The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

+87
LondonTiger
Feckless Rogue
toml
Knowsit17
kingelderfield
Gibson
JimmySarries
LeinsterFan4life
gelodge
Hookisms and Hyperbole
cakeordeath
Sgt_Pooly
George Carlin
BamBam
EnglishReign
caz
Hood83
Cumbrian
Good Golly I'm Olly
greg_12345
GLove39
wickedwasp
sickofwendy
Steffan
Cyril
Cari
Scrumpy
The Great Aukster
trebellbobaggins
InjuredYetAgain
robbo277
Portnoy's Complaint
markb
Taffineastbourne
nathan
reallybored
doctor_grey
Duty281
HammerofThunor
Biltong
king_carlos
100%beefy
Rory_Gallagher
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
belovedfrosties
ChequeredJersey
flankertye
Totalflanker
Scrumdown
BlueNote
Rugby Fan
Notch
dragonbreath
RubyGuby
Pal Joey
MarcusHalberstram
Submachine
boomeranga
Jimpy
munkian
Hound of Harrow
Tramptastic
stevetynant
RDW
SecretFly
Breadvan
Mickado
GunsGerms
fa0019
flyhalffactory
Gretgael1
thebluesmancometh
Standulstermen
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Pot Hale
wanderingdragon
jimmyinthewell68
petethepete
wales606
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
t1000advancedprototype
mrzimmerman
91 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) Empty Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by mrzimmerman Thu May 30, 2013 6:22 am

The team has been named. What do you think? Predictions for the match?

British & Irish Lions:
S Hogg (Scotland); A Cuthbert (Wales), J Davies (Wales), J Roberts (Wales), S Maitland (Scotland); O Farrell (England), M Phillips (Wales); M Vunipola (England), R Hibbard (Wales), A Jones (Wales), R Gray (Scotland), P O’Connell (Ireland, capt), D Lydiate (Wales), J Tipuric (Wales), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: T Youngs (England), C Healy (Ireland), M Stevens (England), A W Jones (Wales), J Heaslip (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland), J Sexton (Ireland), G North (Wales).

Barbarians:

15 Jared Payne, 14 Joe Rokocoko, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Casey Laulala, 11 Taku Ngwenya, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Sergio Parisse,
7 Sam Jones, 6 Samu Manoa, 5 Dean Mumm, 4 Marco Wentzel, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Paul James.

Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jim Hamilton, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Andrea Lo Cicero, 21 Kahn Fotuali'i, 22 James Hook, 23 Mike Tindall.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) Empty Re: Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am

Back row looks amazing.

Also liking another all Welsh lions front row.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread) Empty Re: Lions v Barbarians (Official Match Thread)

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 am

Limited choices for the first game so I guess no surprises. I should think all the players will get a run out.

Interesting that the BaaBaas were forced to reselect HK player Rowan Varty after Dai had dropped him from the starting squad after the shaming against England.

Perhaps sponsors HSBC had a word?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am

Pretty much the side we all thought they would play in the first match. Lots of well proven combinations.

Really looking forward to seeing how Hogg goes. Just hope Farrell doesn't kick the leather off the ball when we should be scoring tries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 am

I think the big props Castro & A Jones will be taking it in turns to have 'injury' breathers playing in that heat/humidity.

Brits is the sort of front row forward that may excel in these conditions.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 am

Pretty much the team they had to play, Halfpenny is the only one left out - probably didn't want to play too many welshman and want to try different combinations - I expect to see Cuthbert - Halfpenny - Bowe in the next game (and for me, in the first test)

I'm going to miss this match :/

Will have to catch up later, do sky do full match replays online?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by petethepete Thu May 30, 2013 7:36 am

It was always going to be Welsh heavy.

Is 1/2p injured? Thought he would be nailed on to start, but am glad Hogg has been given a chance, rate him!

petethepete

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 am

wow halfpenny not even on bench . that's a good pack expect a lot of turn overs too . lets hope the doc got is big game head on for this tournament Very Happy

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 am

Good side. It makes sense having certain combinators in there, like the centres and backrow. Pleased to see Hogg and Maitland (who I think will be a test wing) get a chance early doors.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 am

Aye Maitland could well make the test side.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 am

I don't believe it - they picked a 'f**king cheat' on the bench!!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 am

wanderingdragon wrote:I don't believe it - they picked a 'f**king cheat' on the bench!!

Laugh
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 am

Why have they got four players from last week on the bench. Thought they were all being rested.

O'Connell as capt makes sense,
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 am

It'll be interesting to see just how much freedom / licence to counter Stuart Hogg has been given. If he's going to be asked to kick all day long, then it's a real waste of his talents.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu May 30, 2013 8:41 am

Pot Hale wrote:Why have they got four players from last week on the bench. Thought they were all being rested.

O'Connell as capt makes sense,

They only had 21 not involved, they only had 1 hooker and then Warbs and Gethin got injured.

Halfpenny is the only player who didn't play last week who isn't selected, and he isn't very good in the front row, backrow or at flyhalf
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be interesting to see just how much freedom / licence to counter Stuart Hogg has been given. If he's going to be asked to kick all day long, then it's a real waste of his talents.

with gatland it prob kick in first half and attack in the last twenty minutes . Headscratch

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 am

Pretty could side for me, not reading anything into anyone not playing as hopefully every player will get a run out in the first couple of games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30, 2013 9:07 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be interesting to see just how much freedom / licence to counter Stuart Hogg has been given. If he's going to be asked to kick all day long, then it's a real waste of his talents.

with gatland it prob kick in first half and attack in the last twenty minutes . Headscratch

What?! What is that comment based on, apart from WUMmery?

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 am

Firstly, is Warburton injured? I hadn't see any mention of it.

Very surprised to see no Halfpenny. I'm also surprised to see Sexton on the bench. I had expected Halfpenny at 15 with Stuart Hogg covering both 10 and 15.

The rest of the team is a no brainer. All makes sense. Settled combinations mostly with some new look pairings at halfback and lock.

Looking forward to the game and hoping we can get a good win.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 am

Maybe they are going to look at halfpenny, north and Bowe next week. That would be my first choice back three at present

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 am

I think Gatland has to be carefull, the last thing the lions want to do is adopt the play from anywhere ethos and runs 7/8 tries in, that'll be absolutely no help to the lions cause.

That said he doesnt want to show his hand to Aus this early too, allow the analysis team with the best possible chance of breaking down combinations and patterns.

I have no idea what to expect...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 am

Standulstermen wrote:Maybe they are going to look at halfpenny, north and Bowe next week. That would be my first choice back three at present

Makes sense to have completely new look for the Western Force.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 am

red_stag wrote:Firstly, is Warburton injured? I hadn't see any mention of it.

Very surprised to see no Halfpenny. I'm also surprised to see Sexton on the bench. I had expected Halfpenny at 15 with Stuart Hogg covering both 10 and 15.

The rest of the team is a no brainer. All makes sense. Settled combinations mostly with some new look pairings at halfback and lock.

Looking forward to the game and hoping we can get a good win.

Warburton has hurt his knee and has been told to keep off it for four or five days.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu May 30, 2013 9:37 am

As already said not reading too much into the side as Mr G has said all the squad will get game time over the next tree games.

Taking the available players into account its quite an attack minded first 15. A few things I would have like differently....... Maitland to have started on his good side that's right wing instead of on the left, Jon Davies to have started at I/C albeit with the trusted Roberts/Davies combo it would have been better with him at O/C.

Some mouth watering combos there, a bloody good front five and POC/Gray lock pairing wow fantastic, and a very good bench.

Really looking forward to seeing how Farrell will orchestrate the game, how up-to-speed Lydiate is, POC, Gray hitting hard in the breakdown, Tuperics' speed around the park, and of course the Billy Whizz duo of Graham and Sean.

Let the games begin! ROARRRRR
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am

Griff wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:

What?! What is that comment based on, apart from WUMmery?
[quote] not a wum Im Welsh its just what i see . ok perhaps a slight mickey take but our tries mostly in the second half . it works with nh sides because we fitter but not against Australia unfortunately

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

I think the packs are well matched... the Lions have been together a bit longer but the baabaas had an actual game last week (albeit much different personnel). The conditions may suit the Baabaas front five more (given they are more mobile) but the Lions look stronger on paper.

Evans vs. Farrell will be an interesting contest. Evans is an experienced pro and should be able to adapt easier than Farrell to unfamiliar teammates which both will have. The centre pairing of Davies and Roberts should making things easier on him but the question still remains.... how will he react with no second receiver?

He plays with Goode all the time with Saracens and England and Hodgson always takes the helm in attack when they both are on the field at Saracens.... this time he's all on his own and when thats been the case with England he's never really looked comfortable.

Lions should win this, the Wales combinations will help at backrow and centre.

I think it could be the toughest game though of the tour, the lions will want to play test match nonsense rugby... whilst the baabaas will be ingrained to mix it up a bit... if they can push the game that way it could unsettle the lions and snatch a victory.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 am

Too many Welsh players. Only one Irish man and one English man and all three Scots picked.

I know that the Leicester, Ulster and Leinster players werent considered but is there anything we can draw from this team selection?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 am

Standulstermen wrote:Maybe they are going to look at halfpenny, north and Bowe next week. That would be my first choice back three at present

Me too no question.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 am

GunsGerms wrote:Too many Welsh players. Only one Irish man and one English man and all three Scots picked.

I know that the Leicester, Ulster and Leinster players werent considered but is there anything we can draw from this team selection?

What did you expect. As far as I could see only other way to realistically reduce Welsh contingent and increase others would be starting Matt Stevens and Conor Murray.

Its a bit of a nothing game. Castro and Parisse were boozing til 4.30am in Hong Kong last night. The real stuff starts in Perth.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 am

Thought the BaaBaa's were on a self imposed booze ban?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 am

fa0019 wrote:I think the packs are well matched... the Lions have been together a bit longer but the baabaas had an actual game last week (albeit much different personnel). The conditions may suit the Baabaas front five more (given they are more mobile) but the Lions look stronger on paper.

Evans vs. Farrell will be an interesting contest. Evans is an experienced pro and should be able to adapt easier than Farrell to unfamiliar teammates which both will have. The centre pairing of Davies and Roberts should making things easier on him but the question still remains.... how will he react with no second receiver?

He plays with Goode all the time with Saracens and England and Hodgson always takes the helm in attack when they both are on the field at Saracens.... this time he's all on his own and when thats been the case with England he's never really looked comfortable.

Lions should win this, the Wales combinations will help at backrow and centre.

I think it could be the toughest game though of the tour, the lions will want to play test match nonsense rugby... whilst the baabaas will be ingrained to mix it up a bit... if they can push the game that way it could unsettle the lions and snatch a victory.

I agree on Farell, but he does have the luxury of Roberts as a safety option, has a bigger pack in front of him and should have set peice control, not to mention Hogg's ability as another receiver (if thats the way they go) so I think he'll be ok.

I am a little worried about the breakdown, with Tipuric being the only player with any real nous, therefore I expect a fanned out defence regularly with only the tackler and Tipuric as challenging options.

One thing I am looking forward too, and it'll seem strange but the chemistry and combination between POC and Lydiate, a lot of people generally laugh when I talk about the 'enforcer' and blindsides relationship, but both are similar types of player and I think POC and Lydiate have the most work to do to work well together, Lydiates game is all about chopping at the knees infront of the defencive line, and POC game is about getting the wrong side of the player and holding up, if they clash we could have one confused defence!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

who could have played in their place

Hibbard - Best just joined, Youngs played last week
Jones - Cole played last week. Could have played Stevens (3rd choice mind)
Lydiate & Tipuric - O'Brien Croft all played last week, Warburton injured.
Faletau - Heaslip played last week

Phillips - Youngs played last week. Could have played Murray (3rd choice mind)
Davies & Roberts - Both Tuilagi and BOD played last week.
Cuthbert - Bowe played last week, Halfpenny & North both Welsh.

Really the only players they could have turned to would have been Murray and Stevens and both are last on the pecking order. Its a big game, you want you top players so I doubt anyone would say that Jones and Phillips should have made way for Stevens and Murray.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

The presence of nine Welshmen says more about how poor the regional sides are than anything else. If the Scarlets or the Ospreys had made the Pro12 or one of the European finals, their players wouldn't have been considered for the opening match. As it is, they were all available. Surely that's not too hard to grasp?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Me too no question.

I'll question North and answer with a Maitland or cuthbert as t'other wings. chin
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 am

Mickado wrote:Thought the BaaBaa's were on a self imposed booze ban?

Mick mick mick mick mick thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am

with the western force game there might be less Welsh involved but i think u ll have to get use to this tour being mostly Welsh originated Smile

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 am

red_stag wrote:
What did you expect. As far as I could see only other way to realistically reduce Welsh contingent and increase others would be starting Matt Stevens and Conor Murray.

Its a bit of a nothing game. Castro and Parisse were boozing til 4.30am in Hong Kong last night. The real stuff starts in Perth.

That is what I expected my question is will it really have any bearing on who is selected for the first test match? Will this game be completly forgotten by the time the first test team is selected or does it really give those selected a greater opportunity of making the test team as Gatland suggested?

Hopefully this game will not be a repeat of the Lions first warm up match v Argentina in '05.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 am

Breadvan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Me too no question.

I'll question North and answer with a Maitland or cuthbert as t'other wings. chin
[quote] north due a good game . at the moment tho cuthbert my fav wingman .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 am

Warburton.
Knee issue.
?
Intense training frequently mentioned body part gets a mention again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:

That is what I expected my question is will it really have any bearing on who is selected for the first test match? Will this game be completly forgotten by the time the first test team is selected or does it really give those selected a greater opportunity of making the test team as Gatland suggested?

Hopefully this game will not be a repeat of the Lions first warm up match v Argentina in '05.

Unfortunately Guns I think that it will have fairly little bearing on who is selected for the first test. Now if some fella has a truly outstanding/or rubbish display it will probably have an effect. But for most it will be little or none I think.

But in reality lets call this what it is. A game for HSBC to showcase their sponsorship to their target audience.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am

Players are their to take their opportunities.. if Vunipola for instance was able to dominate a prop like Castrogiovanni whilst still being as useful in the loose then it would certainly make Healy and Jenkins claims weaker.

Its natural that players in big games will have more of a chance to prove their worth... this is a big game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 am

red_stag wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Unfortunately Guns I think that it will have fairly little bearing on who is selected for the first test. Now if some fella has a truly outstanding/or rubbish display it will probably have an effect. But for most it will be little or none I think.

But in reality lets call this what it is. A game for HSBC to showcase their sponsorship to their target audience.

Shouldn't be too cynical Stag!!! We should thank whoever had an idea to approach the baabaas... had they not it would have been replaced with some 100-0 AUS presidential select XV or whatever.... rather than against some of the most exciting players in the NH.

These guys need tough opposition... beating a team of nobody's will do them no good in the long run.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 am

I agree it is a little cynical to suggest that playing in HK is a cynical attempt to please the sponsor and make money.

I have been to HK and I know that there is a big rugby following there and a large expat community. Also a stop over for a couple of days in HK makes perfect sense from a logistical stand point. I did this myself and it really helps to adjust with jet lag to break up the journey.

I think this match ticks all the boxes really.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 am

fa0019 wrote:Players are their to take their opportunities.. if Vunipola for instance was able to dominate a prop like Castrogiovanni whilst still being as useful in the loose then it would certainly make Healy and Jenkins claims weaker.

Its natural that players in big games will have more of a chance to prove their worth... this is a big game.

Castrogiovanni? The player let go by Leicester? The player who couldn't get regular enough playing time at Leicester?
Dominate him and you're a Lion's test natural?

Me don't think so, fa0019.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 am

By the way if anyone is going to HK for this match be sure to stop into my friend Ciaran's bar Solas in Hong Kong. It is the only place to be seen for the expat community.

http://www.solas.com.hk/

Everyone will be there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu May 30, 2013 10:42 am

Fly

Castro is getting on a bit.... but he can scrum, he can scrum all day... and thats Vunipola's biggest weakness. If he was to put in a performance against him then it would put a genuine marker down... absolutely.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am

fa0019 wrote:Fly

Castro is getting on a bit.... but he can scrum, he can scrum all day... and thats Vunipola's biggest weakness. If he was to put in a performance against him then it would put a genuine marker down... absolutely.

I disagree a little here mate, Castr is big and floppy, he looks like he gets around quite a bit but doesn't, similar to Jones, he's a decent scrummager but rarely destructive, and actually proves a weakness at times.

Castro was a very good player, but he's a bit over the hill now and not really the acid test he once was, Vunipola should get on top of him with the tight 5 around each player, if he doesn't I will worry!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am

Lions team pretty much as expected, and great to see the 3 Scots all playing together. Farrell is surrounded by experienced players which will help him, and that pack will probably be better drilled than the Ba bas so should give him lots of ball – will be interesting to see what he does with it. Gray and O’Connell is a potential test pairing in the making, but there’s a few games to go yet Also looking forward to seeing Hogg get some broken field running – this game was made for him.

Can see an injury or two happening – there’s a few players in there with limited gametime recently so will need to see how they cope.

Now’s the chance for the players to shine – there’s a lot of big names about to come into the mix.

Can’t wait!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 30, 2013 10:54 am

I would be surprised if Grey and O'Connell arent the test 4 and 5. Hope they are anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

Nobody interested in how poc and gray goes? Early days but potentially the test locks.should look to dominate out of touch which could play into farrels hands. Also interested to see how lydiate goes.3 games in 9 months let's see if gatlands
trust is justified. Loads to look forward to.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next