The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healy Cited

+34
Cyril
damage_13
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
fa0019
Pal Joey
petethepete
Galted
100%beefy
Standulstermen
RubyGuby
lostinwales
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rugby Fan
Knowsit17
bluestonevedder
Mickado
maestegmafia
Exiledinborders
tigertattie
rapidsnowman
SecretFly
Feckless Rogue
JmD
GunsGerms
Biltong
thebluesmancometh
HammerofThunor
aucklandlaurie
red_stag
jimmyinthewell68
clivemcl
Portnoy's Complaint
LondonTiger
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Healy Cited - Page 2 Empty Healy Cited

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Slight deja vu I know, but as the other thread is concentrating on the choice of Corbisiero to join as cover, I thought we should have a separate one to discuss the citing.

http://www.lionsrugby.com/news/11983.php#.Ua99_Zx5F9U

For me the Force scrum half was grinding his forearm into Healy's face, who was lying trapped on the ground.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Healy Cited - Page 2 Empty Re: Healy Cited

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:03 pm

greytiger wrote:Talking of Youtube, there's a suspicion of a nibble
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tlxkhl6u4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tlxkhl6u4[/quote[/url]]

Cant watch youtube in work. Can you see Healy biting in that clip?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tlxkhl6u4

Hadn't seen the replays of it, but is that conclusive enough to cite him?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:

Maybe it's enough to say he has a case to answer, but it doesn't prove anything in and of itself.

Sheehan sticks his hand in Healy's face, looks like he puts his fingers in Healy's mouth, then shoves his forearm into Healy's face.

He points at the inside of his arm to but he shoves the outside of his forearm into the face, so not sure if he changed his mind about where he was "bitten" or...?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Mickado wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

Maybe it's enough to say he has a case to answer, but it doesn't prove anything in and of itself.

Sheehan sticks his hand in Healy's face, looks like he puts his fingers in Healy's mouth, then shoves his forearm into Healy's face.

He points at the inside of his arm to but he shoves the outside of his forearm into the face, so not sure if he changed his mind about where he was "bitten" or...?

I noticed that too.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm

All I'd contest is that there's an infinite amount if evidence compared with Hartley.

And you'd have to work hard to present me (or Portnoy) as a Dylan (Hartley, not Bob) apologist.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

greytiger wrote:All I'd contest is that there's an infinite amount if evidence compared with Hartley.

And you'd have to work hard to present me (or Portnoy) as a Dylan (Hartley, not Bob) apologist.

There is also more evidence to prove Healy is innocent in this case than there was in the Hartley case. Depends on your POV.

Ferris was at least able to demonstrate that he had bite marks on his hands.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

red_stag wrote:
Mickado wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

I noticed that too.

Good spot!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:34 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
red_stag wrote:
Mickado wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

I noticed that too.

Good spot!

Can he be counter cited for lying to the ref?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

Who - Sheehan or Ferris?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:47 pm

I might be talking utter tosh with this thought but wouldn't the best moment to determine whether Healy did or didn't bite him have been during the game, namely straight after the incident? Sheehan could have visually testified to the ref by showing him the bite mark, it will have faded by the time of the hearing...

From the shots I've seen I can't see any conclusive evidence of a bite, let alone any indicator of whether it was deliberate or accidental.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

greytiger wrote:All I'd contest is that there's an infinite amount if evidence compared with Hartley.

Didn't Hartley admit to biting Ferris?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

I don't think hewill befound guilty, especially as you say he points to the inside of his arm, it could be anything that scratched against the inside of his arm, and assumed he was bitten.

Either way the video shows nothing, unless there are other video footage I can't see him being found guilty.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:03 pm

red_stag wrote:

Didn't Hartley admit to biting Ferris?
Yes.
But did he retract the fish-hook claim?

That's important too in the context.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Biltong wrote:I don't think hewill befound guilty, especially as you say he points to the inside of his arm, it could be anything that scratched against the inside of his arm, and assumed he was bitten.

Either way the video shows nothing, unless there are other video footage I can't see him being found guilty.

Yeah, it might sound like a small and insignificant point but if you were going to point to your arm immediately following an incident of biting, you wouldn’t just point in the general direction of where it happened, you’d point out to the opposing player (and more importantly the ref) exactly the place you were bitten.

That’s what Ferris did, he showed Owens the bite mark, who said to both captains that he’s seen nothing but that a player clearly has a bite mark and it’s been noted. Sheehan offered no evidence, and if there WAS evidence it’s surely faded now.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

greytiger wrote:Who - Sheehan or Ferris?

Given that there were bite marks unless Ferris bit his own hand its safe to assume Hartley did it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:...There is also more evidence to prove Healy is innocent in this case than there was in the Hartley case....

No one has to prove innocence. The onus is on proving guilt.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:26 pm

True.
Tell Dylan that.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Given that there were bite marks unless Ferris bit his own hand its safe to assume Hartley did it.

Hartley admitted it, and claimed he believed he was being fishhooked. The committee (while making no determination of any motive as Ferris wasn't on trial) found that Ferris's finger ended up in Hartley's mouth but reduced Hartley's ban because he didn't stretch his neck out to bite. (note, I posted text on the judgement at the time, can't find it now).

If there was a bite in the Healy case - and the video certainly isn't conclusive, though it does show that Sheehan got his finger close enough to be worth a hearing then there might be a similar defense of "accidental bite".

I did see an article somewhere saying that Sheehan formally complained to the citing commissioner 30 minutes post-match. Which suggests he's pretty sure he was bitten. At that point everyone was sure Healy was out of the tour with injury so there'd have been no point in a "weakening the Lions" citing
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

At the risk of rerunning the same argument again...

There was absolute evidence that Hartley bit Ferris - as in the marks. Thats not in question - what is - is why it happened. Hartley's body and arms were stuck in a ruck at the time and fish hooking is a very possible scenario as to why it happened. I havnt seen the video of the Healy incident but from the sound of the descriptions here it may well be that 'teeth came into contact with skin' but that there were mitigating circumstances, i.e. having a forearm ground into his mouth.

There was a case to be made for, on that occasion, being more lenient on Hartley and its the same case that should be made for Healy should there be evidence that a bite happened.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:42 pm

greytiger wrote:True.
Tell Dylan that.

Dylan admitted the bite and PLEADED GUILTY gt.

So your point is rather unnecessary.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:44 pm

how the hell can you "accidentally" bite someone?

I can understand if some numpty presses his skin onto either the top or bottom set og your gnashers but if you have a bite mark then you have been bitten. Surely a grown man is in control of his own facalties enough to decide not to bite down on someone?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

tigertattie wrote:how the hell can you "accidentally" bite someone?

I can understand if some numpty presses his skin onto either the top or bottom set og your gnashers but if you have a bite mark then you have been bitten. Surely a grown man is in control of his own facalties enough to decide not to bite down on someone?

Hypothetical example, an opposition player could stick a hand in your mouth, then one of his team mates upper cut you Wink

Joking aside, people do bite their own tongues occasionally. And I find it hard to believe anyone does that on purpose.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

I think it would be only natural in his defence that his Solicitor states that evolution tells us that when a Lion is provoked it is instinct and nature that results in a reflex bite to protect itself. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

c'mon Pete! folk do that when they are having convulsions or have been sparkled!

If you are accidentally biting someone then I can only put forward that you are taken to the local vets and put to sleep!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:00 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Hartley admitted it, and claimed he believed he was being fishhooked. The committee (while making no determination of any motive as Ferris wasn't on trial) found that Ferris's finger ended up in Hartley's mouth but reduced Hartley's ban because he didn't stretch his neck out to bite. (note, I posted text on the judgement at the time, can't find it now).

If there was a bite in the Healy case - and the video certainly isn't conclusive, though it does show that Sheehan got his finger close enough to be worth a hearing then there might be a similar defense of "accidental bite".

I did see an article somewhere saying that Sheehan formally complained to the citing commissioner 30 minutes post-match. Which suggests he's pretty sure he was bitten. At that point everyone was sure Healy was out of the tour with injury so there'd have been no point in a "weakening the Lions" citing

I heard 20 minutes after the match that news had filtered out that the injury was not a break and just a sprain pending an xray. You make some good points though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

tigertattie wrote:c'mon Pete! folk do that when they are having convulsions or have been sparkled!

If you are accidentally biting someone then I can only put forward that you are taken to the local vets and put to sleep!

I've bitten my tongue walking down the street Sad (ok, I tripped)

I was being a bit facetious admittedly. I did put "accidental" in quotes above for a reason, though I was more angling towards a Hartley-style mitigating circumstances defense.

It's all idle speculation without seeing what's being put in front of the disciplinary committee anyway.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

Hypothetical example, an opposition player could stick a hand in your mouth, then one of his team mates upper cut you Wink

Joking aside, people do bite their own tongues occasionally. And I find it hard to believe anyone does that on purpose.

I bit my finger once when eating chips. I also put a staple through my own thumb on numerous occasions.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I heard 20 minutes after the match that news had filtered out that the injury was not a break and just a sprain pending an xray. You make some good points though.

Fair point, I thought that the sprain news was later.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

I bit my finger once when eating chips. I also put a staple through my own thumb on numerous occasions.

Ouch!

I slammed my thumb in a car door accidentally once. The A&E nurse had to burn a hole through the nail to release the pressure of blood-build-up after.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:54 pm

Im not sure about this incident but I remember when we played saints in the 1/4s a few years back Hartley was trying to pull Wannenburg out of a maul by his mouth and his forearm was in pedries mouth yanking back. He complained about a bite to Poite who dismissed him. Could this be something similar?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm

There are some mammals whose jaws snap shut on reflex if you put your finger in it .

Perhaps Hartley is similar.

I know if you put something smelling like biltong my mouth shut automatically
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

Ok I have cleaned up the sarcasm and personal attacks, keep it clean please.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

Well let's wait until tomorrow for the citing decision. The board meets at midnight BST doesn't it?

Prima facie on the video (Youtube) evidence, there's not much evidence to support a lengthy ban or even a short one.

But the Hartley parallel is fascinating.
We'll see soon enough.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Im not sure about this incident but I remember when we played saints in the 1/4s a few years back Hartley was trying to pull Wannenburg out of a maul by his mouth and his forearm was in pedries mouth yanking back. He complained about a bite to Poite who dismissed him. Could this be something similar?

Yes. If it's anything it's probably something like that.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:48 pm

Relax boys, I am on my ipad and missed one.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:49 pm

Biltong wrote:There are some mammals whose jaws snap shut on reflex if you put your finger in it .

Perhaps Hartley is similar.

I know if you put something smelling like biltong my mouth shut automatically

but i wonder why this sarcastic comment was allowed to stay?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

Now I get cleaned up for pointing out that some dust was still on the floor in the corner??? Laugh

This house cleaner is industrious!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

No British & Irish Lion could or would ever do such a terrible thing. Instead of dwelling on this absurd claim, let's all be outraged and whine about the time Schalk Burger callously blinded Luke Fitzgerald and then eviscerated the entire Fitzgerald clan.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:56 pm

SecretFly wrote:Now I get cleaned up for pointing out that some dust was still on the floor in the corner??? Laugh

This house cleaner is industrious!
sorry mate, but you quoted the offensive post, that's why. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 06 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

Yes, Galted is right.

I think Woodward is going to be mighty miffed if Healy is banned!!! More disrespect to the Lions. This really is getting deplorable...and becoming something of an International incident. A warship might have to be sent to evacuate Lions supporters in advance of another right good bollicking by Lions overlords!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 8:05 pm

Let he who hath no visible trouser opening cast the first stone (Biltong ch1 v1)

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 06 Jun 2013, 8:13 pm

Galted wrote:No British & Irish Lion could or would ever do such a terrible thing. Instead of dwelling on this absurd claim, let's all be outraged and whine about the time Schalk Burger callously blinded Luke Fitzgerald and then eviscerated the entire Fitzgerald clan.

A terrible day. It was recently voted the 2nd most traumatic moment in Irish history, just ahead of the famine, but behind Ireland finishing last in the eurovision this year.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

From the video clip of the incident it looks like Brett Sheehan is full of sh1t. If you look at the clip closely Healy also gets his hand in under Sheehan's arm and pushes it away after Sheehan plants it on his face. Why would he push his arm away if he wanted to bite it.

Sheehan also points to the wrong place and when interviewed seemed quite flaky on the matter.

Also what are Sheehan's fingers and fore arm doing on Healy's face anyway?
Really hope this isn't another case of an Aussie trying to make a name for himself taking out a Lion.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:35 pm

Also sheehan points to the underside of his wrist yet it is the top of his forearm near healy's mouth. if he is ramming it in healy's mouth then contact with his teeth is inevitable.

2 thoughts

1. If no conclusive VT Panel will take a view and on the basis his tour is probably done on injury will file it
2. If there is contrary conclusive evidence action shoul dbe taken against Sheehan for a malicious allegation, careers and reps can depend on these findings.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 07 Jun 2013, 6:47 am

The verdict is not guilty. http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/site/index.html

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Jun 2013, 6:50 am

Good news, now lets hope he gets his ankle sorted.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:23 am

Insufficient evidence bot not exactly exonerated.
New Zealander Hampton, an independent judicial officer appointed by the Australian Rugby Union, concluded it was possible that during the incident, Sheehan's arm "may have come in contact with Healy's mouth and due to the pressure of the tackle it is likely that unavoidable contact between Healy's mouth and Sheehan's arm occurred".

"There is no conclusive video evidence of the incident and post-match it was not possible to distinguish any discernible bite marks outside of the 'regular' marks usually found following a rugby match," Mr Hampton said in his findings.

"I cannot prove on the balance of probabilities that there was a deliberate bite here and the citing complaint is not upheld."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22784626

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:38 am

Sense prevails.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by petethepete Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:40 am

Healy cleared!

Would hope that this would be the last we hear of the Incident, but fear I would have to stop reading 606 as anytime over the next few years Healy is mentioned some posters will drag this up!

petethepete

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:45 am

Right, lets move on.

Hope he get's good news from the doctor now. Fingers crossed.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next