The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lomachenko and Uysk go Pro.

+3
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
6oldenbhoy
7 posters

Go down

Lomachenko and Uysk go Pro. Empty Lomachenko and Uysk go Pro.

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 22:24

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/179925-lomachenko-signs-with-top-rank

According to the article he wants to fight for the World title in his 2nd fight!.

At the bottom it also mentions Oleksandr Uysk is going pro as well. He was probably my favourite amateur. Great movement and skills for a Heavy. Defeated SuperHeavies for fun in the WSB even though he was only a 91Kg fighter himself.

This is bigger news than Joshua turning pro for me. These two have learned their craft and could really tear up the pro game.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Lomachenko and Uysk go Pro. Empty Re: Lomachenko and Uysk go Pro.

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 22:35

Think Lomachenko is one of the top 5 amateurs in history, myself. Papp, Stevenson, Savon, maybe Kindelan have his type of record over the long haul, but not many others. I hope he's half as good as a pro, because we could be in for a serious treat. Have seen comparatively little of Usyk, but he must add a touch of class to the heavies - good news all round, as far as I'm concerned.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 22:57

captain carrantuohil wrote:Have seen comparatively little of Usyk, but he must add a touch of class to the heavies - .

There are blokes in my local who become ten men after 12 pints of Smiths who would bring a bit of class to the heavies at the minute.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 22:59

I'd go (in no particular order) Papp, Stevenson, Rigondeaux, Savon and Lomachenko as a top five. Rigo is ahead of Lomachenko for me in terms of best amateurs of my lifetime, but there isn't a heck of a lot in it. Tried to do a Rowley-esque series of the greatest amateurs of all time, but the lack of information on Guys like Lagutin made it an impossible task.

Uysk is superb. Seen him first hand in the York Hall against Joe Joyce, who's no mug, and he just outclassed the heavier man. Also defeated Medzhidov, the World and Euro champion in the same competition. All these fights are on YouTube so I'll try and post some links tomorrow.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 23:09

It'll be interesting to see if he can get to the top as quickly as Rigo did. Is he fighting at lightweight? I've no doubt he makes short work of that division if he is fighting there especially with Broner moved up.

I watched a few of his fights at the last two Olympics and he has a more crowd pleasing style than Rigo. I'm looking forward to this. Can't in any way see him flopping.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 23:22

Rumour is he is going to be fighting WBO ranked #7 Featherweight, Jose Ramirez, in his first fight. Roman Martinez is WBO SFW champion, promoted by Top Rank and about as limited as World Champions come. I could see Lomachenko toppling him. He's scheduled for 10 rounders straight away.

Uysk will start as a cruiser. Probably for the best. Hope he moves to Heavy at some point soon.

Both are relocating to LA, so would be on any obscure Eastern European cards.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 27 Jul 2013 - 11:10

About bloody time! Lomachenko is a fantastic boxer and hes achieved everything an amature could hope for and more so this was the obviousy step. Love his punch variety, still remember a cork screw uppercut he threw in the olympics, just seemed to come out of nowhere, great speed and the other guy had no clue what to do!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 11:40

Nice to see our resident amateur boxing expert venturing back on the forum Wink

Great news re both these guys. Particularly keen to see Lomachenko, think 2 fight world titlist is a bit ambitious but can see something in the Rigo/Fenech type speed.

Interesting that he looks to be entering at FW (if opponent rumours are to be believed) as that is lighter than he's been competing at for Olympics/Worlds and, I think, WSB. Maybe hard training for 10 rounders has shaved a tiny bit of weight off him, it's a very hot division so cannot see him winning a quick title there - SFW and LW look more lucrative.

A Gamboa fight at LW could be amazing!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 15:08

He won his first Olympic title at FW and only stepped up to lightweight when that division was abolished. There is no Featherweight division in the WSB either. He won't have to maintain the weight over a prolonged period like in the Am's so Feather makes sense for him.

Featherweight isn't that strong a division, for me. Garcia will more than likely move up, John won't fight outside of Indonesia, Mares is Goldenboy and I know next to nothing on Gradovich. I think the WBO, Which Lomachenko is aiming for, is vacant so he has a relatively free run at it. Contenders wise there is Salido, Dib and not much else (Russell jr apart...). It is definately feasible that he could win one, but would need a very strong debut showing.

Usyk could win one in a relatively short period as well. Jones, Huck, Hernandez and that Polish fellow, who's name I can't spell, are hardly stellar opposition. Again, not much in the way of contenders either.

Cheers for the kind words, Tophat.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 15:57

Any excuse to shoehorn Gary Russell Jr in, eh 6oldenbhoy?? Wink

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 17:27

6oldenbhoy wrote:He won his first Olympic title at FW and only stepped up to lightweight when that division was abolished. There is no Featherweight division in the WSB either. He won't have to maintain the weight over a prolonged period like in the Am's so Feather makes sense for him.

Featherweight isn't that strong a division, for me. Garcia will more than likely move up, John won't fight outside of Indonesia, Mares is Goldenboy and I know next to nothing on Gradovich. I think the WBO, Which Lomachenko is aiming for, is vacant so he has a relatively free run at it. Contenders wise there is Salido, Dib and not much else (Russell jr apart...). It is definately feasible that he could win one, but would need a very strong debut showing.

Usyk could win one in a relatively short period as well. Jones, Huck, Hernandez and that Polish fellow, who's name I can't spell, are hardly stellar opposition. Again, not much in the way of contenders either.

Cheers for the kind words, Tophat.

I think Donaire will return at Featherweight and beat the snot out of all in his path, although I'm not sure he'll want to take on a top amateur again so Lomachenko might be safe.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down