The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..!

+8
aucklandlaurie
majesticimperialman
youngguns6
BlueNote
wales606
HammerofThunor
Norfolklass
maestegmafia
12 posters

Go down

Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..! Empty Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..!

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm

WALES UNDER-20 V ARGENTINA UNDER-20

• Venue: Stade Henri Desgrange, La Roche-sur-Yon

• Date: Thursday, 13 June
  • Time: 15:45 BST
  • Coverage begins on S4C at 3.25, kick off at 3.45
    Available for catch up for 35 days on Clic

• Sky Sports 3 HD (15:30)

Wales can secure an International Rugby Board World Junior Championship knock-out stage by beating Argentina in Thursday's Pool C decider in France.

Danny Wilson's side have beaten Samoa 42-3 and Scotland 26-21.

Argentina also beat the Scots 44-13 and the Islanders 28-16 to set up the crunch tie against Wales at Stade Henri Desgrange, La Roche-sur-Yon in the Loire region.
"We're on the right track," said centre Jack Dixon.
"But we know we are going to have to fight to win the Argentina game.

"They are a big side we are going to have to concentrate on the task ahead over the next few days.

"Our attack was spot on against Samoa, the game plan worked really well, and then our defence won us the game against Scotland.

"All credit to Scotland, they got stuck in and gave us a wake-up call because it was such a close run thing in the end.

"We have areas to work on now, some wrongs to put right and that's what we'll focus on now ahead of the next challenge.

"We are busting to get to the semi-finals so we'll certainly go into the game all guns blazing."

Danny Wilson, the Wales U20s head coach, has made seven changes and two positional for the clash with Argentina. The winner is guaranteed a place in the JWC semi-finals for a second successive year.

Dragons full back Hallam Amos returns to the starting line-up along with his regional team mate Jack Dixon and Pontypridd wing Owen Jenkins. In the front row, Gareth Thomas starts at loosehead with Ethan Lewis in at hooker.

Carwyn Jones returns to partner Rhodri Hughes at lock, while Dragons number eight Ieuan Jones returns with Sion Bennett and captain Ellis Jenkins switching to the blind and openside flanks respectively.

"Selection is getting more difficult with each game which is very much a good thing," said Wilson, the Scarlets forward coach.

"There are some players who are unlucky to miss out on a starting place but this team is the one we think is best suited to this opposition. We will certainly be counting on the efforts of the whole squad tomorrow from 1 to 23.

"Argentina are an excellent team this year. They are very powerful and have a deadly weapon in their outside half who will penalise the slightest error.

"It's going to take one of our best performances of the whole season to come away with a win but we're confident we can do that if we play well."

TEAMS

Wales U20s: Hallam Amos (Dragons/ Newport); Owen Jenkins (Blues / Pontypridd), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets / Llanelli), Jack Dixon (Dragons), Ashley Evans (Ospreys/ Bridgend); Sam Davies (Ospreys / Swansea), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets/ Llandovery); Gareth Thomas (Scarlets/ Carmarthen Quins), Ethan Lewis (Blues / Cardiff), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys / Swansea), Carwyn Jones (Scarlets/ Carmarthen), Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys/ Swansea), Sion Bennett (Scarlets/ Carmarthen), Ellis Jenkins (capt, Blues / Cardiff), Ieuan Jones (Dragons/ Newport).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons / Bedwas), Thomas Davies (Blues /Cardiff), Dan Suter (Ospreys/ Bridgend), Jack Jones (Ospreys / Rovigo), James Benjamin (Dragons/ Bedwas), Joshua Davies (Dragons / Bedwas), Jordan Williams (Scarlets / Llanelli), Harri Evans (North Wales / RGC)

Argentina U20s: Santiago Cordero, Rodrigo Etchart, Santiago Alvarez, Joaquin Paz, German Schultz, Patricio Fernandez, Felipe Ezcurra (captain): Lucas Noguera Paz, Santiago Iglesias, Matias Diaz, Guido Petti Pagadizabal, Tomas Lavanini, Tomas Lezana, Pablo Matera, Geronimo Mazzoni

Replacements: Facundo Gigena, Julian Montoya, Tomas Ramirez, Vittorio Rosti, Facundo Isa, Juan Bernardini, Emiliano Boffelli, Juan Pablo Aguirre

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..! Empty Re: Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..!

Post by Norfolklass Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:37 pm

It's on Sky Sports 3, channel 403, from 3.30pm Thursday 13th June. 

Argentina look very good.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..! Empty Re: Wales vs Argentina, JWC group decider..!

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Argentina battered South Africa before the competition didn't they? Not sure how full strength the Saffas were but hopefully it'll be a great test for both sides. 

I think most of the Argentinian top youth players are professionally funded by the union now so their standard has significantly increased.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm

I wouldn't trust Sky Sports after they didn't show one of our games when they should've done (albeit it was meant to be on red button). It's also on S4C.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Not going to be able to watch it Sad

Haven't seen any of the JWC this year, wheras it was all on last year in Italy

This will be a tough test for the U20s, they could use Patchell's goal kicking but at the end of the day it I think the forwards will decide this test.

If they can make the semi finals again it will be very impressive and show that the U20's coaching has improved a lot in the last few years - good signs for the future
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I wouldn't trust Sky Sports after they didn't show one of our games when they should've done (albeit it was meant to be on red button). It's also on S4C.
 Commentary is better of S4C than Sky and I don't speak Welsh (nor listen to the English commentary)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 pm

S
wales606 wrote:Not going to be able to watch it Sad

Haven't seen any of the JWC this year, wheras it was all on last year in Italy

This will be a tough test for the U20s, they could use Patchell's goal kicking but at the end of the day it I think the forwards will decide this test.

If they can make the semi finals again it will be very impressive and show that the U20's coaching has improved a lot in the last few years - good signs for the future

Looks like Wales may need Patchell's kicking on Saturday. Biggar is iffy (ish) by the sounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I wouldn't trust Sky Sports after they didn't show one of our games when they should've done (albeit it was meant to be on red button). It's also on S4C.

Cheers Rev will record it from S4C instead. 

Is Biggar injured? Patchell starting?

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Norfolklass wrote:

Cheers Rev will record it from S4C instead. 

Is Biggar injured? Patchell starting?

Yes Cheers for that... Ill post the coverage details at the top in the op...

I was really annoyed at the last game not being shown. And without an explanation too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 pm

According to the South Wales Arseguff, Biggar is struggling training with a tight hammy. I wonder if they might bench him and only use him if needs must.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/10476856.Wales_sweating_on_Biggar/

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Be exciting to see how Patchell goes if Biggar is unfit

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Great win, although we maybe got the rub of the reffing decisions a little.  Argentina looked very dangerous.  Wales played a very canny game.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Just saw the result, fantastic.

Gutted I couldn't watch the game

Anyone know if there are any highlights

Did any of the Welsh players performances stand out?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Excellent kicking display from Davies at 10.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Good try from Hallam Amos on 20 mins. Very well worked.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Heard Amos's try was superb. From a Dragons perspective he looks quality, only 18, played a lot of regional rugby already. Hopefully he will push on.

Ieuan Jones is also a fav of mine.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Youngguns, Amos looked a threat throughout, Ieuan put himself around well and Jack Dixon was a big presence in midfield. Won a couple of nice turnovers on the floor like an openside. Great for the Dragons going forward.

Overall we let them back into it. It was 16-0 to Wales at HT, then at one point I think it was something like 22-20 before we got a late penalty to seal it!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:11 pm

I thought it was a good win for Wales..Argentina did well to come back like they did but Wales did well to hang in the end.

This Argentina team Gave Wales a better game than the Argentina team that played England that's for sure.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought it was a good win for Wales..Argentina did well to come back like they did but Wales did well to hang in the end.

This Argentina team Gave Wales a better game than the Argentina team that played England that's for sure.

This was tongue in cheek, right Maj?! This was the U20 team not the senior team. Can't tell if you're joking!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Griff wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I thought it was a good win for Wales..Argentina did well to come back like they did but Wales did well to hang in the end.

This was tongue in cheek, right Maj?! This was the U20 team not the senior team. Can't tell if you're joking!

Griff.

Did you think that the Argentina side that England seniors played, was that good? I thought they was terrible to be honest.

I was being serious about a good win for Wales today. I really did.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:44 pm

What I thought you meant was that Argentina gave Wales a better game than they gave England, but obviously they were different teams playing (senior as opposed to U20) - just checking you realised! The way you wrote that sort of looks like you thought Wales played the same team as England!

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 pm

So Wales are playing South Africa in the semi's right? England v New Zealand in the other. Pretty good chance of a Wales v New Zealand final (France ran roughshod over the boo forwards apparantly)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Griff wrote:Youngguns, Amos looked a threat throughout, Ieuan put himself around well and Jack Dixon was a big presence in midfield. Won a couple of nice turnovers on the floor like an openside. Great for the Dragons going forward.

Overall we let them back into it. It was 16-0 to Wales at HT, then at one point I think it was something like 22-20 before we got a late penalty to seal it!

Hey 

I havent seen the game yet, have you found highlights anywhere?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Just watched a replay, Wales won the first half 16 nil, Argentina won the second half 20 9,
 Some good kicking by wales, Some good tries by Argentina.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 pm

The 2 Wales tries against Scotland both involved some incredible skills

http://www.s4c.co.uk/rygbi/2013/06/highlights-of-wales-under-20s-against-scotland/?lang=en
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:44 pm

wales606 wrote:The 2 Wales tries against Scotland both involved some incredible skills

http://www.s4c.co.uk/rygbi/2013/06/highlights-of-wales-under-20s-against-scotland/?lang=en
Lovely behind the back pass there

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Griff wrote:Youngguns, Amos looked a threat throughout, Ieuan put himself around well and Jack Dixon was a big presence in midfield. Won a couple of nice turnovers on the floor like an openside. Great for the Dragons going forward.

Hey 

Watched it live on sky. It was on s4c too.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 am

Ah cheers for the info Griff. Dixon looks a great prospect. If the Dragons can get a half decent platform this season it will be interesting to see our young backs on the front foot.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 am

Griff wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Hey 

Watched it live on sky. It was on s4c too.

Unfortunately I am out of the country until this afternoon and will have to wait to watch my recorded version.

I guessed that S4C clic or IRB website would show it but couldn't find a link.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by iantobquick Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:27 pm

The IRB website does now have the highlights. Click on video under JWC 2013. Excellent result as Argentina are very strong.

iantobquick

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:10 pm

A great defence by Wales; particularly in the first half laid the foundations for a great w in against a pwoerful side - Well done lads thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 pm

RubyGuby wrote:A great defence by Wales; particularly in the first half laid the foundations for a great w in against a pwoerful side - Well done lads thumbsup

Strange, I thought Wales defence by the forwards was poor in the second half, the Argi forwards made ground at every pick and drive they did not knock it on, I thought Wales were throwing the game away by booting the ball away with poor kicking mainly by the scrum half. When Wales run at the Argi's they broke through their defence. There must have been a strong wind as Davies was kicking the length of the field first half but very short in the second half, he deserved MOTM he played very well apart from some weak tackles.

If Wales play like the second half they will not progress.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 am

http://hotfile.com/dl/227639882/5691274/RU.2013.JWC.Pool.C.Wales.vs.Argentina.x264.mp4.html

Download it here.
Just click regular download
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down