The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

+87
LondonTiger
Feckless Rogue
toml
Knowsit17
kingelderfield
Gibson
JimmySarries
LeinsterFan4life
gelodge
Hookisms and Hyperbole
cakeordeath
Sgt_Pooly
George Carlin
BamBam
EnglishReign
caz
Hood83
Cumbrian
Good Golly I'm Olly
greg_12345
GLove39
wickedwasp
sickofwendy
Steffan
Cyril
Cari
Scrumpy
The Great Aukster
trebellbobaggins
InjuredYetAgain
robbo277
Portnoy's Complaint
markb
Taffineastbourne
nathan
reallybored
doctor_grey
Duty281
HammerofThunor
Biltong
king_carlos
100%beefy
Rory_Gallagher
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
belovedfrosties
ChequeredJersey
flankertye
Totalflanker
Scrumdown
BlueNote
Rugby Fan
Notch
dragonbreath
RubyGuby
Pal Joey
MarcusHalberstram
Submachine
boomeranga
Jimpy
munkian
Hound of Harrow
Tramptastic
stevetynant
RDW
SecretFly
Breadvan
Mickado
GunsGerms
fa0019
flyhalffactory
Gretgael1
thebluesmancometh
Standulstermen
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Pot Hale
wanderingdragon
jimmyinthewell68
petethepete
wales606
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
t1000advancedprototype
mrzimmerman
91 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) - Page 14 Empty Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 30 May 2013, 6:22 am

First topic message reminder :

The team has been named. What do you think? Predictions for the match?

British & Irish Lions:
S Hogg (Scotland); A Cuthbert (Wales), J Davies (Wales), J Roberts (Wales), S Maitland (Scotland); O Farrell (England), M Phillips (Wales); M Vunipola (England), R Hibbard (Wales), A Jones (Wales), R Gray (Scotland), P O’Connell (Ireland, capt), D Lydiate (Wales), J Tipuric (Wales), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: T Youngs (England), C Healy (Ireland), M Stevens (England), A W Jones (Wales), J Heaslip (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland), J Sexton (Ireland), G North (Wales).

Barbarians:

15 Jared Payne, 14 Joe Rokocoko, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Casey Laulala, 11 Taku Ngwenya, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Sergio Parisse,
7 Sam Jones, 6 Samu Manoa, 5 Dean Mumm, 4 Marco Wentzel, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Paul James.

Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jim Hamilton, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Andrea Lo Cicero, 21 Kahn Fotuali'i, 22 James Hook, 23 Mike Tindall.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) - Page 14 Empty Re: Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

nathan wrote:i'm pretty suprised nobody has jumped on Phillips for taunting the opposition when he went to score his try, what with all the hoo haa about Delon Armitage recently.....

By pointing his hand out when diving over to score...?

You are being rather far fetched. Delon Armitage aimed his retort directly at Butch James, mocking his inability to prevent the try. Pretty sure that is not what Phillips did whatsoever, hense not being treated the same way...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) - Page 14 Empty Re: Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:By pointing his hand out when diving over to score...?

Leaving aside Armitage comparisons, I don't think anyone regards what he did as a particularly classy act.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

I think he realised halfway through his action to tone it down. Fair enough.. he was excited but it wasn't aimed directly at anyone, was it?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:15 pm

Not sure, LB, I saw it mentioned somewhere that Phillips was quick to clarify post-match that no disrespect was intended at all and that he was just messing around with his club teammate, Joe Roks? But perhaps I imagined that Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:22 pm

If you look at it closely... you can almost see his facial expression change as he ponders the "Armitage Indiscretion", the greater good of the Game of Rugby and the Code of Conduct, which explicitly states: "Thou shalt not Showboat and/or ridicule opposition players, fans and associated staff or mascots.... on the way to the try-line" laughing

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:i'm pretty suprised nobody has jumped on Phillips for taunting the opposition when he went to score his try, what with all the hoo haa about Delon Armitage recently.....

By pointing his hand out when diving over to score...?

You are being rather far fetched. Delon Armitage aimed his retort directly at Butch James, mocking his inability to prevent the try. Pretty sure that is not what Phillips did whatsoever, hense not being treated the same way...!

your so one eyed maes!

he didn't point his hand in the air as a fair few players do when scoring a try. he pointed to where he was going to score in full view of the baa baa' full back. how can that be anything other than a taunt?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I think he realised halfway through his action to tone it down. Fair enough.. he was excited but it wasn't aimed directly at anyone, was it?

I would imagine the baa baa's full back who was chasing him down.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:By pointing his hand out when diving over to score...?

Leaving aside Armitage comparisons, I don't think anyone regards what he did as a particularly classy act.

I don't dispute that, most people consider him a prize winning prat of a guy most of the time.

Shame the days of solemnly returning to your half and maybe accepting a handshake from a team mate if your try was spectacular enough to be replayed endlessly for eternity, are long passed...! Many of us cherish them all the more now.

My point above was that, despite both being unnecessary actions, there is a huge difference between the two instances described. Even considering both players have a poor reputation for personal behaviour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

Phillips admitted taunting his clubmate Rokocoko with the gesture in his post match interview. He has some catching up to do on Armitage but actions like that will close the distance.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Not sure, LB, I saw it mentioned somewhere that Phillips was quick to clarify post-match that no disrespect was intended at all and that he was just messing around with his club teammate, Joe Roks? But perhaps I imagined that Headscratch

Thats exactly what he said, banter between team mates

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:47 pm

IronMike wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Not sure, LB, I saw it mentioned somewhere that Phillips was quick to clarify post-match that no disrespect was intended at all and that he was just messing around with his club teammate, Joe Roks? But perhaps I imagined that Headscratch

Yup, that's the impression I got from Phillips' comments as well.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

IronMike wrote:

I hadn't seen those comments, it makes it a little better although i'd still prefer no taunting whatsoever.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

robbo277 wrote:
IronMike wrote:

Yup, that's the impression I got from Phillips' comments as well.

I heard him apologise for something when accepting the Man of the match champagne.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

Yeah, here's the interview for anyone who would like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxehHa8FX1M

Comes across with a fair amount of humility in all fairness, critical of his own performance and eager to quell rumours such as these about his taunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

If anyone's interested, here's the Sydney Morning Herald's report...

SMH Lions report

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 6:07 pm

Very critical of the Lions, as expected, but clutching at straws it seems. Was the Babas try the 'try of the match'? Debatable.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 02 Jun 2013, 6:43 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:If anyone's interested, here's the Sydney Morning Herald's report...

SMH Lions report

Meh. Predictable. Hopefully after the Western Force game, they'll be able to give slightly more respect.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 02 Jun 2013, 6:51 pm

If Farrell had made the final pass then that nearly try would easily be the try of the match, as he didn't I reckon its fair to say the Barbarians try was the best!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 02 Jun 2013, 6:54 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:If anyone's interested, here's the Sydney Morning Herald's report...

SMH Lions report

Meh. Predictable. Hopefully after the Western Force game, they'll be able to give slightly more respect.

More respect?

You're kidding, right? The Aussie media haven't got started - they just love a beat up - particularly when it's against the Poms and/or the UK generally.

Should be lots of fun in the coming weeks.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

To be fair they get the tradional 'digs' in early, then it's decent enough match report, acknowledging the difficult conditions.

But they had to get a dig in Wink

I like to read the 'alternative view' be it club websites on my teams' games or other countries' media for internationals.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

BamBam - good call. That 'nearly' try was a fantastic move, and only prevented by some last ditch, desperate defence.

I thought the play for Cuthbert's first try was pretty good too.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:14 pm

I didn't find much to disagree with in that report. It's difficult to be overly critical of an 8 try win, and for the mistakes that were made the report does suggest the heat and humidity as being a major factor.
One player takes most of the flack, but then it can be argued that from watching Farrell in that particular game the criticism might be justified.
Terrible conditions to impress in though, and I hope Gats starts Farrell in the next game.

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:23 pm

Notch wrote:People need to chill out. Its like you're not allowed to criticise a Welsh player.

Lydiate is a decent 6 but I'd be surprised if he made the test side. He's an amazing defender and little else. Croft offers more at the tail and with ball in hand.

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) - Page 14 429063825

of course you are...their nationality is irrelevant now.

I think Croft offers more but the big issue is how Tipuric does because he offers much more than Warbs at 7, I would like to see him at 7 though believe that is unlikely...this would leave the option of moving Warbs to 8 and Croft at 6. However i think it is just as likely SOB will start at 6 or 8.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:10 pm

I would like to ask the English supporters on here about Corft as they seem to be his biggest critics .We hear what Croft offers in the line out and out on the wing scoreing tries But he seems to be found wanting at the coal face and believe me if every one of the back row does not play there part at the break down Australia will destroy the Lions This is not a critisium of Croft but to hear what people think about his work at the breakdown as that is what he will be expected to do first and foremost as a back row we already have 6ft plus wingers already who can manage in that department

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:36 pm

nathan wrote:
IronMike wrote:

I hadn't seen those comments, it makes it a little better although i'd still prefer no taunting whatsoever.

You do make yourself look a bit foolish with your attempted backtrack, especially given you said taunting the fullback at first too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

Notch wrote:People need to chill out. Its like you're not allowed to criticise a Welsh player.

Lydiate is a decent 6 but I'd be surprised if he made the test side. He's an amazing defender and little else. Croft offers more at the tail and with ball in hand.

Rubbish. I would welcome fair criticism of a Welsh player. I have always posted fairly with regards to Lydiate and welcome fair discussion on him. He is not limited. Half of the justification of Croft over Lydiate as an example is Lydiate can't offer anything in a lineout, but then I am pretty sure I saw Lydiate at the tail a few times. It depends what you want from your 6. Croft is better in the loose, as he tends to allow himself to be stood out pretty wide. Lydiate tends to get too involved near the contact area.

This is much the same as the Hogg v Halfpenny comparison rubbish you get on here. One allegedly a better defender, one a better attacker. Much as the same as that, I just wish people wouldn't look to overly criticise whoever gets the nod.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

If we're discussing Wednesday's game, then if Warburton is fit Gatland will want him to start. Heaslip should be at 8, then either O'Brien or Croft at 6.

I reckon most of the starters from yesterday will be given a rest, so it could be largely a combined Leinster/Leicester line up, with maybe Best at 2, Evans at 4, Bowe and North on the wings.

Gats may want another look at Murray at 9 as he looked up for it when he came on. Does he pick Halfpenny or Kearney at 15? I suspect 1/2p as he didn't feature yesterday.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:If we're discussing Wednesday's game, then if Warburton is fit Gatland will want him to start. Heaslip should be at 8, then either O'Brien or Croft at 6.

I reckon most of the starters from yesterday will be given a rest, so it could be largely a combined Leinster/Leicester line up, with maybe Best at 2, Evans at 4, Bowe and North on the wings.

Gats may want another look at Murray at 9 as he looked up for it when he came on. Does he pick Halfpenny or Kearney at 15? I suspect 1/2p as he didn't feature yesterday.

I think Warburton will be rested again, though he is likely fit. Just to give him that few more days rest, particularly after another longish flight where his knee may swell again.

I think we will get

Jenkins
Best
Cole
Evans
Parling
Croft
O'Brien
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Tuilagi
BO'D
Bowe
Halfpenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:24 pm

Linebreaker wrote:If you look at it closely... you can almost see his facial expression change as he ponders the "Armitage Indiscretion", the greater good of the Game of Rugby and the Code of Conduct, which explicitly states: "Thou shalt not Showboat and/or ridicule opposition players, fans and associated staff or mascots.... on the way to the try-line" laughing

I saw that too. I reckon POC said he'd knock de livin schitt out of him, if he did it and meant it. He remembered that mid-dive. Just guessin like.

The Paddies are there to make sure the Welsh dont get too far ahead of themselves. And to replace most of them by the 2nd Test. Always happens. There will be 6 Leinster players and a token Ulsterman & Munsterman in the final shake-up

A Gatland master-stroke. In all fairness.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

Surely it would be better to start the Paddies after their international season this year. Start with a bang and go to toilet. Let them blitz the Aussies in the first test (until they switch off), have the English for the second test and they can lead the way, then the Taffs can finish the job. 3-0 Lions, goodnight Irene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Surely it would be better to start the Paddies after their international season this year. Start with a bang and go to toilet. Let them blitz the Aussies in the first test (until they switch off), have the English for the second test and they can lead the way, then the Taffs can finish the job. 3-0 Lions, goodnight Irene.

Fair points there Rev. I'll inwardly digest that one and get straight back to you butt.

P.S. Ive still never washed that sweaty Kinloss shirt darlin.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:If we're discussing Wednesday's game, then if Warburton is fit Gatland will want him to start. Heaslip should be at 8, then either O'Brien or Croft at 6.

I think Warburton will be rested again, though he is likely fit. Just to give him that few more days rest, particularly after another longish flight where his knee may swell again.

I think we will get.

Jenkins
Best
Cole
Evans
Parling
Croft
O'Brien
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Tuilagi
BO'D
Bowe
Halfpenny

Fair comment Rev. Jenkins may well start - Healy showed up pretty well yesterday, and really doesn't have much to prove.

Let's hope the captain gets some game time asap. Important for him, and the squad.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm

As Gatland said all players would have a full game in the first 3 matches, I would have thought all the replacements yesterday if they had no ill effects they would start Wednesday, that is North, Sexton, Murray, Healy, Youngs, Stevens, Jones and Heaslip starting, I would fill in with Halfpenny, Bowe, Bod, Tualagi, Parling, Sob and Sam if fit, if not Sob to 7 and Croft in, leaving Kearney, Youngs, Jenkins, Best, Cole, Evans and Croft who would all start next Saturday, but hey this is Gatland selecting so it could be totally different.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

Gibson wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Surely it would be better to start the Paddies after their international season this year. Start with a bang and go to toilet. Let them blitz the Aussies in the first test (until they switch off), have the English for the second test and they can lead the way, then the Taffs can finish the job. 3-0 Lions, goodnight Irene.

Fair points there Rev. I'll inwardly digest that one and get straight back to you butt.

P.S. Ive still never washed that sweaty Kinloss shirt darlin.

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

I think we will get.

Jenkins
Best
Cole
Evans
Parling
Croft
O'Brien
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Tuilagi
BO'D
Bowe
Halfpenny

Fair comment Rev. Jenkins may well start - Healy showed up pretty well yesterday, and really doesn't have much to prove.

Let's hope the captain gets some game time asap. Important for him, and the squad.

I said on another thread and thought I did on this one too, that Healy was photo'd with Best and Cole on scrummaging practise. Think it was from today (but not 100%), so Jenkins is fit and ready to train, but that would suggest those three are the frontrow for Wednesday.

I just think Jenkins needs the minutes more than Healy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Phillips admitted taunting his clubmate Rokocoko with the gesture in his post match interview. He has some catching up to do on Armitage but actions like that will close the distance.

All joking aside, tbh, I don't particularly like the chap. Don't know im... but. Hartley is another one. As is Ashton. Don't know him either, not on a sexual basis anyway.

But, Phillips really showed his class in the post-game interview. His words represented everything that is good about the Lions.

He was a leader out there.

Mike Gibson said that a Lions Tour takes you to another level as a player, mentally. He was right.

Players like Sam Warburton don't need telling. Like BOD & POC, he was born to be a Lion.

Mike needs to learn that from others around him, but he's grand. He will scare the shoite out of the Aussies.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

Hey, finally an appreciation of the guys busting a gut to make us happy here in the NH.

Long may it continue.

thumbsup

How it hanging Gibbo? Epic weekend in Dublin for the Euro finals Smile

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

I think we will get.

Jenkins
Best
Cole
Evans
Parling
Croft
O'Brien
Heaslip
Youngs
Sexton
North
Tuilagi
BO'D
Bowe
Halfpenny

I said on another thread and thought I did on this one too, that Healy was photo'd with Best and Cole on scrummaging practise. Think it was from today (but not 100%), so Jenkins is fit and ready to train, but that would suggest those three are the frontrow for Wednesday.

I just think Jenkins needs the minutes more than Healy.

Yep. Looks good to me. Liking the Youngs/Sexton combo. That one could fire.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14