The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

+12
hampo17
Rowley
Derbymanc
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Herman Jaeger
mobilemaster8
AlexHuckerby
jimdig
hazharrison
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? Empty Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

Picking a winner here has to be one of the biggest finger-in-the-air jobs in history and so it's perfect for a forum: Who wins and how?

Lomachenko is the 4-7 favourite.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? Empty Re: Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by jimdig Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:43 am

Yeah haz was thinking much the same and waiting on someone to post a thread on it. Gary Russell jr just never stepped up, blistering hand speed but how good is he? He probably has the fastest hands in the business, not so sure his footwork is on par. He really is the tomato can man. It seems a really odd move for him to go from fighting TBA after TBA to lomachenko, gary won't have the roughhouse tactics of salido. As for Lomachenko, he showed the limitations of amateur experience against salido, how will 12 rounds at pace suit him 3 fight in?

What struck me with the weigh in was how much height lomachenko has on Russell. I'm going to go with absolutely no confidence for a lomachenko KO inside 6, or Russell win by ud.

Basically either lomachenko will win or Russell will win or it'll be a draw. I'll be watching with interest though, I think it's an incredible bit of match making.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? Empty Re: Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:28 am

Yeah, Loma looks huge. I think he stops Russell. There must be a weakness there otherwise why move him so timidly?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:09 pm

I think Gary Russel Jr has looked absolutely incredible, but against subpar opposition, the man has plenty of tools to cause Loma problems and Loma still isn't particularly experienced in the pro's so it kind of is a slight pick 'em. I think that Loma is the favourite thinking realistically, but something tells me that Russel wins.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

Lomachenko takes it via Majority Decision in a good scrap.

I had him winning a bit more handily.

Seems to have learnt from the Salido fight. Fast hands and keeps them moving.

Nearly had russell out of there in the 12th as well.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:35 am

Lomachenko masterclass.

Max Kellerman had hinted last year that Russell rather Mikey Garcia might be the real star of the featherweight division. He could come again but not sure he's ever going to be a superstar. Lacks a bit of pop and looked like he can be hurt a bit too easily. Game though.

Wonder what Lomachenko will do now. Not sure how deep the featherweight division is and real interesting boxing match if he decided to move up against Garcia.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 9:19 am

Was that woman judge CJ Ross in disguise? 114-114 WTF???

I had it 117-111 Loma, though could see an argument for 116-112. But it was clear Loma was a class/level above and the undoubtable winner.

GRJr was very good mind, and showed he has great conditioning and whiskers, I'm sure few else in the division will deal with him so easily.

But, a bit like Rigo, Loma's footwork and defensive awareness are sensational, his movement is incredible and I've never seen GRJr miss with so many shots. Chuck in the fact he's more spiteful in attack and throws wonderfully varied shots and, hopefully, he won't end up like Rigo topping the 'who wants him' club struggling to draw any fan interest.

Wonder if there's a Donaire fight in the offing? Could be amazing! Plus there's a couple of decent Mexican fights in the division still. Loma doesn't strike me as the kind of guy the hang around though.....

Record in Amateur, WSB and pro: 404-2.  Shocked 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 23 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

Saw the fight on internet, and it' impossible to tell what shots were landing so maybe Lomachenko hits hard rather than Russell being easy to hurt, I just couldn't tell to be honest.

Seems most people want him to fight Rigo now, but I think I'd prefer Garcia if I could have my way. I bet Mikey beats him. He must be too big for Rigo surely.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

Can see why Rigo would be such a juicy match up, but I just don't see them coinciding.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm

Thought it was quite a dreary fight up until the later stages when Lomachenko found another gear and hurt Russell a couple of times. I had it 118-110. No idea how it only turned out to be a majority decision!

I think Russell not facing at least a couple of real gatekeepers of highly-ranked opponents before stepping in for a title fight has come back to bite him on the behind here. He looked as if he had absolutely no idea what to do or how to box when put on the back foot, maybe because he's not been in there with anyone who has made him do it for a prolonged period before. A few quick combinations but all in all he's going to have to show a lot more if he wants to back up all those expectations from when he turned professional. Chin seems A-OK, though.

Always have to be careful with Lomachenko because his performances are being judged in such unusual circumstances and context. Still looks a little to me as if he's not fully sure what kind of fighter he wants to be as a professional, and some of his defence still looked slightly amateurish in terms of not allowing himself a chance to counter because he just put all his emphasis on getting out of there, but that'll come with time. The Salido fight was reminder that no matter what you've done in the amateurs, the pros are a different kettle of fish and that'll still be evident in Lomachenko's case for a few fights yet, I reckon.

But he's getting there and if he carries on like that he's got a chance of being the finished article soon enough. Already you can see the improvements from the Salido fight in terms of his fighting on the inside or in close etc.

Apparently he says he'll fight anyone between 122 and 130 apart from Rigondeaux, as he thinks he just needs another couple of fights before being ready for that test. Think Arum would be happy to make it as he's already stated that Lomachenko will "beat the crap out of him (Rigondeaux)" and clearly sees Lomachenko as a future big-time star, so it'll be interesting to see if he fancies taking any risks with Lomachenko in the meantime. Although he's already very good, you'd think that any of the top Super-Bantams, Feathers or Super-Feathers could have a decent shout against him if they take the chance right now before he's even more settled as a pro.

There's always Donaire there at Featherweight. Might take a bit of convincing on Nonito's part, as he's seldom managed to look good against lefties and another loss right now would arguably end his run as a pound for pound operator - but Lomachenko's definitely not as defensively slick and responsible as Rigondeaux yet and is more likely to trade hooks, so I'm sure he could be talked in to it (and obviously, Donaire's record shows that he won't swerve a challenge if the fight fans are demanding it).
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:36 am

Wouldn't it be nice if AJ took a leaf out of Lomo's book and went straight to the money shot....Instead of slapping pitiful stiffs around..

Two pointless years beckon instead..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:38 am

Difference is AJ didnt have hundreds of amateur fights

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

Lomo's division is competitive

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:05 am

What's the rush in pushing AJ forward to fast???

We know how boxing works at the moment and god forbid you lose that 0, think he's coming along nicely at the moment but it's time to step his opposition up slightly. Would be nice to see him get the british and euro title and then go for one of the 20 or so other titles on offer.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:12 am

Truss the heavyweight division is competitive bar the obvious one exception AJ is coming along nicely

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:41 am

The reason is derby that it's pointless feeding him stiffs he isn't going to learn from....Why lose two years of precious speed and reflexes peeing around..

He's a kid should he lose he'll learn more like Nelson did against Sanchez..

Competitive Wheelchair ??..... Are you kiddin me ??

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

Unfortunately though Truss the way boxing goes at the moment, the minute someone lose's they're labelled overrated etc, he needs to brought along slowly and get some rounds under his belt. I think Skelton's a good step up for his next bout and should be a good yardstick. IF he does the same to him (Ko in 2 rounds or less) then I'd try and start getting him a british title fight.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:48 am

Skelton is old enough to be my Dad....

After all I've been 21 for the last 20 years.... Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? 3845856932 

Audley beat him...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if AJ took a leaf out of Lomo's book and went straight to the money shot....Instead of slapping pitiful stiffs around..

What, someone with amatuer silver, scraped to Olympic gold, with sub-50 fights under his belt should attempt to do the same as someone with double World gold, double Olympic gold and a 400 fight win record?????? Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

Get a couple more fights under his belt, incl Brit title, then chuck him in with Lucas Browne for the Commonwealth strap. That'd be a big challenge for someone with only about 10 fights under their belt.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:54 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if AJ took a leaf out of Lomo's book and went straight to the money shot....Instead of slapping pitiful stiffs around..

What, someone with amatuer silver, scraped to Olympic gold, with sub-50 fights under his belt should attempt to do the same as someone with double World gold, double Olympic gold and a 400 fight win record?????? Rolling Eyes

Yes..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Witherspoon had 12 fights when he fought the dominant Larry Holmes and beat him in most eyes including mine.......He had one name on his record Snipes and he'd drawn with SCOTT FRANK in his last fight......The rest were stiffs...

Last I looked Larry Holmes wasn't champion anymore.......

Witherspoon went on to win the world title twice.....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:12 pm

'Went on' to win the world title. Exactly.

Different era and no longer comparable.

'0's are two important these days and fighters are too quickly written off for losing. If Witherspoon were trying that now he'd just be another Arreloa. AJ wants to be a world champ in THIS era.

5-10 fights time I'm sure he could take the WBC off Stiv, or whoever still has it then (Wilder?), but he won't be ready for Kbot.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm

Why isn't it comparable........Page had an 0 when he fought for the title...........Dokes had 0 when he fought for the title.....Tubbs had 0 when he fought for the Heavy title.....Bruno......Cooney.......Tucker..............Holmes.........Spinks.........

You're right it is a different era.... Wink Wink Wink 

Give up now me old Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:21 pm

Because nothing he's done has shown he could fight for a world title right now.

He needs a few more fights before then.

Think you may be worried that the American Hope Deontay Wilder could be exposed as useless soon and want the same for our good up and coming fighters  Wink Wink Wink 

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:26 pm

Nothing Witherspoon had done showed he he could.....

1. Is AJ going to learn anything from stiffs in two years..No

2. Will he be wasting some of his best years..... yes...........

Not suggesting he fights Klit....Fight the other champ...........Sooner rather than later....

Like all this Hoppo was green crap against Jones.........I mean...Who does he fight to prepare for Jones ??..

So it's nonsense..

You have your skill set and style and you fight...........AJ could do with learning things like pacing himself but who is going to give him six hard rounds..?

He'll have to work on the niceties in the gym..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

Think I am partially with Truss on this one. Whilst I would not recommend AJ trying what Lomo has, as Lomo is clearly a special, special talent, you would like to think this would encourage them to take a few more chances. Believe AJ is fighting Sprott or Skelton next. It says it all about his opposition thus far that either of those names represents a step up.

Personally, if you look at the British top ten, is it really that outlandish to suggest chucking Anthony in with any of those guys? Would not make him a rank outsider against any of them, Fury and Chisora included, and if he wins something we can actually get excited about. Lose and so what, nobody other than the eternally stupid would write him off, and we really should not pander to such folk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm

Wasn't it just before his last fight that people were stating that he should be fighting a Sprott or Skelton next?

He's not expected to lose but it should get him a few rounds in with a proper step up after that. It would be nice to see more of the up and coming boxers fighting properly matched opposition but until fans stop seeing the 0 as this magical number I can't see it happening.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

I agree rowley..

Problem is as a hugely marketable heavy........

The Skelton's, sprott's are as good as it gets for this kid till it's title time in two years...

So my point is get to title time as early as possible....and you'll have two more years of prime at that level...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

How do any of us know that after the Sprott fight he's not going to fight for the British title?

I completely disagree with you Truss that he should be rushed forward, he does need to start stepping up his opposition though going from British to European and then onto world titles.

I'll give him the Sprott one as he's trying to get rounds under his belt which he'll more than likely need as he steps up (don't want him fading like Price)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

Fine to disagree Mate....Opinions is what it's all about..

So what if mine is better... Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:27 pm

It's nice to know some people can believe in themselves that much...........................even when they're wrong  Cool 

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm

Derbymanc wrote:It's nice to know some people can believe in themselves that much...........................even when they're wrong  Cool 

I've been married twenty years and I haven't done anything right...So I'm consistent.. Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 24 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

laughing clap 

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:26 pm

Rowley wrote:Think I am partially with Truss on this one. Whilst I would not recommend AJ trying what Lomo has, as Lomo is clearly a special, special talent, you would like to think this would encourage them to take a few more chances. Believe AJ is fighting Sprott or Skelton next. It says it all about his opposition thus far that either of those names represents a step up.

Personally, if you look at the British top ten, is it really that outlandish to suggest chucking Anthony in with any of those guys? Would not make him a rank outsider against any of them, Fury and Chisora included, and if he wins something we can actually get excited about. Lose and so what, nobody other than the eternally stupid would write him off, and we really should not pander to such folk.

Would happily put him in with any Brit, outside of Fury or Chis, in his next few fights, with either of those two straight after.

But Truss is making out like he should be calling out Wlad which is ridiculous.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

Really...I could of swore I wrote he should go after the other champ.....not Wlad.

According to you I rated Provo too.......

Consistent I'll give you that.. thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Nothing Witherspoon had done showed he he could.....

1. Is AJ going to learn anything from stiffs in two years..No

2. Will he be wasting some of his best years..... yes...........

Not suggesting he fights Klit....Fight the other champ...........Sooner rather than later....

Like all this Hoppo was green crap against Jones.........I mean...Who does he fight to prepare for Jones ??..

So it's nonsense..

You have your skill set and style and you fight...........AJ could do with learning things like pacing himself but who is going to give him six hard rounds..?

He'll have to work on the niceties in the gym..

An '0' means a million times more now than it ever has done before, you can largely thank your hero for that. Therefore it is two different eras that are not comparable.

Nobody cared if you lost your 0 in the 80s, now it's career over almost.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:29 pm

If you say so...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Really...I could of swore I wrote he should go after the other champ.....not Wlad.

Nope, think that was me that said Stiv.

And feel free to back out of your Provo promo'ing now since any arguments your boy Bradley is/was half as special as you tried to make out have now well and truly fallen away.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

"A poor man's chuvalo".....You think that's praise...Ha ha you probably do..

Mate I'm not interested in you...You know sack all about Boxing......

Let's just say you're right....... thumbsup

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"A poor man's chuvalo".....You think that's praise...Ha ha you probably do..

Mate I'm not interested in you...You know sack all about Boxing......

Let's just say you're right....... thumbsup

Wasn't the phase you were using pre-embarassment.

Speaking of which, for someone with your ego it is funny (for me) and embarassing (for you) that someone that apparently knows 'sack all' about boxing can expose you and undo your arguments so easily.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm

Like I said let's just say you're right... thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

Lennox Lewis took on Gary Mason, 35-0 (32) in his 15th outing (after 21 months as a pro). He knocked out Razor Ruddock 19 months later.

Joshua is only seven months and six fights in. As boring as it is to watch, Skelton's about right for him at this stage. There's really no rush with him as once Wladimir retires there's nothing.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

Exactly, well articulated, Haz.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

David Price dispatched Skelton before he capitulated to Tony Thompson twice. Skelton really had nothing to offer a HW prospect these days. The bruising bustling style just isn't there any more and we all know Joshua hits hard so all it'll show us is how much punch resistance Skelton has left at 47...wow!

Dunno is Sam Sexton is in any kind of form but I'd take him over Skelton or Sprott any day of the week. Wouldn't bother with stiffs like Tom Dallas or Richard Towers. If Joshua can't beat those guys, he's wasting our time. Jeez, even Tony Thompson would be an improvement on Skelton.

Wilder's fought 31 times and he's still getting slated. Do we really need another 25 non-competitive sh!itefests before Joshua is moved up in class?

Joshua isn't learning anything other than how f*cking tedious it's going to be for him being a pro. Yes, Eddie wants to protect his investment but people are going to get bored of seeing Joshua way waaaaay down the undercard every couple of weeks. If he's fighting that frequently you have to know his opposition is going to be no great shakes.

Eddie already stole my "Unfinished Business" tagline so I know he reads the forum. In which case Eddie, why not have Joshua stepped right up in class and call it" Time to get a f*cking move on"?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

Eddie is losing investments fast. It seems..

Think he was expecting Georgey to come into the fold..

Well articulated Haz........thumbsup . Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

Fighting Sexton doesn't do anything for Joshua, Price stopped him in four and I'd expect Joshua to stop him quicker.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

Skelton, Sexton, Dalls & Towers in quick succession. Then the loser of Chis-Fury for a shot at the winner, then Browne for the commonwealth.

Then TT & Kingpin.

Nothing wrong with that run.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm

hampo171 wrote:Fighting Sexton doesn't do anything for Joshua, Price stopped him in four and I'd expect Joshua to stop him quicker.

Well articulated Hampo !! Laugh 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next