The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell??

+7
John Bloody Wayne
Kenny
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
Valero's Conscience
JabMachineMK2
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
11 posters

Go down

Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell?? Empty Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:35 am

Just watched a few pressers that Eddie held with Campbell as well as some interviews after the presser and I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about Luke Campbell.

Hearn claims he feels that Campbell is going to revolutionize British Boxing..........why? I seen him fight in the Ams but didnt see anything to suggest that this is Britain's next best thing within the pro ranks.

Dont get me wrong, he is a nice lad and did great in the Olympics, but Hearn seems to be ripping the arse out of this build up a little.

If he thinks the coffin dodging, blue wig brigade who watch Strictly Come Dancing are going to all of a sudden become major customers to boxing events the he has lost the plot.

Also I think the way Hearn has begun promoting Campbell will do more damage with the hardcore, sad loser element of boxing fans that are on here day in and day out....Cool the reason for this is it doesnt take much to draw criticism from hardcore folk and by going on about how amazing, good looking.....yes this is the stuff Hearn is spouting on camera.... he is leaving Campbell out to dry for people to dislike him.

The lad hasnt even made his debut yet, but you will be guaranteed the first "off" night he has, its curtains as he will be slated for it.

Wish Hearn hadn't put him on the high perch as I believe it wont be long until he is knocked off it. I think the more Hearn is targeting families and saturday evening TV viewers for Campbell shows the more he will distance the section that always watch the sport. And if/when Campbell loses then what?

Thoughts on Campbell? Hearn's claims regarding him? Anything? SOME PLEASEEEE TALK TO MEEEEE!!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell?? Empty Re: Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell??

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Yeah, saw this myself and thought "Erm...Eddie....he's not Floyd Mayweather...."

He's doing "his biggest show ever"? Erm....

Something stinks here. Not sure why he's pushing Luke so hard so fast, theres no need to - Hearn has a great stable at the moment, he doesn't need to push everyone along this hard and create this much hype, he should allow the hype to generate itself.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell?? Empty Re: Is Eddie Hearn going over the top bout Luke Campbell??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:46 am

Agreed JM. Hearn claims they have sold lots of "family" tickets.

Sounds like he is trying to sell boxings "justin Bieber" too me
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 11:53 am

Its a shame really, because we really have no idea how he's going to fare. It seems now that instead of those journeyman/bum fights that you sign yourself with your trainer/manager, that first shaky few years where you quit your job and you're fighting 5/6 times in places you really wouldn't like to - dingy little halls, grafting your way up the rankings - living paycheque to paycheque and sleeping in B&B's - living on trains and in gyms.

All gone thanks to Uncle Eddie. Those are the elements of a career that make you hard, they steel you for whats to come - losing isn't something you fear too much, but it teaches you not to be complacent and give you the desire to do better.

Now all you need to succeed is a good promoter.

They're getting involved TOO early and not allowing a boxer to have the natural progression through lifestyle, they're just arranging fights and saying "fight him" "fight him" "fight him" ""you lost against him, seeya later"

I may write an article on this.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

Sounds like Hearn is hoping Campbell can be like ODLH when he first came pro.

It's not wise for any fighter to have lots of exposure early on as 'm sure they would want to learn their pro trade out of public scrutiny.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

Not taking from your article at all Reborn, must say its very observant and exactly what I was thinking. Mine will cover more the early game and the difference that the new guys see if they're picked up by promoters rather than what had to be done in the 80's 90's to get recognised.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:17 pm

Campbell has massive support in Hull, so I'm sure that is what this is about.

He is a European and Olympic champion as well...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:46 pm

I know that mate but before Campbell has even seen a second of a pro fight Hearn is claiming he is the second coming of boxing.

My point is, should he really be coming out with such bold claims before Campbell has even stepped foot in the ring as a pro because as we have seen countlessly over the years. We all love to shoot a fighter down the second he does the slightest thing wrong.

Watch how Campbell is a hype job or chinny should he get put down in his first few fights.

As JM said, Campbell should be eased in at the start and showcase his talent, then promote him as we see him. If he struggles to KO people then he can be promoted as "slick" or if he starts KO'in people then promote him as "a banger". But some of the stuff Hearn is coming out with before his debut, I feel, is treading dangerous close to people maybe hoping Campbell trips up.

Audley Harrison was an Olypmic champion and was promoted as the next Lennox Lewis when turning pro. People where laughing their heads off when he fluffed it all.

Hopefully Campbell does well, but the point is, should so much be put on his shoulders prior to him even having his 1st fight?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

Hearn sees a lot fo money in Campbell and at a very early stage of shi career. He has huge support in Hull, so I think Hearn is very excited about that. I like Campbell, but haven't seen anything to say he will be a top pro. Time will tell.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

one of my rare ventures at posting on here so be gentle guys

I have tickets to see this ,the show it's self looks like a good card with Ogogo added today aswell so looking forward to a good night .

I have seen Luke fight few times and he is a skillful boxer , i do however think he is lacking in power so could struggle in the pros .
All of Hull will be behind him on the 13th July so i do expect a win in front of his home fans , but i agree with the op it's far to much hype to soon .

to be honest the fight i'm looking forward to is Tommy Coyle v Derry Mattews
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:01 pm

Bit late on the vitriol there Mr England.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:28 pm

Bloody hell Mark, easy there fella. No, I didn't spar with Luke Campbell. You're rather late as JBW mentioned.

But if thats the best you can offer the boxing board, off you pop princess.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:12 pm

Jm apologies, did not see the post till just now, would have got shut of it sooner if I had seen it. All a little over the top and unnecessary.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

Anyhow back to the topic I guess it is difficult with a guy like Campbell. Like all fans guess we would all like to see him learning his trade on undercards and getting the rounds in. However Eddie is a business man and if he has a guy capable of shifting in excess of 10,000 tickets he is not likely to do so. You would probably have to say he is being a bit remiss in his duties to Campbell if the kid is capable of shifting those numbers and Eddie has him stuck away on an undercard at the Donny Dome for £500.

The problem for me is in the level of expectancy with fans. As we saw with Audley and to some extent Degale guys headlining shows with four round learning bouts can be a bit of a PR disaster and can soon create antagonism from fans and Eddie will have to guard against that. However there is no reason he cannot be matched right irrespective of where he is on the bill. To be honest it could work out better for him because if he is headlining there may be a reluctance to chuck him in with complete tomato cans as is often done with novice pros.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:43 pm

I'm going to be interested in what happens over the next year with matchroom...

With limited dates and a huge array of stars I fail to see how he can accomodate them all without going down the PPV route a plenty..

Because a lot are at world level and will want paying handsomely and quite a few will have to be put on the same card making it very expensive....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:56 pm

Perhaps he sees him as another Ricky Hatton type who can be a "man of the people".

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:57 pm

To be fair I have been to Hull. They have sod all else to get excited about up there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm

Don't worry Rowley, didn't think much of it to be honest, but appreciated all the same kiss

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

You do get the feeling that boxing is on the verge of having that football factor with a few new boxers. I.e. they get everything on a plate early on so they believe the hype and think that they have made it before achieving anything. Lets hope the likes of campbell and ogogo are down to earth enough to keep their heads. But as has been said they should never be in this position this early on to begin with.

I suppose young fury and eubank are in a similar situation. It can be good for the fans to follow a fighter right from the start but not sure about for the fighter themselves.

Having said that with the card just around the corner I cant wait as it's been far too long since I've been to a boxing night

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down