The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT Vision

+32
nth
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
munkian
Exiledinborders
asoreleftshoulder
iantobquick
Big
ScarletSpiderman
lostinwales
Irish Londoner
Sam
RDW
rosbif
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
andyi
Jenifer McLadyboy
Scrumdown
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
nathan
Cyril
XR
maestegmafia
tecphobe
Scrumpy
Effervescing Elephant
wrfc1980
Ozzy3213
HammerofThunor
Luckless Pedestrian
Portnoy's Complaint
36 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BT Vision - Page 2 Empty BT Vision

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 01 Aug 2013, 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Have you switched yet?
What have been your experiences?

I want to know if it'll be worthwhile - I'm out in the sticks and currently on Virgin which has for us been [ed very good excellent] so persuading Portnoyova to agree will be difficult. So I need to produce a convincing business plan.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

BT Vision - Page 2 Empty Re: BT Vision

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:04 am

And when will BTV be instructed by [ed] Oftel Ofcom to make their Sport channels available to Virgin customers?

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:53 am

nathan wrote:I'm just happy for more competition in the pay tv market. Sky have been making a killing from everyone and hopefully this will start to bring prices down.
The only problem with competition (usually a good thing) is when games get spread across several providers, meaning that if you want all games you end up having to subscribe to several companies.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:19 pm

Cyril wrote:
nathan wrote:I'm just happy for more competition in the pay tv market. Sky have been making a killing from everyone and hopefully this will start to bring prices down.
The only problem with competition (usually a good thing) is when games get spread across several providers, meaning that if you want all games you end up having to subscribe to several companies.

The consumer should have the choice to elect his/her broadband supplier and to elect for his/her channel/ap mix.
It will be interesting to see how British Tebbitcom's venture into sports broadcasting pans out.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm

How much do the clubs in the Jeff get each from BT sponsorship ?

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm

The prospect of live Premiership rugby games being aired on free-to-air TV appears to have been kicked into touch after it emerged that BT has been unable to agree a deal with broadcasters.

ITV has signed up highlights of the forthcoming rugby Premiership season, but the broadcaster's potential plan to air some games live has waned.

After BT signed the deal, Peter Tom, the chairman of Leicester Tigers rugby club, had said the contract could see some games broadcast live on terrestrial television.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:52 pm

rosbif wrote:How much do the clubs in the Jeff get each from BT sponsorship ?

£152M over 4 years. Not be specified how much is premiership and how much is Europe.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Aug 2013, 7:26 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
rosbif wrote:How much do the clubs in the Jeff get each from BT sponsorship ?

£152M over 4 years. Not be specified how much is premiership and how much is Europe.

Surely the clubs and RFU must know what is going on? They must know how much they will receive from BT for the up coming season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

I'm sure they do. We don't. Exactly the same as us not knowing how much Previous deals are exactly, or how they break down. How much do the WRU get from the BBC for the Pro12? Never seen it in print anywhere. This information isn't generally released in deal.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm

We know exactly how much the WRU get from TV rights and how much the regions are paid.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:04 pm

Do you maes? You know (roughly) how much the WRU get from Auntie and how much the Regions receive from out of the black box after the earnings have been stirred around by the bean counters at WRUHQ.

All the punters know is how much in total is the sum of the Regional subsidy.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:We know exactly how much the WRU get from TV rights and how much the regions are paid.

That's not what I said, is it? I asked how much the WRU get for the Pro12 from the BBC.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:14 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:And when will BTV be instructed by [ed] Oftel Ofcom to make their Sport channels available to Virgin customers?

there currently in talks about bringing bt sports to the virgin platform.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:The prospect of live Premiership rugby games being aired on free-to-air TV appears to have been kicked into touch after it emerged that BT has been unable to agree a deal with broadcasters.

ITV has signed up highlights of the forthcoming rugby Premiership season, but the broadcaster's potential plan to air some games live has waned.

After BT signed the deal, Peter Tom, the chairman of Leicester Tigers rugby club, had said the contract could see some games broadcast live on terrestrial television.

didn't even know there were talks about getting the free to air tv companies trying to air any live games.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:45 am

Virgin Media have pulled in BTV1 and BTV2 (channels 547/8) for no additional charge. Very Happy 

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 16 Aug 2013, 4:31 pm

ESPN wrote:
Code:
French clubs target new bumper TV deal
ESPN Staff
August 12, 2013
Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal watches his side in action, Toulon v Bayonne, Top 14 Orange, Stade Felix Mayol, Toulon, France, January 28, 2012
Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal is among those thought to be pushing for a new TV rights deal © Getty Images
Enlarge
Related Links
News: Wilkinson refuses to rule out new deal
News: Wilkinson heads Top 14 pay league
News: Sky Sports secure PRO12 broadcast deal
News: Premiership Rugby announce BT broadcast deal

France's leading clubs are reportedly set to activate a cancellation clause in their agreement with broadcasters Canal+ in the hope of securing a more lucrative TV rights deal.

Canal+ has been the Top 14's principle partner since 1995 and has been a key factor in the league's development during the professional era during which time it has grown into arguably the strongest professional competition in the rugby world.

The latest agreement was struck in 2011 with Canal+, a pay-TV service that forms part of the French media and telecommunications giant Vivendi SA, able to negotiate a reduction on their previous deal as the only broadcaster vying for the rights.

The French clubs had to settle for a five-year deal worth €158.5m (£136.1m), or €31.7m (£27.2m) per season that reportedly left a bitter taste in the mouth of the owners who hoped to secure a boost in revenue in line with the bumper deal struck between Canal+ and France's leading football competition, Ligue 1.

However, the clubs held onto a lifeline in the form of a get-out clause that would allow them to cancel the agreement after two years in the hope that a more competitive rights market had developed. The window for such a move begins on September 1 and stretches to December 31 and would enable the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR), the umbrella body for the country's leading clubs, to put the rights out to tender once again.

The last two years have seen beIN Sport, a global network of sports channels backed by Qatari Sports Investments, emerge as a key player in the world of TV sports rights and reports suggest they are interested in expanding their portfolio with Top 14 rugby.

L'Equipe reports that club presidents Alain Afflelou (Bayonne), Mourad Boudjellal (Toulon), Mohed Altrad (Montpellier), Jacky Lorenzetti (Racing Metro) and Laurent Marti (Bordeaux-Begles) are pushing for a re-negotiation. "Two years ago, Canal+ underpaid for the rights," said Marti. "The current agreement is laughable...We must terminate and re-negotiate."

Boudjellal added, "In 2011, their first offer of €20m was almost shameful, almost a way of taunting us."

beIN Sport is seen as a major rival for Canal+ in France despite boasting only a reported 1.8m subscribers to their rival's 9.8m. But any reported interest in the Top 14 may prompt a re-think by Canal+ and an offer of a new and improved deal.

Other clubs are understood to favour a re-negotiation with their long-term broadcast partners LNR president Paul Goze has refused to be drawn on the subject of a bidding war or contact with beIN Sport.

"Do not listen to everything that is said or written," he said earlier this year. "Our contract expires at the end of the 2015-2016 season with an option to terminate between September and December 2013. This is why we watch. We have decided nothing. And in the event that the LNR end the contract, it will launch a tender involving Canal."
Looks like the LNR are prepared to roll the dice like the PRL (possibly).

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 16 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Virgin Media have pulled in BTV1 and BTV2 (channels 547/8) for no additional charge. Very Happy 
Can't get Virgin Media in my area Crying or Very sad 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 16 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm

Condolences Scrumpy. We've found it very good and I was almost resigned to seeing no Jeff on the box this season.

Montpelier v Toulon tonight so I can run the rule over Montpelier as they are in the Leicester/Ulster/Treviso group.

Good to get my first sight of the new scrum engagement laws too.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 16 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

Hull Sad 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 16 Aug 2013, 6:16 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Hull Sad 
Ah the great Telephonic Republic of Hull with its very own network too eh?
I don't think they've ever heard of the word virgin there either, sadly.
Still you've got William Wilberforce and Amy Johnson and the Cod War veterans.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:48 pm

Portney,

I have removed your previous post – your language choice wasn’t appropriate for the forum and raised complaints.

RDW

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:53 pm

A blonde lady of Scottish origin and with BBC on her cv is host.
Geoffrey Boycott's mum couldn't have made a worse fist than Sky's erstwhile T14 coverage.
Simon Shaw is a an absolutely clueless summariser.
And the TV studio set hurts the eyes.
[ed 2] And the ref was pretty useless at the new scrum Laws at least until the second half when a better set of scrummagers came on at which time he became just weak.

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:54 pm

That's better!OK 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:01 pm

Gabby Logan is on BT sport ? I'm out
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:05 pm

munkian wrote:Gabby Logan is on BT sport ? I'm out
Is she? I haven't seen her.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

Whose the blonde sweatie then ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

munkian wrote:Whose the blonde sweatie then ?
If I knew, munk, I'd tell.
But equally if I responded to either 'sweatie' or 'sweetie' there'd be complaints...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

Its rhyming slang innit my old china
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:57 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:
But equally if I responded to either 'sweatie' or 'sweetie' there'd be complaints...
Incidentally, Gabby's English although I hear from time to time that there is some Scottish and/or English in her depending on the situation.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm

munkian wrote:Its rhyming slang innit my old china
I know. as Gabby always says when peed off, "Oh shove a sock in it!"

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:24 am

Despite this potential banana skin of a presenter I've signed up to the full package, get £75 credited to my account and have it installed next Friday, boom
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:33 am

Trying to get a Virgin Media anywhere login off my friend so I can watch the BT Sport Channels. Already have a Sky login off another friend, need to cover all the bases!

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:40 am

She's innocuous enough, munki

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:49 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Have you switched yet?
What have been your experiences?

I want to know if it'll be worthwhile - I'm out in the sticks and currently on Virgin which has for us been [ed very good excellent] so persuading Portnoyova to agree will be difficult. So I need to produce a convincing business plan.

Good good. When does the Jeff kick off then ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before but do the other two broadcasters (I'm with SKY) have access to the various BBC Regional Channels and S4C - whilst I wouldn't mind the Jeff coverage I'm not prepared to lose the free Rabo coverage on BBC NI/Wales/Alba and S4C as well as the local programming which isn't on the general BBC channels.
Also anyone got the figures for the various packages as a comparator - I presume I'll have to take the broadband offering of whichever I got with?
Thanks,
IL

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

You own your sky box. so when you stop paying your sub, you can still get all the free to air channels. you just can't pause or record them internally.

What you lose is the paid stuff like sports, films, chanels like sky atlantic etc.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before but do the other two broadcasters (I'm with SKY) have access to the various BBC Regional Channels and S4C - whilst I wouldn't mind the Jeff coverage I'm not prepared to lose the free Rabo coverage on BBC NI/Wales/Alba and S4C as well as the local programming which isn't on the general BBC channels.
Also anyone got the figures for the various packages as a comparator - I presume I'll have to take the broadband offering of whichever I got with?
Thanks,
IL
S4C is listed on there, doesn't mention the regional channels but I can't see why it wouldn't pick them up if Sky does.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:44 pm

Feic, bit worried now...Pretty sure Sky box wont work as the viewing card won't be valid once subscription is cancelled surely ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:19 pm

munkian wrote:Feic, bit worried now...Pretty sure Sky box wont work as the viewing card won't be valid once subscription is cancelled surely ?
Ok, apparently you can still use your skybox with its card after you've unsubscribed for Freeview channels, hopefully I'll retain BBC2W/Alba etc for ScrumV etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

You can (or could) get a freesat card for a one off payment but you can get most of the free satellite channels after the sky box subscription runs out.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

Incidentally, Gabby's English although I hear from time to time that there is some Scottish and/or English in her depending on the situation.
I always though Gabby was Welsh, going on the back of her dad, Terry Yorrath, being Welsh (played and coached our football side).

BT do have Mrs Easterby signed up to do the rugby stuff mind.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:08 pm

munkian wrote:Feic, bit worried now...Pretty sure Sky box wont work as the viewing card won't be valid once subscription is cancelled surely ?
When I ditched Sky I just got myself a freesat box (if I'd had a normal aerial I'd have got a freeview one as they are generally a bit cheaper). It got all the freeview channels in SD and HD and it did all the recording, pausing, rewinding, etc. Plus I could use it for iPlayer and ITVplayer. I think I paid £180 - but I'm sure you can get them for less now. It's a bit of an outlay, but long term is cheaper than forking out for Sky.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm

Big wrote:
When I ditched Sky I just got myself a freesat box (if I'd had a normal aerial I'd have got a freeview one as they are generally a bit cheaper).  It got all the freeview channels in SD and HD and it did all the recording, pausing, rewinding, etc.  Plus I could use it for iPlayer and ITVplayer.  I think I paid £180 - but I'm sure you can get them for less now.  It's a bit of an outlay, but long term is cheaper than forking out for Sky.
Found out you can keep using sky hd box for freeview, just need to find out if it will still get BBC2 Wales, ALba, NI etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by iantobquick Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

Hi all.

Sorry, this is a bit off message but does anyone know about the regularity of the red button "Rick O'Shea" coverage on a Friday night. I can never work out how often I should get this. I don't have sky, BT or any other media option...so my Rugby is down to 6N BBC,the red button and whatever I can get on-line maybe from S4C!!!

Any info appreciated. Thanks

iantobquick

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/jeff-probyn/10722/jeff-probyn-proposed-heineken-deal-leaves-rabo-with-peanuts/

Interesting article that articulates very well why the Celtic unions have no incentive to submit to the wishes of Wheeler and the PRL.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/jeff-probyn/10722/jeff-probyn-proposed-heineken-deal-leaves-rabo-with-peanuts/

Interesting article that articulates very well why the Celtic unions have no incentive to submit to the wishes of Wheeler and the PRL.
I read that and still believe its a club competition and not a national one. Anywho this should be discussed in a completely different there'd.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

What you believe isn't really the point.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:What you believe isn't really the point.
Actually is is not a matter of belief. It is a club competition.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:55 am

as mentioned above, what anyone believes isnt really the point, it IS a club competition.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:59 am

nathan wrote:
as mentioned above, what anyone believes isnt really the point, it IS a club competition.
Nope the Irish teams aren't clubs.They are regions and are partly funded by the IRFU so that means the IRFU has a say in any negotiations involving those teams.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
nathan wrote:
Nope the Irish teams aren't clubs.They are regions and are partly funded by the IRFU so that means the IRFU has a say in any negotiations involving those teams.
The French and English teams are clubs but we have to stick to whats best for the others..... and some of you guys have the cheek to call us greedy!

agh, this has nothing to do with this thread so we should take the discussion elsewhere.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next