The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan

+5
_homogenised_
invisiblecoolers
time please
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
9 posters

Go down

Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan Empty Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

This evening we are on the eve of Wimbledon 2013 and I feel this is the most open Wimbledon tournament since before the days of Roger Federer's domination.

As a Murray fan I realise a lot of home pressure will be heaped upon him but he has proven he can carry that pressure in the past so I have no issues there. Of course he is not long back from a back injury so he should be physically fresh after a few weeks R and R. I always feel Andy needs a lot of things to click into place to make him into a possible slam winner. His serve stats must improve on those at Queen's, he must maintain a more aggressive game plan and cut out bouts of passivity and mentally must be tuned in and allow no slips of concentration or focus.

As far as the draws go it didn't turn out too bad for Andy. It could have been worse (Nadal in the quarters) but could have been better (Ferrer in the semis) but I will admit to being disappointed if he doesn't at least reach the semis. We know, should he get that far, he will face either Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal both of whom offer a different challenge. Whereas Roger is a grass court master with the perfect game for the surface you feel the consistently high level of play is lacking but it will test Andy's belief and mettle. There is no hiding from the fact that Rafa is Andy's nemesis. In the past he has had to endure a fair few painful defeats to the Spaniard at the business end of slams and that must weigh on his mind. However, it is also true that since they last played each other Andy's whole outlook has improved under Ivan Lendl. He has finally proven he has a winner's mentality in crunch matches (US Open and Olympic Final), his forehand is a far more potent weapon and his aggression levels have increased but the new look Andy has yet to face Rafa and until we see this new improved Andy pull off a win over him you have to go on past form. If he finds the way to beat Rafa (if that is to be the semi)then I'd be super-confident that this is to be Andy's year at Wimbledon.

If Andy does fail to win Wimbledon it will be disappointing but not the end of the world. He has already got the monkey off his back about no slam wins but now you feel it is time for him to stand up and show the pedigree that he has as a grass court player.

In any case whoever is your favourite player enjoy the Wimbledon fortnight and may the best man win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan Empty Re: Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:00 pm

The Henman years taught me to keep my hopes down, but I too will be disappointed with anything less than a semi-final. Of course, if he gets to the semi-final, then keeping my hopes down will become difficult.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan Empty Re: Wimbledon 2013 Preview From A Murray Fan

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm

For me, if this makes sense, Andy's final will be the semi. If he wins against either Roger or Rafa then I would be very confident of his chances in the final. Such a win would be a massive boost to his confidence and self-belief. All ifs and buts at the moment.

Andy needs to go by the old cliche of taking one match at a time and getting through with the minimum of fuss and energy used.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm

Yes, don't want to see him in any of those matches where he's berating himself and getting down - even f he gets through them, it's the wrong mental state and uses up emotional energy.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

Well like I say when you watch Roger it all comes so naturally to him but it is not so well-oiled for Murray like I said. He has the focus issues but that has improved immeasurably in the last couple of years, his serve goes astray at times and need to serve in high 60% and better protect his second serve and if he can do that then he is right in there with a great chance.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 24 Jun 2013, 1:33 am

I would love to see Andy Murray win Wimbledon - I expect Nadal to come through against TMF and would be really disappointed not to see Andy in the semis.  I think he can beat Nadal but he simply can't let his focus and intensity go, and he certainly can't show that to Nadal if he does have a few games where his concentration wavers.  He has got to go for the second serve too (which he was being better at for a while) - there is no point in serving up a soft second delivery, he might as well risk a few more double faults than give the top players such a gift.

Fingers crossed that stepping onto CC will recall last Summer's triumph and inspire him all the way. Fingers Crossed

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 24 Jun 2013, 1:35 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:For me, if this makes sense, Andy's final will be the semi. If he wins against either Roger or Rafa then I would be very confident of his chances in the final. Such a win would be a massive boost to his confidence and self-belief. All ifs and buts at the moment.

Andy needs to go by the old cliche of taking one match at a time and getting through with the minimum of fuss and energy used.

Did you forget the Australian Open , Andy beat an off form Fed only to be thumbed by Djoko in the finals, the current Fed/Rafa or more or less in the same criteria , so win against them would be meaningless if he can't upstage Djoko in the finals if it happens to be the case.

Andy certainly is the favourite for the tournament, no more the heavy favourite like predicted before the draw due to draw, this will be make or brake tournament for Andy.Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:47 am

Murray isn't the favourite at all (and certainly not by the bookies). Djokovic is a better player and WN1 by quite a margin. If Djokovic meets Murray, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Murray win.  He has a chance of winning it, but it just isn't as good a chance as you are hoping.  Every single year Murray fans get their hopes up and every year he is battered or bruised.  The US Open win was more to do with Djokovic's awful play in the wind than it was Murray upstaging him on ability.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:07 am

Homogenised, as so many people on here are forecasting Murray to reach the semis (and that is by fans of other players too) then that alone displays where Andy stands in the game now. Frankly, as long as he continues to play to such a high level then hopes will always be high and no matter what others wish they will not diminish that hope.

As for Djokovic being a better player by quite a margin (in your words) then stop exaggerating. On clay he definitely is, on hard courts it is very close but may just give Djoko the edge just now and on grass it is fair to say that Murray is the better player.

And ic I have not forgotten the Australian Open but remember that is Djoko's domain - he has been supreme in Melbourne in his career but less so at Wimbledon. For me Rafa is the key man here. He is in form and will be hungry to lay ghosts to rest at Wimbledon and that is why I put much more stock in a win over Rafa. Obviously, any match over Novak is ever easy but Murray has proven in the past 18 months that he can compete with and beat the Serb in big matches such as the US Open and in the Olympics at Wimbledon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:12 am

_homogenised_ wrote:Murray isn't the favourite at all (and certainly not by the bookies). Djokovic is a better player and WN1 by quite a margin. If Djokovic meets Murray, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Murray win.  He has a chance of winning it, but it just isn't as good a chance as you are hoping.  Every single year Murray fans get their hopes up and every year he is battered or bruised.  The US Open win was more to do with Djokovic's awful play in the wind than it was Murray upstaging him on ability.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Hilarious article and now a hilarious contribution - Wimbledon is certainly starting with mirth on these boards

We'll ignore the final set, when the wind dropped and Novak didn't know what day of the week it was Rolling Eyes

But you keep this standard of contributions up, it's riveting stuff picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:27 am

CC

I think we overtly worry about Andy. For me he's in a different place to even this time last year and looks far more comfortable with the expectation heaped on him

Whilst we've only seen this at Queen's - even last year he would not have come back against (for once) a Cilic that battled until the end. For me he's got that arrogant streak, that element that all winners have - which states they are determined to show who's boss

Of course he's got three others like this as well. But now his current best, on this surface, is arguably the best of the all and that's the difference

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:36 am

I've removed the speculation as to the alter-egos or otherwise of posters.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I've removed the speculation as to the alter-egos or otherwise of posters.
Darn it, I'd like to have read that!

Let's find out who you really are, JHM.

Gasp! It's Old Man Withers from the haunted amusement park!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:57 am

Yes Andy has improved many facets of his game under Ivan Lendl but we have yet to see how Andy fares against Rafa and whether he can bring those improvements to the table. Until he does we can only speculate but for me he is Andy's big danger and that is not down playing Roger or Novak. We have seen that the improved Andy can compete with and beat Novak and Roger in big matches but have yet to see if that is the case against Rafa. That is the reason for my caution.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:04 am

_homogenised_ wrote:  The US Open win was more to do with Djokovic's awful play in the wind than it was Murray upstaging him on ability.
When a player adapts better to windy conditions, that's a pretty clear example of upstaging your opponent on ability. It shows greater adaptability and flexibility in his game. And I say that as a Novak fan.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I've removed the speculation as to the alter-egos or otherwise of posters.
Darn it, I'd like to have read that!

Let's find out who you really are, JHM.

Gasp! It's Old Man Withers from the haunted amusement park!

I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you pesky Djokovic fans.

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

No problem banbrotam, but obviously I had to delete your last post as well Smile

I don't think the 'allegation' is correct by the way, but we'll have to leave it at that. thumbsup

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:32 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:No problem banbrotam, but obviously I had to delete your last post as well Smile

I don't think the 'allegation' is correct by the way, but we'll have to leave it at that. thumbsup
Fortunately I saw it before you deleted it.

Who would have thought that Homogenised was Alan Alda?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:40 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:No problem banbrotam, but obviously I had to delete your last post as well Smile

Fortunately I saw it before you deleted it.

Who would have thought that Homogenised was Alan Alda?!

Laugh
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:22 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Homogenised, as so many people on here are forecasting Murray to reach the semis (and that is by fans of other players too) then that alone displays where Andy stands in the game now. Frankly, as long as he continues to play to such a high level then hopes will always be high and no matter what others wish they will not diminish that hope.

As for Djokovic being a better player by quite a margin (in your words) then stop exaggerating. On clay he definitely is, on hard courts it is very close but may just give Djoko the edge just now and on grass it is fair to say that Murray is the better player.

And ic I have not forgotten the Australian Open but remember that is Djoko's domain - he has been supreme in Melbourne in his career but less so at Wimbledon. For me Rafa is the key man here. He is in form and will be hungry to lay ghosts to rest at Wimbledon and that is why I put much more stock in a win over Rafa. Obviously, any match over Novak is ever easy but Murray has proven in the past 18 months that he can compete with and beat the Serb in big matches such as the US Open and in the Olympics at Wimbledon.

Not really, Murray is getting older and only has a few more realistic shots at the Wimbledon title.  Time is running out.  He was predicted to win it by many for years.  It took him all this time to win just 1 slam.  He is overhyped enormously every year, and it just breeds disappointment.  It is better to accept that he is a fair distance from Djokovic and Nadal (and even Grandpa Federer on this slow grass).  I am sure he has a chance to win it, but it simply isn't as good a chance as everyone is making out.  I await yet another loss this year.... and then another "he is favourite" next year.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

What are you blethering about? Where have I said he was the favourite? He has a damned good chance and yes even Roger Federer is tipping Murray for the title so forgive me if I take his opinion over yours who seems to have a chip the size of Centre Court on your shoulder with regards Andy Murray. And sorry but you need swift education when it comes to tennis if you think he is a fair distance on grass from the other three. I take it you never watched the Olympics where he comfortably beat Djokovic and blew Roger off the court? I take it you also missed him winning three Queen's Club titles (level now with the great Jimmy Connors on that score).

I get the impression you hold a lot of anger about 'the overhyping' but lets remember who does the overhyping shall we? The British Media - the same British Media that screwed him enormously in 2006. Enjoy the tennis but try removing that chip first eh? At least I know that, whoever ends up winning, I will be generous enough to give due credit to the champion whoever he is - somehow I cannot see you doing the same judging by your views on Rafa and Andy for starters.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

Good luck to Murray, I certainly hope that he wins it this time around. OK

For what it's worth it though, I think he'll make the final but lose to Djokovic. Hope he proves me wrong though!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:42 am

_homogenised_ wrote:He is overhyped enormously every year, and it just breeds disappointment.

Using the dictionary definition of "overhyped" - "To promote or publicize to excess"

Can you explain how...............

1) A permanent resident of the Top 4
2) A player who won the last major grass court tournament, beating two players who has won Wimbledon before, on the way
3) A player who has equalled or improved his result at Wimbledon every year (except 2007 when he didn't take part)
4) A player who has reached at least the semi's for the last four years

.........................can possibly be "overhyped". Given that the media / forums are only saying he is one of the favourites or at best slight favourite?

I await your answer with disinterest

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:43 am

Well Craig suffice to say from me of course I would wish for a Rafa win... coming up on the outside as a close second Ill go for Andy Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:44 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:What are you blethering about? Where have I said he was the favourite? He has a damned good chance and yes even Roger Federer is tipping Murray for the title so forgive me if I take his opinion over yours who seems to have a chip the size of Centre Court on your shoulder with regards Andy Murray. And sorry but you need swift education when it comes to tennis if you think he is a fair distance on grass from the other three. I take it you never watched the Olympics where he comfortably beat Djokovic and blew Roger off the court? I take it you also missed him winning three Queen's Club titles (level now with the great Jimmy Connors on that score).

I get the impression you hold a lot of anger about 'the overhyping' but lets remember who does the overhyping shall we? The British Media - the same British Media that screwed him enormously in 2006. Enjoy the tennis but try removing that chip first eh? At least I know that, whoever ends up winning, I will be generous enough to give due credit to the champion whoever he is - somehow I cannot see you doing the same judging by your views on Rafa and Andy for starters.

Actually, in fairness to the media he is not 'overhyped'. He was in 2006 and Henman was throughout his career. But given that Andy is now a slam holder and won The Olympics - saying he could win is not overhype

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well Craig suffice to say from me of course I would wish for a Rafa win... coming up on the outside as a close second Ill go for Andy Wink

The fascinating thing is that each top player has a cross to bear this year.

Novak has lost that seemingly iron will to win in the last couple of months.

Andy carries weight of expectation.

Roger's age and drop in consistent form hinders him.

Rafa has 'that knee' to worry about in a non-clay slam.

May the best man win. OK
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:49 am

Bubbly

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:50 am

By the way homogenised whatever the result Andy is quoted in newspapers as saying he'd sooner see Ross Hutchins get the all clear than him winning Wimbledon as 'there is more to life than tennis'. Great sentiment Andy. notworthy
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Heres hoping

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:By the way homogenised whatever the result Andy is quoted in newspapers as saying he'd sooner see Ross Hutchins get the all clear than him winning Wimbledon as 'there is more to life than tennis'. Great sentiment Andy. notworthy

That's a nice sentiment. It shows that off the court he can actually act decent.  On court, I can't really get behind him...  Andy has a good chance of winning, we all know that, but he is most definitely 2nd or third favourite.  Especially with that plum draw Djokovic has.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down