The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay

+4
ryan86
JubbaIsle
kingraf
invisiblecoolers
8 posters

Go down

Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay Empty Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm

If I am right Tsonga withdrew as well citing injury which more or less happened due to playing the match.

We already had 5 big names withdrawn so far with Vika the biggest casuality.

So my question " Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay"

So many players have slipped and got injured in this tournament so far, are people gonna raise voice against Wimbledon grass like they did against Blue clay? or they just feared of Wimbledon authorities that they will keep mum?

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay Empty Re: Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

They will keep mum, more than keep mum, they will probably later mutter about their poor footwork, or merely losing their footing. The rate with which it it happened was just a co-incidence.
Now, that may or not be true, but that will be the hymn sheet.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay Empty Re: Wimbledon grass proving more dangerous than Blue Clay

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:16 pm

Moan all they like, the grass is in better condition than wet, windy last year, FGS !

Grass is grass, they don't expect to push off on clay do they ?

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

We almost had to add facial reconstruction to Stakhovsky there.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Actually, it shows that some players don't realise that the game is played on three different surfaces (four if you include carpet)

It's great that for once the grass is playing a bit like grass and that no doubt the likes of the screamer are muttering "grass was meant for cows"

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

@ BB, while grass is playing like a grass and we saw a very good grass court tennis win over a legend, but also what we saw is too much people slipping and hurting themselves, I don't remember this much causality at Blue Clay which came for heavy criticsm ,so why not people apply the same logic for Wimbledon grass.

Either Blue clay shouldn't have got criticism on its debut or Wimbledon grass should get its due.

Unfortunately Wimbledon as a tournament is way bigger than players and hence players voice would not be respected where as lesser tournament like Madrid was bullied to submission.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

This from Wimby via the BBC live text :-

Wimbledon chief executive Richard Lewis has released a bullish statement, defending the state of the court surface after several players and pundits questioned whether it was to blame for the record number of withdrawals today.

"We have no reason to think this is the case. Indeed, many players have complimented us on the very good condition of the courts," he said.

"The court preparation has been to exactly the same meticulous standard as in previous years.

"The factual evidence, which is independently checked, is that the courts are almost identical to last year, as dry and firm as they should be, and we expect them to continue to play to their usual high quality."

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

Blue clay was the safest surface as it prevented Nadal from winning.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 4:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:This from Wimby via the BBC live text :-

Wimbledon chief executive Richard Lewis has released a bullish statement, defending the state of the court surface after several players and pundits questioned whether it was to blame for the record number of withdrawals today.

"We have no reason to think this is the case. Indeed, many players have complimented us on the very good condition of the courts," he said.

"The court preparation has been to exactly the same meticulous standard as in previous years.

"The factual evidence, which is independently checked, is that the courts are almost identical to last year, as dry and firm as they should be, and we expect them to continue to play to their usual high quality."

Thx for the quotes, thats the exact thing I was talking about in my previous comment, players have no voice to raise against Wimbledon's slippery surface in contrast to bullying Madrid and Tiriac to submission on Blue Clay issue.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Blue clay was the safest surface as it prevented Nadal from winning.

notworthynotworthynotworthynotworthynotworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Thu 27 Jun 2013, 5:47 am

Azarenka, Sharapova and Wozniacki have poor grass-court technique...they seem to think they can push off hard on grass as they would on hardcourts.  If the three of them think that grass is so dangerous to them, then do us a favour - don't come back next year.

Yesterday, I watched Dustin Brown-Lleyton Hewitt, Sloane Stephens-Petkovic, and Federer-Stakhovsky, and in all three matches, the players coped with typical grass-court conditions without any serious problems.  Yes, there was the occasional slip, but that's par for the course on grass.  All six of these players had no fears for the grass, and coped with their slips accordingly, and showed much better grass-court technique than Azarenka, Sharapova and Wozniacki.

Instead of blaming the grass, these three need to look at how they approach playing on grass....

As for blue clay, I see nothing wrong with that either...much ado about nothing.
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 27 Jun 2013, 12:21 pm

shivfan wrote:

As for blue clay, I see nothing wrong with that either...much ado about nothing.

Thats the thing I wanna mention, its just different treatment to different organization by the players.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down