The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then?

+6
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
superflyweight
hazharrison
azania
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
10 posters

Go down

Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then? Empty Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then?

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 May 2013, 12:17 pm

Ok, so it seems everybody feels as though Groves has progressed better than Degale. Seems to be winning at the slightly higher level with more ease and looking more comfortable in doing so. He's a smart kid and seems to love learning and without a doubt appears to be improving more and more with every fight.

In comparison to Degale who just seems to be stuck on a certain level, not winning well enough and seems to be giving his opponents too much opportunity to get into the fight. He also doesn't seem to have much versatility, whereas Groves seems to be able to box at different gameplans, change his style and his look and his approach to fights depending on the opponent. Whereas Degale appears to only be able to box off the back foot and if he can't keep his opponent off with his movement and his power shots then he isn't all that effective. Degale slaps slightly with his hooks rather than turning the knuckle in to put in as much power as he can into his punches which could be a reason.

Despite all of this I would still actually make a rematch between the pair of them a bit of a 50/50. I think no matter what has happened, these two will always be close, both will be right at the top of there game with the genuine rivalry that is between them. That bitter jealously that they have just makes for that extra bit of nervousness to put these two together. I would favour Groves... (As I did last time.. Ahem just putting that one out there) but I still think it could be anyone's on the night.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then? Empty Re: Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 12:21 pm

Irrelevant question because it's not going to happen...........

However too close to call for me............As I believe Groves fought the best fight he could and Degale was sloppy.........and even then I had it by just one round......

Degale by decision..........Not sold on Georgey.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then? Empty Re: Degale vs. Groves Rematch - Who Wins Then?

Post by azania Tue 28 May 2013, 12:24 pm

Much depends on degale. He is the more talented fighter but groves the more intelligent one. Groves utilises much more of his ability and with degale you always feel that there's more to come.

Perhaps groves has his number. I'd still see a narrow win for groves which could go either way.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 28 May 2013, 12:32 pm

DeGale looked much better in his last outing (citing a knee injury for those poor performances on Channel 5 where he largely languished against the ropes).

Groves has come on a great deal since their last meeting (especially defensively) but DeGale appeared the stronger of the two and fought like the puncher (Groves had to counter-punch rather than power his way to victory).

I don't think they're on one another's radar at present but the rematch will come down the line and it will be just as tough to split them.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 28 May 2013, 12:37 pm

azania wrote:Much depends on degale. He is the more talented fighter but groves the more intelligent one. Groves utilises much more of his ability and with degale you always feel that there's more to come.

Perhaps groves has his number. I'd still see a narrow win for groves which could go either way.

I must be going mad. I agree with every word of this.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 May 2013, 12:46 pm

superflyweight wrote:
azania wrote:Much depends on degale. He is the more talented fighter but groves the more intelligent one. Groves utilises much more of his ability and with degale you always feel that there's more to come.

Just relax and breath SFW, breath!!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 12:54 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Just relax and breath SFW, breath!!!!
What? you agree with a win for Groves THAT COULD GO EITHER WAY!?!?!?

Are you all drunk?

Anyway, I watched Groves on Saturday and thought he looked great for the large part but then switched off (round four I think) and got dragged into a brawl that he'd been avoiding for the first part of the fight. If he does that against DeGale he's likely to struggle more than he would by staying on his toes.

Froch did exactly the same thing with Kessler (those first three rounds were some of the best boxing I've ever seen from Froch and then he decided to undo all that good work by being "a warrior" - Ward will beat him to a pulp if he fights like that against him)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 28 May 2013, 12:57 pm

It will always be close, both fights were and while Groves does seem to have moved a level higher they're still not that far apart

I actually had Degale winning by a point in the first (pro) fight, haven't rewatched it though. I think that Groves got the game plan spot on and yet didnt dominate Degale. In a rematch Degale will be a little more aware that Groves will be on the backfoot which is what he does in every fight

I think groves win but it'll still be close and will split opinion. The pressure is on groves now whereas in the first fight it was on degale

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Groves is 2-0, has progressed and shown he can learn and adapt, both in the ring and out of it.

DeGale has done nothing since their last fight, is still with the same useless donkey trainer and won't show any improvement in a rematch.

Still, that gives him hope as it'll still be close. SD either way or Groves KO/TKO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:15 pm

2-0 is misleading..........

One was an amateur fight which means zilcho and the other a decision that could have gone either way..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Still 2-0

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:27 pm

Just saying it doesn't tell the whole story and it's not a sensible way of predicting further scuffles between them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:40 pm

Maybe not a predictor (slightly ironic given your love of polls) but it colours the thinking. Twice beaten, twice Groves found a way to win against a supposedly more talented fighter, all adds to the psychology.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:40 pm

Not when Degale thinks he was robbed.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not when Degale thinks he was robbed.

Especially when De Gale thinks he was robbed!! Total psychological head f***!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 28 May 2013, 2:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Maybe not a predictor (slightly ironic given your love of polls) but it colours the thinking. Twice beaten, twice Groves found a way to win against a supposedly more talented fighter, all adds to the psychology.

I've heard he lieks them to be large also TopHat...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 28 May 2013, 6:35 pm

Groves has made the bigger improvements in my opinion and i could only see him winning it easier next time and if he sits down on his shots maybe even Knocks Degale out. Groves was a boy last time, now he is a man with what seems like ever growing power in his fists, as well as a fast improving defence and skills. Degale still looks the same man who lost the first row and i think he can really only fight one fight, Groves has the boxing brain to adapt and change mid fight if need be.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 28 May 2013, 6:59 pm

Groves wins.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 28 May 2013, 7:10 pm

DeGale for me is a bit of a waste of talent. I wanted Groves to win in their fight because DeGale was an arrogant idiot who had no respect for his opponent and actually thought his silky skills and power would prevail.

On paper he should have walked it. However, as previously stated, Groves fought a great fight whereas DeGale really only did "about enough". In this case, it wasn't enough. Since then he's been fighting lazily and only at about 70% of his ability.

Have to say though, if they fought again in their next fight, Groves beats him again; this time by a bigger margin.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down