The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

+29
fa0019
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ME-109
George Carlin
Full Credit
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
trebellbobaggins
t1000advancedprototype
Pal Joey
Hookisms and Hyperbole
100%beefy
kiakahaaotearoa
Impossible Standards
offload
Icu
BigTrevsbigmac
littlejohn
Jhamer25
tecphobe
Biltong
Taylorman
ChequeredJersey
sensisball
belovedfrosties
GunsGerms
Geordie
gowershowerpower
thebluesmancometh
33 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 Empty Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 12:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly all the talk is about how amazing the Aussie Super teams skill levels are and how they are all playing immensely... Despite the league format proving otherwise, and all teams similar standings to last seasons finish.

He loves to highlight how goo players like AAC, Folau, and JOC are, despite 2 having poor games this morning showing little going forward and totally outclassed by Inman and English.

Then we talk about the strengths of the Aus team... The back row Shocked

Then Cooper will definately be named in the Aus team, despite him being told he has to defend in the front line to prove himself for international rugby and him not doing so much at all! Lynagh is convinced Cooper and Beale should be named and assessed at the camp, how can Beale be assessed where he is now? And surely for all Coopers weaknesses what he brings to any team isn't up for debate, it's his attitude toward everything, and Deans relationship!

And lastly Lynagh scoffs at the perceived weakness of the Aus scrum and physicality, as they beat both Wales and England in the Autumn and their scrum was the better despite being weakened...

Oh Mr Lynagh you sure know how to make astute observations.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 Empty Re: Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 9:44 am

Cooper simply isnt a 15 a side rugby player. He is a 7s man who got lost.

It is true that he can cause havoc but its usually to the detriment of his own team.

Yes he is exciting to watch and he can make the odd break but if you want an OH with an attitude that stinks and that cant kick goals and needs the rest of his team to defend his channel then he is your man.

He was however, found out at the world cup as predicted and has hardly played test rugby since. I predict if he does feature in the Lions series it will be once the series has already been won or lost.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 Empty Re: Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 28 May 2013, 10:56 am

Linebreaker wrote:

Well he obviously tackled a lot better than Sexton did last year in the embarrassing 60-0 massacre. Your man is a complete turnstile... however, I don't expect you to offer an explanation for this gaping hole in his 'skill set' or add to the debate.

The lucky 5-point win (happens about once every 10 years) still didn't help Ireland finish above the Wallabies - who once again swept Wales (Ireland's stumbling block yet again) aside with relative ease. That Group match was obviously your World Cup Final.

You guys really know how to set the bar high! Laugh

To answer your last question in three words, Taylor: nothing much really.

Anyway, back on topic. Michael Lynagh is probably spot on as usual.

Collecting that pop-up pass at Landsdowne Rd in the '91 Semi Final... and the shocking silence that followed as the Wallabies went on to win our first World Cup.

Something most of you 'knowledgeable' posters (blinkered more like!) can only dream about.
(I won't post it up again. You all know the one) OK

You obviously have never seen Sexton play if you think he's a turnstile,he regularly stops props and backrows on the charge and holds them up while support comes in to force a choke tackle.If you're so ignorant about him that you can so completely miss one his major strengths then there's not point having a discussion.You've made up your mind without actually watching him play.

You also keep referring back to the 0-60 defeat as if he was somehow solely responsible when anyone with ano unce of sense would realise it takes a shocking misfire from all 15-22 players and the management for a result like that.However you appear to be looking for a reaction as you refer to a lucky 5 point win when it was the most comfortable 5 point win I've ever seen from Ireland.Oz had nothing and I would say Cooper was anonymous only for if you watch the highlights you can see him being hammered in the tackle and throwing interceptions as he choked when a decent defense put him under pressure.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 28 May 2013, 10:59 am

Taylorman wrote:

Yes its all opinion and in mine Cooper has caused more havoc in test matches and admittedly lately in sxv matches against our sides than Sexton could ever hope to. He is a player that has caused our side huge concern on occasion and for me that is how I judge a player. Sexton is never singled out by the AB camp as a player to worry about.

Cooper has at times made top sides look stupid. Yes he has had his bad days and that goes with his style and confidence but for me his best is streets ahead of Sexton and therefore more of a concern for any upcoming test match.

With Sexton the Ozzies know exactly what he will and can do. There will be no surprises. With Cooper you NHers have no idea what Cooper will do if and when he plays and you will be 'relying' on the jekyl cooper to front, rather than the Hyde. Then like many a team, you could all end up looking plain stupid dismissing him as a 10. We don't make mistakes like that.

So you are judging Cooper based on his teams performances instead of on his own ability.I've said it before and I will again,now that Ireland has a decent coach I think you'll be revising that opinion in the next year or 2.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 11:32 am

Just did a wee clean up as the thread was disappearing down the dunny at a rate of knots

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 28 May 2013, 11:32 am

You forgot that he is very fast ASLS... Cool

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 28 May 2013, 11:33 am

One of the fastest 10's around boxing

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 11:34 am

Thanks Kiwi. It was getting out of hand but I'll ignore them in future.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 May 2013, 11:39 am

Linebreaker wrote:Thanks Kiwi. It was getting out of hand but I'll ignore them in future.
Ya gotsta be strong mate.

Don't look in the hole of delusions, it is place you'll never come back from. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 11:44 am

Word out of Australia is that Kurtley Beale will be back playing for Randwick in Sydney club rugby this weekend, and could be back in the frame for Australian selection (as long as he stays away from Melbourne & temptation)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10886678

So Deans might pick him at 10 ahead of Cooper
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 11:44 am

Thanks for your Report, soreshoulder. OK

You're as tough as rice paper! ... no wonder your shoulder's crook.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 May 2013, 11:45 am

Hmmm, this sure got a nasty twinge added to it since last time I looked.

It's getting hot in here so tak........................................; no don't....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 11:46 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Word out of Australia is that Kurtley Beale will be back playing for Randwick in Sydney club rugby this weekend, and could be back in the frame for Australian selection (as long as he stays away from Melbourne & temptation)

I posted that news nearly 2 days ago, Kiwi. Whistle He's our Last Chance Saloon.... laughing

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 11:47 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Word out of Australia is that Kurtley Beale will be back playing for Randwick in Sydney club rugby this weekend, and could be back in the frame for Australian selection (as long as he stays away from Melbourne & temptation)

Saw that yesterday. Hope he makes the series. Very good player.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 28 May 2013, 11:48 am

Linebreaker wrote:Thanks for your Report, soreshoulder. OK

No problem,just behave yourself in future and we'll be fine thumbsup

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 11:49 am

Oh its heating up alright. Saturday 19:30 is where it all begins. This place will be hopping.

BaBas team looks quite good actually.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 28 May 2013, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 11:49 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Thanks for your Report, soreshoulder. OK

No problem,just behave yourself in future and we'll be fine thumbsup

Laugh Rice paper is sort of tough you know...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 11:50 am

Linebreaker wrote:

I posted that news nearly 2 days ago, Kiwi. Whistle He's our Last Chance Saloon.... laughing

Doh

(yes I have been largely off-line over the long weekend)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 May 2013, 11:55 am

unumbilicalised is the technical term Peter Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 11:58 am

Billtong no doubt you will be looking forward to seeing how Jaque Fourie
fares v the lions for the BaBas. Actually has the team been picked yet?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 12:00 pm

SecretFly wrote:unumbilicalised is the technical term Peter Wink

Laugh

I spent Saturday interviewing professional wrestlers (and dodging ubergeeks) in Milton Keynes for v2 Doh
Had a migraine Sunday, then got distracted by nice weather yesterday
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 12:03 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:

Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 810156456

I spent Saturday interviewing professional wrestlers (and dodging ubergeeks) in Milton Keynes for v2 Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 56390

but V2 doesnt have a wrestling section?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 28 May 2013, 12:06 pm

Just remembered what the OP was and wanted to say how happy I am to see Lynagh back as a pundit with seemingly a full recovery after his stroke. Along with Blanco and Hastings he was one of my fave non ABs growing up as a child. Good to see him recover from that scare.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 May 2013, 12:07 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

I spent Saturday interviewing professional wrestlers (and dodging ubergeeks) in Milton Keynes for v2 Micheal Lynagh... On the Ball As Usual - Page 3 56390

We do if you scroll down far enough Wink

https://www.606v2.com/t44545-v2-interviews-tara#2082136
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 28 May 2013, 12:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

We do if you scroll down far enough Wink

https://www.606v2.com/t44545-v2-interviews-tara#2082136

Ha, thats funny youre right, I actually have never scrolled down that far. theres lots of stuff down there. More an MMA fan anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 May 2013, 12:12 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Just remembered what the OP was and wanted to say how happy I am to see Lynagh back as a pundit with seemingly a full recovery after his stroke. Along with Blanco and Hastings he was one of my fave non ABs growing up as a child. Good to see him recover from that scare.

Yeah, I don't care what Lynagh might say just as long as he's in a happy enough mood to say it and is back enjoying his life and rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 12:52 pm

Yeah, he's still get a good head on his shoulders. Always on the ball!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 28 May 2013, 12:56 pm

I can't remember LB. Why was he called Noddy? I keep confusing his nickname with John Eales (Nobody as in Nobody's perfect). Noddy's perfect sounds a bit promiscuous due to the Enid Blyton heritage surrounding that name. Can you enlighten me, mate?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 1:03 pm

It was just a nickname given to him by his team-mates due his cool, calm & collected attitude and his naturally unassuming behaviour on the field.

This childlike nickname belied a dedicated, talented, and courageous Rugby player. Although described as “reserved and rarely outspoken” Lynagh’s status as one of Australia’s and the world’s greatest ever players was honed through hard work that moulded his tremendous talent.

So just a 'nod' and 'get on with it' character, I suppose.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 28 May 2013, 1:08 pm

So he wasn't a taxi driver or had Big Ears. Good to hear. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May 2013, 1:10 pm

So much guesswork in this thread! Sexton is a good 10, but top class at club level =/= the same at International level, and in the NH =/= in the SH. He may be even better in an Ireland with no Kidney but at this point that is conjecture, and people being so dismissive of players who have played so well for Club and Country and achieved what Cooper and JOC have is pretty silly. Sexton, JOC, Cooper, Cruden, all are excellent players but all have had times where they have been bettered and only time will show which will be the true greats, like Carter. Anything before then is guesswork though we will see Sexton vs JOC soon I think.

But saying Sexton would push Carter out to 12 is just silly. Lots of people have argued that Sexton isn't even the best 10 in Leinster on raw talent
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Sad that one of Noddy's best pals was written out of history to help adults get over themselves.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 28 May 2013, 1:37 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:So much guesswork in this thread! Sexton is a good 10, but top class at club level =/= the same at International level, and in the NH =/= in the SH. He may be even better in an Ireland with no Kidney but at this point that is conjecture, and people being so dismissive of players who have played so well for Club and Country and achieved what Cooper and JOC have is pretty silly. Sexton, JOC, Cooper, Cruden, all are excellent players but all have had times where they have been bettered and only time will show which will be the true greats, like Carter. Anything before then is guesswork though we will see Sexton vs JOC soon I think.

But saying Sexton would push Carter out to 12 is just silly. Lots of people have argued that Sexton isn't even the best 10 in Leinster on raw talent

It's all opinions but I'm not being dismissive of anyone except Cooper who I feel is flash but has a few glaring weaknesses which mean he can't be considered a reallly top class 10.I have seen enough of Sexton to know how good he is and while you might think I'm only guessing when I say he'll be better under new management for the international team I assure you I'm not.I've seen what he can do at club level against teams who are full of current and former internationals and I know that with a coherent plan for the team to follow and the better quality of player he'll be playing with that imo he will start performing like he has for Leinster.

That doesn't just apply to him,that applies to all the Irish players,I'm very confident that barring an injury crisis we'll beat Oz in November and give NZ a really good rattle while getting at least 4 wins in the 6N although I have very high hopes of the Slam.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May 2013, 1:42 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:So much guesswork in this thread! Sexton is a good 10, but top class at club level =/= the same at International level, and in the NH =/= in the SH. He may be even better in an Ireland with no Kidney but at this point that is conjecture, and people being so dismissive of players who have played so well for Club and Country and achieved what Cooper and JOC have is pretty silly. Sexton, JOC, Cooper, Cruden, all are excellent players but all have had times where they have been bettered and only time will show which will be the true greats, like Carter. Anything before then is guesswork though we will see Sexton vs JOC soon I think.

It's all opinions but I'm not being dismissive of anyone except Cooper who I feel is flash but has a few glaring weaknesses which mean he can't be considered a reallly top class 10.I have seen enough of Sexton to know how good he is and while you might think I'm only guessing when I say he'll be better under new management for the international team I assure you I'm not.I've seen what he can do at club level against teams who are full of current and former internationals and I know that with a coherent plan for the team to follow and the better quality of player he'll be playing with that imo he will start performing like he has for Leinster.

That doesn't just apply to him,that applies to all the Irish players,I'm very confident that barring an injury crisis we'll beat Oz in November and give NZ a really good rattle while getting at least 4 wins in the 6N although I have very high hopes of the Slam.

Good luck to you, I'd hope for the same for England but I worry it won't be the case. Think you might beat Aus, but would still bet on them unless they face the same injury crisis they currently are and won't get near the ABs in all likelihood. But we will see
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 28 May 2013, 11:32 pm

Oddly regarding the comment that Sexton might push DC to 12 because that is one of the options being considered here when the squad is named this Sunday. Cruden is currently streets ahead the best NZ 10 in the sxv. He outplayed carter vs Saders last week and our Reunion programme last night rammed this point home rather well. And with the new emphais on attack form anywhere he also fits that bill. Wouldnt be surprised if Cruden gets the nod ahead of a very fit DC for the first time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Wed 29 May 2013, 4:31 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Yes its all opinion and in mine Cooper has caused more havoc in test matches and admittedly lately in sxv matches against our sides than Sexton could ever hope to. He is a player that has caused our side huge concern on occasion and for me that is how I judge a player. Sexton is never singled out by the AB camp as a player to worry about.

Cooper has at times made top sides look stupid. Yes he has had his bad days and that goes with his style and confidence but for me his best is streets ahead of Sexton and therefore more of a concern for any upcoming test match.

With Sexton the Ozzies know exactly what he will and can do. There will be no surprises. With Cooper you NHers have no idea what Cooper will do if and when he plays and you will be 'relying' on the jekyl cooper to front, rather than the Hyde. Then like many a team, you could all end up looking plain stupid dismissing him as a 10. We don't make mistakes like that.

So you are judging Cooper based on his teams performances instead of on his own ability.I've said it before and I will again,now that Ireland has a decent coach I think you'll be revising that opinion in the next year or 2.

The way i read it he's judging Cooper on his ability, rather than on his teams performance eg "He is a player that has caused our side huge concern on occasion and for me that is how I judge a player". I agree with Taylorman. Cooper has more strings to his bow than the probable Lions 10, who appears to be a solid fly-half but without the flair Cooper has. Forgive my ignorance but was he the fly-half for Ireland against the AB's last year? If so, I may have to revise my opinion as whoever it was looked pretty average and completely out of his depth at times, esp in the 50 point+ flogging. The selection of who the Lions no. 10 is not a particularly big discussion here, so i assume the Wallaby coaching staff know exactly what the Lions 10 can and will do. The selection of the Wallaby 10 and the make-up of the Lions forward pack is creating far more discussion

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 29 May 2013, 5:00 am

Actually selecting the Lions 10 was big discussion until two things happened...they named the team with two 10's- Sexton and Farrell. Sexton was injured at the time and wasnt much to talk about there. Then Sexton started playing well in club and Farrell seems to lost all confiedence and gone Priestland-ish on gatland.

So Sexton it is.

For Oz, Cooper hasnt even made the squad yet everyone knows he'll be there after he's got his customary slap on the hand. So will Beale, a Deans fave, who's quietly started back I hear.

I don't really think Sexton is as bad as I say he is...I just think he's ok, a very steady 10 who ticks the right boxes. He doesnt have the x factor in the way DC, Cooper and Cruden do and is usually up against it against particularly 3N sides. I prefer a 10 who runs the show with instinct, intellect and cunning. I don't put Sexton in that category. He'll do what he's told, be in the right places etcas most good 10's do.

Sexton's the best of a very, long, long line of average NH 10's- ROG, Priestland, Farrell, Hook, Flood, Biggar, Stephen Jones and I think that makes Sexton stand out up there. None of these guys run the show and all play to a tune in what will be a very structured environment, so will Sexton.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Wed 29 May 2013, 5:33 am

Taylorman wrote:Actually selecting the Lions 10 was big discussion until two things happened...they named the team with two 10's- Sexton and Farrell. Sexton was injured at the time and wasnt much to talk about there. Then Sexton started playing well in club and Farrell seems to lost all confiedence and gone Priestland-ish on gatland.

So Sexton it is.

For Oz, Cooper hasnt even made the squad yet everyone knows he'll be there after he's got his customary slap on the hand. So will Beale, a Deans fave, who's quietly started back I hear.

I don't really think Sexton is as bad as I say he is...I just think he's ok, a very steady 10 who ticks the right boxes. He doesnt have the x factor in the way DC, Cooper and Cruden do and is usually up against it against particularly 3N sides. I prefer a 10 who runs the show with instinct, intellect and cunning. I don't put Sexton in that category. He'll do what he's told, be in the right places etcas most good 10's do.

Sexton's the best of a very, long, long line of average NH 10's- ROG, Priestland, Farrell, Hook, Flood, Biggar, Stephen Jones and I think that makes Sexton stand out up there. None of these guys run the show and all play to a tune in what will be a very structured environment, so will Sexton.

Ok. That was the opinion i had of him - solid but not spectacular. I don't have the time to watch a great deal of rugby from the NH, so can only form opinions on players when i see them play down here, which i suppose probably isn't the best way to do it as they are usually on the back-foot. Still, good players stand out, even when playing in a losing team. Halfpenny for example, was close to being (if not the) the best player from both Wales and the Wallabies last June despite not winning.

In regard to the discussion on the Lions 10 selection, i meant it wasn't (and isn't) a big talking point in Australia as fly-half isn't seen as a danger area whereas the scrum, lineout and possible centre combinations are.

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Wed 29 May 2013, 6:18 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Icu wrote:
I must have head my stuck somewhere dark over the past 2 years and not been paying attention. Cause i reckon;
Pocock: best player? Debatable. Hooper was just as effective, if not more so on the EOYT. More rounded player than Pocock. Moot point anyway. Genia is Australia's best player.
Cooper: (appears to be) a former headcase. More mature this year. Hasn't been dropped. Hasn't been in the Wallaby squad for a while. May be one of 6 players to be added on June 11. Can't wait to see how he goes for the Reds against the Lions.
JOC: Excellent? Yes, but not really as 10. The general consensus he is better on the wing or FB. Average pass. Average kicking game. Will do ok though, hopefully better. Available for the 1st test.
Digby: 2 tries in his last 13 tests hardly constitutes biggest try threat. A loss for sure but may play the 1st test anyway. More than adequately covered by Tomane, Folau and Cummins in that order. Unlike Digby, these guys can also pass and kick.
Beale: A fully fit KB would be a loss for any side. KB hasn't been at his best since 2010/11. Perhaps you have not been watching him? Still, a 80% firing KB is better than a lot of players. One of RD's favourites and will get a run if fit. However, both Barnes and Folau are far better under the high ball than KB. They can also tackle. Barnes also much better tactical kicker.
Smith: 32 is hardly old. There's a bloke called McCaw (who Smith had some epic battles with)who's that age and he still gets around alright. Smith is as tough as nails. Only out for a few weeks. Probably back for the 2nd test. Experience is a loss but covered adequately by Hooper/ Gill.

Only Pocock and TPN are definitely out for the series. No-one has been dropped, the injuries thus far are relatively minor and KB is in 'rehab' for having 1 beer when he was on an alcohol ban. The 'rehab' is more to do with responsibility, attitude and priorities than for any substance addiction. We are not in that much disarray that we'd be adding a recovering addict to the playing group - at least i think not. The squad have one more game to play then get to rest. They've been playing for 10 weeks against best players in NZ and SA so will only need a few minutes of game time to blow away the cobwebs. Unlike the Lions, they won't be getting touched up by the SXV sides no-one has been thrown out of the squad already for disciplinary reasons. Disarray? Wishful thinking on your part. Whatever helps i guess. Unless perhaps you have a direct line to the ARU and know something the rest of us don't?

As it happens I do have sources in the ARU but have not been speaking to them and I form my own opinions based on what I read and see myself.

So despite having apparent 'sources' in the ARU to whom you haven't spoken to you have concluded that the Wallabies are in disarray from reading media dribble and watching what? Highlight clips from Fox sports? The Aust sports media which is dodgy at best would be all over any story of current player disharmony and so far there's been zip. There is an overwhelming bias to AFL and NRl in the sports media here and journo's who follow those sports would jump at the chance to stick the boot into Rugby but they haven't. Surely contacting your 'sources' within the ARU could give you a much better insight on this supposed disarray? That's what I would have done. But as I am not so well connected, i have to go and watch SXV games in the flesh - a much better way to observe who's playing well and forming opinions IMO. Maybe you should try it. Perhaps I'll catch ya at the Reds v Rebels?

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 29 May 2013, 9:50 am

Icu wrote:
So despite having apparent 'sources' in the ARU to whom you haven't spoken to you have concluded that the Wallabies are in disarray from reading media dribble and watching what? Highlight clips from Fox sports? The Aust sports media which is dodgy at best would be all over any story of current player disharmony and so far there's been zip. There is an overwhelming bias to AFL and NRl in the sports media here and journo's who follow those sports would jump at the chance to stick the boot into Rugby but they haven't. Surely contacting your 'sources' within the ARU could give you a much better insight on this supposed disarray? That's what I would have done. But as I am not so well connected, i have to go and watch SXV games in the flesh - a much better way to observe who's playing well and forming opinions IMO. Maybe you should try it. Perhaps I'll catch ya at the Reds v Rebels?

I have already summarised why I feel Australia are in a bad place right now. I am quite selective what "media drivel" I read and it easy enough to conclude re beale for example that 1 beer isnt the end of the world. However, its not the best preparation to have experienced players like Beale out of the squad with apparent attitude problems.

Yes Australia have good depth now including some really exciting up and coming players. However, while test rugby is a step up from Super rugby Id say that Lions rugby is also a step up from test rugby. Just look at the team that SA put out in the last Lions series, all very experienced players. Will Australia have this luxury? Im not so sure.

The Lions by contrast have a very experienced squad. There are no uncapped players, no injuries right now, this of course may change and no players with attitude problems now that Hartley has been replaced by a far superior player.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 10:15 am

I love the SH emotions running so strongly, Sexton is rubbish? Laugh

Carter is, and has been the best 10 on the planet for years, but Sexton's abilities and all round game is far superior to Cruden or Cooper, who both have issues in certain areas. Sexton is the nearest thing anyone has to Carter and it worries me that next season he will have a new coach and platform to play off at int level.

Re Australia, I think a lot of players are being overly hyped right now through desperation more than anything, Smith is a prime example, he's playing ok (better than anyone expected from his return) but the plaudits he's getting are seriously funny, he is bouncing around like a pinball at times, ineffective at the breakdown mostly, and he's even receiving rounds of applause for things he isn't doing (comentators going wild for an off the floor offload to score a try when in the replay he is seen as getting off the floor 15 yards from the action Laugh ) Smith is still a good player and will do a job in super rugby, but he lacks the physicality needed by todays standards and the pace of the game is a bit much for him (he has began lurking in wider channells 'looking for opportunities' while his hands are on his knees sucking in as much air as he can)

Regarding Cooper and Beale, they may be brought into the squad (if I was RD I wouldn't bother) but even if they are Cooper hasn't played international rugby (and has been stunning and ridiculous in slightly uneven amounts at club rugby) and Beale has literally just been diagnosed with the drinking problem and hasn't been playing at all, selecting them would be a sign of deseration by Deans but you could understand why he would risk it.

Aus are nothing if you compare them to the SA side of 4 years ago, 15 players plus blooded, experienced and top of their game, that was truly the best side on the planet at the time, and the lions tour was a success because they matched them for the most part (surprisingly), if the lions can repricate (and a lot of the players and coaching staff were there) that level of intensity, and performance I don't see where Aus are going to have a response, too many of their key and best performng players over the last few years have question marks, and I'd go as far to say as they are an injury to Genia away from being in serious trouble!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 29 May 2013, 10:36 am

You could say the same about the Lions and Sexton... we too are one injury away from serious trouble.

Bluesman.... one thing is certain... you don't like George Smith, did he steal your lunch money when you lads were growing up? Doesn't matter anyhow, probably won't feature now.

At the beginning of the season I thought you had to play Cooper... but after watching his performances this year in defence I just don't think AUS can risk him. He is sublime in attack, a real general... but he can't defend and he gifts the opposition points and territory. It was the Cheetahs match which was the tipping point.
With Barnes and O'Connor you have 2 very good players at 10 and 12. Their skills will compliment each other and are both good at the basics. Certainly more balanced then the Lions at those positions IMO.

Beale would be a major plus if he can get back to the side and prove himself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 29 May 2013, 10:50 am

fa0019 wrote:You could say the same about the Lions and Sexton... we too are one injury away from serious trouble.

Bluesman.... one thing is certain... you don't like George Smith, did he steal your lunch money when you lads were growing up? Doesn't matter anyhow, probably won't feature now.

At the beginning of the season I thought you had to play Cooper... but after watching his performances this year in defence I just don't think AUS can risk him. He is sublime in attack, a real general... but he can't defend and he gifts the opposition points and territory. It was the Cheetahs match which was the tipping point.
With Barnes and O'Connor you have 2 very good players at 10 and 12. Their skills will compliment each other and are both good at the basics. Certainly more balanced then the Lions at those positions IMO.

Agree with most of that. I think Farrell's only major weakness is that he does get wound up a bit especially in big tense games. I do prefer Sexton however I dont think Farrell starting would be the end of the world. Sexton does have a real winning mentality though which will help in this series.

I really hope Dean's picks Cooper because he is exciting to watch but also because it will IMO tip the balance well and truely in the Lions favour. Despite Barnes fragmented career I think he is a very decent 10 and could match or even rival Sexton on his day.

It would also be nice to see Beale start too as on from he is sublime. However, he has been dropped and slightly off form. I suspect Deans will throw him in anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Wed 29 May 2013, 11:16 am

As someone who wanted to see madigan on tour can I just add this in support of farrell, ,games he has looked poor this season is when his side has not dominated up front. I suspect this will not be an issue in Australia. For every opinion added that the power game will not be enough in oz to win, it was easy enough for Ireland in the world cup and the lions will be coming with much more weaponry in that department. Food for thought.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Wed 29 May 2013, 11:17 am

Apologies for the double post.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 29 May 2013, 11:19 am

stevetynant wrote:Apologies for the double post.

It is possible to delete double posts if you wish. Just click on the delete button on the right of the post. Beside the edit button.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 12:16 pm

fa0019 wrote:You could say the same about the Lions and Sexton... we too are one injury away from serious trouble.

I probably agree with you re Sexton, if he is targetted (and I expect him to be) he will be a big loss, but Biggar, Wilko and even Flood are waiting in the wings and I wouldn't be too scared if any of the 3 started a test, Farell struggles on the back foot and has wobbly knees of late, but I expect Gatland to instill a confidence in him as will the rest of the squad.

RE Smith, I love the guy, eagerly anticipated his return to super rugby, and have seen him play 4/5 times since Pococks injury. He is behind a pack playing very well in a very good and organised system, he had a good game when Pocock had to go off and has been living off that performance and the love of the Aus crowd a bit since. I'm not slating the guy personally, or his career at all, I was always a huge fan and he is an Aus legend, but his performances aren't what you hear or read about, he is lacking a physicality I though might return once he gets a few games under his belt, and it still might but it certainly hasn't up till now, I can show you a highlight reel of a dozen rucks he's hit in attack and defence and literally bounced off, he has created a few turnovers and won a few penalties and even put someone in for a try, but the tight 5 are probably boasting a similar if not better rate than him in every stat (unconfirmed). He isn't the same player he was 4 years ago, which is understandable, but then I am not the one screaming his praises, looking for an international return and claiming he will be the saviour of the Aus team as a lot of comentators and media are on the verge of.

I also agree on Cooper, he has looked sublime and ridiculous at times, and I still can't beleive Mckenzie? is still hiding him in defence when Deans has asked he defends in the line to prove himself. I however would have him in my squad depending on his attitude. Beale I'd have in the squad half drunk with a party hat on!

I disagree on Barnes and JOC at 10/12, JOC has looked like he is getting back to where he was but has been very weak defencively over the last few weeks, plus he'll be a 10 option won't he? Mccabe is a huge loss for Aus IMHO, he does all the dirty work ala Horne but gets very little recognition! You mention Barnes and JOC being more balanced than possible lions pairings, but I think you mean more rounded. Sexton and Roberts/Devies/Tuilagi could all be far better offencive weapons used correctly, and the bosh option provides a platform and protection of the 10 at times. Defencively Sexton and Roberts would be far superior too, Roberts leads the defencive effort from 12 and coordinates the line, not to mention protects the 10 channell (which is far better protected with Sexton than he would have to with Biggar or RP) so he could be even more agressive defencively.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 May 2013, 12:36 pm

Why are you talking about George Smith still? He's out for the series. Didn't you know?

He was only ever going to be a bench option at best (for some TV pundits) and I don't think RD would have even selected him in the side.

I feel sorry for the guy but personally I prefer our better in-form flankers who will rightly be the ones RD goes with.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Why are you talking about George Smith still? He's out for the series. Didn't you know?

He was only ever going to be a bench option at best (for some TV pundits) and I don't think RD would have even selected him in the side.

I feel sorry for the guy but personally I prefer our better in-form flankers who will rightly be the ones RD goes with.

Have to respond when an accusation of dislike happens, he is a legend of the game. He's not out for the series is he? I thought he could still make test 1, not ove Hooper or Gill mind!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 May 2013, 12:55 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Why are you talking about George Smith still? He's out for the series. Didn't you know?

Have to respond when an accusation of dislike happens, he is a legend of the game. He's not out for the series is he? I thought he could still make test 1, not ove Hooper or Gill mind!

No, it doesn't look good for him, blues. I was sitting about 25m away as he hobbled off... but it was more the look on his face at that Brumbies game. He almost gave a final wave to the faithful in the lower tier. Then RD also said on RHQ last week that it is doubtful if he will be OK even for the 3rd Test. I think he was just being diplomatic and appeasing the panel.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 29 May 2013, 12:58 pm

I'm not sure there's evidence that JOC has been poor defensively. He has had a sternum injury, prior to that he had a 89% tackle completion rate and 60-odd tackles in a poor team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next