The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong.

+21
rodders
aucklandlaurie
ChequeredJersey
Rory_Gallagher
Gibson
UlstermaninGlasgow
littleswannygirl
Pete330v2
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Thomond
WillyGilly
prop_lyd
MrsP
PenfroPete
Notch
red_stag
Cari
Hound of Harrow
Glas a du
Pal Joey
25 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong. Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong.

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 12:16 am

Hello and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The pub has made its way to Hong Kong, host city for the British & Irish Lions first Tour match before their arrival in Australia - land of the Giant Budgie Smuggler.

So grab a beer, cider, whiskey or wine.... or a warm beverage and sit back and enjoy the rugby.

Very Happy   guinness Hug  Ale   Yahoo Chef   coffee cuppa  cake  RedWine   cider clap

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Rory Best, Sam Warburton, the Limavady Luge Team, Papa Rodders, Mrs Rodders and our newest & sweetest member, Katelyn.  heart  Hug

last Pawb: https://www.606v2.com/t43001p1000-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-pyongyang

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong. Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong.

Post by rodders Mon 27 May 2013, 12:25 am

Thanks LB, Glas, all... very nice of you. Can't wait to show wee Katelyn, just as soon as I explain what 606v2.com is Smile

guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong. Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong.

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 12:26 am

Mate, you must be on Cloud 9.

Congratulations. You're already a great Da. guinness

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 27 May 2013, 12:29 am

Epic few days LB, cheers, just learning on the job mate.... just sinking in now but feels amazing yeah. Mind blowing. Baby and mummy coming home tomorrow. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 12:33 am

I just realised... the last Pub started on April 13. It was a slow burner. 44 days!

This one should rip through hopefully. They usually last about a week to 10 days normally.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 6:44 am

It ripped through the last few pages though Breaker. Hope this one picks up the momentum "going forward" (picard no! I said it! shoot me now...)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 10:44 am

Yes, it did mate. All those Finals gave it a good kick along "at the end of the day".

"You know what??" (you're getting an answer whether you like it or not!)... Smile
There were some good "synergies" at play in this "broad church of rugby knowledge and ideas" and it "came to the fore" ... just before the final whistle blew.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 27 May 2013, 11:01 am

Hello pub. Nice day here in London again.

'Blue sky thinking'.

Whistle

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 11:06 am

Sky was blue today (up until late afternoon).
It's still warm-ish believe it or not... up to 22-23 deg on Thursday, Friday and Saturday... the first day of 'winter' here. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 11:40 am

Linebreaker wrote:Yes, it did mate. All those Finals gave it a good kick along "at the end of the day".

"You know what??" (you're getting an answer whether you like it or not!)... Smile
There were some good "synergies" at play in this "broad church of rugby knowledge and ideas" and it "came to the fore" ... just before the final whistle blew.

steam

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 11:55 am

So what's the feeling like on the ground in Wales at the moment in regards to the Lion's Tour?
Are people excited? They must be leaving for HK soon.

Just saw this. Probably too late for us though? We could do with a fit and in-form KB weaving his magic on June 22!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/beale-set-for-club-rugby-return-20130527-2n7df.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Most Welsh people support the Lions as a representative team. Something like playing with guys from your main rivals and neighbours for a county team. The fact that they cheer on the Lions is because they want their boys to do well. If there were no Welshmen touring interest levels would be a lot less. There are some who will support the Lions on a political level as a metaphor for unionism, whilst some will denounce it as UKRFC and refuse to even watch. These though are tiny minorities on the extremes. In all honesty though, Gatland coaching, the strong Welsh representation and the fact it's not NZ or SA probably mean this tour has less of a buzz about it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 27 May 2013, 2:37 pm

Afternoon All coffee

I'm just enjoying Round The Horne on the iPlayer.

I'm getting quite excited about the Lions. I'd be more so if I had Sky... Wink The lads leave today. They had a farewell dinner thingy last night at the Royal Courts of Justice which is a very grand venue. I've been there a few times for work. Sadly I wasn't there last night. Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 2:46 pm

Afternoon Cari. Smile coffee

That's what I thought, Glas. Huge year for Welsh rugby.

It's been a little overshadowed here too by the Origin Series starting next week. Game 2 in Brisbane is only 4 days after the 1st Test at Lang Park (Suncorp).

Rugby is still about 4th after AFL, RL and Football (for winter sports participation and attendances... and 7th overall) but for the big Rugby Internationals and Lions Tour years there is a buzz of sorts amongst the faithful.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 27 May 2013, 2:49 pm

A strong ex-pat community will contribute to a good atmosphere. I know that there will be an unusually vibrant Lions support against the Western Force with so many guys out working in Perth.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 27 May 2013, 3:07 pm

The atmosphere at the games will be unreal. Lots of British and Irish in Perth (quite a few Saffers too!) but there are millions of either ex-pats + those with British/Irish ancestry living here on the eastern coast.

About 40-45% of the fans in the Sydney match (35,000) will be Lions supporters.
It's like more than the Thomond Park (Red of Munster) Smile spread out in huge clumps - with the other 55-60% all dressed in Gold.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 27 May 2013, 3:18 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dylan-Hartley-Lions-Shirt-Never-Worn-/111082425748?pt=UK_Rugby_Shirts&hash=item19dd074d94

That's just cruel!

censored

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 3:35 pm

Yes, absolutely right Mrs P.

Shocked

Wink

Smile

Very Happy

Laugh

It's an Englishman and it has a certain wit. If your as abrasive as Hartley on the field you need to have a thick enough skin to deal with that sort of thing.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 27 May 2013, 5:54 pm

There's gonna be some peed off Watford fans in my local in about 30 mins. They just lost the play off final at Wembley.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 6:11 pm

Get out Hound, you know it makes sense...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 27 May 2013, 6:33 pm

Watford are the local team Glas. I know a fair few of the lads. Mind you, I've a Wasps polo shirt on, and given their connection with Sarries...

Shocked

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 7:40 pm

In that case tell them they were lucky to get to the final and what did they blydi expect? Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 27 May 2013, 8:32 pm

They were fine Glas, despite losing.

Hopefully the forecast downpour tomorrow holds off in Leeds for England (& Wales) to win the test. Sorry kiwi Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 8:41 pm

Thats good anyway. i think tgey realised that getting there was an achievement after yhe end of the semi final. It's been raining steadily here since 11 o clock, so I think the test match has had it I'm afraid.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 27 May 2013, 9:08 pm

Yeah, I saw that the western side of the UK was a 'bit damp' today. Everyone looks to be copping it tomorrow Sad

Nearly 3 weeks to departure for Aus.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Ballycastle Bar, Hong Kong. 3933776953

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 9:26 pm

Your not going to the phoney war then?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 May 2013, 9:32 pm

I'm watching Western Force vs Highlanders from the weekend. That'll be a tough enough second game for the Lions if Gatland decides to bring in all the guys who have only had 10 days in camp by that point.

They're not brilliant by Super Rugby standards but they're very far from chumps. Good basics and verygood continuity based game; more than adept enough to exploit any rustiness or unfamiliarity with a new set of calls. It's fascinating in that maybe there'll be a clash of styles with a lot of what we do being centred around the set piece and forwards.

I'm psyched for the Lions, complete turn around from last week where it was all about Ulster. I'm all about the Lions now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 May 2013, 9:34 pm

My interest has dropped off a cliff I'm afraid.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 May 2013, 9:41 pm

The Highlanders sub scrum-half is one of the stars of the Japan side that is poised to make history against Wales if that helps Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 28 May 2013, 12:35 am

Sorry Notch, but Japan shouldn't be within 20 points of Wales; even allowing for the squad Wales are sending out there.

Japan's record against anyone of note is poor. Brave, but poor.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 May 2013, 12:49 am

I actually agree, I'm just playing on the the manic depressive Welsh pessimism;

https://www.606v2.com/t44342-wales-to-lose-to-japan-this-summer

It shouldn't be in doubt.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 12:56 am

They got dominated by Tonga on the weekend. Their forwards absolutely mauled them up front starving their pacy backs of the ball.

Fumiaki Tanaka is not too bad a SH for the Highlanders, always ferreting around the base of the rucks. He's a tough little nugget and has adapted quite well to the Super Rugby style of play, I think. Also Shota Hori - the Rebels hooker, will be playing but Wales should have way too much class. Wales by 28 points is my tip.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 28 May 2013, 1:10 am

Yeah, I saw that article. If you think doom and gloom will descend on you........

Wink

I watched part of a DVD of the 2003 RWC highlights yesterday*. Feck, there were some close scrapes for some of the supposed top teams in the Pools. Samoa v England. NZ v Wales and Aus v Ireland. Argentina also played some good stuff.

I'll watch the knock out games tomorrow.

* I bought that along with the 1995 SA RWC highlights DVD last summer, but hadn't taken the 2003 one out of its wrapper until midday yesterday.

The Wales qf will still scare the living crepe out of me. 3 tries to one - just don't remind the Welsh that Tonga outscored them 3 tries to 2 in the pool game but still lost.

Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 1:46 am

I was taken aback by that thread too. Talk about wishing bad luck on your team.

Hound, these last few weeks will fly by. Smile

I wrote a little piece on another article (Bluesman asked for advice on long haul flights) and I got called a wimp by kia (but he later conceded defeat and agreed with me)!

There's nothing worse than getting off a plane either smashed or feeling the inklings of some nasty bug. I suggested to him to get a prescription for antibiotics (the A/C in the aircraft is like a lottery - sometimes people can get very sick after 20+ hours) and start taking them (2 initially) the day before you fly out. I just heard on the news this morning; the yearly "this will be the worst flu season ever" down here. So it's good to feel that 'ring of confidence'. I never take sleeping pills and prefer to try and get at least 3-4 hours 'sleep' if possible on each leg.

I always eat most of the meals offered... up until the last leg. I'll have the first but then skip the breakfast. It's usually powdered eggs, chewy bacon and fake OJ, etc. Makes my guts feel a bit funny. Best thing is to eat light near the end of the flight (and drink some water!) and have a proper brekky in Brisbane when you arrive.... around 9am or whatever?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 May 2013, 6:25 am

Well, yes and no. Wales have deliberately not taken their strongest squad. I have no problems in calling this a development tour, if that's what it is say so. But in addition to leaving out good older players like Ryan Jones who would have been a huge influence in the youngsters, they have taken people like McCusker and Pretorius (who won't be international class whilst there's a hole in their harries) and have left out Navidi and other promising youngsters. Yet some youngsters have been called up who haven't played regional rugby. It's all a bit technically constipated.

And the reason my interest in the Lions has gone is the time of year. After the second week in May I have almost no interest in rugby until October.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 8:28 am

Andries Pertorious? Isn't he South African?
Geez, he get's around quickly! 4 years flies... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 28 May 2013, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the advice Lb.
OK

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Thanks for the advice Lb.
OK

Not a problem, mate. Smile

Some mild bickering going on in another thread. (I got drawn into it like a prawn to a steel cage) Think I need a wee rest now!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 1:16 pm

Did anyone else notice that the commentator in the AP final actually got to say,

"Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over..."?

Bet that made his day!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 28 May 2013, 1:33 pm

MrsP wrote:Did anyone else notice that the commentator in the AP final actually got to say,

"Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over..."?

Bet that made his day!

Very Happy

Another example of the "football mentality" infecting the game Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 2:16 pm

Headscratch

Do you mean the commentator or the kids on the pitch?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Don't worrry Mrs P, its his time of the month Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 28 May 2013, 2:24 pm

MrsP - "Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over..."? thumbsup

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Ah ha!

I wonder how long he has bee waiting to get to use that line in commentary?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 May 2013, 2:36 pm

Since 1966...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 2:42 pm

laughing

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue 28 May 2013, 5:34 pm

Guess I'll check in here then!! Great time in Dublin and good to meet up with a few people too!! Back to the bump and grind of work but....I took the new job offer and we've had an offer accepted for a house Yahoo
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 May 2013, 5:47 pm

New house new baby.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 28 May 2013, 9:26 pm

Evening all.

Glas, you played in the front row, yes?

Would you ever have given the opposition front row the satisfaction of hearing you tell your team mates that you were up against it in the scrum?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 28 May 2013, 9:30 pm

MrsP I would question whether many front rows still pride themselves on their scrum work.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next