The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!!

+24
JabMachineMK2
ian_jamsie
88Chris05
Rowley
jimdig
lowpylord
RanjitPatel
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
John Bloody Wayne
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
bellchees
Strongback
bhb001
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
Boxtthis
seanmichaels
Union Cane
Steffan
TopHat24/7
thebawwse
mobilemaster8
hampo17
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!!

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 14 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seen a few rumours floating around Twitter about this fight.

Warren and his team are expected to be annoucing a fight against Serge Kovalev who is known to us hardcore folk as the guy who tore Campillo a new one within 3 rounds a few months ago.

Fair play if Cleverly shares the ring against Kovalev who impressed a lot of people with his quick destruction of Campillo. He has seriously heavy hands and is unbeaten.

Heres a link to the story, lets hope its not another "Cleverly wants Hopkins" type template article and it gets made.

I promise I will give him a little credit.............for now hehe.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/10484345.Nathan_Cleverly_ready_to_put_world_title_on_the_line/

Thoughts??

Cheers

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!!

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:06 am

Ive now heard that he is taking on enzo mac in cardiff at catchweight.

Im going for cleverley ko provably early. 

Thoughts?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Nathan Cleverly could finally be facing somebody with a pulse!!!!!

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:08 am

My thoughts are this is a truly terrible fight. However do get the impression if Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore were to be reincarnated in their pomp and Clev was to take on them both a week apart he would receive criticism from some quarters.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

Rowley wrote:My thoughts are this is a truly terrible fight. However do get the impression if Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore were to be reincarnated in their pomp and Clev was to take on them both a week apart he would receive criticism from some quarters.

I don't agree. I think that if Clev finally fights someone decent (he's a world title holder for god's sake!) then the vast majority of the criticism will vanish and he'll get support. But, Enzo Mac? Really? The guys been on the receiving end of 3 or 4 of the worst KOs I've ever seen. He was "KO'd" by Ovill McKenzie. Cleverly would become a figure of complete ridicule if he took this fight. The whole situation is like a broken record: "I want the top guys" then "I have to fight this 'tough' challenger first, but the next one will be a big one, honest".

Last edited by Boxtthis on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:43 am

You will hear no arguments from me boxthis that Enzo is a disgrace. To be honest saw Enzo some years ago at the magnificent seven show and can’t remember the opponent then but Enzo got knocked out in a manner of a guy who should really be hanging them up so this is a shocking match up if it happens.

The thing that annoys me is I can accept Frank may struggle to get Hopkins who is known for driving a hard bargain and does not sell so great but I cannot believe they cannot get someone like Pascal who would represent a huge step up for Clev, and if Clev genuinely does want Froch beating Jean in good style would send a good message in that respect.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cleverly-Maccarinelli gets made, sadly. I think Warren's been eyeing this one up for a while and he can sell it with the 'former friends, now enemies' tag line, along with the fact that it's an all-Welsh fight inviting the opposing fans of Cardiff City and Swansea City to give it another kind of rivalry edge. In either one of those cities, this fight could pull a reasonable crowd.

Enzo's a busted flush and has been for a long while now, but he still probably brings in a shade more money than a European mandatory right now and, of course, handily poses absolutely no threat whatsoever to Cleverly - he's as hopelessly washed up as they come.

I sincerely hope such an embarrassingly poor fight doesn't come off, but it's a zero risk, reasonable (financial) reward for Cleverly and Warren, so I won't rule it out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:10 am

There is a wealth of good opposition at light heavyweight; Pascal, as Rowley posted, being just on of them. There is no excuse for not fighting one of them over the last three years. If and when Clev steps up, I'll be the first acknowledge it. But I'm not holding my breath!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

Cleverly is ranked below Belew on Boxrec, such has been the fighters he has mixed it with.

This will jump his ranking, but the guy is a banger.

Cleverly takes that away from him, I imagine he will win at a canter.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

Sorry Ian, looks like te fight won't go ahead (see earlier in the thread), which means we will get the default position of someone we have never heard of who is useless or someone we have heard of who is British and useless

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:20 pm

I can't see this anywhere, and it would be an utter joke if Macarinelli faces Cleverley. Utter joke. Mac hasn't faced anything near a world champion for some time and is coming from some bad losses. It can't be even fathomable that a World Champion faces him, in any form because he hasn't close to earned a shot.

This would be a new low for Clev. Really would.

He needs to face a top 5 contender or unify. Now. Otherwise he'll be just like Sven Ottke. Infact worse, because at least he faced Mundine and Reid.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

Well that didn't last long, Enzo fight would be a joke...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

Rowley wrote:You will hear no arguments from me boxthis that Enzo is a disgrace. To be honest saw Enzo some years ago at the magnificent seven show and can’t remember the opponent then but Enzo got knocked out in a manner of a guy who should really be hanging them up so this is a shocking match up if it happens.

The thing that annoys me is I can accept Frank may struggle to get Hopkins who is known for driving a hard bargain and does not sell so great but I cannot believe they cannot get someone like Pascal who would represent a huge step up for Clev, and if Clev genuinely does want Froch beating Jean in good style would send a good message in that respect.

It was Alexander Frenkel, horrible KO that was, I remember shouting at the ref (at my TV screen) for letting it continue after the first one.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

Pathetic stuff from Warren this...

They've held a press conference today to announce Clev fighting in Cardiff in August...
No opponent. 

Hoping to get Kovalev and HBO will show the fight and are apparently pushing hard for Kovalev....

No undercard, nothing. 

Press conference consisted of Frank, Clev and his dad...

Waste of everyone's time.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDnQ0TkpiA

One of Ian John Lewis's finest moments, what a moron. This was turning into a good scrap.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

rob-glos wrote:Pathetic stuff from Warren this...

They've held a press conference today to announce Clev fighting in Cardiff in August...
No opponent. 

Hoping to get Kovalev and HBO will show the fight and are apparently pushing hard for Kovalev....

No undercard, nothing. 

I would go to that fight, providing its a worthy opponent, I didn't go to see the nurse..

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

Honestly, we've all been taking the michael out of Clev, and rightly so - he's been facing dross, but now he has an opportunity, the LH division is wide open if not slightly devoid of talent. He needs to face Shumenov, Cloud, Hopkins, Stevenson, Bellew, Dawson etc

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/ratings/light-heavyweight

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Honestly, we've all been taking the michael out of Clev, and rightly so - he's been facing dross, but now he has an opportunity, the LH division is wide open if not slightly devoid of talent. He needs to face Shumenov, Cloud, Hopkins, Stevenson, Bellew, Dawson etc

Add Kolarov to that list as well.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDnQ0TkpiA

One of Ian John Lewis's finest moments, what a moron. This was turning into a good scrap.

Worst stoppage I've ever seen.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:46 pm

The IBF have ordered Hopkins to face Kovalev next I think. So that could rule him out.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Rowley wrote:My thoughts are this is a truly terrible fight. However do get the impression if Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore were to be reincarnated in their pomp and Clev was to take on them both a week apart he would receive criticism from some quarters.

I don't agree. I think that if Clev finally fights someone decent (he's a world title holder for god's sake!) then the vast majority of the criticism will vanish and he'll get support. But, Enzo Mac? Really? The guys been on the receiving end of 3 or 4 of the worst KOs I've ever seen. He was "KO'd" by Ovill McKenzie. Cleverly would become a figure of complete ridicule if he took this fight. The whole situation is like a broken record: "I want the top guys" then "I have to fight this 'tough' challenger first, but the next one will be a big one, honest".

No he wasn't. That was a dreadful stoppage.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:02 pm

I have no idea why that fight was stopped. Made no sense. Think McKenzie would have tonked him in round 5/6 but even still it was still competitive, Mac was intelligently defending and was fighting back, just in small bursts off the ropes.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

I cant make this fight who ever Clev decides to destroy as im away on an excavation. Hope its not Enzo Mac though. Its a pointless fight and Cardiff will be a warzone on that day. I havnt seen it mentioned anywhere though so not sure where the Enzo rumour has come from

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:

No opponent. 

No undercard, nothing. 

I would go to that fight, providing its a worthy opponent, I didn't go to see the nurse..

So you're not going then?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Honestly, we've all been taking the michael out of Clev, and rightly so - he's been facing dross, but now he has an opportunity, the LH division is wide open if not slightly devoid of talent. He needs to face Shumenov, Cloud, Hopkins, Stevenson, Bellew, Dawson etc

Even Pascal. I'd even take Bute as a step up! He has load of options. Frank must be able to land one of them!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:47 pm

bhb001 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Even Pascal. I'd even take Bute as a step up! He has load of options. Frank must be able to land one of them!!

Stevenson, Hopkins, Shumenov, Dawson, Pascal, Cloud, Kovalev, Bute.........and maybe Grachev, Campillo, Bellew, Chilemba would all mean something to differing degrees. The last 4 names on this list are a real stretch considering Clev's a multi-defense world titlist. It's getting beyond bad luck with matchmaking and is now looking like a bad Sven Ottke impression.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

I guess its going to be another nurse then as all the other guys are tied to other obligations...
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

Well summed up Boxthis. I could not agree with you more!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

Steffan wrote:I cant make this fight who ever Clev decides to destroy as im away on an excavation.
Maybe you could dig up a half decent opponent for your boy whilst you're out there.

PS why the need to tell us you're on an excavation? It smacks or arrogance and desperation and, quite frankly, no-one cares. It would have been enough to say you couldn't make the fight without trying to boast about whatever it is you do that you mistakenly believe we'd be impressed by.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I cant make this fight who ever Clev decides to destroy as im away on an excavation.
Maybe you could dig up a half decent opponent for your boy whilst you're out there.

PS why the need to tell us you're on an excavation? It smacks or arrogance and desperation and, quite frankly, no-one cares. It would have been enough to say you couldn't make the fight without trying to boast about whatever it is you do that you mistakenly believe we'd be impressed by.

Just hope he isn't excavating in Wales.........Nothing of value there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:26 pm

How DARE you? Wales is full of culture and blah blah blah whatever it says in the tour guide

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

Been there...done that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:33 pm

Let’s not be criticising Wales now kids. Genuinely lovely country. Even the presence of Steffan does little to spoil its beauty.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:35 pm

Michael Collins..........William Wallace.............Welsh rarebit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:40 pm

Dylan Thomas, Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins. It’s a cultural hotspot Truss

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:53 pm

Il ignore Trusses usual anti-Wales nonsense

Dave is just still mad at me because I exposed him as a liar and then the mods told him off for trying to bully me when this forum first started up Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:58 pm

Why has has warren announced the date of the fight but no opponent, why not wait untill its confirmed untill you start saying who 'might' be his opponent because fans won't buy into a card named Cleverly vs TBA

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:27 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I have no idea why that fight was stopped. Made no sense. Think McKenzie would have tonked him in round 5/6 but even still it was still competitive, Mac was intelligently defending and was fighting back, just in small bursts off the ropes.

Because IJL is an incompetent moron...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:28 pm

bhb001 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

No opponent. 

No undercard, nothing. 

So you're not going then?

Depends who the opponent is. They haven't announced it yet.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:29 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Hahaha

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:29 pm

Rowley wrote:Let’s not be criticising Wales now kids. Genuinely lovely country. Even the presence of Steffan does little to spoil its beauty.

Yeah we don't all hate the English for no good reason!!!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm

Boxing fan, look at the bold words. providing it is a worthy opponent. You aren't going to see Clev fight a worthy opponent this year. Next year is looking doubtful as well. Not really his fault. With only about 8 or 10 world class opponents around how is he to find someone willing to take the pride of Wales on. mo2

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

To be fair apparently they have already signed their half of the contract.

Convinced that HBO would rather see Kovalov vs Cleverly than Hopkins.

Full IFilm interview here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doC7NrVjzYQ

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Harsh Dave, grave robbing doesn't have the glamour it used to, and a guy's got to earn a crust.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Jun 2013, 7:36 am

http://www.livefight.com/news.php?news_id=2933&y=2013&m=06

Looks like Stevenson is unlikely to be the big name they crave, unless Nathan and Frank can find their passports.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

Shows how Bellew has jumped ahead of Clev now, phoney strap or not.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:30 am

Really disappointing that this is looking like there won't be a live opponent for Nathan Cleverley yet again.  Frankly it's getting a bit embarrassing now for him, and Warren should either get him a real fight (unlikely) or he should stop calling people out.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

Is this the same blakkmamba from the BBC days? If so welcome aboard, is good to see you have finally landed on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:39 am

It is mate Smile Flattered that you remember me, and good to be here and hopefully contribute to some great debates!

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:It is mate :)hopefully contribute to some great debates!

Gotta love an optimist. Wink. Welcome

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

Murat now has his visa, hopefully his Hopkins fight can be resurrected and Cleverly can take on the apparently credible challenge of Kovalev.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2