The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12

+33
sportslover
JubbaIsle
Diggers
whocares
Cogen
Hibbz
CaledonianCraig
ryan86
HM Murdock
invisiblecoolers
lags72
subhranshu.kumar.5
carrieg4
barrystar
Haddie-nuff
time please
Henman Bill
coolpixel
NickisBHAFC
lydian
laverfan
banbrotam
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
ALPanorak
Good Golly I'm Olly
Calder106
Chydremion
Danny_1982
kingraf
bogbrush
slashermcguirk
Jahu
37 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12 - Page 5 Empty Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Well here we are at the business end. Centre Court will be the gladitorial theatre. Here's hoping for some blockbuster encounters and winners by the bucketloads!

Novak Djokovic v Juan Martin Del Potro

Andy Murray v Jerzy Janowicz

The first one certainly the pick of the matches.

The money is on another Andy v Novak final. Can Delpo and Jerzy cause the top seeds a massive upset to rival the biggest upsets?

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12

Post by laverfan Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

Calder106 wrote:
laverfan wrote:They should have closed the roof at the beginning of the match, but there was no way to predict it would not be a quick 3-setter.
Disagree its meant to be an outdoor tournament. As much as sensible should played outdoors. Not complaining about the roof being closed at this time. It's annoying but a decision had to be made.

The challenge is that match is now similar to a WTA coaching-allowed tournament, with locker-room conversations.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wimbledon - Mens Semi Final Day 12

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:
banbrotam wrote:In fairness, I always thought they brought the roof on at the beggining of the next set - if they think they haven't got enough light to last the entire set

I actually think this just pumps Murray more

Not certain why JJ wants the roof. Is he thinking of Paris indoors last year? Different match, different conditions and he's not played under the roof

Janowicz is the more aggressive, hard hitting player and will benefit from the indoor conditions as the ball will cut through the air a little faster improving the chances of aces, unreturenables and winners and making it harder for the returner/ retrieiver part of Murray's game.

Arguably, the roof was key to Federer in winning the title, and maybe to Rosol in beating Rafa.

But we're comparing two different situations. The roof will be faster in comparison to the cool condtions of last years final, where the outside humidity made it slower (than the roof)

But surely tonight given the absence of humidity and plenty of warmth means that these outside conditions are probably faster than under the roof

I suppose we'll see - I am assuming that the roof plays the same no matter what the weather

Banbro, you might have to explain to me inn more detail. To be honest I don't think I understand. Or if you like leave it to another day.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

Cogen wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:Janowicz is the more aggressive, hard hitting player and will benefit from the indoor conditions as the ball will cut through the air a little faster.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember Murray saying the court actually played slower once it was closed, after his match against Wawrinka a few years ago? chin

Correct. It entirely depends on what the conditons were like before the closure

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:I meant classless as in his attitude. Very unsportsmanlike when he gets a point.

Like Murray shouting comon on several of JJs errors?

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:04 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Need a roofless performance from Murray now!

I'm hoping for a floorless one from Janowicz.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:04 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
banbrotam wrote: I agree with Henman that Murray is now the best when[ he puts it all together
You think Murray's best is better than Rafa, Roger and Novak's best?

I can't think of a single metric to back that up.

So does that mean every defeat was not at the players best? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

While we're waiting for the start, how do you all see the overall speed of the court WITHOUT ROOF compared to last year? To me it looks no different and yet we seem to be seeing strong W/UE ratios this year, more serve volley, more volley in general this year.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:06 pm

Bet Lindsay glad to be out of the BBC studio!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm

@BanBro... JJ already has 140+ mph serves. How will faster and/or slower conditions impact the match?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

@HB.. the first week played faster, IMO, but the second week is a bit slower than the first week.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
banbrotam wrote: I agree with Henman that Murray is now the best when[ he puts it all together
You think Murray's best is better than Rafa, Roger and Novak's best?

I can't think of a single metric to back that up.
There isn't.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:10 pm

laverfan wrote:@BanBro... JJ already has 140+ mph serves. How will faster and/or slower conditions impact the match?

Just to clear up one point serve speed is measured based on the speed shortly after leaving the racquet. Conditions will have no affect on that but will affect the speed when the ball reaches the opponent, which I think is around half of that, but isn't measured. So conditions change can't be determined from serve speeds.

You probably know that already but just for the benefit of others.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:10 pm

Henman still seems slightly bitter about the Ivanisevic rain delay!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:11 pm

Has Henman ever released an autobiography??

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:13 pm

superb shot, great talent

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:13 pm

WHAT A SHOT FROM MURRAY!!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:13 pm

murray cheering opponents error. maybe he thinks it's fair game with janowicz

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Has Henman ever released an autobiography??

not that I heard, I would buy it

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

He got to the penultimate chapter but didn't go any further.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Why on earth did Murray challenge that? Huge unmissable puff of chalk. Maybe make Jerzy wait and put him off?

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

not that I heard, I would buy it

Me too. Would be intrigued obviously what happened during that delay and also his experience coming through the ranks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Simon Reed for most irritating commentator.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

CMOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Harsh! Poor Tim Wink 

Now hold your serve Andrew!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

I wondered why I was behind everyone on the thread, I am 5 mins behind via Sky+ Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Laugh

haha, yeah, good one, poor Tim

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

Anyone else think Judy Murray has an uncanny resemblance to Michael Jackson when he was in that 'in-between stage' of being aw black man and a white woman??

Just me? Carry on then. That damn roofman!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

Lets face it the big test is on Sunday.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

Henman Bill wrote:murray cheering opponents error. maybe he thinks it's fair game with janowicz
Maybe, it's not like he ever does that is it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:murray cheering opponents error. maybe he thinks it's fair game with janowicz
Maybe, it's not like he ever does that is it?

Come on!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

Shock: JJ gets broken pretty quickly under the roof.

Last years excuse-makers: ITS NOT A MAGIC ROOF!

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

I predict that they will not hug and pat each other long time at the net like the first semi, something more frosty today methinks

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

Have to say it's actually turned into a disappointing match for all the hubris. Janowicz hasn't been at the races here for a well, think the long 2 weeks has taken its toll. He's too raw to progress any further, he had a good draw but against the top players he needs more than just a big serve and drop shot.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:23 pm

JJ let the demons in during set 3. Kept everything in check and the one chink changed the whole match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm

Lydian, did you see the first set?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:25 pm

I did, hence I said for a while in this match. He's unable to sustain that purple patch and unable to resist the pressure of a slam semi yet. Murray has upped his serve but Jerzy's level has dropped alarmingly. Who knows, maybe he can re-find some form...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:27 pm

Fair enough, by the way no guarantee that Janowicz is on the fast track to the top 10. So was Raonic and Tomic a while back. Have to be careful of bandwagoning.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:28 pm

I have got some clichés ready for this game. I'll start with "must win game". I also have "virtual match point" ready incase of need.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:28 pm

For me indoor conditions will always favour the more skilful player

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

Exactly HB, I haven't been trumpeting this guy at all, seems the beneficiary of a kind draw as much as anything else. The gaps in his game have been exposed tonight. Sure he's dangerous but he's too inconsistent to be a threat to the true top guys.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

Only nationalism can make people cheer so hard for a guy like Murray. People wouldn't even watch his matches if he were from Burkina Faso.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I have got  some clichés ready for this game. I'll start with "must win game". I also have "virtual match point" ready incase of need.

Now where have I heard that name before? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:30 pm

Murray winners 45 UEs 15. Pretty awesome.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

lydian wrote:Have to say it's actually turned into a disappointing match for all the hubris. Janowicz hasn't been at the races here for a well, think the long 2 weeks has taken its toll. He's too raw to progress any further, he had a good draw but against the top players he needs more than just a big serve and drop shot.

A bit unfair to Murray, who apart from a brain fade in the 3rd set as shown why he's World No.2.

JJ "hasn't been at the races" simply because Murray's nulified his serve

The problem with players who rely on their serve is that they have nowhere to go if it gets returned

But he's still in this, so let's see

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

speaking of short term bandwagoning there was a whiff of Nadal is the GOAT and will break the slam record after the FO, and now it's gone back to Nadal is finished again!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:32 pm

Great backhand from Murray, poor smash though.

EDIT: I mean poor smash from Janowicz, the one he hit that bounced up

Last edited by Henman Bill on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:32 pm

What a point!! (40-0 - Murray)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:33 pm

hahaha that was incredible from both players! But Murray gets the point!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

now it's 5-3 we won't get to see "virtual match point"! in use today

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next