The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says...

+18
laverfan
coolpixel
mthierry
kingraf
break_in_the_fifth
lags72
carrieg4
barrystar
CaledonianCraig
time please
HM Murdock
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
banbrotam
JuliusHMarx
Danny_1982
socal1976
TRuffin
22 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says... - Page 4 Empty Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says...

Post by TRuffin Wed 31 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I saw this girls pictures on twitter with Federer but here's the full story...

http://twitter.com/bktinoco

@federering well, I had cancer in 2011/2012, and there's this foundation called the Make A Wish Foundation. They grant wishes to kids, teens and yound adults who have life-threatening diseases. I made my wish in 2012, and my wish was to meet Roger Federer. I waited for more than a year, and I didn't really know if they were gonna be able to grant me this wish (you have second and third options) since Roger has such a busy schedule and it was taking such a long time. In June I was told that ESPN was doing a piece on high school tennis and they were gonna film a bit of my school tennis team. So I went there and we had practice and in the end they told us we had a culminating activity that would kinda test our knowledge of tennis. They gave us an iPad to watch something, and it was the Wimbledon 2012 match point (that already got me like really excited) but then after Roger falls to the ground they cut the video and Roger shows up in a kind of home made video or something, and he says "Hi Beatriz, I heard you're a big fan of mine, so I'm inviting you with your family to come watch me play at Wimbledon. Go pack your bags, have a safe trip, and I'll see you there!" (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I freaked out so so so badly. I couldn't believe it haha. All I could think was "OMG ROGER FEDERER KNOWS MY NAME!" Haha. So, yeah, this was on a Monday, and my flight to London was on that Thursday (I barely had any time to freak out) and I live in the US so... But yeah, then I found out ESPN was doing a piece on my wish and it's actually gonna air in August icon_smile.gif anyway, I got there and the very next day I met Roger! First I went to the nike house, where players get their gear and everything, and they actually gave me lots of stuff, all white since it was Wimbledon. Then we went to the All England Club where I was actually gonna meet him. We were waiting on the place where players eat and hang out. However, the guys from ESPN told me we might not see him that day because schedules change a lot. So I wasn't expecting anythint, just sitting watching some practices and someone calls my name. I turn and it's FREAKING ROGER FEDERER. He comes up, gives me a hug and a kiss and then sits down and starts talking to me very naturally. I was trying hard not to freak out haha. We talked for about 10-15 minutes (which I was told later he wasn't supposed to do. He was just supposed to come and say hi and then go to practice but he's a perfect human being and talked to me for a while!) oh my gosh this is getting very long haha I'm working so I have to stop now but I'll continue the story in about half an hour

@federering after that he went to practice, but he told me to go change, because I was gonna watch his practice from inside the court and maybe we could hit a little bit after he was done. He told me that he would send someone to take me to the court because like no one is allowed in the courts except the players and coaches. So I changed and went there, and I was waiting for someone to come take me to the actual court when I hear someone call my name and oh my god it's Paul Annacone. He sent PAUL ANNACONE to get me. So I go to the court and am introduced to Sev and Steph, and then sit there watching his practice with Hewitt (!!!!). After his practice he tells me we're gonna hit for a while and Sev says "but she doesn't have a racquet" and Roger is like "she can use one of mine" (!!!!!!!) so he reaches into his bag and gives me one of his racquets to hit with (!!!!!!). I was really scared because I'm not like amazing at tennis, I'm pretty good, but not out of the ordinary, and even if I was, it was freaking Roger Federer. But Paul and Roger told me not to be scared, it was so cute haha. So we hit for a bit, then he told me to come up and volley and he went up too. Paul told me not to be scared of Roger in the net 'cause it was all pressure, he wasn't even that good haha. Then he served and oh my gosh it's fast even though he wasn't even close to full speed. After that he went over the net, shook my hand and gave me a kiss on the cheek (!!!!!!). Then we walked (and talked) together to the other court where he was going to practice more with Hewitt. I watched this second practice and then after they were done Roger came up to me and said "well that's my day" and we talked for a bit more, and then he said "I'll see you on Sunday" (this was a Friday) and I freaked out because oh my gosh I was gonna see him again!!! So yeah that was it for this day. On Sunday the guys from ESPN told me I was gonna take a tour of the grounds, even though I had already taken one when I went to London for vacation. The more time at Wimbledon the better haha. But then when I'm waiting to take the tour I find out that the people who are giving me the tour are the Chairman of Wimbledon (!!!!!!) and Roger (!!!!!!!). Like, OH MY GOD. So yeah, they took me around, and to the walk the players take to get to Centre Court, and then to actual Centre Court, with everything being explained to me by Roger and the Chairman. After we got to Centre Court Roger had to leave earlier than us because he had his press conference (which I was going to), so he left us there to see a bit more of Centre Court. AND on his way out he talked to the main guy that gets Centre Court ready, to let me actually go there. Like, I stepped on the grass on Centre Court because of Roger. He's perfect oh my god. And then we took a while there so his manager called the girl from ESPN to ask her if we were going because Roger was waiting for me to start the press conference (!!!!!!!!!!). OMG HE IS PERFECT. So we went to the press conference and saw everything, and then on my wait out I passed Roger and he was like "So did you like it? Me getting grilled by the press?" He's always so dorky and funny haha. And then the people from ESPN took us to the players lounge because Roger was gonna sign some stuff for me after he had done all of his interviews (a lot of them) and gotten a award (you know, just usual stuff). I was sitting there waiting for him and it was amazing because I saw soooo many other players. Tsonga asked to get one of the chairs in our table actually haha. I saw Murray, Nadal, Haas, Ferrer, Benneteau, Tipsarevic, Serena, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Lisicki, like, so many of them from up close. It was like heaven for a tennis fan haha. But then Roger finished his interviews and sat at out table with us. I had so many things for him to sign but I knew he was busy so I just took 4 pictures (one for each one in my family) and then 4 blank papers and my tennis bag, and gave for him to sign. He actually addressed the blank papers to each one of us, it was so perfect. In mine he wrote a bit more, and even a happy birthday!! (Did I mention it was my 18th birthday??) And then he asked me "is that it?" and I said "yes" and he was like "are you sure? Don't be embarrassed about it." He's so amazing and kind. So I gave him the rest of the stuff to sign. And he was just sitting there signing and chatting with me, but his manager was telling the guys from ESPN that he needed to go eat lunch, and Roger probably knew he had to, but he would have stayed there the whole day, just talking to us. He stayed a lot more than he had to for sure. But then the people from ESPN tried kinda finishing things up so that he could leave before his manager freaked out. So he went around the table hugging my mom, my dad and my sister, and then it was my turn. He told me I had been through a lot and hugged me really hard and I just started crying so so so much in his shoulder (it was around that time that the picture from my avi was taken haha) He was like "awnn". Then when I let go of him I was still like sobbing and I turned to him and he was kinda tearing up :') I thanked him and then he went.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says... - Page 4 Empty Re: Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says...

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:30 pm

People can say whatever they want falzy. I haven't deleted or edited any posts on this thread.
But I'm also allowed my opinion, and my opinion is that it's kind of sad that people can't just say "Nice story, well done Fed", they feel the need to say "Well, yes he did that, but..."

The first 5 posters to respond to the thread were:
falzy - criticism of Fed
socal - praise for Fed, and criticism of Fed, the press and Fed fans
danny - congratulates Fed
Me - made a joke
banbrotam - criticism of Fed and Fed fans

Obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with such criticism, it might even be accurate - it's just interesting and kind of sad how easily the criticism comes even on a thread which ought very simply to celebrate someone doing something nice. In today's world, especially on the internet, simply celebrating a person doing something nice (Fed, or anyone) is not the done thing - people have to bring something negative to it. It's a sign of the cynical and negative world we live in.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says... - Page 4 Empty Re: Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says...

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

Well Im sorry you feel that way... I wes just trying to be reassuring to Truffin.

Bear in mind Julius forget the HUGE story, look at the title, it makes NO mention of a nice story, just about Novaks dad and what he said about Fed, don't be surprised it caused people to continue the old thread. Im sorry you think im "sad" for that.

Delete my first post... im f**king done with this s***

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

The title of the article is "Federer all class no matter what Djoko's father says..." I agree! But the title indicated that there was a challenge to the statement that Federer was "classy" and that's what I responded too. Why would some have such negative things to say about him? There are reasons especially if you look from where the criticism comes from.

This is all part of Federer (and Nadal's) legacy. Players now have to compete with them not just with their forehands but by attempting to be as "nice" as them if not nicer. Of course the twist is some just attempt to prove Federer isn't nice at all therefore player X is definitely nicer...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 06 Aug 2013, 2:52 pm

A fascinating read, TRuffin. It's a wonderful thing to have a career that both pays the bills and enriches your experiences. Sounds like you hit the target.

Thank you for this, and for the 1st hand insight into the character of, amongst others, Federer. I'm pleased to see my remote judgement that he is an exceptionally decent man wasn't in this case misplaced.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:05 pm

time please wrote: .........................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................

Absolutely applaud everyone who gives their time and support in any way, whether it is in a professional capacity, or as a 'celebrity' bringing a lot of pleasure to someone who is much in need of a boost, to friends and relatives who are the mainstay of support.  It costs very little to give a bit of ourselves, yet we are often too busy or distracted by other things.

Well done to all those busy people who give back.

OK clap

and away from the heady world of high-earning celebrities, the folk who perhaps warrant most recognition are the many unsung givers & helpers who might themselves have little in the way of material assets, but who willingly support others in need.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:12 pm

Quite true lags, though I do find something uplifting when someone who by their very career choice has to be competitive and arguably selfish can be this way. It's like the job selects for precisely the opposite characteristics that they then exhibit.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:29 pm

TRuffin may have regaled us with his stories of working with Ali and meeting Federer but he's not the only one with close experience of a sporting great.

I once stood at a urinal next to Steve Davis.

Sadly I didn't take the opportunity to ask him about his charitable work.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

HMM, I sincerely hope you didn't ask him to sign anything either.....

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

hawkeye wrote:Players now have to compete with them not just with their forehands but by attempting to be as "nice" as them if not nicer.
I see what you mean, but each player just needs to do what feels right for them - I don't feel that they should feel pressure to "compete" with Federer in this area.

The other odd thing is that much as I admire Federer for his efforts in this area, that doesn't translate into wanting him to win matches. I enjoy watching him play, I'd probably even vote for him in all these "fan favourite" polls but there are other players I'd much rather see win the big tournaments.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:23 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:TRuffin may have regaled us with his stories of working with Ali and meeting Federer but he's not the only one with close experience of a sporting great.

Did you chalk his 'cue'?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:TRuffin may have regaled us with his stories of working with Ali and meeting Federer but he's not the only one with close experience of a sporting great.

Did you chalk his 'cue'?
I didn't want to touch the tip while the ball was in-hand.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Did you chalk his 'cue'?

Just as long as you didn't pocket his pink.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Thanks for the comments guys and interest in my past. It is an interesting world for sure.

My title to the thread was meant as a joke... sorry if it sent the thread into a different direction than it should.... but I also think some people will look for anything that they can seize on to go negative... Either way- glad I could get some positive stuff out there.

For those interested, I believe this girls ESPN feature is scheduled for some time in late August. I'll find out the exact date time.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Did you chalk his 'cue'?

Just as long as you didn't pocket his pink.

I'd think a yellow foul after trying to force a tricky brown with too much screw would be messier.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

boys! Rolling Eyes Wink 

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:35 pm

YvonneT wrote:First off, I think it's a bit unfair to imply that anyone who posted the slightest negative thing about Fed on this thread is a jerk - the title of the thread certainly made me think it would be valid to debate whether this story meant Djokovic's father was wrong in his comments - and of course, the story in the OP is only one piece of evidence in that debate and there will be other evidence to backup his comments.

Overall, I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with TRuffin that Fed does an awful lot. It is interesting the focus for him between training, competing and all this philanthropic work. Must be very hard for him to get a balance that he's happy with right now.

A little off topic, but the child of a friend of mine was recently in hospital being treated for cancer (thankfully, she is recovering well now). They had quite a few "celeb" visitors including many footballers, comedians etc. Professional footballers got a bit of a bad press last year around the olympics (lots of comments on how olympic athletes were heroes while footballers were just overpaid primadonnas), however my friend's experience was that more or less every single one of these visitors genuinely spent time with the kids in that hospital and their families to cheer them up and did so with no publicity. Given that these are just young guys with a particular skill, it impressed me how well they deal with all this. Obviously, this is not of the Fed scale of demands on their time (nowhere near!), but nevertheless I thought it worth mentioning that we are often willing to judge people without really knowing what they give in life.

Great post, glad your friend's child is doing better. That is the point of my critique here. The other players do their part as well, we could spend all day and night doing these articles and great they are positive and feel nice but it seems to me odd that Federer gets about 10 to 1 of these threads as if he is the only one. If he does a lot more lets remember he makes the lion's share of money in the game. He is not required to so good on him for doing it and he does as Ruffin says go the extra mile for charity. But nobody here is talking about this aspect in a negative light, it is uncontested. You can be a great guy and do a lot for charity while being a sore loser in tennis. These two things are not mutually exclusive and nobody is saying that a bad interview outweighs or undoes his charitable accomplishment.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:38 pm

Lags and TP, I don't know what to say because well I just disagree with your points. These threads about Federer are getting repetitive and out number other threads by Murray, Nadal, and Djoko fans exponentially. I guess I should have just let everyone congratulate Federer on his splendiferous magnificence and let this thread die after a few posts.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm

Let's give that a try.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:41 pm

TRuffin wrote:Thanks for the comments guys and interest in my past.  It is an interesting world for sure.

My title to the thread was meant as a joke... sorry if it sent the thread into a different direction than it should.... but I also think some people will look for anything that they can seize on to go negative...   Either way- glad I could get some positive stuff out there.

For those interested, I believe this girls ESPN feature is scheduled for some time in late August. I'll find out the exact date time.
That would be great, it'd be interesting, though they'll need to edit sone of the "OMG he is just perfect"s out, just for time. Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm

bogbrush wrote:
TRuffin wrote:Thanks for the comments guys and interest in my past.  It is an interesting world for sure.

My title to the thread was meant as a joke... sorry if it sent the thread into a different direction than it should.... but I also think some people will look for anything that they can seize on to go negative...   Either way- glad I could get some positive stuff out there.

That would be great, it'd be interesting, though they'll need to edit sone of the "OMG he is just perfect"s out, just for time. Wink

lol... yeah for sure, but I thought her vernacular kind of sweet-- she's just a kid and clearly "in love" lol. Whatever helps her find some joy.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:41 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lags and TP, I don't know what to say because well I just disagree with your points. These threads about Federer are getting repetitive and out number other threads by Murray, Nadal, and Djoko fans exponentially. I guess I should have just let everyone congratulate Federer on his splendiferous magnificence and let this thread die after a few posts.

I don't really get your beef socal - surely even if there are ten positive threads about Fed a day that doesn't preclude there being 10 positive ones about Djokovic and 10 positive ones about Murray and Uncle Tom Cobley and all?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

True TRuffin, I've got a 17 year old daughter. Hardly a sentence goes by without OMG, gross, amazing, or a number of other stock phrases. Yeah, sweet it is. Poor kid to go through that illness.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:48 am

HM Murdoch wrote:A great testament to Fed is how he redefined World #1 to be such an ambassadorial role. It no longer simply means you are the most successful player. It is now viewed as a representative of that sport.

Did we see the greats of yesteryear acting in such a way? Even going back just one 'generation', I don't recall Sampras and Agassi doing that much, let alone going further back through Lendl, McEnroe, Edberg etc.

And yet, subsequent to Federer, both Nadal and Djokovic have followed his standard. Both are active in charity work and both see the #1 spot as a responsibility.

I think this is a very significant part of Roger's legacy.

+1 Hug clap 

This is why Tennis will be remembered as a great sport in the future.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:47 am

time please wrote:even if there are ten positive threads about Fed a day that doesn't preclude there being 10 positive ones about Murray and Uncle Tom Cobley
Has Andy entered the doubles with Uncle Tom Cobley then?

That's a surprise. I thought he might have chosen Joe Public.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:47 am

socal1976 wrote:Lags and TP, I don't know what to say because well I just disagree with your points. These threads about Federer are getting repetitive and out number other threads by Murray, Nadal, and Djoko fans exponentially. I guess I should have just let everyone congratulate Federer on his splendiferous magnificence and let this thread die after a few posts.

socal, your grievance with this thread does appear to be based on a rather odd standpoint.

For me, your unease is tantamount to saying :

"whenever there is a match involving that chap Federer, I have noticed that the stadium always has a lot more spectators than for matches involving Murray, Nadal and Djoko. And I really don't like this, it's annoying and getting very repetitive"

If that were the case (and I do not claim it is, given that ALL those names draw very big crowds, as we know) then I would have thought the more pragmatic solution would be to encourage fans of Murray, Nadal and Djoko to turn out in greater numbers - as opposed to beseeching supporters of Federer to please stop buying tickets to watch him play.

On a wider point, you can relax in the knowledge that your man Djoko is a very worthy World Number One, he currently sits at the summit of the sport whilst gaining in popularity around the world. By contrast, 606v2 is just a little forum for friendly (mostly Wink ) tennis chat, and by its very nature will tend to reflect the views and interests of its overall membership ; in which case I wouldn't think it's worth stressing about how many threads happen to be created about one player or another, surely....... I mean, eventually it all comes out in the wash to coin an old phrase. (Personally, FWIW, I would like to see more threads about some of the lesser players lower down the rankings. I don't really beef about it, simply because I know that it is within my gift to start some of my own but am invariably occupied with other things).    

Plus, as you say yourself socal, if a thread is of no significance then it will die anyway "after a few posts" - although I'm not sure that this particular thread was ever headed for an early death, with close to 3000 views, over 170 posts ...... and counting ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 8:49 am

My teenage daughter too BB, that and 'like' as a random (omg it's catching!) sprinkling in a sentence as in 'she was like omg where did you get that skirt, it's like so cool and I'm like oh from Abercrombie(/Top Shop etc) but they've sold out and she's like noooooooooo'!!!!  I don't always successfully bite my tongue! Cool

that is what, as you say, is so very sweet about the article that the authentic teenage voice of Beatriz shines through.  It is lovely to hear the excitement and happiness  in that voice despite the ordeal she has been through.

It really makes you stop and check all the things that are really important at the end of the day and just thank God our children are healthy.

lol Murdoch - I'm not one to spread rumours.......but.......Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:04 am

PS Great post lags!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

time please wrote:

I don't really get your beef socal - surely even if there are ten positive threads about Fed a day that doesn't preclude there being 10 positive ones about Djokovic and 10 positive ones about Murray and Uncle Tom Cobley and all?

Of course! But whatever you do make sure you don't write a single positive thread about Nadal. I remember the hissy fits of certain posters when I pointed out an achievement by Nadal that was receiving attention elsewhere.

https://www.606v2.com/t45296-nadal-sets-new-slam-winning-streak

I was "like OMG me a rafilito fangirl?" Ha ha!

No one suggested TRuffin be sent to the teen fangirl section of 606v2. Should they be upset or pleased?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

lol HE - you are like so hard done by!  I just feel like so bad for you Wink 

I think the thread you highlight is by nature going to ask posters to compare and evaluate slam records.

It is lazy to dismiss anyone as a .....fan and (lol at JHM: 'the correct term is Fed-worshipper I believe 'and lydian's response: 'lol JHM it's good to get the nomenclature of fawning correct' Laugh )

Perhaps you might have been treated with a little more respect from some quarters if your raison d'etre was not to bleat negatively about all things Murray.  I'm afraid it's not your criticism of him but the fact that it is frequent and is never balanced with a positive that means you will be a sitting duck for everyone if you are the one that opens a 'fan' thread about Rafa.  In other words, of course people will have negatives and positives to say about all players, but I think they might be enjoying having a pop at you rather than the No 3...(or is it 4 atm, can't remember if Ferrer leapfrogged for a bit!).

No-one has suggested that anyone should not post negative as well as positive comments - it just seems a little 'off' to do it on a thread like this.  After all, I think you, in the absence of being able to say anything nice about Murray, kept away from the Murray donation thread at first (though many posters were more preoccupied with what your response would be than anything else) until you could praise Kyle Edmund.....and I'll gloss over the rest, shall I?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 10:56 am

hawkeye wrote:

...........................................................................................................................................................

........... But whatever you do make sure you don't write a single positive thread about Nadal.  

.......................................................................................................................

I can only imagine, hawkeye, that you proffer this advice on the back of your own extensive experience of meticulously adhering to the very same policy in relation to the multi-Slam winner World Number 2, Andy Murray.

ps : well-made points tp OK

Last edited by lags72 on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:10 am

hawkeye wrote:
time please wrote:

Of course! But whatever you do make sure you don't write a single positive thread about Nadal. I remember the hissy fits of certain posters when I pointed out an achievement by Nadal that was receiving attention elsewhere.

No one suggested TRuffin be sent to the teen fangirl section of 606v2. Should they be upset or pleased?

Well here is a rarity...I agree with what you say hawkeye.

Your post about Rafael Nadal setting a new slam winning record was spot on in that it is indeed a record to be mighty proud of and worthy of a thread which is fair enough. However, as you say that thread saw you labelled 'fangirl' etc for it. Now here we have a thread lauding Federer and if anyone dare to try to make an alternative comment other than out and out praise then they are shouted down. Seems like double standards to me.

Well well this post needs bookmarking - me defending a hawkeye stance on 606v2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:22 am

We will have to agree to disagree, a matter of taste, maybe?

I do some voluntary cleaning of parents' rooms at a local childrens' hospice a couple of times a month, and I have time to do more but I guess I'm too preoccupied with me.  I do know that it is emotionally draining as well as time consuming, but I have also seen, like Yvonne, how much the smallest amount of support can mean to people going through hell,  and I think we should just applaud gestures from young men who can find quite a lot of time in their tightly packed competition schedules to just do something that was wonderful for someone. I guess this thread has also struck a chord with me because I have a teenage daughter, one that is, thank God, healthy and happy.

Fed's sportmanship, or lack thereof, has and will be, and can be debated on other threads.  I just don't think this gesture needs a caveat and sometimes it is graceful to say well played that man clap .  I loathe Murray's screaming at his box, but I would never have thought it appropriate or, more importantly, relevant to criticise him in this regard while commenting on his amazing gesture at not only organising rally for cancer at Queen's but also for the wonderful generosity of his donation of his winnings.  That action like Fed's needs no caveats or apologies imvho.

But it's a free country and I'm arguing in circles now - I'll leave you the floor, and the last word.

Last edited by time please on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:52 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : lost one post somehow, and it was replaced with my second response. amalgamated, as much as can remember, into 1)

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

Perhaps the OP should not have factored in 'no matter what Djoko's father says' then as it kind of intimates that what he says is not true plus all class is a bit of a falsehood as has been pointed out before.

My point is that the loosely titled thread leaves it open to debate. The thread would have been better being called something like 'Federer shows his classy side'.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:48 am

@Falzy21... rose

I feel Crying or Very sad that you stepped away from this thread - a good showcase for debate/discussion/acrimony/acerbic wit/caustic humour/apathy and the rest of human vices.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:54 am

It's all on V2 LF! Very Happy 

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:07 pm

Shall we say Murray is all class?

http://www.dosomething.org/blog/celebsgonegood/andy-murray-makes-a-wimbledon-wish

And Novak?

http://novakdjokovic.com/en/foundation/

And Rafael Nadal?

http://tennisdailynews.net/rafael-nadal-charity-foundation-tennis-star-working-with-children/

Apologies TRuffin but it saves starting up three more threads.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm

Okay I lied, I'm not going to let your last be the last word, maybe the next post! Wink 

I would think that all three would make very interesting and compelling threads and there is nothing stopping anyone from doing so.

I think you are defending a position by labouring the semantics of the title.  If you read the opening post it is not ambiguous in the slightest. But, if that is what you take from the thread, then so be it.

As to how you should title threads about players' charitable works - we all have different styles, but I think including the words....Murray/Rafa/Novak shows his class would be entirely appropriate and I personally wouldn't feel the need to list moments when they hadn't on a thread concerned with the charitable giving.

In fact, I am off to edit the Murray Queen's Donation thread title right now.....Run

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm

Surely, though titles are important and meaningful. In this case it indicates Federer is ALL class and disregard what Djoko's father says. That being the case (no matter what the topic goes on to be about) it is leaving the door open to the all class and disregarding of Djoko's father does it not? Now people will disagree on the all class part as they have and people will see where Djoko's father is coming from so those will voice their opinion as it is a public forum.

Look at hawkeye's thread she referred to and it is titled plainly 'Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak' - no falsehoods or room for argument but it still fell into chaos.

My earlier point which I was called small and mean-minded for was no more than the truth. Each player does great things outside their parameters that they don't need to and each has their failings. Very gracious of Roger in the OP's post and I never once said it wasn't and nor did I get nasty and label the poster a Fed fanboy as myself and other posters have if they post a sentimental thread over Andy Murray or another player. I wonder why that is?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

I think perhaps we should disregard what Djokovic's father said. Novak himself said this week ' I love my father. He does not get those ideas from me. I cannot be held responsible for what he says'

He is not the first tennis parent to embarrass their child, and he won't be the last.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:45 pm

Parents will always embarrass their kids no doubt. However, remember we know Novak's toughness - he can deal with pretty much anything and it wasn't him being told to be quiet - knowing Novak he'd be in the zone mentally anyway. The father was the one offended so he is the one who will feel strongest hence what he said. Personally, I think it is all a storm in a teacup but again I wasn't the one told to be quiet.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Shall we say Murray is all class?

http://www.dosomething.org/blog/celebsgonegood/andy-murray-makes-a-wimbledon-wish
Craig, that's a great story... but since when is Andy a "court cutie"?!

Wait a minute... did you write that article?Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed 07 Aug 2013, 5:44 pm

It looks like the girl will have short feature on Sportcenter ESPN on Aug 21 called "My Wish" for anyone who wants to check it out.

Some other nice news-- apparently Federer has kept in touch with the girl through text and twitter- "checking in with her"  Obviously, she's even more in love.....lol-- but again great stuff from Fed.

On a sadder or really pathetic note:   1st- I'll give guys credit on here that are negative towards Federer that at least you do some with some class and stick to the sports side of it....     Apparently, once the story was out and several forums have had her twitter story of the meeting posted-   "fans" and I use that term very loosely of certain players have been harassing her on twitter and posting nasty things on forums.  Things like "Federer only liked you because your fat like Mirka" etc.......    What kind of world to we live in? Every time my faith in humanity is taken a step forward, I see behavior that brings it two steps back..  To pick on a kid with cancer because she met a tennis player you don't like, to sign up to her twitter and directly post stupid messages to her trying to drag her into a stupid Nadal/Federer war or whoever war is just....... disgusting.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 07 Aug 2013, 6:03 pm

Sorry to hear that has happened TRuffin. It is pathetic and sums up the dangers of the internet really.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 6:14 pm

hawkeye wrote:
time please wrote:

Well I have to agree with dear Hawkeye here, if you do a positive article about Nadal certain segments can't resist to criticize it as a fluff piece and to give a negative reaction, I have seen it a hundred times. Thoroughly agree, hawkeye has pointed out a very valid hypocrisy that is quite blatant in regards to overly glowing posts about other stars. Federer fans feel free to rain on others parade's just don't like their parade rained on.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

TRuffin wrote:It looks like the girl will have short feature on Sportcenter ESPN on Aug 21 called "My Wish" for anyone who wants to check it out.

Some other nice news-- apparently Federer has kept in touch with the girl through text and twitter- "checking in with her"  Obviously, she's even more in love.....lol-- but again great stuff from Fed.

On a sadder or really pathetic note:   1st- I'll give guys credit on here that are negative towards Federer that at least you do some with some class and stick to the sports side of it....     Apparently, once the story was out and several forums have had her twitter story of the meeting posted-   "fans" and I use that term very loosely of certain players have been harassing her on twitter and posting nasty things on forums.  Things like "Federer only liked you because your fat like Mirka" etc.......    What kind of world to we live in? Every time my faith in humanity is taken a step forward, I see behavior that brings it two steps back..  To pick on a kid with cancer because she met a tennis player you don't like, to sign up to her twitter and directly post stupid messages to her trying to drag her into a stupid Nadal/Federer war or whoever war is just....... disgusting.

Whoever did that is really sick. Terrible behavior on these people getting after this poor girl.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 6:16 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Parents will always embarrass their kids no doubt. However, remember we know Novak's toughness - he can deal with pretty much anything and it wasn't him being told to be quiet - knowing Novak he'd be in the zone mentally anyway. The father was the one offended so he is the one who will feel strongest hence what he said. Personally, I think it is all a storm in a teacup but again I wasn't the one told to be quiet.

Or had the goat call your 18 year old son a joke to the world wide media and suggest that he faked injuries in order to kind of cheat.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:39 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
time please wrote:

Well here is a rarity...I agree with what you say hawkeye.

Your post about Rafael Nadal setting a new slam winning record was spot on in that it is indeed a record to be mighty proud of and worthy of a thread which is fair enough. However, as you say that thread saw you labelled 'fangirl' etc for it. Now here we have a thread lauding Federer and if anyone dare to try to make an alternative comment other than out and out praise then they are shouted down. Seems like double standards to me.

Well well this post needs bookmarking - me defending a hawkeye stance on 606v2.  

There is a big difference between both threads, one talking about a player's achievement and other talking about player's noble cause, a player could be worthless as a player but still be great as a human being and that part have to be appreciated more.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:40 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Perhaps the OP should not have factored in 'no matter what Djoko's father says' then as it kind of intimates that what he says is not true plus all class is a bit of a falsehood as has been pointed out before.

My point is that the loosely titled thread leaves it open to debate. The thread would have been better being called something like 'Federer shows his classy side'.

Agreed. thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:41 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Shall we say Murray is all class?

And Novak?

http://novakdjokovic.com/en/foundation/

And Rafael Nadal?

http://tennisdailynews.net/rafael-nadal-charity-foundation-tennis-star-working-with-children/

Apologies TRuffin but it saves starting up three more threads.

Nothing wrong in sharing a great story, there are great storied behind each of the player you mentioned, go find them and post them, it will be lauded, If I am u I would invest my time in that rather than criticizing the op and the player here.thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:45 am

socal1976 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Parents will always embarrass their kids no doubt. However, remember we know Novak's toughness - he can deal with pretty much anything and it wasn't him being told to be quiet - knowing Novak he'd be in the zone mentally anyway. The father was the one offended so he is the one who will feel strongest hence what he said. Personally, I think it is all a storm in a teacup but again I wasn't the one told to be quiet.

Or had the goat call your 18 year old son a joke to the world wide media and suggest that he faked injuries in order to kind of cheat.

As usual you are sprouting rubbish, can you say me an instance where the GOAT called an 18 year old as a cheat? picard 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next