The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

+10
noleisthebest
rafanumberonefan
denzilsmom
I AM AWESOME
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
AFCWomble42
rafandready
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! Empty Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:29 am

The Spaniard added: "The world No 1 ranking is not in danger – it's finished. Let's not lie to ourselves, that's the reality. Nobody likes to lose. I have to see what's missing and work with a cool, open mind to decipher things and find the solutions." )

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/djokovic-stuns-clay-master-nadal-to-take-madrid-crown-2281303.html

Nadal has always been very humble, but this seems beyond the pale it is as if he is conceding that he can not retain the #1 ranking this year. Personally, I am novak fan and even I am not this negative on Rafa's chances. This is a guy who earlier in the year had a chance to win his 4th straight grandslam in Australia. I hope Novak does get the #1, and certainly at this stage unless he gets injured or goes into a monstrous slump he probably will get at least a few weeks at #1 at some stage of the season, and quite possibly more. Is Rafa being too humble? Has Novak gotten in his head a little? I still feel that Rafa can win RG and wimby play well the rest of the year and retain the number #1. With 3 grandslams left to play this seems like a very negative outlook in my mind. I hope Novak takes it, but this quote is really unusual to me. Not your standard cliched response to a tough reporter's question, it signals a bit at despondency and a shaken sense of belief. I hope not, because I think Rafa is maybe getting to down on himself after this loss.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! Empty Re: Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 11:03 am

socal1976 wrote:The Spaniard added: "The world No 1 ranking is not in danger – it's finished. Let's not lie to ourselves, that's the reality. Nobody likes to lose. I have to see what's missing and work with a cool, open mind to decipher things and find the solutions." )

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/djokovic-stuns-clay-master-nadal-to-take-madrid-crown-2281303.html

Nadal has always been very humble, but this seems beyond the pale it is as if he is conceding that he can not retain the #1 ranking this year. Personally, I am novak fan and even I am not this negative on Rafa's chances. This is a guy who earlier in the year had a chance to win his 4th straight grandslam in Australia. I hope Novak does get the #1, and certainly at this stage unless he gets injured or goes into a monstrous slump he probably will get at least a few weeks at #1 at some stage of the season, and quite possibly more. Is Rafa being too humble? Has Novak gotten in his head a little? I still feel that Rafa can win RG and wimby play well the rest of the year and retain the number #1. With 3 grandslams left to play this seems like a very negative outlook in my mind. I hope Novak takes it, but this quote is really unusual to me. Not your standard cliched response to a tough reporter's question, it signals a bit at despondency and a shaken sense of belief. I hope not, because I think Rafa is maybe getting to down on himself after this loss.

Socal I think you might be being a little sensitive here and reading too much into what could either be a misquote or Rafa´s poor English

He hardly would say this if the rest you take as written

I came up against a great player obviously – he's having a monster year," Nadal said afterwards. "He was better, you have to accept that

I wouild suggest that he is saying his No.1. ranking IS in danger. His position is finished and so lets not try kidding ourselves. He is I think being realistic in believing he is now going to be overtaken by Novak.. which is a foregone conclusion. Thats how I read it at any rate. To believe he is trying to belittle Novak´s achievement is proposterous.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! Empty Re: Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by rafandready Mon 09 May 2011, 11:10 am

I don't think it's a shocking quote by Rafa. I think it is obvious at the moment that unless Novak crashes and burns from hereon in (which doesn't look likely) then Rafa will be overtaken as he has it all to defend for the next few months. Depending on results the two could swap places again by the end of the year. There's still loads to play for with 3 more slams and is it 5 more Masters 1000 yet to come? Loads of points still up for grabs!
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 11:18 am

Never one to rest on his laurels, Rafael only takes notice of the year to date rankings. Wooffie provided the appropriate Rafa quote a while ago (I can't find it).

Back to top Go down

Post by AFCWomble42 Mon 09 May 2011, 11:20 am

Rafan, I agree entirely. Rafa could win everything he plays between now and the end of Wimbledon and the only points he could possibly gain are a few at Queens. Novak has much more capacity to gain points, particularly as I don't think he played Madrid last year, which means that points from Rome given the calendar change will just go straight on the current balance.

There is absolutely no point in worrying about what the other guy does, just concentrate on how you play. The only way that Rafa can affect Novak's points is by beating him in finals and even then, it wouldn't be enough to stop Novak getting to No 1. That doesn't, of course, mean that he'll stay there. I actually think it's a very sensible quote from Rafa.

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 11:21 am

Haddie, in no way am I suggesting Nadal is trying to take anything away from Novak, in fact the opposite; as great as I think Novak has played I think he is giving him too much credit and himself not enough. I always love Rafa's humble nature. But this is in my mind too big of concession to make, that is what strikes me as being a bit worrying. While you are still number #1 and with three grandslams left to be played to come out and say that the number #1 is finished is a little too negative of an outlook.

Rafandready, that was my whole point, you answered Rafa's question exactly like how he should have answered. He should have said lets see what happens, Ill try my best, and there are a lot of points to be played for with 3 grandslams to go. Credit to Rafa for giving respect to his opponent and being humble. But he shouldn't even be thinking these things let alone going public with them. If he really believes that at this point he has no chance of keeping the number one, well I think that his outlook is too negative.

Haddie could be right it could be a bad translation or poor english, but it strikes me as being a very pessimisitic quote and a sign that he is taking this loss too much to heart.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 11:33 am

" ... I have to see what's missing and work with a cool, open mind to decipher things and find the solutions." Rafa

This is just one of the reasons why I admire Rafa - his willingness to keep learning and improving, which seems to originate from his love and passion for the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon 09 May 2011, 11:46 am

Look. I think Rafa sometimes uses English words that are over-dramatic for what he really means – remember the AO interview with Jim Courier when he said “I destroyed him”. Then laughed, stopped himself and tried to back-track because that word was obviously too strong for what he meant, as “finished” could be. Anyhow, that’s a bit of a digression. If you’ve ever read many of Rafa’s interviews, he is full of stuff like “he will overtake me”, “For sure at some point he will get the No. 2 / the No.1” etc. Its just his style, there are those that don’t like it, but its what he does. Rafa always views the start of the season as being at point 0 (as Nore reminded us). With what Novak has done and won from the start, its obvious he is streets ahead in the race and Rafa knows that that sort of form takes the No. 1. And I don’t think he’s relinquishing Year End No. 1 … just trying to be realistic about his position now, and there will be changes with it … its inevitable.

Rather than his comments being shocking, personally, I am thrilled to hear him say that he has to see what is missing and that he will work with a cool, open mind to find the solutions. That’s really good news, because he does need to do just that. I think the consecutive nature of Novak’s run heightens what he is doing, but let me take you back to January 2010. Federer held the French Open, Wimbledon and the Australian Open. Rafa was languishing at No. 4. But a run from March of 2 x Masters SF, 3 Masters titles and 1 Major saw him take the No. 1 back in June. So you see, a run of results can get you at No. 1 quicker than you would imagine. Novak has 1 Major, 3 Masters, 1 x 500 series and 1 x 250 series, and yet he is still for now behind Rafa. And there’s still lots to play for.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 11:47 am

I think you are absolutely right NS.. first anf foremost it IS Rafa´s passion for the game itself.. he has said on so many occasion how lucky he is to be doing what he so loves to do and earning his living at it and having achieved so much so young. That to me is why he is humble.. grateful and thankful for his blessings., But as has been mentioned Rafa´s "own" rankings are what he does in a calendar year and what he will be by the end of that year. I do sincerely believe that the No.1. spot is not the be all and end all for Rafa. Winning matches is and playing to the best of his ability..knowing he has given of his best.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:45 pm

Wooffie wrote: I think the consecutive nature of Novak’s run heightens what he is doing, but let me take you back to January 2010. Federer held the French Open, Wimbledon and the Australian Open. Rafa was languishing at No. 4. But a run from March of 2 x Masters SF, 3 Masters titles and 1 Major saw him take the No. 1 back in June. So you see, a run of results can get you at No. 1 quicker than you would imagine. Novak has 1 Major, 3 Masters, 1 x 500 series and 1 x 250 series, and yet he is still for now behind Rafa. And there’s still lots to play for.

See that is exactly what I mean Wooffie, there's still lots to play for. Novak is on a run, but does Rafa believe that this year he can put on the same type of run Novak is currently on or better yet the kind of run he himself went on in 2008 and 2010? It seems that he is being a bit pessimistic and taking the loss too much to heart, which frankly I would advise against. If anything he needs to work on some better tactics and make a couple of minor adjustments when he plays Novak. I get that Rafa gives credit to his opponent and that is one of the things that makes him so cool, I appreciate that. But this wasn't a cliched response to a question that we often hear athletes make, he basically ceded the fact that he will lose the #1 ranking. He could have just said "Novak is playing great and I will try my best and see what happens". I mean he has said as much in other situations. But it seems he is making, in my mind too big a deal of this loss, Novak is on an epic hot streak; why doesn't he believe that he can do what he has done before and go on an even more epic hot streak?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 12:50 pm

Socal may be something said at the moment.. bearing in mind Rafa was and is very emotional at the loss of his friend Sevi Ballesteros.. he is by nature a very sensitive young man and maybe feeling things a little deeper than he should.. I should not read too much into it really.. Rafa will, when he recovers from the disappointment.,. bounce back as he always does... and then WATCH OUT Nole Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! 769663

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 09 May 2011, 12:56 pm

Think we need to cut him some slack. Obviously the guy has had a tough week. Dealing with the death of someone who was a hero for him, not playing that great in his home country, losing for a third consecutive time to his rival. Of course he's going to feel a bit down and probably couldn't be bothered with the usual 'I'll try my best noh?'.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Yes, Haddie you are right to an extent it has been an emotional couple of days for the young champion. I have no doubt that he will be fist pumping his way back to more glory. However, that was my only point, that this quote is a bit too negative; and just maybe, maybe he is taking it too hard. That is a dangerous thing in tennis, because it is the most mental of games and you don't want to let a loss effect you too much.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 09 May 2011, 1:21 pm

He'll be fine Socal. He's had worse losses.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 09 May 2011, 1:51 pm

I think the quote is a mixture of honesty and bad English.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Mon 09 May 2011, 3:09 pm

It's just Rafa being Rafa....he's the first to say it like it is....he never hides behind excuses and will always be brutally honest. The problem is translation....he does get his words muddled up and can be misquoted.

I'm glad to hear that he's working on a way to improve his game, and in a way this could be the challenge Rafa needs....he thrives on competition, and to be honest I don't think the No 1 is uppermost in his mind.....but beating Nole is....that's what he'll be working on at the moment.

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by rafanumberonefan Mon 09 May 2011, 3:21 pm

I think we need to remember that in Rafa's eyes all tennis players start a new season with nil points. To Rafa he didn't start the new season as the top player, to him you earn that ranking as you go. Not long ago he said ' there are no points to defend in any tournament only points to win. So in my mind when he said it was finished he meant it finished last year. To himself he isn't the top player........yet Wink He is working on that one Very Happy

rafanumberonefan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 3:25 pm

rafanumberonefan, maybe that is what he meant. And again it is possible I am reading to much into poor english. When you read it though it sounds very negative and despondent.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by rafanumberonefan Mon 09 May 2011, 3:34 pm

socal1976 wrote:rafanumberonefan, maybe that is what he meant. And again it is possible I am reading to much into poor english. When you read it though it sounds very negative and despondent.

You must read between the lines and talk like Rafa. Very Happy

rafanumberonefan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 09 May 2011, 4:08 pm

I some ways, I feel sorry for Rafa. I'm not a fan so don't follow him closely, but from what I can see, that uncle Tony looks like he's pushed Nadal a bit too far with trying to instill the down to Earth mentality.
It's good to be critical but not too hard on yourself.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 4:52 pm

Thats not just Uncle T its the way Rafa has been brought up.. Uncle Toni thinks of Rafa as a son .. the whole family have respect for each other so I dont think its a question of being pushed to have a down to earth mentality... it is the way it is.. Rafa has been brought up the Spanish way.. by the WHOLE family

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 09 May 2011, 5:59 pm

I think Rafa is just keeping himself focused. I think Uncle Toni has done wonders with Rafa. Sometimes the human touch is what is required for sportsmen. Rafa and Toni's relationship is special because of it. I have never heard anyone have a bad word to say about his conduct off court and I think he conducts himself very well. Rafa takes a lot on board from wins and losses. Rafa has so much respect for Toni and others. I remember hearing a story by where Rafa wrote thank you letters to the ball boys and girls at Wimbledon. I think that says how humble and human Rafa really is.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 6:05 pm

As I say its the "Spanish" way.. I think Rafa summed it up perfectly when he once said.. "How can you ever appreciate your victories if you do not have defeats" He will have learned from this experience and it will be, with the aid of Toni, his team, his friends and family, he will pick himself up and "tomorrow is another day another match"

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Mon 09 May 2011, 6:08 pm

socal1976 wrote:The Spaniard added: "The world No 1 ranking is not in danger – it's finished. Let's not lie to ourselves, that's the reality. Nobody likes to lose. I have to see what's missing and work with a cool, open mind to decipher things and find the solutions." )

Mind games. Rafa has not gotten to where he is by being so conciliatory. I've heard this all before. In the midst of the beatings that he meted out to Roger, he would always continuously proclaim Roger's greatness to all and sundry and then proceed to defeat Roger in the next match. I think he has been trying this with Novak, but it seems as if his mind games are backfiring as Novak is not taking the bait.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 6:32 pm

What would you expect him to do .. tell you how great Roger was and then go out and let Roger beat him... are you naive or just cynical ??

Novak is now telling us how great Rafa is ... but it doesn´t stop him going out there and beating him does it. Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! 1505004552 sorry a smiley was necessary. Cant believe it

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Kemet, I don't know if I buy that Rafa seems like a pretty genuinely modest person. What I find unusual about this quote is not that it is so complementary of Djokovic but so down on himself. He isn't proclaiming Novak the greatest he is saying his reign as #1 is finished weeks possibly months before it will happen.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Mon 09 May 2011, 8:41 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:What would you expect him to do .. tell you how great Roger was and then go out and let Roger beat him... are you naive or just cynical ??

Novak is now telling us how great Rafa is ... but it doesn´t stop him going out there and beating him does it. Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! 1505004552 sorry a smiley was necessary. Cant believe it

I am neither naive nor cynical my friend, but I can recognize false modesty when I see it, and I have found that Rafa went a bit overboard with the Roger plaudits in the past. A healthy respect of one's opponent is one thing, but it seems a bit calculated to continually say how great someone is and then continually beat them all the time.

So we can agree to disagree and the ad hominens are unnecessary.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Mon 09 May 2011, 8:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:Kemet, I don't know if I buy that Rafa seems like a pretty genuinely modest person. What I find unusual about this quote is not that it is so complementary of Djokovic but so down on himself. He isn't proclaiming Novak the greatest he is saying his reign as #1 is finished weeks possibly months before it will happen.

He's probably feeling the pressure of being the hunted as opposed to being the hunter. Roger had to deal with that pressure for a very long time.

I think he's mentally tough enough to deal with the pressure though.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 May 2011, 9:18 pm

kemet wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:What would you expect him to do .. tell you how great Roger was and then go out and let Roger beat him... are you naive or just cynical ??

I am neither naive nor cynical my friend, but I can recognize false modesty when I see it, and I have found that Rafa went a bit overboard with the Roger plaudits in the past. A healthy respect of one's opponent is one thing, but it seems a bit calculated to continually say how great someone is and then continually beat them all the time.

Well we can as long as you can see that unless you apply the same logic to the plaudits that Novak is handing out to Rafa your are in danger of lappearing to have double standards.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon 09 May 2011, 10:04 pm

Is it really so hard to accept that someone just might be a really nice, respectful person?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Mon 09 May 2011, 10:09 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
kemet wrote:

Well we can as long as you can see that unless you apply the same logic to the plaudits that Novak is handing out to Rafa your are in danger of lappearing to have double standards.

Sure I will apply the same logic and Novak is still right to hail Rafa as a dynamo on the red clay. Just because Rafa lost yesterday in conditions very dissimilar to Roland Garros (the Madrid court plays faster and the tournament is played at high altitude), does not mean that he is ripe for the picking all of a sudden. After all, this is Novak's first victory over Rafa in ten meetings. That is hardly an indicator of Novak's supremacy over Rafa on the red stuff.

The true test for Novak will come if he and Rafa cross paths in Rome or Paris. That will be a test of how far he has come.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 10 May 2011, 5:13 am

Frankly, I want to see Novak and Rafa play again in a grandslam in a five setter with all the chips on the table, that is the really big test. I think Novak is ready, but for this rivalry to become truely historic Novak needs to beat Rafa in a grandslam final. No easy ask for sure, but would love to see an epic final between these two at Roland Garros or at wimby, something that people would remember for years after. Like Borg v. Mac 1980 or Fed v. Nadal 08

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 11:48 am

I personally do not find the matches between Nadal and Djoko exciting tennis wise. But the drama certainly is cause of the tightness and length of the rallies.

However I fear that Djoko might simply make those matches more one sided as he grows in confidence. From what I saw recently, I believe it is Nadal who is going to be scared to play 5 setters versus Djoko cause physically Djoko is simply a more efficient player.

It;s going to be very interesting to see how Nadal is going to change his game cause he will simply have to. For years I have said he was one-dimensional....now is the time to prove me wrong!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:02 pm

What I find most interesting now is that people are backing Djoko over Nadal to last for a 5 set match. Even last year that wouldn't have been the case! Djoko I feel has really improved this year, physically he seems much more able to last in the really intense matches.

I would never write Nadal off though. The guys is determined to the core. This is great for tennis that Djoko is now making a charge to be no.1. Really shakes things up and makes it all the more exciting. Well it does for me anyway Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Nadal is never scared and is at his best over 5 sets... he is 24 yrs old not 42.. so dont you worry your little head over Nadal.. keep your fears for Federer.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 12:32 pm

What I find most interesting now is that people are backing Djoko over Nadal to last for a 5 set match.
-----------------------------

Were you one of those of thought that Nadal's 2 losses on HC woudl be avenged on clay because Nadal on clay was unbeatable?

Well Nadal lost even more easily actually...again as I had predicted.

You have to look at the end of the 3rd set in Miami....or even here in Madrid. Nadal now looks more exhausted than Djoko. Based on that information alone, I confidently predict that Djoko is more likely to win in best of 5 ...if it gets to 5 sets that is.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 10 May 2011, 12:33 pm

Tenez wrote:
It;s going to be very interesting to see how Nadal is going to change his game cause he will simply have to. For years I have said he was one-dimensional....now is the time to prove me wrong!
You do remember USO 2010 and 135+ mph first serves. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:40 pm

Tenez - that's my point though. A Couple of seasons ago, even last year, people were always questioning Djoko's fitness over 5 sets, not Nadal's. It's great how much he's managed to turn it around and prove his doubters wrong.

And I have to say I hadn't given too much thought to Nadal's losses on HC! I was surprised when I got my text update through though to say Djoko had beaten him on clay. Pleasently surprised though, I think tennis needs for things to get more exciting at the moment, and Djoko playing like he is is doing exactly that thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Tenez wrote:What I find most interesting now is that people are backing Djoko over Nadal to last for a 5 set match.

Were you one of those of thought that Nadal's 2 losses on HC woudl be avenged on clay because Nadal on clay was unbeatable?

You have to look at the end of the 3rd set in Miami....or even here in Madrid. Nadal now looks more exhausted than Djoko. Based on that information alone, I confidently predict that Djoko is more likely to win in best of 5 ...if it gets to 5 sets that is.

---------
-------------

Can we leave your obsesssion with Nadal for the moment and predict for us how Federer will cope with Djoko over 5 sets ...

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:49 pm

Haddie,

It's not an obsession, this topic is about Nadal. Please try and be respectful of other posters opinions even if you don't agree.

Thanks,

KB

Anyway, over 5 sets it's new ground, they've only met once in a 5 setter and Nadal won it 3-1 so it's got potential to be a classic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 12:53 pm

This poster is a Federer fan.. I am asking what his opinion is of how Federer will cope with Djokovic.. his entire postings are on the failings of Nadal. particularly with a view to beating Djokovic over 5 sets.. its as simple enough question to which I would like an answer . How does he think , bearing in mind if Nadal cannot beat Djokovic over 5 sets he thinjs Federer will. ok?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:55 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:This poster is a Federer fan.. I am asking what his opinion is of how Federer will cope with Djokovic.. his entire postings are on the failings of Nadal. particularly with a view to beating Djokovic over 5 sets.. its as simple enough question to which I would like an answer . How does he think , bearing in mind if Nadal cannot beat Djokovic over 5 sets he thinjs Federer will. ok?

Haddie,

That's fine. The comment about it being an obsession was not needed.

Thanks,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 10 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
Tenez wrote:What I find most interesting now is that people are backing Djoko over Nadal to last for a 5 set match.

---------
-------------

Can we leave your obsesssion with Nadal for the moment and predict for us how Federer will cope with Djoko over 5 sets ...

The only 5-setter Nole-Fed have played is USO 2010. The only 4-setter is USO 2008. They have played close 3 sets in Bo5 matches on HC. Their two meetings on clay are 1-1, Nole winning Rome 2009, Fed winning MC 2006.

Nole is much fitter now then he was before. His breathing issues seem to be behind him. If Nole were to play Fed @RG 2011, he would beat Fed, perhaps in 4 or 5, but more than likely 3 sets.

BTW, being a Federer fan should be perfectly acceptable. Attaching a stigma to fan of a particular player is a bit unfair.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 1:40 pm

Oh dear Oh dear... how many times have I been called a Nadal fan...??? and Im proud of it.. where is the stigma in that. Im sorry that you think being a fan of Federer has a stigma attached.. he would be pleased.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 2:19 pm

Hi laverfan - So you are a member here. Good.

Federer has one of the worst 5 setter record in history..if I rmember correctly...but strangely enough is the only one that beat Nadal (the best in the history in that department) over 5 sets as far as I remember. So what to draw from those stats? ....as usual not much.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 2:22 pm

But the querstion was not about his record with NADAL but how he will cope with DJOKOVIC over 5 sets..

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Tue 10 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:But the querstion was not about his record with NADAL but how he will cope with DJOKOVIC over 5 sets..

On what court? Grass, Clay or Hard? If on grass I reckon that Federer can beat Djokovic in 3/4. However it's a totally different ball game on Hard or Clay. Hard, as it has been shown in the past I can see Roger beaten in 3 or 4 if both players meet again on their current form, however if Roger ups his game to say US open 2010, then I can see Federer edging it in 5 sets. Clay though, especially at RG I can imagine Federer being beaten in 3 sets.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 2:48 pm

Clay though, especially at RG I can imagine Federer being beaten in 3 sets..
-------------------------

It's all a question of match up. I was very impressed by the way Fed played Nadal in Madrid and I like to think that fed would have less trouble versus Djoko.

But time will tell for sure....though there is not much of it left on Federer's side.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Tue 10 May 2011, 3:25 pm

Tenez wrote:Clay though, especially at RG I can imagine Federer being beaten in 3 sets..
-------------------------

It's all a question of match up. I was very impressed by the way Fed played Nadal in Madrid and I like to think that fed would have less trouble versus Djoko.

But time will tell for sure....though there is not much of it left on Federer's side.
Hmmm... true but the thing that really helped Fed is that the clay court of Madrid is much faster than Rolland Garros. Also time really isn't much of an issue as many people seem to make. Federer is 29, it's not very old, he can play and stay at the top up until 32/33 I reckon because of his fitness. In fact in many sports it's when you reach late 20s and early 30s when you hit your peak for your career.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 3:33 pm

But the problem for Fed in Madrid, especially against Nadal, is the high topspin. So even though it was fast, it made the timing on his BH harder than on lower bounce.

I agree with Federer having till 32 to win GS and I am one of the few who thinks his game is , overall, better than in 2007. But the problem he has with age, and yes already at 28/29 is that it is harder to recover from the previous day match.

This is is why he has lost quite a few finals recently, especially after having played tough matches versus Djoko in the semis.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next