The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Billy Smith.

+7
ShahenshahG
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
bhb001
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
Furysuppercut
hampo17
11 posters

Go down

Billy Smith. Empty Billy Smith.

Post by hampo17 Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

Sadly took his life yesterday at the age of just 35. He was a true journeyman and was due to have his 161st pro fight this weekend. Just noticed this article about him europsport.

Having covered the Midlands scene since 2004, I've seen him in engage in combat more times than I can remember off the top of my head and having spoken to him at ringside, on the phone and online over the past nine years, I naturally said I would.

In truth, I was looking forward to it; i'd been thinking about it for a while. But I didn't expect that i'd be here writing a tribute to him due to his death at just 35.

Although he put on a cheery and easy-going front - both in person & online - the reality was the Llanelli-based Worcestershire Ironman never got over the death of twin brother Ernie, who sadly took his own life in 2010 [at just 31] - and chose, tragically, to follow the same path.

He'll be sadly missed.

Trained and managed by Black Country fight figure Errol Johnson, there were plenty of highs for the self-styled 'Gypsy Boy' who, along with his brother, boxed in Kidderminster as an amateur and, like his twin, chose the journeyman option - which is often littered with lows [bad decisions, etc].

He turned professional in 2001 and suffered setbacks against high-calibre opposition like future Commonwealth boss Willie Limond [twice], Marcus Portman, Choi Tseveenpurev and future British champion Lee Meager.

After the 13th defeat on the spin, against another durable regular, Jason Nesbitt, Smith vanished from the scene for four years - before re-appearing with a customary points loss in March 2005.

Seven months later, however - and in his 26th paid outing that including one No Contest [when there was a bomb scare at the venue he was boxing at in Coventry] - that duck was finally broken with a six-round win against a fellow winless scrapper, John Davidson, in Wigan. He was on his way.

"I always knew I could get as many wins as i fancied and the reason I had such a bad start was because I didn't take it seriously and rarely did any training," he said to me in an interview for BBN years ago. "I just turned up on the night.

"The BBBofC [British Boxing Board of Control] were keeping checks on me and I am sure if I had kept on loosing then I could have been in real danger of losing my licence," he continued. "That would have devastated me."

More on-the-road, last-minute defeats followed before he ended the unbeaten ledger of former top-class junior amateur Michael Graydon - and then went on a run that saw him win five of six, including the scalp of then-unbeaten [in seven] Jonny 'Rocco' Hussey at Dudley Town Hall.

At the time of that career-best victory, I wrote that I thought Rocco deserved a share that night - and Billy came up to me at ringside a month later - after defeating another unbeaten welterweight, Brierley Hill's Martin Gordon - and gave me playful tap around the head [just like Ernie, who also engaged in 161 paid outings, had done a year before in similar circumstances].

His footwork had improved, he rolled under punches beautifully at times and the hard gym work was rewarded further when he picked up the vacant Midlands Area light-welterweight title in a ten-round classic with Baz Carey [who had beaten him twice before] in Carey's Coventry backyard.

Both had their moments in an evenly-matched battle that still stands out as one of the finest I've sen, but Billy showed a little something extra that night and had his hand raised, with the referee marking it 98-94 in his favour. But his new-found success would come at a [temporary] cost.

"Maybe winning wasn't the best thing to do,” he told me in the aftermath of a host of wins in 2006 and 2007.
"In fact, it [coming to win and getting the result] is costing me money and I am struggling to get fights nowadays as people know I will turn up and beat them."

He later regained the same title he never lost in the ring against Wolverhampton banger Carl Allen in September 2007 - and revealed to me that Allen had hit him harder than nearly any man he'd faced.
There were a smattering of wins after that, but he decided to play the role of the fall guy - turning up, giving prospects a good argument, before going down on points. He was rarely stopped [only eight men managed to; the last being Curtis Woodhouse in 2011] and always respected.

Smith's professional ledger concludes at an unflattering and misleading-looking 13-145-2. Always in good shape and bouncing on his toes, Smith  boxed for the final time less than three weeks and, typically, extended Robbie Barrett in Doncaster. He was living in Wales at the time of his untimely passing and leaves behind a wife and young son, who he adored.

Hope you find the peace that you were looking for, Billy.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Billy Smith. Empty Re: Billy Smith.

Post by Furysuppercut Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 am

Wow what a shame. Great article

Furysuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am

Interesting insight to the life of a journeyman pro, with obviously a very sad conclusion. RIP

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 am

Suicide is a terrible, selfish act and I have no time for people that do it........Loved-ones spend the rest of their lives feeling guilty that they should have done more and mourning their loss.....It's not like a loved one dying of an illness!!

Might as well dig four or five graves...

His twin brother dying tragically.......He owed it to him to live his life to the full...

RIP.............But a silly silly boy...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 am

I know you speak from personal loss truss, but in this case, would you not consider that billy is as much the victim of his brother's act?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

I remember a nice guy who found his Son hung in his bedroom..His Son was a good boy with a few problems......Never seen anyone change so much afterwards.......

Became an old Man overnight..

Times that by two for this family........

Sorry he felt the way he did...but it's just plain wrong..Billy has no problems......Others problems are just starting...

Every Parent's worse nightmare........Which is why I don't want my boy to go away to University..I want him here where I can look after him...

Unfortunately I'm in the minority on that one..

Tragic waste of life...Always options...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am

His brother also killed himself. Billy Smith is as such a victim here. A tragic loss and my sympathies go to the family.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 am

bhb001 wrote:His brother also killed himself.  Billy Smith is as such a victim here. A tragic loss and my sympathies go to the family.

Billy smith hasn't got a care in the World.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
bhb001 wrote:His brother also killed himself.  Billy Smith is as such a victim here. A tragic loss and my sympathies go to the family.

Billy smith hasn't got a care in the World.......

Classy

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Its a fair point from Truss- he's left behind a wife and son - If that isnt a reason to keep going on then I don't know what is. Tragic - but there are people who can help. RIP in any case - just a waste.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm

The problem is that in that position all reasonable thought goes out of the window. It's a difficult one as he has suffered from the experience of suicide from the other side too but people don't set out to hurt their loved ones. Depression can be an overwelming experience and when you are in an extreme spell of it it can feel like a suffocating effect. The pain you suffer can block any normal sense and reason. It's not an excuse but until you have suffered from extreme depression you can not comprehend how and why someone would make a decision to end their life.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 pm

I was on holiday when this happended and it slipped me by!

Can't believe both Ernie and Billy are now dead, both commiting sucide and both after each having 161 fights.

Boxing needs people like them, the amount of cards they must of save over the years, promotors and boxers alike will always be enternally grateful

RIP Ernie and Billy

I know its old news and all but P.S: Very tasteful Truss, you should be ashamed. Mental illness is a terrible thing and to be so blasé about it is poor form on your part.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri May 16, 2014 5:24 pm

The problem is when somebody does take their life,its the people who they leave behind who suffer,kids grow up without a father.
Anyhow RIP Fella sad news.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm

I was listening to a woman from one of the suicide charities on the radio during the week and she said that most suicides are impulse decisions and are not people being ill for a long time and then doing it. I was surprised to hear that. A big life event going wrong can trigger it on the spur of the moment she said.

I can't imagine that too many people who do it are thinking rationally.

RIP

Last edited by Strongback on Fri May 16, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri May 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Very true Nico......As the old saying goes..

It's better to have a horrible end...............Than horrors without an end..

Looks like the ones left behind get the latter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down