The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team?

+6
Bonesaw's ready
maestegmafia
lostinwales
fa0019
glamorganalun
winchester
10 posters

Go down

Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team? Empty Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team?

Post by winchester Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Anyone feel Gats has alread made his mind up about the centre partnership for the first Test? Hes put out both Roberts and BOD against the weakest sides. I think thats a combination of keeping them physically alright and injury free and also because he feels they have less to prove. I think he has more confidence in this pairing and will save them for the first test now. Thoughts?

winchester

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team? Empty Re: Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team?

Post by glamorganalun Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:56 pm

+1, they were the choice centres just like Warburton selected as captain regardless how others play.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team? Empty Re: Is Gatland set on Roberts/BOD for the Test team?

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:21 pm

If no one physically takes the jersey from out of your hands then won't it naturally land in the tried and tested players????

Just like in 05 when Wilkinson was selected.... Jones and Henson hadn't done enough to convince SCW that both were right... Henson and O'Driscoll certainly had a cold relationship. Although SCW should have at least tested out a Jones and Wilkinson 10-12 duo prior to the first test.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 pm

BOD has done everything asked of him so far and does seem to be a certain selection. Reports suggested he enjoyed playing off Tuilagi so I am not sure if the combo is as yet set in stone.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Not necessarily. He's giving every combo a run out.

BOD and Davies next?

That could be very good. Plus now that Hogg has shown he can play ten we can have a centre on the bench.

Davies and BOD to start with Roberts coming on as an impact player. Sounds bloody good to me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

I think BOD would get more opportunities in attack playing aside Tuilagi but may have to do more work in defence.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I'd have thought Roberts is 100% set in stone to start. I don't think Gats has ever dropped him regardless of form and currently he's playing well. After Hong Kong I expected Gats to go with Roberts and JD but I think BOD will get the nod now. In all honesty, it's one of the areas where the Lions are the strongest so I can see all three of the four centres getting game time in the tests

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 pm

BOD is long in the tooth now and susceptible to injuries. I dont think its a coincidende that Gatland has used him against the weakest sides in the easiest physical conditions. I dont think he wants to risk him outside the test matches. He has paired him with both Roberts and Tuilagi now but noteably both in lightweight fixtures.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 pm

winchester wrote:BOD is long in the tooth now and susceptible to injuries. I dont think its a coincidende that Gatland has used him against the weakest sides in the easiest physical conditions. I dont think he wants to risk him outside the test matches. He has paired him with both Roberts and Tuilagi now but noteably both in lightweight fixtures.

Well the same can be said for Roberts & he didn't cover himself in glory today against very weak opposition.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm

He looked at Roberts/Davies on HK (having no choice as Manu and BOD were otherwise occupied. Then rested them for Manu/BOD which looked a natural partnership as they both flourished. Next was Davies/Manu whilst BOD was given longer to rest which we never really saw much of and given Davies second understated performance could see him miss out. Now today we've had Roberts/BOD the bookies favourite combo, I've not seen the game yet.

BOD looks set to start assuming he had a decent game today against average opposition. Then either Manu or Roberts will play 12 with I presume the other on the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Did the game to day say that Bod and Roberts deserve to be the starting centres?

I think it was very hard to day to pick out any players for the Test spot due to the low pressure that they was put under.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I thought Davies and BOD looked better than Roberts and BOD...

Sky Sports didnt even mention Tuilagi as a possible, is that form or injury?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I thought Davies and BOD looked better than Roberts and BOD...

Well the 3 'pundits' were Irish, Scottish & Welsh - may have had something to do with it.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Didn't know any of the centre options were scottish... Whistle

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:00 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I thought Davies and BOD looked better than Roberts and BOD...

Well the 3 'pundits' were Irish, Scottish & Welsh - may have had something to do with it.

Trev is wrong, Dean Ryan is English and was also in the debate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Roberts lost the ball in contact quite a few times today, though his passing looked better than it has been.

I'd go with Davies and BOD or Tuilagi and BOD personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down