that squad thats done him no favours. I heard somewhere (can't remember where) that there were talks of sending him off to perth where they look after their players a bit better and are less party hardy.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 1:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Lynagh is just getting over excited because the tour is coming up. In reality the Aussies are in dissaray and really will need some good sessions to make the weight for this tussle and it will be some tussle.

Cooper and Beale are all over the place, Ioane their most potent tryscorer is injured as is Bieber and Pocock. Its gonna be interesting.

Hopefully Folau will be picked. I can picture him doing something really stupid.

Folau v Cuthbert on the wing would be awesome for a neutral, more tries scored than tackles completed!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Fri 24 May 2013, 1:03 pm

isn't it due to lower levels of alcohol dehydrogenase?

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 May 2013, 1:03 pm

Ah i see...must i admit...when i did my year travelling oz i partied just as hardy in Perth as i did in Melbourne...come to think of it...and Brisbane, and Adelaide, and Sydney..etc etc Very Happy RedWine

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 24 May 2013, 1:53 pm

The thing is that Lynagh is a major part of the Sky team that has a test series to sell to its audience, so he is saying exactly what he is paid to say: Aussies will be competitive, could come down to the third test etc. etc.

I recently watched Clermont against Toulouse in the T14 followed by a recording of the the Reds against the Brumbies and the drop off in physicality between the games was remarkable. If the Lions front five players have anything left in the tank after a long season then i cant see the Wallabies getting enough decent ball to trouble the Lions and all the talk of their threatening outfield backs will be academic. I hope Im wrong and i kind of hope the Wallabies win the first test to make it a real contest for Gatland and his team.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 24 May 2013, 1:57 pm

I would prefer a 3-0 Lions whitewash of the Aussies but I dont think that will happen anymore. 2-1 to the Lions losing the third test.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 24 May 2013, 9:28 pm

sensisball wrote:The thing is that Lynagh is a major part of the Sky team that has a test series to sell to its audience, so he is saying exactly what he is paid to say: Aussies will be competitive, could come down to the third test etc. etc.

I recently watched Clermont against Toulouse in the T14 followed by a recording of the the Reds against the Brumbies and the drop off in physicality between the games was remarkable. If the Lions front five players have anything left in the tank after a long season then i cant see the Wallabies getting enough decent ball to trouble the Lions and all the talk of their threatening outfield backs will be academic. I hope Im wrong and i kind of hope the Wallabies win the first test to make it a real contest for Gatland and his team.

Of course, in terms of time gelling together as a unit, some might say that Clermont's pack is actually better than a Lion pack, especially when you consider the individuals they have there!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 9:39 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
sensisball wrote:The thing is that Lynagh is a major part of the Sky team that has a test series to sell to its audience, so he is saying exactly what he is paid to say: Aussies will be competitive, could come down to the third test etc. etc.

Of course, in terms of time gelling together as a unit, some might say that Clermont's pack is actually better than a Lion pack, especially when you consider the individuals they have there!

We could argue those semantics all night though, regarding the lions and more settled teams. Where there is no argument is that the lions have IMHO the most rounded, varied team on the planet, and the most depth too (in certain positions most most talent) and if Gatland just gets more things right than wrong they can be competitive with anyone (2009 against the best in the world proved that)

There is a decent point made though, for all the talk the Aus super teams derbies are poor games, Tah's V Rebels this morning was a mishmash of dire performances, rubbish defending with the odd flashes of coherant attacking play. A lot of what both teams did was unstructured, off the cuff and very reckless, not to mention the skill levels were really low (AAC, Folau all dropping balls in midfield with noone around, a giveaway intercept try on Rebels try line, and almost a giveaway try on the Tah's try line that was an inch or two from hitting the post) not to mention Dennis criticising his teams coaching set up and preperations after the game!

I said the lions were very capapble of a 3-0 win before and now it is looking more and more likely, Deans needs to risk the likes of Cooper, Burgess and possibly Mogg if he wants to win, and hope Folau, Mogg, Leilifanau all hit the ground running on the highest stage, and that JOC and Barnes can return and cut it. So many questions!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 24 May 2013, 9:42 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

We could argue those semantics all night though, regarding the lions and more settled teams. Where there is no argument is that the lions have IMHO the most rounded, varied team on the planet, and the most depth too (in certain positions most most talent) and if Gatland just gets more things right than wrong they can be competitive with anyone (2009 against the best in the world proved that)

There is a decent point made though, for all the talk the Aus super teams derbies are poor games, Tah's V Rebels this morning was a mishmash of dire performances, rubbish defending with the odd flashes of coherant attacking play. A lot of what both teams did was unstructured, off the cuff and very reckless, not to mention the skill levels were really low (AAC, Folau all dropping balls in midfield with noone around, a giveaway intercept try on Rebels try line, and almost a giveaway try on the Tah's try line that was an inch or two from hitting the post) not to mention Dennis criticising his teams coaching set up and preperations after the game!

I said the lions were very capapble of a 3-0 win before and now it is looking more and more likely, Deans needs to risk the likes of Cooper, Burgess and possibly Mogg if he wants to win, and hope Folau, Mogg, Leilifanau all hit the ground running on the highest stage, and that JOC and Barnes can return and cut it. So many questions!!!

Think we can win it if we stop Hooper/Gill competing at the breakdown. Should be able to win the set piece and those Aussie backs need some ball at least to even play with.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 9:59 pm

I agree the breakdown will be key, but the backline I'm looking at right now isn't what it used to be, no Beale or Cooper, with Ioane, JOC, Barnes all coming back from injuries and Folau, lealifano inexperienced, theres only Genia and AAC who are established and playing regularly enough.

If Gatland wants to kick long and defend aggressively Aus lack of creative players and size in the back 5 will count against them

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 May 2013, 10:10 pm

How about you support sides that actually beat the Aussies rather than slagging them as easy beats for the Lions, a team composed of players who rarely beat them anyway. There are no SH easybeats for NH sides..how does that not register with you Blues. If you think the Lions are going to walk all over them then you are sadly misinformed...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 May 2013, 10:28 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
I said the lions were very capapble of a 3-0 win before and now it is looking more and more likely!
laughing Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 24 May 2013, 10:31 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Where there is no argument is that the lions have IMHO the most rounded, varied team on the planet, and the most depth too (in certain positions most most talent) and if Gatland just gets more things right than wrong they can be competitive with anyone (2009 against the best in the world proved that)

Hell, you believe all that?

Skill levels low?

Die performance?

Lions have the most depth and are the most rounded team on the planet?

I have only one thing to say, can't wait for this to start, talk is cheap and money buys the Whiskey.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 May 2013, 10:35 pm

...I think the whiskeys already been bought, and drunk biltong... RedWine

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Fri 24 May 2013, 10:42 pm

Taylorman wrote:...I think the whiskeys already been bought, and drunk biltong... RedWine
yep 3-0 ozzies for me

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 24 May 2013, 10:42 pm

I think you might have a point there Taylorman.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Fri 24 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Biltong wrote:I think you might have a point there Taylorman.
I agree wildly optomistic

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 24 May 2013, 10:51 pm

tecphobe wrote:
this series in my view is going to be a lot closer than most expect.

By the look of things Deans is going for experience and Crusader structure type rugby.

Now for anyone that have watched the Crusaders play, they don't play high risk rugby, it is structured and methodical building points, phases and cohesive gamplan.

This is not going to be an erratic gameplan by the Wallabies.

Talent wise these two teams are going to have little difference man to man, it is going to be very, very close.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Fri 24 May 2013, 10:58 pm

Biltong wrote:
tecphobe wrote:

By the look of things Deans is going for experience and Crusader structure type rugby.

Now for anyone that have watched the Crusaders play, they don't play high risk rugby, it is structured and methodical building points, phases and cohesive gamplan.

Talent wise these two teams are going to have little difference man to man, it is going to be very, very close.
I know its a cliche but the first test is going to be very very important

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 24 May 2013, 11:03 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Firstly all the talk is about how amazing the Aussie Super teams skill levels are and how they are all playing immensely... Despite the league format proving otherwise, and all teams similar standings to last seasons finish.

He loves to highlight how goo players like AAC, Folau, and JOC are, despite 2 having poor games this morning showing little going forward and totally outclassed by Inman and English.

Then we talk about the strengths of the Aus team... The back row Shocked

Then Cooper will definately be named in the Aus team, despite him being told he has to defend in the front line to prove himself for international rugby and him not doing so much at all! Lynagh is convinced Cooper and Beale should be named and assessed at the camp, how can Beale be assessed where he is now? And surely for all Coopers weaknesses what he brings to any team isn't up for debate, it's his attitude toward everything, and Deans relationship!

And lastly Lynagh scoffs at the perceived weakness of the Aus scrum and physicality, as they beat both Wales and England in the Autumn and their scrum was the better despite being weakened...

Oh Mr Lynagh you make me giggle

Ah please tell me when Australia beat Wales in the scrum in the autumn series. yes they over powered England but like hell dii they beat us in the scrum.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 May 2013, 11:13 pm

Biltong wrote:
tecphobe wrote:

I think the score will be close- 2-1 to the W's. But I also think the one the Lions win will be the third with one of the first two close, the other a comfortable-ish win to Oz where the Ozies clear out by 10-20.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Fri 24 May 2013, 11:23 pm

Lynagh sounds like the Guscott of australian punditry - great as a player, clueless off it...

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Sat 25 May 2013, 12:15 am

The 1st test is crucial and to stand any chance of winning the series, the Lions have to win it. We should be well prepared and match fit, whereas the aussies should be a bit rusty with it being their first performance together. They will only get stronger from that game onwards so its imperative that we win it.

I do think that the Lions will prevail (2-1) but the games will be close and many people here are underestimating the wallabies. How many times have Welsh and english teams expected to win and come away with nothing?

The first choice front row of Australia is up there as one of the best in the world, Moore, Alexander and Robinson are all very very good, they do lack depth after those guys though. We should get an advantage at scrum time but against those 3 it won't be as big as some are expecting.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 25 May 2013, 12:21 am

I think Michael Lynagh is accurate in his assessment & unbiased as a commentator. Certainly compared to Scrum V 'pundits'.
Aus were a match for both England & Wales in the scrum last Autumn & won their games so maybe Mr Lynagh isn't so far off the mark!

The Rebels v Tahs game this morning was full of attacking play & skill on both sides - a few dodgy forward passes aside!

Aus. will be picking their side from a position of strength of form players.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Sat 25 May 2013, 6:09 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Disagree. There is definitely an argument against the Lions having the most rounded, varied team on the planet, and the most depth too (in certain positions most most talent). The AB's for one and the fact that the Lions have won only 2 tests in the past 12 years and one of those was against a significantly weakened Springbok side. Hardly an advertisement for the best and most talented.

thebluesmancometh wrote:I said the lions were very capapble of a 3-0 win before and now it is looking more and more likely
How so? In the last 12 months from the NH, only Scotland has beaten Australia. England had a one-off attempt and missed and the dual 6N champs had 4 shots and failed each and every time. Among the Lions squad how many have ever won a test on Australian soil? Not too many i reckon. For that matter, how many of the starting XV have played in a winning team against the Wallabies? 30%? 40%? Not sure where this massive over-confidence comes from. I can't fathom it, especially if you are a Welsh supporter. I would have thought you might be at the least a little bit wary or circumspect in such predictions after the continual disappointment and losses suffered at the hands of Australia. If the supposed best team in the NH can't beat Australia over 6 attempts since 2011 why will it be a cakewalk for the Lions? Especially as the Wallabies will be far stronger than last year. I think it will be a close series. 2-1 to the Wallabies

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 25 May 2013, 7:44 am

The Aussies will be very hard to beat and very very hard to beat twice. Anyone who thinks the Lions just have to turn up because the locals are in disarray is deluded.

The prospect of a great test series is mouthwatering.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sat 25 May 2013, 11:26 am

recently watched Clermont against Toulouse in the T14

What's that got to do with the lions players?

Where's this notion that the super 15 lacks intensity? Has no-one seen the SA, NZ and AUS derby matches??? Shocked Lack of skills..... laughing

Compare the S15 to the RP12 there is a clear difference in both skill level and intensity.

My prediction for the lions series:
1st test Lions lose - SH tempo always catches a NH team out. See most NH tours in June for evidence.
2nd Test Lions lose - adapted to tempo but will get caught out with a more tactical approach.
3rd test - Lions win. In a similar manor to the SA 09 tour.

I really hope the lions win but to write off Aus is insanity. thumbsup
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 25 May 2013, 12:04 pm

Bluesman: Where there is no argument is that the lions have IMHO the most rounded, varied team on the planet, and the most depth too....

If there is no argument why does it need your most humble opinion? If you pool together the best talent of 4 nations, it's obvious you're going to have lots of depth in a squad of 36 or however many players.

The fact that you lack variety in the centres or a fullback who won't commit to the line on attack, for example, might suggest it's not as rounded or varied as you'd like.

That said, Gatland has assembled a formidable squad. Australia will have their work out for them but your fear of Australia not being competitive seems at odds with their record on home soil.

Imagine this scenario. NZ comes to Wales for a three match series. The NZ fans suggest Wales are in disarray, their club form is woeful and that you fear it's going to be embarrassing for Wales because the difference in skill levels is frightening. Would you feel compelled to answer back?

My point is you're always going to get behind your own team. You have pointed out what you feel are Australia's weaknesses and fair enough. But you speak about none of their perceived strengths. To finish second in the RC they must have something you can concede where they are going to test the Lions. If you came across as being more balanced in your retort against Lynagh's comments, you'd be a lot more warmly received. Instead you seem to be swinging from the other extreme of the pendulum saying Australia are rubbish and that the Lions are going to wipe the floor with them. The truth, I suspect, lies more in the middle of those arguments. Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses and results will depend much on execution and the correct gameplan.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 25 May 2013, 4:30 pm

whoa whoa whoa

There seems to be a lot of reaction and emotion coming from our SH friends, I didn't mention the scrum, I didn't mention any sort of hammering or rocking up to win it, I said that 3-0 lions was a possibility and from what I see from the selected squad so far it is getting more likely.

Aus are never going to be a walkover, but they are not in a good place, they have some extremely key injuries, players with issues and the politics are as bad as I've known them in recent years.

I have in no way claimed Aus rugby are in dissaray allthough they are only a few steps from it.

What I have said is that having watched a lot of the selected players performances recently they don't look particularly good, a lot of poor errors and clueless play in parts (not that I'd judge them on just club performances, except some have no test performances to review yet)

The Aus squad as is looks poor for Aus, I know players will be added but Deans has to take risks selection wise, the lions squad is far superior in almost every aspect right now.

Please note too a lot of what I say about the lions is based on Gatlands ability to get them going, unite them and have them buy into his system preferences.

But as I said, if the lions can perform similarly to how they did v SA Aus don't have the personell to compete, this Aus side is a much poorer team than the SA of 2009!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 25 May 2013, 4:32 pm

PS why is Cooper being hidden in defence again when RD has specifically asked for him to front up in the line to prove he's ready for test rugby?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 25 May 2013, 7:47 pm

Australia aren't in disarray but they're close. The SA team of 2009 is much better than the Australia squad of 2013 (though you've yet to see them play) and you think the Lions of 2013 are far superior in almost every facet even though you've yet to see them both play.

There seems to be an awful lot of unknowns in your argument. You're confident. We get that. Ask not what the Lions can do for you, ask what Australia can do to the Lions instead.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat 25 May 2013, 8:04 pm

Impossible Standards wrote:
recently watched Clermont against Toulouse in the T14

What's that got to do with the lions players?

Where's this notion that the super 15 lacks intensity? Has no-one seen the SA, NZ and AUS derby matches??? Shocked Lack of skills..... laughing

Compare the S15 to the RP12 there is a clear difference in both skill level and intensity.

My prediction for the lions series:
1st test Lions lose - SH tempo always catches a NH team out. See most NH tours in June for evidence.
2nd Test Lions lose - adapted to tempo but will get caught out with a more tactical approach.
3rd test - Lions win. In a similar manor to the SA 09 tour.

I really hope the lions win but to write off Aus is insanity. thumbsup

i think your argument for the loss of test 1 is wrong....1 thing gats will bring to the lions with his welsh experience is tempo.
wales had tempo in each of the games they lost to oz....what they lacked was he top 2 inches - leadership, composure, belief decision making.....BOD, POC Kearney et al will address that.
what they must do is not come out of the blocks slowly and lose the series in the first half in test 1 so i expect the pre test 1 games to be based around the test side

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 25 May 2013, 8:15 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
If there is no argument why does it need your most humble opinion? If you pool together the best talent of 4 nations, it's obvious you're going to have lots of depth in a squad of 36 or however many players.

A more pressing question would be that someone would probably need to be humble to have a humble opinion.

The Lions are not rounded in the backs whatsoever. The pack I think is solid, and in the backrow in particular have a variety of options that gives Gatland food for thought. However look at the backs- 3 pretty average scrum halves. One outhalf who is really only back from injury, the other in horrendous form. BOD aside, centres with barely a creative bone in their bodies. Bowe aside we have selection 'dilemmas' between three big, strong bosh merchants. Rounded? Hardly. As for Australia in disarray, they were in as bad a position last summer with injuries and problems in the camp when Wales came to town riding the inflatable daffodils left in Cardiff from your weekly hen parties. How did that go? Not too well me thinks. Those same Welsh players who are the core of this Lions team can't buy a victory against Australia. But 3-0 is more and more likely every week? That's a humble opinion too I take it?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 May 2013, 9:10 pm

Was going to say that myself. The Lions backs for me seem in complete disarray. No one seems to know who will be in the centres, there is NO form 10- Sexton not having played test match rugby other than club and Farrell in about as much of a form slump as Priestland confidence wise, and the likely fullback hasnt been involved in any attacking play in tests whatsoever this year. Hardly the bestets most rounded depth etc in the world. NZ probably have 3 better 10's than Sexton and Oz certainy have at least two. At the 3N level Sexton is ordinary at best as a 10 as are most 10's to come out of the NH over the last 10 years.

Having said that, I agree the first test is the clincher. The only reason I say this is Oz have started their seasons notoriously on the last two years losing first up in ambushes they set up for themselves by undervaluing both Samoa and Scotland where they chose to rest key players. Deans will be aware of this and will not make the mistake 3 times in a row, though the one off nature of this first test is hardly present here.

Either way I think the Ozzies will win the second test regardless of he first test result as they learn quickly having been together once. It will be tough but the difference will be the Oz ability to use the space out wide after the usual up front battle that will be long, and torrid. Close to the line they have more options getting over it with Genia, Higginbotham, perhaps Cooper and an 'airborne' Folau.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 25 May 2013, 9:36 pm

The Lions biggest challenge and potential problem is the halfback pairing.

Sexton is likely the best option at ten, wha the fixation is with Phillips I don't know, the Lions need quick clearance at the ruck and Phillips is not that guy.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 May 2013, 9:52 pm

I know biltong but Phillips value is as a pseudo 9th forward and big game player even if few admit it. He can drag all day on the field then create something from nothing. Hes by far the most experienced 9 and I reckon Gatland sees him as critical.

I don't think Gats wants to risk quick ball and wants to play the % game up and down the field, hopefully punishing the Oz mistakes, which will come by way of their gameplan alone. Thats why I thought he selected Farrell, to keep the ball in front of the pack, but hes gone sour confidence wise so Sextons the only option at 10.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 26 May 2013, 9:22 pm

NZ probably have 3 better 10's than Sexton and Oz certainy have at least two

wha the fixation is with Phillips I don't know

I'm not sure if the arrogance or ignorance is funnier...

Sexton is soon to become one of the highest paid players in the game, and has won every major trophy in the NH available to him with him being the lynchpin of the attack. I'd personally put Sexton right up there on Carter's heels, and certainly good enough to not have the debate about shifting Carter to 12, Sexton pushes him out there easily if both were in the same squad.

And Phillips I am astounded he is STILL criticised for his lack of speed, with the same old tired cliches blurted about, it's quite simple, provide evidence of Phillips being slow for no reason other then his own lack of speed, thinking hands, then we'll talk, but as it stands Phillips is one of the first names on the test team sheet.

And with regards to the lions being rounded, which team on the planet can boast 3 FB's as varied as the 3 selected, which team can lose a monster centre to be replaced with a guy who is just as big and powerfull, who has 4 wing options as varied as the ones touring?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 26 May 2013, 10:04 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:NZ probably have 3 better 10's than Sexton and Oz certainy have at least two

wha the fixation is with Phillips I don't know

I'm not sure if the arrogance or ignorance is funnier...

Sexton is soon to become one of the highest paid players in the game, and has won every major trophy in the NH available to him with him being the lynchpin of the attack. I'd personally put Sexton right up there on Carter's heels, and certainly good enough to not have the debate about shifting Carter to 12, Sexton pushes him out there easily if both were in the same squad.

And Phillips I am astounded he is STILL criticised for his lack of speed, with the same old tired cliches blurted about, it's quite simple, provide evidence of Phillips being slow for no reason other then his own lack of speed, thinking hands, then we'll talk, but as it stands Phillips is one of the first names on the test team sheet.

And with regards to the lions being rounded, which team on the planet can boast 3 FB's as varied as the 3 selected, which team can lose a monster centre to be replaced with a guy who is just as big and powerfull, who has 4 wing options as varied as the ones touring?

Yes but what have those 3 FB's ever done? From what I can tell all 3 I think youre talking about all came down last year and got smacked. One's too scared 'or not permitted...geez' to go into the line because someone in the mix think's he'll fail. Whats that about?

and this..."about shifting Carter to 12, Sexton pushes him out there easily if both were in the same squad."

Please go find another person on the planet that agrees with that...still on the whiskey Blues?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 26 May 2013, 10:19 pm

I think it is a little more potent than whiskey mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 27 May 2013, 1:09 am

I will say something though all this makes this tour hugely exciting and Blues is pumping the Lions fortunes (and honestly believes the Ozzies are in dissarray). We in the SH know that isnt the case as we meet the Ozzies on a far more regular basis- and more importantly for matches they REALLY want to win more than any others.

The NHers think coming second in the 4N doesnt mean a lot but its equivalent to a grandslam and some. Last year the Welsh side was GS champs and regardless of how they lost, lost all 3.

This year the Lions has been picked from what was an extremely disappointing 6N series- the NHers don't seem to see that as an issue- England for one went something like 220 minutes between scoring tries, and the entire Italy match was 80 of that. Except for the last match and a couple of moments (vs France at the death) Wales were just as benign on attack. If they can't score regularly against lower ranked sides how do they expect a 3-0 series win is on the cards? Simply because theyre joining forces?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 1:09 am

A case of delusion perhaps? Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Mon 27 May 2013, 5:45 am

I would have to disagree about the Wallabies being (or close to being) in disarray. If there was any sort of discontentment in the Wallaby camp it would have somehow found its way out of the notoriously leaky ARU. The Cooper/Deans saga is largely being driven by the media and inflamed by one-eyed Queenslander's and their persecution complex. As for injuries, all bar Pocock and TPN will be fit for the 2nd test, if not the first. There is more than adequate cover for G Smith and Digby in the meantime. Barnes is back and playing well and MMM will return from injury soon. Nic White stepped up to Deans' challenge and had a good game against the Blues on Friday night and outplayed Piri Weepu i reckon. As for KB, his possible return for the Wallabies would increase team morale IMO, not lessen it. Last season was disarray, not so this time............yet.

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 27 May 2013, 8:20 am

Yep theres good signs. The sxv sides are getting peeled back a little after their big jump on the kiwi sides but the length of the season is starting to kick in in terms of consistency of performance. The pack leaders are starting to sort themselves out nicely though.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 27 May 2013, 9:16 am

gowershowerpower wrote:yawn

+1

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next